• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what's even more suspicious than that?

Daemon X Machina got spirits BEFORE it started getting DLC.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...and_2-on-2_battle_modes_future_plans_detailed

Yet TH's DLC has been underway, and bupkis for Smash.

The Tetris collab makes it more jarring as just every big Nintendo release other than Stand Cop and 3H got spirits and even DxM got a spirit. Perhaps they're both being considered as post pass DLC?
In regards to AC, I guess it depends on how much Kamiya begs for it. The guy did a Twitter poll featuring Dante, Ammy, VJ and Wonder Red some time ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly there aren't really any opportunities to spoil anything. They'd honestly have to go out of their way.

Only ones I could think of (outside of outlandish things like Kronya killing Jeralt in the background of the stage or something) would be evolving spirits. You know, like Rhea evolving into Seiros or The Immaculate One, or Edelgard evolving into The Flame Emperor.

Even then though evolving spirits would probably be reserved for the House Leaders and their timeskip versions.
Boxing Ring gonna be real cute with spoilers

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Boxing Ring gonna be real cute with spoilers
Oh god I totally didn't think of the Boxing Ring.

Maybe just go Adrestian Emperor but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to straight up make it

The Flame Emperor.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, they still put in Sans as a costume, even though his role in Undertale's a pretty huge spoiler on one route.

Smash's mainly for older gamers and veterans, and they know it. They won't suddenly pretend to play dumb about things (especially with that cheeky Sheik joke). Even Ultimate's not exempt from this, despite the lack of descriptions for character collectibles.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I mean, they still put in Sans as a costume, even though his role in Undertale's a pretty huge spoiler on one route.

Smash's mainly for older gamers and veterans, and they know it. They won't suddenly pretend to play dumb about things (especially with that cheeky Sheik joke). Even Ultimate's not exempt from this, despite the lack of descriptions for character collectibles.
Dracula spirit have direct spoilers to one castlevania game.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
So, they just announced that Daemon X Machina spirits are coming to Smash Ultimate. Is it just me, or does that make the lack of Three Houses spirits a bit more... noticeable? Not trying to get any hopes up, but I thought I'd point that out.
I've thought about this a lot, actually, since I saw the news. I don't know that it really this means anything, but I do think a Three Houses character is among the most likely Nintendo characters. The game released to positive reception at the end of July, just a few days before Hero launched. The "Mr. Sakurai Presents" Banjo video was recorded two days after the Hero one, and in it, he mentions the announcement of additional DLC past the Fighters Pass. My guess is the announcement of Hero and Banjo at E3 led to a lot of preorders/sales past the initial sales of the Fighters Pass by itself and Joker, and around June - July is when they greenlighted further DLC. If this speculation is true, Three Houses released during the timeframe they would likely be choosing characters.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've thought about this a lot, actually, since I saw the news. I don't know that it really this means anything, but I do think a Three Houses character is among the most likely Nintendo characters. The game released to positive reception at the end of July, just a few days before Hero launched. The "Mr. Sakurai Presents" Banjo video was recorded two days after the Hero one, and in it, he mentions the announcement of additional DLC past the Fighters Pass. My guess is the announcement of Hero and Banjo at E3 led to a lot of preorders/sales past the initial sales of the Fighters Pass by itself and Joker, and around June - July is when they greenlighted further DLC. If this speculation is true, Three Houses released during the timeframe they would likely be choosing characters.
To add onto that, during that time before release, Three Houses was topping the prepurchase charts, so it was pretty much already successful before it even released, which might've caught their eyes. :p

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
As much as I want to continue hoping for Edelgard, a part of me may have to accept also the possibility of Byleth getting in instead. As it stands now: Byleth has more going for them simply due to being the actual player character and is the safer and less "controversial" choice. Unless Sakurai wants to do something different which I hope he does after the 2nd avatar character and the over-abundance of swordies on the FE side (hence why part of me now feels Corrin ruined everything). Playing 3Hs made me realize just how much the FE side in Smash is so stale and doesn't perfectly convey the series too well which I imagine is an issue the FE fandom also feels.

Or they pull an Awakening and add both Byleth AND Edelgard ala Robin and Lucina. And why not, add in Dimitri and Claude there as well for maximum salt from the Smash fanbases lol.
Another blue haired swordsman would be way more controversial than Edelgard. In fact most people I've seen if anything have said they'd be fine with another FE rep if it's her but don't want Byleth. The backlash from the vocal minority of FE fans who clearly only played Azure Moon would be nothing compared to the backlash of the whole fanbase if Byleth got in.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In the DQ livestream, among other things it's been strongly implied that Hero had been planned early enough for DLC that his reveal trailer was made before the others, with even Joker's only being slightly less expensive to make.

This only fuels my belief that the animation studio for TH would collab for a reveal trailer even more.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've seen some people suggesting that they might have been chosen a little after Joker was released, since some people bought the Pass when he was released. But even if that is the case, it would have been in late April and games coming out later in the year would have still be kept in consideration since they wouldn't start working on them until the end of the Fighter Pass next year. I wouldn't even be surprised if they so far planned a 3H character and after Sakurai plays the game he picks who mostly inspires him.

Another blue haired swordsman would be way more controversial than Edelgard. In fact most people I've seen if anything have said they'd be fine with another FE rep if it's her but don't want Byleth. The backlash from the vocal minority of FE fans who clearly only played Azure Moon would be nothing compared to the backlash of the whole fanbase if Byleth got in.
While I think that Byleth is more likely than Edelgard, I still can't understand what makes Edelgard a "controvertial" pick.

-Her morality and the things she does? We have straight up villains like :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultganondorf::ultkrool:, some are even detailed as extremely violent and murderous like :ultdarksamus::ultridley:, as well as a good number of anti-heroes like :ultdarkpit::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultincineroar: , and if it is because she is also a protagonist we still have some morally grey "heroes" with :ultsnake::ultbayonetta::ultsamus:, so it wouldn't really be unprecedented. Heck, many Smash fans want MORE villains and antagonists in Smash, and FE still lacks any kind of it right know.

-It's because she isn't tecnically the main character? Well neither was :ultrobin: when he was picked over :ultchrom: in Smash For, yet most Smash fans were exited because he was a more unique choice. Sure, some complained and voted for Chrom in the Ballot, but he was still added because of how easy he was to make as a clone. And if it is about the "avoiding bias towards one house", Sakurai has already done it with the Pokèmon starters, by adding Robin and Lucina without Chrom unitl Ultimate, Fox and Falco without Peppy and Slippy, Olimar and Alph without Louie, Brittany and Charlie as alts, so he doesn't really care about completing sets or avoiding bias towards certain characters.
And there are quite a lot of things going on for Edelgard that put her above the other two lords (and potentially Byleth themself) in terms of importance to the plot and marketability.

-Her hatebase? Every single character as one, and that didn't stop characters such as :ultridley: or even Sans as a Mii Costume. Also Edelgard's haters are a minority of the FE fanbase, not the Smash one, and still has an enourmeous number of fans, so I don't think she would be more controvertial than Ridley to Ridley's haters or Sans to Sans' haters.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, this came up earlier today:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The latest reply to this is from a fan that wonders whether more characters from existing series can be added, since it wouldn't require to add new songs in the process. What do you think?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

The latest reply to this is from a fan that wonders whether more characters from existing series can be added, since it wouldn't require to add new songs in the process. What do you think?
While this might help first party characters and hinder the TP with problematic music rights (or even just vocal tracks since those are also quite hard to license), I really hope that Edelgard/a 3H rep comes with a few music tracks. That OST is just too good for not being added, especially Blue Skies and a Battle/Between Earth and Heaven and especially God Shattering Star.
I can live without a stage, even if Garrech Mach would be unique aesthetically, but please let us have just a bit of that great music...

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!

I feel the only TH song that could potentially be an issue is The Edge of Dawn. I remember back when the Fates soundtrack was being uploaded to Youtube, the only track that was really being taken down was Lost in Thoughts All Alone, and I suspect that was in part to the JP singer of that song. The Edge of Dawn may face a similar issue with its singer. If anything, we might just get an instrumental remix of it, or if we're lucky, the short version with the lyrics.

D

Deleted member

Just get Apex of the World since that's "Edge of Dawn but doesn't make me cry"

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Why are we worrying about music when Corrin got his with no issue?
Corrin surely sets a precedent (and so does the Sans Mii Costume for Ultimate), but I hope that Edelgard comes with more than just 1 song. Corrin only had Lost in Thoughts All Alone, both the original and a remix of it in Smash For, and just 1 song from 3H would be a little let down.

Also I've just read a very interesting take on one of Edelgard's most controversial thing
The bandits she hired at the beginning of the game.

She never wanted to kill off Dimitri and Claude, her objective was scare away the new teacher so that Jeritza would be the new teacher (as they state in game he would have been the new teacher if Byleth didn't appear). Her plan was to have the bandits attack the camp where they were training, since the Knights of Seiros were so close they wouldn't had any problem fending them off, but things get out of her hand when Claude suddently ran off, forcing her and Dimitri to chase him, as she even states in the game that was "an unexpected move". That made the situation a lot more dangerous since now it was just the three of them alone against the bandits, and that also explain why Edelgard herself was in danger, something that she obviously would have avoided if she had full control of the situation.

I think this is most likely what happened, considering all the bits and pieces in the game.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Why are we worrying about music when Corrin got his with no issue?
I wouldn't really call it "with no issue" when all we ever got were just several versions of Lost in Thought All Alone. Don't get me wrong, the song is good, but there are plenty of tracks from Fates that missed out. Probably the least controversial statement you can make about that game is that its music is great.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Corrin surely sets a precedent (and so does the Sans Mii Costume for Ultimate), but I hope that Edelgard comes with more than just 1 song. Corrin only had Lost in Thoughts All Alone, both the original and a remix of it in Smash For, and just 1 song from 3H would be a little let down.

Also I've just read a very interesting take on one of Edelgard's most controversial thing
The bandits she hired at the beginning of the game.

She never wanted to kill off Dimitri and Claude, her objective was scare away the new teacher so that Jeritza would be the new teacher (as they state in game he would have been the new teacher if Byleth didn't appear). Her plan was to have the bandits attack the camp where they were training, since the Knights of Seiros were so close they wouldn't had any problem fending them off, but things get out of her hand when Claude suddently ran off, forcing her and Dimitri to chase him, as she even states in the game that was "an unexpected move". That made the situation a lot more dangerous since now it was just the three of them alone against the bandits, and that also explain why Edelgard herself was in danger, something that she obviously would have avoided if she had full control of the situation.

I think this is most likely what happened, considering all the bits and pieces in the game.
Well, I could also say Bayonetta set a new precedent of DLC additions when up until her, it was mostly the same barebones addtions in terms of trophies and songs, third-party or not.

Sakurai himself has said it's difficult to find noteworthy locations that would work well as stages for Fire Emblem, because of how flat the maps tend to be, so it may not be the best metric for determining how DLC will go if it gets less.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai himself has said it's difficult to find noteworthy locations that would work well as stages for Fire Emblem, because of how flat the maps tend to be, so it may not be the best metric for determining how DLC will go if it gets less.
Do you have a source on this? This is news to me.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well, I could also say Bayonetta set a new precedent of DLC additions when up until her, it was mostly the same barebones addtions in terms of trophies and songs, third-party or not.

Uhm... i think that 3 houses is THE fire emblem that doesn't have this problem. The ammount of time you spend onthe monastery is super high, it's by far the most recognizable locale and is big enough that there are plenty of places to put teh stage, from a amoving platform like skyloft to maybbe a part of teh bridge? or teh catedral? or the library... etc....

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Do you have a source on this? This is news to me.
No, unfortunately. It's a very old interview that could be outdated, pretty much when all Fire Emblem games were still all 2D I think. Still, it remains a fair point to consider with all the liberties taken just to give more interesting terrain to the levels in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No, unfortunately. It's a very old interview that could be outdated, pretty much when all Fire Emblem games were still all 2D I think. Still, it remains a fair point to consider with all the liberties taken just to give more interesting terrain to the levels in Smash.
Forgive me for remaining skeptical, but even the non-3D games had several locations that were at the very least aesthetically unique that could have been used. I just have trouble imagining a Fire Emblem fan like Sakurai would make that much of a blanket statement on the subject.

Troykv

Smash Master
Forgive me for remaining skeptical, but even the non-3D games had several locations that were at the very least aesthetically unique that could have been used. I just have trouble imagining a Fire Emblem fan like Sakurai would make that much of a blanket statement on the subject.
I think the problem is Fire Emblem doesn't have a Mushroom Kingdom, or Hyrule Field, or Whispy Woods.

Something that everyone can recognize.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's telling that the only actual named location they've used as a stage is an arena.

Maybe they can use the mental space where Sothis' throne is seen, I dunno. Then again :ultincineroar: didn't even come with a stage in the base game, so who knows...

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, assuming that the story DLC involves the Three Houses joining forces, how do you think they will handle it? I'm thinking that they would add support conversations between the house leaders, which would allow them to get closer to each other.

It could be similar to how they handled Byleth and Edelgard, where getting to a certain support rank will allow for certain events to take place.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
One idea I saw was that in chapter 10 where you merge with Sothis you either get a) knowledge of all the other routes (meaning that sothis did some time shemery) or b) swap place with Sothis so that she will be actually reborn. Afterwards you can reveal the true history to the house leaders, tell Rhea that she is grounded and unite the different factions against the true enemy (TWSITD)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So, assuming that the story DLC involves the Three Houses joining forces, how do you think they will handle it? I'm thinking that they would add support conversations between the house leaders, which would allow them to get closer to each other.

It could be similar to how they handled Byleth and Edelgard, where getting to a certain support rank will allow for certain events to take place.
I would love that, but I'm not sure if they will work again on the School Phase.
My personal idea is that it will start immediately after the timeskip
and instead of being awekened by that nameless villager you are brought back by the four leaked new characters, who by the sounds of their names I suppose might be people from TWSITD.

My idea is that they don't want what Thales is aiming, and want your help to reunite the Three Lords against TWSITD. The first chapter would be taking back the Monastery from the bandits, and maybe the three lords appear too because they all promised to be there after five years, and after fending off the bandits the professor convinces them to unite against TWSITD and the Church if Rhea still doesn't want to cooperate (of course they will but maybe after a battle just to add anither chapter).

Or maybe after taking Garrech Mach you travel in the Alliance and the Kingdom in order to resolve the internal problems of them caused by TWSITD (like Cornelia) so that you can gain their trust and together go towards Edelgard in order to "reach for her hand" and convince her to join their cause against TWSITD, which of course she will accept immediately.

I'm not sure where to fit the Church and the Knights of Seiros in this setting, but they might be helping you with taking back the monastery or just appear during a battle and help there.

But regardless I really hope that this DLC makes everyone come together, so not only all the characters can have an happy ending and see some cool support conversations (Edelgard and Claude's would probably be hilarious and heartfelt from start to finish) and maybe also help the fans be less aggressive towards one another, returning to that peaceful time that were the weeks before the release of the game.

Now watch as it is Alois backstory and how he became a Knight, or you siding with TWSITD and killing everyone...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Getting everyone to work together would require one to rewrite most of their backstories and/or fundamental motives.

Rhea would have to not have tried to bring back her mother and fully focused on her duties on archbishop towards the people of Fodlan, thusly doing a better job of protecting them from TWSITD (and possibly even rescuing Edelgard, dampening her hatred of the church somewhat) and realizing that she needs to find a way to break it to them about her lies on history.

Byleth's mother would likely have been experimented on by the Slithers instead (that's another thing, increasing their threat level so that everyone can see them and the danger they pose) to get a second Nemesis out of Byleth, only for the latter to be rescued by Jeralt, who is still with the Knights Of Seiros due to Rhea being less sketchy than before. Thusly Byleth grows up at Garreg Mach and can obtain a teaching position there through hard & determination. Rhea might briefly entertain the possibility of her mother coming back through him, but doesn't let this drive her.

Edelgard still gets tortured and experimented on, but the church catches wind of it and save her, possibly before all her siblings are killed (perhaps they just luck out and start with her first). She still grows to hate the Crest system that the church seemingly perpetuates, but is more willing to compromise with them in light of what they ultimately did for her, her faith in them not being totally shattered.

Dimitri needs to somehow catch wind of Edelgard having been tortured in the past, whether through his own eyes during his traumatic past or the words of a more honest church. So that when he seemingly catches her doing wrong, he can stop himself to reflect on the evidence he has, and realize Edelgard must have a good reason for what she's doing, to try and understand her.

Claude is the only one who can stay pretty much the same, due to growing up mostly outside of Fodlan and away from the machinations of the Slithers.

Basically, all the main characters need to better people and and have had more fortunate lives up until this point, while the Slithers have to be even more evil and powerful.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Right now I'm trying to come up with a Guide conversation for her. DLC characters don't get them, but still. It's always nice to do.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, I just found out that AntDude (a Youtuber who mostly does Kirby content) is a Black Eagles supporter. That's pretty cool.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Right now I'm trying to come up with a Guide conversation for her. DLC characters don't get them, but still. It's always nice to do.
Well, it's a real case study for Palutena and how she does her job to be sure, seeing someone so disillusioned with gods and those who serve them to rise up the way she did. Viridi might just see her as a pretentious upstart, but Palutena might wonder if Edelgard is right in that it's better for immortal beings like her to have a hands-off method of doing things with humans. Meanwhile Pit just finds her really scary.

Also, I just finished Crimson Flower today. That final battle was pretty chaotic. I slipped a main force through the middle-right path while Ferdie and "Burn"ie (because stepping on fire is a good way to get more damage out of her) brought up the rear to stop pesky reinforcements, but even so it was a challenge to approach the boss safely and break it's armour. Of course, Edelgard clutched out the last health bar in one blow of a critical Raging Storm that shattered Aymr (OK it's fine in the cutscene but you get it). As it should be.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Now that I played three houses I think I would prefer Dimitri over Edelgard but I would absolutely love to have her. And a FE TH rep is possible since we didn't have promotional spirit when the game comes out.

Even though I think we'll get Byleth(which I'm OK with tbh)

D

Deleted member

Have her intervene the Guidance since a Palutena/Edelgard convo would be very interesting

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
TVTropes updated their entries on Crimson Flower just in time after I beat it, and manages to succintly summarize what makes the route great in two paragraphs:

Just the fact in this route, YOU are fighting for the Empire fully for the first time in this series history, and unlike the other routes where you generally start as the underdog, the Adrestian Empire is relatively in a strong position after 5 years. For fans who have been clamoring for a more morally ambiguous route, this route WILL have you play as the Anti-Hero or Anti-Villain for the first time in Fire Emblem. And the writing does not disappoint either, bringing down Seiros, abolishing the crest system, corrupt nobility, and giving the people of Fodlan a true chance to rise on their own merits, will make you feel like a badass.

The game doesn't pansy around with how much of a strategic walkover it is, either. It's a central point of the other routes that the Empire has a huge material advantage and could barely be kept at a stalemate until Byleth returned to help tip the scales against them. When they do so in the Empire's favour, their strategy plays out almost exactly as they intend, and their enemies can only muster a single do-or-die counterattack that does some nasty damage but it ultimately repelled without conceding anything. The route is four whole chapters shorter than any other, because the war ends in literally half the time. This is even more impressive when you consider that literally all factions in Fodlan are gunning for the Empire, the fact that only the Church that unlike other routes fully focused on the war with the backing of Seiros a tactical genius with centuries of experience, managed an offensive that failed, Those Who Slither In The Dark launched a missile that destroyed a vital fort and killed several Imperial lives, the rest of the nations were forced on the defensive and basically it's the Empire vs the rest of Fodlan, and they WIN.

Darn straight. Four chapters short and proud of it. And yet, you will still weep at how you destroy your enemies so thoroughly as to reduce them to mere memories... twisted by dishonesty on nearly all sides.

And here's another describing the final battle well:

Chapter 18 has to be one of the most epic final fights in Fire Emblem history. Seiros, knowing Fhirdiad would fall to something as simple as a siege (it's the capital of a kingdom in the snowy north, meaning the BESF can easily starve the people inside with their now limitless resources), decides to reveal her true colors in full and set fire to the city just to kill Edelgard. And Edelgard, showing moral superiority, has none of it; she is well past such dirty, terrible tactics in this route (thanks to Byleth helping her with her trust issues). This all leads up to an awesome Battle Amongst the Flames where you slog through the burning city, destroying massive golems, potentially killing the greatest swordsman in Fodlan (Catherine can give the Death Knight a run for his money), and one of the most faithful knights of Faerghus, and finish by killing a giant dragon.

That "moral superiority", ironic though it may be considering the similar stunt she can pull in other routes, is a true testament to how her dream to abolish crests and allow people to rise on their merits, would ultimately be meaningless if she couldn't even bring herself to trust others to work with. Remembering, or being reminded of this by Byleth is what ultimately keeps her on her right path.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd love for Hubert to show up and roast the three of them over how screwed Pit is, personally.

Top Bottom