• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

edge cancelling

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Edge cancelling is a powerful technique, where moves with momentum (including all aerials and some b moves) can be cancelled entirely by "sliding" them off of edges of platforms or levels. A lot of people know about this in general, but few people use it as much as they could or should, and so I hope this video gives people some inspiration and ideas:

Edge Cancelling - Slide of Hand

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, this. I remember really seeing it for the first time in your other vid, Phannacies I think? Real cool stuff, I did some edge-cancelled bairs during a match today for an unexpected kill. Pretty useful technique to learn.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Boot - There's plenty of uses. The main thing I use it for is to aid in recovery. Many recovery techniques leave you lagging a bit before you can move again. This is bad. You can edge cancel to take care of this, however. Try to land near an edge and slide off - significantly less lag time to be punished.

Even with L-canceling, there's still a substantial amount of lag on both the links' dairs (just to mention a couple) which can be punished. I find myself using Ylink's dair a lot more if I know I can edge-cancel it if I miss, often jumping into another air move immediately (or run the hell away throwing things).

I'm surprised Phanna didn't show Samus' uses for it. Maybe because they're not as flashy/spamy, but they've saved me quite a bit. Samus' Screw attack is commonly used defensively against enemies that are a little too close or pressuring her shield. This can leave her lagging and vulnerable, at times so much so the opponent will get a free hit in. You can (fastfall) to an edge and get rid of the lag far quicker than your opponent typically will recover from the screw attack, often fast enough to get another hit in (usually bair) if you're lucky. On levels with platforms (specifically Yoshi's and FoD) this is a lot easier, but I've used it on Final D plenty.

There's a ton of other uses, hope this gives you a good idea to start with.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i use it as part of a ken combo or just as an assault of fairs in midair combat

Boot Bunny1

Smash Cadet
ok that makes sense Paradigm, its just that in his video all he was doing is showing off and having fun. in fact, i was just looking for videos like that and found some better examples.

i mean come on, whats the use to pikachu head butting back and fourth? lol

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think the best part of this thread is the music choice for the vid itself XD, so much that I felt like commenting on it. To stay on topic and not be a spamming mod though I have to say something else so here goes:

This has been known for a while but it's one of those things that few really work with and do. I myself haven't incorporated it, but seeing it again after a while makes me want to use it. Just another thing to help reduce lag.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
another edgecancel in a different way is running with falco or fox, then you reverse shorthop laser on to the edge, slide off, and then you grab the ledge. its faster than waveshine turn in the longrun

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
is he just wavelanding?
I don't think I quite understand...

Corigames

Smash Hero
NO Pythag. Wavelanding is when you do the last part of the wavedsh after coming from very far in the air. What he is doing is Attacking (with an arial move) towards an edge. The DI allows the player to slide off. When they do, they can mid-air jump and do the same arial again. Lather, rense, repeat.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i forgot thst another thing similar is wavedashing off the ledge and you di off the stage so you dont grab the ledge, but can do a midair attack. this sets up an easy marth combo(if hit)
it is also a faster way to continuosly lhdl

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Oh man, this is so handy with Fox. You can spam bairs until the cows come home.

P.S. The cows never come home.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
i was just trynna do this yesterday, it is harder than phanna makes it look in his video. much harder. but it is a good technique. will take some time to perfect.

Mar~

Smash Apprentice

Last edited:

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
This is a really useful technique for Yoshi, who a) needs more of these things to help his aerial gams and b) has the air control to apply it. You can use it to Dair a ledge then grab it or attack a platform, edge cancel and RDJC. Tres Bon.

vericz

Smash Champion
It's good you made a vid about this cause most people dont see the use of it in real matches nor see it people in vids use it. I use it with a lot of moves with falco

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The one you did with falco's Dair is great to pull in a real match.

Sadly, I am in the habit of hitting L right as I land, and If I do this perfectly a lot of times I will airdodge to my death, or at least into a free hit.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I hadn't realized this thread existed when I posted mine (woops), but you can do it without even sliding off the edge (it is more difficult though).

Eaode

Smash Champion
yeah, if you're facing the ledge you can ledge cancel into your teetering animation, and do any standing attack or start a dash or whatever the hell you want

You could probably edge cancel into a grab. Edge-cancelled Fair -> grab with Marth for instance.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I hadn't realized this thread existed when I posted mine (woops), but you can do it without even sliding off the edge (it is more difficult though).
Well, to slide off an edge while edge-cancelling, hold off the edge with the control stick. To teeter at an edge while edge-cancelling, do not hold off the edge with the control stick. I'm glad people brought up teeter edge-cancelling though, it also has separate uses, and I didn't specifically address it. It does indeed combo well into grabs, especially from laggy moves. My favorite use of teeter edge-cancelling is to do bowser's dair into his Klaw grab :)

But yes, there are two kinds of edge-cancel: sliding, and teetering ("otto" as AR calles it)

psicicle

Smash Ace
hmm I already incorporate edge cancelling into my play subconsciously ecspecially while I'm ganon, but I wan't aware that there was a teeter one. In that type, are you basically in "standing" mode?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
hmm I already incorporate edge cancelling into my play subconsciously ecspecially while I'm ganon, but I wan't aware that there was a teeter one. In that type, are you basically in "standing" mode?
Yeah, you can perform ground attacks with a teeter cancel.

Eaode

Smash Champion
yeah, so you can do any ground attack or then shield, jump, anything.

xeno

Smash Ace
Wow, thanks for the video. I've edge cancelled a lot with Falco and have just been confused at the speed (but ignored it and kept fighting), now I know how to make it happen.. Thanks!

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Cool, I already knew about this just from experimenting with the game but it's cool to see some pros put it to REALLY good use. I liked the Marth D-air's XD

Jibeuz

Smash Cadet
Very usefull with Link's D-Air, wich have a horrible lag ! I made it sometimes but I though that it was only luck but since, I trained it and it's a very good technic !!!
Could be very usefull !

Top Bottom