• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Echo Characters"

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice
Ok I see, and that's what I thought, it's dialogue. And I can understand that, it really help to flesh out a character (and that actually didn't went that well for Samus with Other M, so...)

But that's dismissing the other things that give personality and charisma. In Samus' case, she doesn't show much emotions because of the suit and the helmet, but she still give that badass vibe, by being a female bountyhunter fighting monsters all alone. Smash Bros does nail it with the taunt where she aims at both side. She is serious and always cautious of the environment. I'd also say that I like how ZSS' neutral position is better and have more personality.

In Pikmin's case, and the P3 trio in the case I'll talk about, part of the charm of the characters is how they interact of course (that's why my favorite is Britanny after all), but their charisma also comes from their mission, their partnership and that's more "action" or gameplay related than it's dialogue.

It's like how TP Zelda give a royal vibe and have charisma in TP despite being not so present. It's not only dialogue, but how the character is presented, the actions, a lot of things.

Well, Fire Emblem is an old serie with a plethora of games.
Yeah, to be fair, Samus is low key deep into it.

Pikmin is more innovative than Fire Emblem will ever be, despite the few games it has, and it's criminally underrated; a couple more characters wouldn't hurt its reputation.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, to be fair, Samus is low key deep into it.

Pikmin is more innovative than Fire Emblem will ever be, despite the few games it has, and it's criminally underrated; a couple more characters wouldn't hurt its reputation.
To be fair, Fire Emblem was innovative when it first came out. It's not the first tactical RPG, but it had it's fair share of ideas (sometimes reusing thing from Famicom Wars) and established standards for the genre.

I agree that Pikmin is unique, but the content in Smash isn't bad either. This is not perfect for sure, but it's not like Wario who only represent his WarioWare side for example.

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Fire Emblem was innovative when it first came out. It's not the first tactical RPG, but it had it's fair share of ideas (sometimes reusing thing from Famicom Wars) and established standards for the genre.

I agree that Pikmin is unique, but the content in Smash isn't bad either. This is not perfect for sure, but it's not like Wario who only represent his WarioWare side for example.
As a side note, Wario is in need of a bit more stuff himself.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
The biggest question is, why isn't Alph an Echo Fighter? It makes no sense that these literal clones get to be their own thing while the original protagonist remains an alt; Pikmin is the most disrespected series in Smash.
I can see why he isn't one. All echoes, even Dark Pit, have different personalities from the original character. Alph does not, he is quite literally just blue olimar in terms of personality. The echo fighter for olimar was probably shifted to being Louie, since he has an extremely different personality than olimar that could be translated well into some funny taunts and other animations. Louie also has the most possible new pikmin to use, being Rocks, Bulbmin AND Winged, since you could replace the winged ones in his recovery with insects for Louie only, given his affinity for them.

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice
I can see why he isn't one. All echoes, even Dark Pit, have different personalities from the original character. Alph does not, he is quite literally just blue olimar in terms of personality. The echo fighter for olimar was probably shifted to being Louie, since he has an extremely different personality than olimar that could be translated well into some funny taunts and other animations. Louie also has the most possible new pikmin to use, being Rocks, Bulbmin AND Winged, since you could replace the winged ones in his recovery with insects for Louie only, given his affinity for them.
Alph and Olimar are drastically different characters in their home series; in Smash they just seem like mindless drones. While I appreciate the Pikmin are the main selling point of the playstyle, it's ridiculous that the playable protagonists are ripped of personality while the side characters get represented honourably; bull****, even.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
Alph and Olimar are drastically different characters in their home series; in Smash they just seem like mindless drones. While I appreciate the Pikmin are the main selling point of the playstyle, it's ridiculous that the playable protagonists are ripped of personality while the side characters get represented honourably; bull****, even.
Maybe that's because the Pikmin are as much main characters as the spacefarers are.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
evidently youve been playing a very different very of pikmin 3
What makes you say that? They're both optimistic, nice characters who take the lead on things, while also being the straight man of the bunch. The taunts and other animations for Olimar in smash work perfectly for Alph as well, there isn't any kind of way to differentiate Alph from Olimar in smash. Even the minor differences that they DO have aren't notable enough to make an entire character out of.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What makes you say that? They're both optimistic, nice characters who take the lead on things, while also being the straight man of the bunch. The taunts and other animations for Olimar in smash work perfectly for Alph as well, there isn't any kind of way to differentiate Alph from Olimar in smash. Even the minor differences that they DO have aren't notable enough to make an entire character out of.
captain olimar's is a veteran leader who knows about space travel an all round family man an self proclaimed patron of the arts and quite brave

alph is young an inexperienced fascinated by technology prone to hero worship and a bit absentminded and a bit timid

there are plenty of ways to differentiate between the two, all 6 of the playable characters from the series have enough personality to be unique if similar fighters

and olimar's animations are not really reflective of his character they're a bit generic you could argue they work for any of them, though i dont see any of them to be the sort to jump on the spot or roll around on the ground

and the fact that he was considered to be separate character suggests that the smash team thought he was different enough

and similar personalities point doesnt work other wise we wouldnt have three links

Last edited:

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Would love to see Tetra/Toon Zelda make it in as an echo of Toon Link. Maybe replace bow with Skull Hammer and Spinning Sword with Deku Leaf. Everything else seems to check out nice with her.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ones like Dixie, Shadow, Isabelle and Ken are pretty obvious ones, no point mentioning them. I'll go with ones that aren't mentioned as often.

-Big Boss (Snake)
-Black Knight (Ike)
-Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight)
-Felix/Matthew (Isaac)
-Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
-Glass Joe (Little Mac)
-Hilda (Zelda)
-Impa (Sheik)
-James McCloud (Fox McCloud)
-Jeanne (Bayonetta)
-Louie (Olimar)
-Medusa (Palutena)
-Mrs. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
-Ninten (Ness)
-Octoling (Inkling)
-Zack Fair (Cloud Strife)

I also know some folks tend to say Black Shadow could work as a Echo of Captain Falcon. He can't, he's taller and bigger then him. Echos have to be the same height and weight. If anything if Black Shadow is to get in he'll be in the same way how Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Young Link are. Only Echo that could work is Blood Falcon and he's already deconfirmed due to being an costume once more.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Aw man, I can't believe I missed that argument over :ultdarksamus:! Anyway, all this talk about her has got me thinking that while I'm ecstatic to see her as a playable fighter to begin with, in an ideal world she should have a fighting style based on her battles in the Prime Trilogy. :ultdarksamus: is brutal, psychotic, ridiculously overpowered and it would've been a blast to see how she could be implemented with her moves intact. But considering what Ultimate is already giving us, I can't ask for too much more.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ones like Dixie, Shadow, Isabelle and Ken are pretty obvious ones, no point mentioning them. I'll go with ones that aren't mentioned as often.

-Big Boss (Snake)
-Black Knight (Ike)
-Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight)
-Felix/Matthew (Isaac)
-Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
-Glass Joe (Little Mac)
-Hilda (Zelda)
-Impa (Sheik)
-James McCloud (Fox McCloud)
-Jeanne (Bayonetta)
-Louie (Olimar)
-Medusa (Palutena)
-Mrs. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
-Ninten (Ness)
-Octoling (Inkling)
-Zack Fair (Cloud Strife)

I also know some folks tend to say Black Shadow could work as a Echo of Captain Falcon. He can't, he's taller and bigger then him. Echos have to be the same height and weight. If anything if Black Shadow is to get in he'll be in the same way how Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Young Link are. Only Echo that could work is Blood Falcon and he's already deconfirmed due to being an costume once more.
Peach is taller than Daisy. So there is flexibility for height. Plus B. Shadow would probably not be as hunched over as Falcon (think Wolf and Fox). Of course, none of that matters if B. Shadow is an Echo of Ganondorf.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Peach is taller than Daisy. So there is flexibility for height. Plus B. Shadow would probably not be as hunched over as Falcon (think Wolf and Fox). Of course, none of that matters if B. Shadow is an Echo of Ganondorf.
There's quite a difference in size and height between Daisy and Peach and Captain Falcon and Black Shadow. Daisy is exactly as tall as Peach hence why she works as an Echo. Especially being Black Shadow is bulkier then Captain Falcon and even Ganondorf.

Not a good comparison.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's quite a difference in size and height between Daisy and Peach and Captain Falcon and Black Shadow. Daisy is exactly as tall as Peach hence why she works as an Echo. Especially being Black Shadow is bulkier then Captain Falcon and even Ganondorf.

Not a good comparison.
Daisy isn’t as tall as Peach. Not in the original games. Not in Smash.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
and similar personalities point doesnt work other wise we wouldnt have three links
I have to disagree. Each link is not an echo, and has major differences with them that transcend needing a different personality, such as differing items and extremely different heights. not to mention each link holds that era's moveset for link, such as Yink with melee's version of link and so on.
Echoes, on the other hand, are not allowed to have changes like these. They all must share the exact same skeleton of the character they're echoing, same hitboxes roughly, same exact moves, with the occasional swap with a move that already exists from a different fighter. There's far less room for differentiating, and the only standout thing an echo would be able to have would be a differing personality and design from the original fighter. Something Alph lacks.

The point about Olimar's animations and taunts being quite watered down is another reason why Alph isn't a good idea for an echo. What little personality differences he has with Alph are removed for a generic, plucking little guy personality. In fact, Olimar's existing taunts would fit onto Alph better than they actually would for Olimar. This, among other things like more new pikmin possibilities, is why Louie would be and is the better choice for an echo, in my opinion.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Still ignoring Black Shadow is bulkier and bigger.
I am not, but being bulkier and bigger doesn’t save you from being an Echo. Hell, Ike has a costume that makes him bulkier and bigger.

We got Ridley in this game. Let’s not start acting as if Black Shadow is too big.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have to disagree. Each link is not an echo, and has major differences with them that transcend needing a different personality, such as differing items and extremely different heights. not to mention each link holds that era's moveset for link, such as Yink with melee's version of link and so on.
Echoes, on the other hand, are not allowed to have changes like these. They all must share the exact same skeleton of the character they're echoing, same hitboxes roughly, same exact moves, with the occasional swap with a move that already exists from a different fighter. There's far less room for differentiating, and the only standout thing an echo would be able to have would be a differing personality and design from the original fighter. Something Alph lacks.

The point about Olimar's animations and taunts being quite watered down is another reason why Alph isn't a good idea for an echo. What little personality differences he has with Alph are removed for a generic, plucking little guy personality. In fact, Olimar's existing taunts would fit onto Alph better than they actually would for Olimar. This, among other things like more new pikmin possibilities, is why Louie would be and is the better choice for an echo, in my opinion.
a lot of your argument is based on presumed rules of echoes, personality is not the main thing the separates them from the main character most of them do have something different, lucina not having the sweet spot in her sword, chrom having ike's recovery, dark pit having zelda's final smash, dark samus having electric effects instead of fire personality is not what separates the echoes from the main fighters differences are negligible true but rule out any fighter because you cant see the differences in their "personality" frankly doesnt make any sense

and the animations are really based on anyone's personality so they wouldnt really be better suited to anyone, if they had wanted to they could have easily differentiated alph from olimar with some different generic animations that would have suited any of them and by giving him rock pikmin (like they planned to) even if they did have they exact same personality it is not impossible to come up with completely different animations based on the same one

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
a lot of your argument is based on presumed rules of echoes, personality is not the main thing the separates them from the main character most of them do have something different, lucina not having the sweet spot in her sword, chrom having ike's recovery, dark pit having zelda's final smash, dark samus having electric effects instead of fire personality is not what separates the echoes from the main fighters differences are negligible true but rule out any fighter because you cant see the differences in their "personality" frankly doesnt make any sense

and the animations are really based on anyone's personality so they wouldnt really be better suited to anyone, if they had wanted to they could have easily differentiated alph from olimar with some different generic animations that would have suited any of them and by giving him rock pikmin (like they planned to) even if they did have they exact same personality it is not impossible to come up with completely different animations based on the same one
Never did I imply that differing personality is the only factor in deciding an echo fighter, just pointing out that Echoes having a different personality is a factor in chosing one. Simply having different abilities isn't the only reason. If you're saying that having different abilities is what is focused on the most, then Alph still shouldn't be added anymore, as Louie renders him obsolete in every way. He has more pikmin, more opportunity for differing animations and taunts that would actually feel extremely different from Olimar, instead of making more taunts for Alph that would still feel interchangeable with Olimar. Louie even has the ability to switch up moves that aren't related to Pikmin, like changing his recovery to Shearwigs and making its movement similar to it instead of winged pikmin. Not to mention he's by far the most liked and requested character out of all the Pikmin characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Never did I imply that differing personality is the only factor in deciding an echo fighter, just pointing out that Echoes having a different personality is a factor in chosing one. Simply having different abilities isn't the only reason. If you're saying that having different abilities is what is focused on the most, then Alph still shouldn't be added anymore, as Louie renders him obsolete in every way. He has more pikmin, more opportunity for differing animations and taunts that would actually feel extremely different from Olimar, instead of making more taunts for Alph that would still feel interchangeable with Olimar. Louie even has the ability to switch up moves that aren't related to Pikmin, like changing his recovery to Shearwigs and making its movement similar to it instead of winged pikmin. Not to mention he's by far the most liked and requested character out of all the Pikmin characters.
you kept arguing personality so you can see why id think that, louie does not have more pikmin than alph, alph has 7 louie has 6 and your arguments are still based on your own perceptions of the characters and your just giving me the same arguments over and over again different animations are still different animation regardless of weather they would work for another character thats enough for smash bros and has always been enough for smash bros

do you have a link to something that proves hes the most popular choice?

EvasiveAce

Smash Rookie
you kept arguing personality so you can see why id think that, louie does not have more pikmin than alph, alph has 7 louie has 6 and your arguments are still based on your own perceptions of the characters and your just giving me the same arguments over and over again different animations are still different animation regardless of weather they would work for another character thats enough for smash bros and has always been enough for smash bros

do you have a link to something that proves hes the most popular choice?
Louie has more to choose than Alph, what are you talking about with Louie 6 Alph 7? Louie has access to all pikmin, Alph has only encountered the original three, and Winged and Rock. Here's a fan poll, and Louie is actually on it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Louie has more to choose than Alph, what are you talking about with Louie 6 Alph 7? Louie has access to all pikmin, Alph has only encountered the original three, and Winged and Rock. Here's a fan poll, and Louie is actually on it.
louie: blue, red, yellow, purple, white, bulbmin

alph: blue, red, yellow, purple, white, rock, winged

im not arguing popularity (i was just curious about that claim) im merely pointing out alph has just as much to offer as an echo as any of the other four

EvasiveAce

Smash Rookie
louie: blue, red, yellow, purple, white, bulbmin

alph: blue, red, yellow, purple, white, rock, winged

im not arguing popularity (i was just curious about that claim) im merely pointing out alph has just as much to offer as an echo as any of the other four
If we go on games alone, Louie in Pikmin 3 would imply he has access to Rocks and Winged, since he is in the same area as the Pikmin 3 crew. We have nothing to go on that Alph has Purple or Whites, since they weren't in Pikmin 3's story.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If we go on games alone, Louie in Pikmin 3 would imply he has access to Rocks and Winged, since he is in the same area as the Pikmin 3 crew. We have nothing to go on that Alph has Purple or Whites, since they weren't in Pikmin 3's story.
the mulitiplayer mode where you play as olimar and alph and have access to all 7

EvasiveAce

Smash Rookie
the mulitiplayer mode where you play as olimar and alph and have access to all 7
Wasn't Louie also in the multiplayer mode? I know for sure with the bingo, but this is besides the point. If Sakurai wanted to give Louie rocks and winged, he would. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a compiled list of why Louie has a pretty great chance.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wasn't Louie also in the multiplayer mode? I know for sure with the bingo, but this is besides the point. If Sakurai wanted to give Louie rocks and winged, he would. I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a compiled list of why Louie has a pretty great chance.
we're not debating who should getting to smash we're debating their playablity, you cant just write alph off especially as all anyone has done here is prove they both have plenty to offer

Last edited:

EvasiveAce

Smash Rookie
we're not debating who should getting to smash we're debating their playablity
Playablity? It's obviously Louie then, he can do everything Alph can but being very different from Olimar personality wise. Plus, if it was Louie and not Alph, he could have Brittany as an alt skin, since it's the same model.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Playablity? It's obviously Louie then, he can do everything Alph can but being very different from Olimar personality wise. Plus, if it was Louie and not Alph, he could have Brittany as an alt skin, since it's the same model.
ok im done im sick of going in circles when the only thing keeping alph out of smash in your eyes is something that doesnt seem to matter in smash. all 5 of the other pikmin characters could work equally well but if you cant see past what few similarities olimar and alph have thats your business

and if you want to keep repeating the same point over and over again thats your prerogative

theres just as much that make alph, britany, charlie or the president different from olimar as there is for louie but if you choce to ignore that then you do you

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
louie does not have more pikmin than alph, alph has 7 louie has 6
How? Alph only has the original 5, plus Rocks. Louie has the original 5, plus Rocks, Bulbmin AND Winged, since his recovery allows for only him to replace the winged pikmin with bugs. Alph has 6, Louie has 8.
EvaciveAce has already provided how Louie is more popular.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
ok im done im sick of going in circles when the only thing keeping alph out of smash in your eyes is something that doesnt seem to matter in smash. all 5 of the other pikmin characters could work equally well but if you cant see past what few similarities olimar and alph have thats your business

and if you want to keep repeating the same point over and over again thats your prerogative

theres just as much that make alph, britany, charlie or the president different from olimar as there is for louie but if you choce to ignore that then you do you
But Louie DOES have more to offer? As stated before plenty of times, He has the most Pikmin to choose from, and has ways to implement insect enemies into his moveset while still keeping him an echo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
MrElectroG64 MrElectroG64 you dont understand the meaning of "im done" do you? btw i love how you ignore some of the info and give you while agreeing whole heartily with someone who has suspiciously similar reasoning to you

p.s. it was never about louie it was about alph

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
MrElectroG64 MrElectroG64 you dont understand the meaning of "im done" do you? btw i love how you ignore some of the info and give you while agreeing whole heartily with someone who has suspiciously similar reasoning to you

p.s. it was never about louie it was about alph
It was always about Louie. My original point was that Louie would be a much better echo than Alph. Not sure why you're taking such offense toward this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Have we redefined Echo yet? I'm thinking the most accurate answer is "character that takes the basis of its make and moveset from currently established resources, drastically reducing development time."

I refuse to consider it much else- Chrom has more variation to his base character Roy, than other fully 'individual' characters.

Echo might as well be short for Echoed Assets.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Have we redefined Echo yet? I'm thinking the most accurate answer is "character that takes the basis of its make and moveset from currently established resources, drastically reducing development time."

I refuse to consider it much else- Chrom has more variation to his base character Roy, than other fully 'individual' characters.

Echo might as well be short for Echoed Assets.
That does seem to be what separates Semi Clones from Echoes. Semi Clones have moves unique to themselves wheareas Echoes would have moves borrowed from others with differing properties.

Top Bottom