• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

edgeguarding

marthmain

Smash Rookie
Okay so rececntly Ive been trying to master edgeguarding with marth. Ive become proficient with his d tilt, fsmash, b neutral, dair, and have become pretty good at chasing my oponent off the ledge to finish them. After watching some of m2ks videos, I was wondering how he uses moves that have a good amount of lag time and still manage to make it back to the ledge again. I have never been able to use two fairs below the ledge and not suicide.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Any examples? Just try doing 2 fairs in the exact fashion he does them, and you should be able to make it back. It's just copying him..

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
just work on moving as soon as you can. learn the length of moves. go into practice vs a computer and just hang on the ledge and fall off with things and then recover. try to get as flashy as possible.

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
If it helps, what I do is go to training and just make it half speed and kinda see if its possible and get the hang of IASA frames.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
If you grab someone and the ledge is behind you, make sure you Dthrow, they will go father back than Bthrow. (Bthrow sucks)

Just try SH Fairs as fast as possible.
Another thing M2K does is Bthrow, then WD off, grab ledge, then he has invince frames, when someone tries to recovers he Sword Dances and gimps them. Bthrow edgeguard....M2K is really mean.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Two Fairs below the stage is just runoff Fair -> double jump Fair ...
Unless I'm like, totally missing something here.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
Falcon is pretty predictable so I usually just go for a dtilt to get him below stage (if he recovers kinda high) and then fsmash when tries for the next upb

falco you can just run out and do the side-b thing. or basically anything else that involves your sword. and he'll probably die

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Marth's edgeguard isn't very good.

Does anyone know how to edgeguard Falcon or Falco??
you just hit them with your sword....Or wait for them to do there "oh he didn't see that coming" air dodge onto the stage and then grab them, and toss their *** back off LOL.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
use the spirit world to touch their soul and you will know what to do. let the serpent demon that lives in the waters of time guide you, child.

or swing your sword / edgehog --> swing your sword / jump offstage --> swing your sword

that's pretty good too

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Roll if you think the Sheik is going to sweetspot, ledgedash Fsmash or Dthrow otherwise
Ledgehop Dair if they land right on the edge

That's probably something like it

Edgeguarding Sheik blows as Marth

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Does anyone have any advice on edgeguarding Sheik?
Troll? Anyway. What No Cash does is ****, he grabs ledge, Sheik recovers infront of him. And then he SB regrabs. (as in on ledge, jump, SB and you can grab without falling below it.

So it either hits her, or does shield damage <3

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Just for the sake of letting people know better options...

Hold the ledge is correct, but if they are approaching from horizontal, as they are exploding, do a normal standup onto the stage. If you do it right, you will hold the ledge to cover them grabbing it, and get up in time to grab them if they go for the stage. If they are approaching with upb from the bottom, get back on top of the stage, its easier to just guard against them regaining top control. Or roll up. w/e
More options are % dependent:

Low percent, grabbing and throwing off or throwing to follow combo is best. If you are more comfortable with her off stage and keeping her from getting on and regaining stage control, throw off. If you aren't, combo her up so every time you hit her, she goes off stage. Just be aware that Marth is bad against high % opponents.

Mid percent. Grab them and throw them off or hold the ledge while they go for the stage, then jump on and dair them. It'll pop them up and you can do a nice combo across the stage or push them back off the way they came.

High percent, grab them and throw them off, or ledge wavedash and grab from the opposite direction and fthrow. Or just do a strong move. w/e

Note: A much safer option is to just stay in ledge guard range, which is just the tipper dtilt/fsmash against a normal getup from the edge. Learn this spacing and how to defend the stage and people will get ridiculously frustrated every time they are holding the side of the stage because they can't get back on.

Another note: These options change slightly if there is a platform for them to upb to. Which is most of the neutrals. But you get the picture here.

The SB from the ledge thing is not really... useful. A weak as **** SB from the ledge hitting them just puts them back in the middle of the stage. Against their shield, at best it'll reduce them to a little less than half shield and then... they go back to the middle of the stage and wait for their shield to come back to full while charging needles to throw at you as you try to get back on stage. Fail/Fail imo. Even nair from the ledge is a better option imo just because you can L-cancel it and follow. Or fair. Or dair. Or uair. I'd probably late hit uair.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I tried late hit Uair and Sheik's up-b animation puts her in a crouching stance so it just went over her head
I spent the next minute or so cursing in frustration
~_~
Not really
But it was super lame :(

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I tried late hit Uair and Sheik's up-b animation puts her in a crouching stance so it just went over her head
~_~
Not really
That happends to me all the time. Like yesterday Falcon was facing to the left and I was infront of him facing to the left. and He went to grab, I jab (dodging his grab) and then Shine Bair him lol.

Falcon sucks.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
~_~
Not really
It's a timing thing. You have to wait for her to return to stand from the lag, but not too long or she can shield or return to CC.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The problem with fsmash is that sheik is mid weight and fsmashing her just lets her approach the stage from a higher angle, which gives her more options to safely make it back.

But yeah it's awesome and I like doing it too.

Niko45

Smash Master
I just like that it gives me the opportunity to flirt with bairing her as she comes back. Idk, edgeguarding sheik is a work in progress for me.

makoforce

Smash Ace
ledgehop dair is fun but I find that holding down thwarts it until way too high a percent.

And it's pretty DI dependent on whether you can get a tipper in the right direction, etc...

yeah I have nooo idea how to edgeguard sheik.
hold the edge until she up B's then before she lands on stage WD from the edge and fsmash her lol

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
hold the edge until she up B's then before she lands on stage WD from the edge and fsmash her lol
You'll never tipper a Sheik if you wait until you know they're going on stage and non-tipper Fsmash totally blows.

At least, I can't ~_~

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
nah b you got the poof tricksies

take that marth mwahahaha

random come on to niko here <-----

serious thing starts here <-------

i don't actually know how guaranteed it is

but it seems hardddddddd

since you have to space mainly with the waveland

which is hardddd

and it means the reduced lag poof ***** it

but if they can't reduced lag poof (or they don't do it often) then yeah just do it like it's going out of style lololol

and interesting trick... below 100, roll f-smash often tips on the reduced lag poof actually but timing is tricky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W8vjLms3c&feature=related#t=4m37s

This

Top Bottom