• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Echo Characters"

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know people are kinda tired of Fire Emblem reps, but what of Tharja from Robin? She is a prominent spell caster

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Echo Fighters I want to see in Smash Ultimate
Octoling
Chrom
Ninten
Hilda
Funky Kong
King Hippo
Black Shadow
Shadow The Hedgehog
Ms.Pac Man
Ken Masters
Jeanne
Zach

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Alright so I'm not expecting too many Echoes, the one that I'm fairly confident in right now is Dark Samus because of the mysterious costume removal plus its current absence in the Assist Trophy lineup. Outside of that I'm not too sure what to expect, some characters being thrown around like Isabelle and Shadow would be pretty cool on their own but I feel like making them Echo characters would squander some of their potential to be a unique newcomer. Isabelle in particular I can't really see using some of the tools available to Villager, but who knows.

One Echo character I really want to see is Octoling, although I'm not sure how likely that is given how recently Octo Expansion came out so playable Octolings are only now becoming a thing. Still they fit the mold of what an Echo character should be perfectly, in my eyes. Slightly different aesthetics and properties to their attacks (octo weapons have different properties right? It would work perfectly), mostly the same build and weight and all that. Octoling is the only Echo fighter I'm in full support of, I really want Dark Samus too but I would like it even more if it was Luigified.
If you've played Sonic Adventure Battle 2, you'll know that Sonic and Shadow are VERY similar. The biggest difference is the running animation. The only issue is Chaos Control which is a very iconic move for him, so it would have to be somewhere.

Octoling wont happen because of the ink colors. You can't have Inkling and Octolings of the same color as you can seperate who's ink is whos. It works with different colors but not the same.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I would personally be fine if a majority of the newcomers were Echo fighters, I'd rather have 20 new "skins" than 10 brand-new characters!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Octoling wont happen because of the ink colors. You can't have Inkling and Octolings of the same color as you can seperate who's ink is whos. It works with different colors but not the same.
Oh wow I never considered that, I'm sure they could find a way around it if they wanted but you bring up a great point.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I know people are kinda tired of Fire Emblem reps, but what of Tharja from Robin? She is a prominent spell caster
It works. The sword would be a bit awkward but this Robin is also using Dark magic so...meh, Smash can take liberties with Tharja as well.

Anyway, the one I could possibly want the most would be Eliwood as either Roy or Cloud’s Echo Fighter.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh wow I never considered that, I'm sure they could find a way around it if they wanted but you bring up a great point.
I mean...there are more than 8 colors. Sure, you'll end up with different shades of the same color, but it's something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More to the point, Waddle Dee doesn't have a mouth. Like, it's not an artistic thing like Dilbert where his mouth only appears when screaming, Waddle Dees literally don't have mouths.

Side note: I don't think we'll get echos for characters who already have clones like Fox or Marth. Makes me worry for Ninten tho...
Marth got an echo though

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Speaking of Waddle Dee, I actually think he could make a good echo fighter for Kirby, especially since Kirby had that one custom move where he didn’t copy other fighters. I guess it all depends if Sakurai finds “Kirby without copy” to be an idea worth exploring.
What? How? Yall really just throwing out anything by this point lol

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Really the only Echoes I can think of that would make sense and be likely are:

Dark Samus(Samus)
Impa(Sheik)
Dixie Kong(Diddy Kong)
Chrom(Ike)

Octolings aren't likely imo because their focus expansion was released just recently and the whole ink color issue is a thing. Plus they don't operate too differently other than having a different 'squid' form which I'm sure could be done as an alt anyway.
Funky Kong... eh... Maybe? But I'd bet Dixie Kong would be a bigger priority.
Star Fox has a lot of potential, but outside of Krystal who has been deconfirmed already, there's not anyone really worth noting.
Fire Emblem also has a lot of potential for Echoes, but Chrom is honestly the only one I can seriously see being done w/o backlash.
Pokemon always has massive potential for Echoes, but the only one to be close to this is Pichu simply bc most of the 'likely' popular/iconic Pokemon just perform differently.
Alph should've been an Echo. Pikmin deserves it!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yarn/Wooly Yoshi on the other hand would work well as an echo, if they were willing to put the effort into making Wool Balls instead of eggs.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen a lot of people mention Detective Pikachu...

I think it'd be dumb, but with a new movie coming up it could be possible

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tharja has no sword however, she's solely a sorcress who uses spells.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Tharja has no sword however, she's solely a sorcress who uses spells.
What Robin has is more of a dagger than a sword. That, and FE Warriors made her a clone of Robin, so it's possible Smash Bros could use the same logic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What Robin has is more of a dagger than a sword. That, and FE Warriors made her a clone of Robin, so it's possible Smash Bros could use the same logic.
Well it's still called the Levin Sword so...

And how does Robin fight in FE Warriors? Like he does in Smash with the Levin Sword and spells? Or only spells? Never played that game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well it's still called the Levin Sword so...

And how does Robin fight in FE Warriors? Like he does in Smash with the Levin Sword and spells? Or only spells? Never played that game.
Mostly spells, but does use the "sword" a little bit from what I saw of the gameplay.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Though, I suppose Sakurai could make Tharja a Zelda clone instead of Hilda if he wanted her as a pure magic user

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
She doesn't fight with a sword lol

Actually no. Tharja isn't a Lord-type fighter so she's not gonna get in

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Here are the Echo Fighter i can see getting in

:4diddy:- Dixie Kong
:4zelda:- Hilda or Toon Zelda
:4palutena:- Medusa
:4myfriends:- Chrom or Camilla (Probably?)
:4robinm:- Celica
:4megaman:- Roll
:4ryu:- Ken or Sakura
:4villager:- Isabelle
:4bayonetta:- Jeanne
:4pacman:- Ms. Pac-Man
:4fox:- Miyu or Faye (The Girls from Star Fox 2)
View attachment 148840- Octoling
I totally support the idea of Echo Fighters since they don`t take a lot of development time, with 3 already confirmed i can see getting between 3 or 4 more before launch. We just have to wait and see in the coming months.
I'm on board with the star fox 2 girls. They don't have 3D models yet, so I'd be interested in one of them being modeled in a similar style to star fox zero

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I haven't seen this on here but I could see Alm being an Echo for Roy. Of course they would have to mirror swap his animations so he's left handed.

D

Deleted member

Kirby's echo should be...YARN KIRBY!
But Yarn Kirby can't absorb enemies, and that is made clear as soon as Kirby enters the Yarn World.

EDIT: Im too damn slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But If I do say it - and it does happen - the tears will taste sweet as opposed to salty.
Basically ALL the Dixie Kong trophies in Smash Bros. have a mention of her hair abilities. If they'd include Dixie as a pure Echo, that would be a crime. And I don't think that'll happen. She would be a semi-clone at the very worst.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If selecting echo characters is easy and not in the way of the main cast, then I'm fine with them adding quite a few. I don't know if I want my favorite characters as them though, since I'd like new movesets. But I guess I wouldn't mind Impa over Ike with the big sword, since Ike is awesome now. But would they add an echo character of one franchise over another I wonder?
Other than that just give me more cuties, like they did with Daisy :D

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Basically ALL the Dixie Kong trophies in Smash Bros. have a mention of her hair abilities. If they'd include Dixie as a pure Echo, that would be a crime. And I don't think that'll happen. She would be a semi-clone at the very worst.
fr, how are they gonna say stuff like this and entirely ignore it when it comes to making her playable

the ponytail is dixie's THING, you can't add her without including it in her moveset

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Toad is still integrated into Peach's moveset, so Toadette seems like an extremely unlikely echo. Captain Toad is still in the running, I suppose, but I can't see Toadette making it.

As for Dixie, I would be extremely disappointed if she was a Diddy echo. A moveset that doesn't utilize her hair would be a massive disservice to her. I'd prefer she not be playable than to put her in as something she isn't.

I support a Chrom as an echo of Ike. That makes sense to me.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Toad is still integrated into Peach's moveset, so Toadette seems like an extremely unlikely echo. Captain Toad is still in the running, I suppose, but I can't see Toadette making it.
Toadette IS the player character for, like, a third of Treasure Tracker though, and she plays exactly like Captain Toad. So I could easily see her being either an Echo or at the very least an alt costume.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

As for Dixie, I would be extremely disappointed if she was a Diddy echo. A moveset that doesn't utilize her hair would be a massive disservice to her. I'd prefer she not be playable than to put her in as something she isn't.

I support a Chrom as an echo of Ike. That makes sense to me.
Toadette was playable in chapter 2 of Captian Toad so if the good captain is in she'd most likely he his alt.

As for the other two Dixie being a Diddy clone can happen but I'd rather it didn't, and Chrom has got Aether on his moveset so it does make sense.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Toadette was playable in chapter 2 of Captian Toad so if the good captain is in she'd most likely he his alt.

As for the other two Dixie being a Diddy clone can happen but I'd rather it didn't, and Chrom has got Aether on his moveset so it does make sense.
Sure, she could be an alt costume of Captain Toad. I wouldn't complain if she was. I'm just saying I don't think it's likely she'll be an echo. Toad being a move for Peach still already has me doubting Captain Toad's chances of making it in as a playable character in the first place, but we also don't typically see newcomers come in with a clone. It's happened only once in Smash history (Marth and Roy). Otherwise, clones, semi-clones, and echoes have always been based off of a returning veteran (not counting Luigi who was in the game before there were any veterans).

Edit: That isn't to say she wouldn't be a costume switch like Alph and the Koopalings. I am commenting on her chances as an echo fighter specifically.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok everyone. Remember, echo fighters are a chance for a less popular character who is similar enough to another fighter to the point that they could share virtually all the same moves, to get into Smash. And based on precedence, they would also be from the same series and share same body type, BUT be more than a costume.

So I say a definite NO to characters like:
Dixie Kong (too different from Diddy; no tail, would not make use of her hair)
Waddle Dee (shares same body type, but doesn't ever really use the same moves Kirby does unless it's a spear)
Yarn Yoshi (this would be a great costume, not an echo, because it's still Yoshi)
Chrom (I side with the people arguing that his attacks wouldn't make sense to be based off of Ike when he's using the same weapon as Lucina, and she's already an echo so that's just redundant. Sorry Chrom)
Twili Midna (I honestly just don't see her using any of Zelda's moves, plus she's a bit taller than Zelda. So no.)

I do think we won't get too many echos, and heck maybe even Daisy was the only new one. But I can see the following making sense:
Shadow (his speed rivals Sonic so they could just give him different running animation, maybe he jumps up but doesn't use a spring, and can have a different final smash that uses Chaos Control. I think that's all within the boundaries of an echo fighter)
Ninten (because Sakurai probably would)
Blood Falcon (both Daisy and Dark Pit were once technically alt costumes and Blood Falcon currently is. F-Zero is kinda dormant right now but I could see it happening, but on the other hand, considering he's a clone of Captain Falcon, staying an alt costume works too.)
Hilda (really the only thing that convinces me here is that Zelda is now sporting her ALBW look, so it would be a great tie-in, as echo fighters also generally share the same theme or universe. Similar to how Daisy uses flower instead of heart effects, Hilda could have shadow instead of light. None of the specials are used by either character anyway, so it would fit Hilda just as much as it fits Zelda to use the Goddess spells and Phantom Slash. Would be a shame if she doesn't use that staff though)
Ken (obviously)
Jeanne (also plays basically just like Bayonetta in her games, so it would work)
Ms. Pac-Man (I guess? Or why not an alt costume?)

I'm still not entirely convinced about Dark Samus. To me it would make more sense to just include the character as a unique fighter or semi-clone of Samus, not an echo fighter. But if Dark Samus were an echo fighter and was constrained by all the parameters we know of.....maybe it would work?
She'd have to have different running/walking animation (floating), all explosive or electric (such as with Screw Attack) effects changed to phazon energy, missiles could be changed to some homing-phazon energy attack, charge shot also (surprise) some sort of phazon blast, but what about Down Special? Dark Samus doesn't really use morph ball or bombs and on that note her dodge roll would have to be different too. So it would really be stretching the limit of what an echo fighter is and might as well just make her a clone or unique imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yarn Yoshi (this would be a great costume, not an echo, because it's still Yoshi
I'll contest this one as I don't think the two are quite the same. YY has different proportions, has unique animations (which if you played Yoshi's Wooly World, you would know) and would seem a lot lighter than Yoshi.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'll contest this one as I don't think the two are quite the same. YY has different proportions, has unique animations (which if you played Yoshi's Wooly World, you would know) and would seem a lot lighter than Yoshi.
I agree, alt costumes tend to change outfits/colors, but not entire properties like skin material (ew?). So I do think YY would be a nice quick easy inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I beat and love Yoshi's Woolly World, but at the end of the day, it's still Yoshi. I mean, Dr. Mario is also still Mario but he does represent a different spinoff series.
Sure it could work and of course the eggs would be yarn balls and all that but I just don't see it high in the priority list, even for easy-to-make echo fighters.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I can also see Funky Kong being an echo fighter of Donkey Kong, especially since that series is kinda lacking in reps. Not sure if it would happen though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, anything that's not literally the same character in a different outfit can be an Echo to me.

That's why Dr. Mario is so frustrating, as that's exactly what he is, and not only is he not just an alt costume, but he's not even an Echo. It's just Mario in a jacket! Why are you a separate character! They even gave Mario other alt costumes in this game! Why aren't you one of them!

Aaanyway...anything else is fair game. This stuff about "Well, their moves in their parent game aren't EXACTLY the same, so an Echo wouldn't represent them accurately!" is pointless.

Top Bottom