• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeguarding

JRod1887

Smash Rookie
Years removed from ever playing Melee or Smash Bros 64, I picked up my copy of Brawl about 3 months ago and started playing with friends. Over the past month, we've gotten into a debate about edgeguarding and whether or not it is fair in the game, as it has become more of a deciding factor over who wins the game. My stance is that if you don't want someone to edgeguard you, don't put yourself in a position to get edgeguarded, and learn how to beat it. The opposing stance is that it's a cheap way to earn a kill that only 'newbies' use because it doesn't take much skill. Fortunately, in my search for an answer, I found this forum. Perhaps some of you guys can enlighten me, but here's my defense:

The idea that edgeguarding is cheap doesn't make sense to me, as there are plenty of ways to adjust to edgeguards. Taking Lucario(who I use most often), for instance- UpB, those blue-energy balls(excuse the terminology), and clinging to ledges come off the top of my head as ways to counter edgeguarding. Another defense against edgeguarding, which I was actually pretty shocked to read a couple reports here about, is the mindgame(which is something that seems to be a deciding factor in most matches as far as adjusting to your opponents behaviors and keeping your own game unpredictable). The other flaw I see with this argument is that edgeguarding has to take some skill, especially when you are jumping off the edge to attack the opponent in midair.

Sure, there is a clear advantage for the person who is edgeguarding, but there wouldn't be edges in the game if they weren't meant to be used. The bottom line in my mind is that with just like every other aspect of the game, edges are something to adjust your game around. If you can't beat it, you deserve to lose.

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Lol this reminds me of myself years ago.... anyways OT edgegaurding definitely isn't cheap edgegaurding requires much practice and is not an easy kill. It also adds so much more depth to the game.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Saying edgeguarding is unfair and that it is a deciding factor over the game is like saying KOing your opponents is unfair because it is THE deciding factor in the game.

Red Mage16

Smash Rookie
You have come to the right place, JRod. This forum has a strong tendency toward competitive play, and the cardinal rule of competitive play is: Anything goes, unless it is so broken that it preempts the use of any other possible action.

You are absolutely right in saying that someone who cannot overcome an edgeguard should "get over it" because even if it is possible for you to have 0% chance of surviving an edgeguard, the opportunity you had was to avoid being hit off the stage in the first place.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
when I first became aware of purposeful edgeguarding for KOs i thought it was cheap

but i've come to realize its just part of the game and if both players use it then its fair...and its not like its always an easy kill

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
in brawl everything is fair.
Except for tripping ^_^. Anyway, Edguarding is definetly not cheap. Think of it like this.

Person A: Oh no, I died because you killed me while I was off the ledge trying to recover!

Person B: Oh? Who put you off the ledge?

Person A: ...You.

=)

peeup

Smash Lord
I'm fine with edge guarding but edge hogging bothers me.

You're kidding right? Its annoying (trust me, I main Olimar, its how I get killed half the time), but its part of what makes smash such a good game. Offstage fighting and edgehogging give the game more depth than other fighting games.

pirkid

Smash Lord
in brawl everything is fair.
*wants to siggy*

Me and my friends debate over the same thing. And it comes down to if it's *nub* or not.
Mostly we don't edgeguard during our matches, just because we're closly related in terms of prowess and it's more of a challenge to let the opponent get bakc on the stage for another round. :D

Hype

Smash Lord
I hate it when someone says something is cheap, It just one of those things that bugs me. edgegaurding is not cheap at all.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
For some bizarre reason, a lot of Olimar players I come across totally counter ANY of my edge-guards! :embarrass :embarrass I don't know how they do it, but it's amazing. :)

Now, back on topic, edge-guarding isn't really that cheap. In Melee, I thought it was cheap, because my friend... who mains marth (LOL) edge-guarded me a lot. And one time, he pointed out to me there was a 5000 or so point award if you edge-guard in a match, which changed me over to thinking edge-guarding isn't a cheap kill, it's a technique. And to be honest, it takes a while to master and perfect.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Edge guarding pisses me off considering its how I get half my damage and usually all my deaths when I play my one friend, but thats my problem. It just means I need to work on my game more.
Edge guarding is fair.
Pisses me off, but fair.

dowingba

Smash Rookie
For some bizarre reason, a lot of Olimar players I come across totally counter ANY of my edge-guards! :embarrass :embarrass I don't know how they do it, but it's amazing. :)

Now, back on topic, edge-guarding isn't really that cheap. In Melee, I thought it was cheap, because my friend... who mains marth (LOL) edge-guarded me a lot. And one time, he pointed out to me there was a 5000 or so point award if you edge-guard in a match, which changed me over to thinking edge-guarding isn't a cheap kill, it's a technique. And to be honest, it takes a while to master and perfect.
Er, Melee also has like a 10,000 point award for "Cheap KO".

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Ahh, the edgeguard and the edgeguard. This is my problem when I'm playing with a certain set of friends. You see, one set of friends came with me into the world of competitive Smash, so when we play, with or without items, we john and *****, but we know from the jump that anything goes. However, another set of friends that I play with say that edge-guarding, spiking, and edgehogging is cheap, but they have no remorse when they win a match via a Pokeball, a Hammer, or a Smash Ball (and thus generally refuse to play me without items because they know what's gonna happen)... So what the **** am I supposed to do about that? Edgeguard even more, just to rub my skill in their faces.

Continue to edgeguard, Original Poster.

Top Bottom