• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Imagine if either Palutena or Viridi wished they had a retainer like Hubert.
One who'll go behind their backs disobeying orders and hates the idea of gods ruling as much, if not more so than Edelgard? They'd probably prefer someone like Dedue.

At any rate, the likely main takeaway of the conversation is how trust and faith have to be a two-way street between rulers and subjects/friends for either of them to find success. Edelgard/Hubert could then provide their own opinion of how they feel immortal beings are unlikely to do this with mortal subjects, due to difficulty relating that isn't always immediately apparent.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
One who'll go behind their backs disobeying orders and hates the idea of gods ruling as much, if not more so than Edelgard? They'd probably prefer someone like Dedue.

At any rate, the likely main takeaway of the conversation is how trust and faith have to be a two-way street between rulers and subjects/friends for either of them to find success. Edelgard/Hubert could then provide their own opinion of how they feel immortal beings are unlikely to do this with mortal subjects, due to difficulty relating that isn't always immediately apparent.
Hubert it's extremely loyal to Edelgard and always thanks about how to help her, and how to avoid potential failing; her negative views in the church are probably related to his upbringing...

But yeah, Goddesses would prefer a completely loyal dog like Dedue or a zealot like Catherine.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hubert it's extremely loyal to Edelgard and always thanks about how to help her, and how to avoid potential failing; her negative views in the church are probably related to his upbringing...

But yeah, Goddesses would perfect a completely loyal dog like Dedue or a zealot like Catherine.
Palutena is a bit complicated in that she's the most aware of herself and other gods having huge egos that take even the slightest deference to their authority poorly (getting upset over something as small as not addressing them properly), and tries to move past them. The way she's raised Pit has him being extremely loyal, but not so much that he puts her on too big of a pedestal or kisses the ground she walks on. He will openly defy her if she strays from her path, showing that he serves her as a friend, not as a symbol. So who knows, maybe she at least would like having someone as frank as Hubert with her, as long as he remains polite about his misgivings.

The Chaos Kin-influenced Palutena also behaves in a manner very similar to the disillusioned Seiros you see in Crimson Flower, which is a testament to her character actively fighting against all these negative urges in most situations.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Greetings, fellow Ardrestians.
Australian Edelclaude.jpg

It is I, a normal Black Eagle and Edelgard supporter. I am absolutely not a Golden Deer here to secretly infiltrate an enemy base.

Now let us discuss how much we all hate crests, as perfectly normal Black Eagles like me always do.

Original Image Source: https://twitter.com/clairesart_/status/1173233969015312389

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, while so far this poll isn't spread around at the moment, it's the first one in English, so let's go support Edelgard (and whoever else you like) in it!

EDIT: Since I had a little of free time I've decided to create one of those "_______ For Smash!" Accounts for Edelgard on Twitter (since I was surprised that I couldn't find one).
I've also made a chart about what could Edelgard bring on the table:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There was a problem fetching the tweet

So, while so far this poll isn't spread around at the moment, it's the first one in English, so let's go support Edelgard (and whoever else you like) in it!

EDIT: Since I had a little of free time I've decided to create one of those "_______ For Smash!" Accounts for Edelgard on Twitter (since I was surprised that I couldn't find one).
I've also made a chart about what could Edelgard bring on the table:
My only issue is the typo for Garreg Mach. :p Other than that, great job!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My only issue is the typo for Garreg Mach. :p Other than that, great job!
DAMN I KNEW I WAS MISSING SOMETHING! DAMN CREST!
I will fix it later today.
Edit: Here it is, thank you for making me notice it.

Also I've come across another interesting read about how Edelgard says "sensei" in the japanese script, which adds another layer to her relationship with Byleth
https://www.reddit.com/r/Edelgard/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I posted this on the Byleth thread, but figured this thread was where it was more relevant but I want to ask: Am I not the only who will be genuinely upset if not outright furious if Byleth gets in?

Its not cause I don't think they don't have potential for a solid moveset (as the potential IS there, I can see it); its mainly cause that would make them the third freaking avatar rep on the FE side. Corrin was bad enough, but with Byleth it feels like it would set a bad precedent that the FE side will favor silent, self-insert protgonists over actual characters with establish personalities and story from now on when it comes to character reps.

It's bad enough that I'm hating that Japan is gungho crazy for avatar characters thay Byleth has more support than the other three leaders, along with them being the most likely choice because of them being the player character. Because all it does is tell me to imagine: The FE series has and will have many interesting characters with distinct playstyles and unique personalities, yet all peope want to do is play as swordie self insert avatar. Ugh! -_-

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I posted this on the Byleth thread, but figured this thread was where it was more relevant but I want to ask: Am I not the only who will be genuinely upset if not outright furious if Byleth gets in?

Its not cause I don't think they don't have potential for a solid moveset (as the potential IS there, I can see it); its mainly cause that would make them the third freaking avatar rep on the FE side. Corrin was bad enough, but with Byleth it feels like it would set a bad precedent that the FE side will favor silent, self-insert protgonists over actual characters with establish personalities and story from now on when it comes to character reps.

It's bad enough that I'm hating that Japan is gungho crazy for avatar characters thay Byleth has more support than the other three leaders, along with them being the most likely choice because of them being the player character. Because all it does is tell me to imagine: The FE series has and will have many interesting characters with distinct playstyles and unique personalities, yet all peope want to do is play as swordie self insert avatar. Ugh! -_-
You are a hypocrite, and that's all I am going to say until you reflect on things that said, things that were said to you and how they've made you feel. Assuming you're not just a troll.

I want to see how long this takes.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
You are a hypocrite, and that's all I am going to say until you reflect on things that said, things that were said to you and how they've made you feel. Assuming you're not just a troll.

I want to see how long this takes.
lol how is it hypocritical to not want a emotionless avatar in over a character with a established design and personality?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's not do this, guys. This is the Edelgard thread.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Let's not do this, guys. This is the Edelgard thread.
That's right - clearly, the Crests are to blame for all of this!

Seriously, though, Aeon_Shadow Aeon_Shadow , don't try to pit fandoms against each other. Personally, I had enough of that in the build-up to E3. There's no point in getting "absolutely furious" over the possibility of one character getting in over another, especially when there's no guarantee that there will be a new Fire Emblem character. (though I feel like it's pretty likely for the post-Fighters-Pass DLC) There's no reason to try and stir up trouble like this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Let's talk Battalions. Does Edelgard have her own exclusive one and if so, what does it do? Do you think it could be a move? Which input?
Rage of Flames is a big explosion that not only hits ths target but also enemies surroindomg the target. I see it as a final smash personally, Gambit Boosted by Byleth, Hubert and idk, Ferdinand

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rage of Flames is a big explosion that not only hits ths target but also enemies surroindomg the target. I see it as a final smash personally, Gambit Boosted by Byleth, Hubert and idk, Ferdinand
Same here, and with the same set of characters too. Mainly because Byleth is an obvious pick, Hubert is her retainer, and Ferdinand is, despite his one-upsmanship, easily the next most loyal ally of hers.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Same here, and with the same set of characters too. Mainly because Byleth is an obvious pick, Hubert is her retainer, and Ferdinand is, despite his one-upsmanship, easily the next most loyal ally of hers.
How funny would it be though if her Down B was a cart filled with explosions pushed forward by Hubert.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Would it be possible to fit Dorothea in any of this? She's been gaining popularity recently.
Are you sure this isn't just a fad caused by her birthday being a few days ago?

There can be a multitude of reasons she's at the top of of in-game lists, she's a versatile unit who makes a good dancer with little investment and can bombard from a long range with Meteor or Thoron. But there has never been a character included in any way past a trophy for happening to be a good unit in their respective game alone. The most I see all of this doing is just putting her high on the list for spirit choices.

You start talking about this stuff like this, it raises uncomfortable questions like about why Marth isn't getting any assistance from an actual wife that is Caeda...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we're to expect the minimum, Edel should only get assistance from generic soldiers. No need to make much unique models there, I guess.

That's right - clearly, the Crests are to blame for all of this!

Seriously, though, Aeon_Shadow Aeon_Shadow , don't try to pit fandoms against each other. Personally, I had enough of that in the build-up to E3. There's no point in getting "absolutely furious" over the possibility of one character getting in over another, especially when there's no guarantee that there will be a new Fire Emblem character. (though I feel like it's pretty likely for the post-Fighters-Pass DLC) There's no reason to try and stir up trouble like this.
It's all just fear of the unknown and assuming the "eeeeevil" companies wouldn't let Sakurai do things on his own volition. And the guy was openly reluctant about adding an unproven FE character as DLC last time.

I mean really, there's enough cynicism to go around from some of the regulars over at the Geno thread. We should just chill out and play other stuff until something actually happens by the end of the year.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If we're to expect the minimum, Edel should only get assistance from generic soldiers. No need to make much unique models there, I guess.

It's all just fear of the unknown and assuming the "eeeeevil" companies wouldn't let Sakurai do things on his own volition. And the guy was openly reluctant about adding an unproven FE character as DLC last time.

I mean really, there's enough cynicism to go around from some of the regulars over at the Geno thread. We should just chill out and play other stuff until something actually happens by the end of the year.
I've seen what he posted in the Byleth thread. It's not just fear... it's unbridled arrogance. Places way too much importance on their own opinions to the point of being unable to take even the slightest (indirect) criticism to the things the person likes or feels how things should go, yet feels totally justified in doing the same unprovoked, to the point of shaming. Whatever sliver of respect I had for the person is gone now.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Sorry maybe it's just me being ansty. Three Houses to me feels like the first time a non-avatar character may have a legit chance to bring something new to the table (what with how all three house leaders are a change of pace from the standard Lords) and yet it seems like the playerbase all just have their eyes on another avatar swordie. It's why I've retroactively started hating Corrin's inclusion for 1) "taking" the extra FE slot despite not "earning" it, and 2) being another avatar character which starts setting up a bad precedent for FE reps.

Bad enough Edelgard already has some bad rep from casuals who throw around fascist, Hitler, whatever labels. Is it too much to ask to feel vindicated?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Bad enough Edelgard already has some bad rep from casuals who throw around fascist, Hitler, whatever labels. Is it too much to ask to feel vindicated?
Are people really comparing her to Hilter? Jesus. Other than that being one of the most wild stretches I've heard of that's just also really ****ed up

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
It's why I've retroactively started hating Corrin's inclusion for 1) "taking" the extra FE slot despite not "earning" it, and 2) being another avatar character which starts setting up a bad precedent for FE reps.
Well it is an unfortunate situation we have a fandom that tries to find patterns that don't quite exist. While Byleth does offer something new beyond what his aesthetic would make people think, his inclusion could cause some speculators to believe that the only FE reps that would be added are the avatar characters.

Which is why we need Edelgard to declare war against the establishment and their made-up rules for dictating who and who can't be added to Smash allowing everyone regardless of status a fair shot. Except for those non-video games characters. We don't break that rule.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Are people really comparing her to Hilter? Jesus. Other than that being one of the most wild stretches I've heard of that's just also really ****ed up
Oh, yeah. I was browsing FE memes on reddit a while ago, and I pretty quickly found a memes which shopped Edelgard and Hubert onto said historical figure, with Bernadetta in the background being like "How did I get here???". It was in pretty poor taste.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Oh, yeah. I was browsing FE memes on reddit a while ago, and I pretty quickly found a memes which shopped Edelgard and Hubert onto said historical figure, with Bernadetta in the background being like "How did I get here???". It was in pretty poor taste.
Robespierre would be a way more apt comparison. Overthrowing the Church, getting rid of the nobility, going to war with the monarchies, etc. I'll never understand why people reach so quickly for Hitler as the point of comparison to her when there's almost nothing in common there.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Robespierre would be a way more apt comparison. Overthrowing the Church, getting rid of the nobility, going to war with the monarchies, etc. I'll never understand why people reach so quickly for Hitler as the point of comparison to her when there's almost nothing in common there.
Probably because for most people, Hitler is the first and only person that comes to mind when they think of "evil person in charge of country", regardless of whether or not the ideology fits with the fictional character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because the people who are making these comparisons think Edelgard's merely doing the whole war for power like how Hitler lusted for power and to kill minorities and not because the church ruling Fodlan is a detriment to the people

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Robespierre is a great comparison for Edelgard, to the point that historians are also divided about his action as either a tyrant or a loyal defender of freedom.

TBH the only ones who could go as far as call Edelgard a fascist are those who don't know what a fascist is and only associate that word with bad people.

Especially considering what Dimitri's uncle did to Duscur after the Tragedy....man I really hated that the game barely speaks about that, because yikes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Robespierre is a great comparison for Edelgard, to the point that historians are also divided about his action as either a tyrant or a loyal defender of freedom.

TBH the only ones who could go as far as call Edelgard a fascist are those who don't know what a fascist is and only associate that word with bad people.

Especially considering what Dimitri's uncle did to Duscur after the Tragedy....man I really hated that the game barely speaks about that, because yikes.
I feel Dimitri as a whole is written far too black and white for this game from what I've seen. Especially as Sylvain and Ashe suffer in Part 1 because of the church yet the church good Edelgard trampling the weak blablabla

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I feel Dimitri as a whole is written far too black and white for this game from what I've seen. Especially as Sylvain and Ashe suffer in Part 1 because of the church yet the church good Edelgard trampling the weak blablabla
Yeah, that's my biggest problem with Dimitri and why I can't really like him or his route: he tries too much to see everything as good or bad, to the point of completely skip over the shady things of the Church, which even Claude doesn't fully trust, and in the end makes him not resolve the biggest issue of Fodlan.
I also hated that I would have loved to see something that breaked this atrocius ideology completely, like having Duscur ally with the Empire: would he have gone and slayed every last one of them after all he said to Dedue?

Top Bottom