• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eastern Washington Bi-Weeklies! ~Next Tourney~ [11/17/07]

Zhar

Smash Cadet
hey u guys are ignoring my question i need 2 know the details of whats going on, on saturday and i need 2 know if i can have a ride (comon guys i want to come play brawl with u)

artifice

Smash Ace
brdy linked the page with details a couple pages back.

as for this saterday, i wont be running a sporly. but I do think we should be doing some casuals in the pub. let some of these peeeps come practice brawl or whatever, but thats just my seggestion.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
That was my first time playing Brawl...I enjoyed it! But I won't be able to practice at Brawl at all between now and the day of the tourney on the 23rd. This'll be painful :(

I'll practice at Melee though. I'll be there on the 23rd, if anyone wants to play Melee, let me know.

Zhar

Smash Cadet
u guys still havent answered my questions so ill repeat them
first i need 2 know the details of this saturday
second i need 2 know if i can have a ride

answer my questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I'm sure there were people that thought there would be no combos or depth to Melee after its release. We just need to let Brawl's competitive metagame evolve, methinks.

Deva

Smash Lord
yeah, for sure, but Nick and I were playing melee a bit yesterday. It's so much faster, so many more combos, so much more punishment for screwing up. Brawl is just more fun. competetively, even with time, it will be lacking just because of the physics engine. It's just too slow and noob friendly. Oh well, it's still fun, at least.

Zhar

Smash Cadet
well i live right next 2 felts field
my address is 7105 E. euclid

thx for finally answering my questions

Kamaji

Smash Ace
argh!!! I cant choose!!!!! Melee is so much faster and technical... but... ITS BRAWL!

Zhar- is that in spokane?

Deva

Smash Lord
Fun vs competetive, too.....much....to....handle.....can't......think......xD

This thread is no longer about why melee is better, but why Brawl is lacking

discuss

Kamaji

Smash Ace
Here's a video from a Melee tournament in 2002.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg
Just look how slow they're moving. I just think two and a half weeks into Brawl is too early to judge it.

Also, is there going to be a Melee tournament this weekend?
I know they're moving slow in melee at that point, but the thing is, we move even slower than that! Everyone falls about as fast as jigglypuff, everyone lives longer, and they made everything easy enough for any noob to do. unless we can find a way to double everyones movement speed, the game will never be as fast-paced or competitive as melee.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess it could go either way.

I still need to know if there will be a SpoRly this saturday, and if so, will you guys have Brawl there?

Kamaji

Smash Ace
I still need to know if there will be a SpoRly this saturday, and if so, will you guys have Brawl there?
Nothing is going on this saturday unless you want to go to gameclucks in lynwood, but next weekend (Feb. 23) is when the brawl tourney is.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
So yeah, Melee's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Brawl. We should keep playing Melee

discuss
If I had more than just a few rounds of Brawl experience, perhaps I'd have an opinion to offer.

I arrived at 4 PM yesterday and missed you...really wanted to play a round against you and be mutilated :(

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Has anyone here done a money match in brawl? Been to a tournament?
How do you know if it's going to be competitive if you've never even tried it?
It's an entirely new engine, new physics, new hit stun, moves, etcetcetc. You guys are just playing it like Melee and it's not working the same. I doubt most of you are even fast falling your aerials. Or even putting thought into what move you're using. Just spamming the same old stuff from Melee.

Fighting games don't need to be in hyper speed to be considered competitive. And I'd say you're totally wrong Deva, moves are infinitely more punishable in Brawl, you're just not sure how to do it yet, but you will. There's less hitstun, so it's easier for combo breakers, power shielding is ****ing broken, and can be utilized WAY more than people are, and also air dodge is hardly used as much as it could be.

So just wait guys, I'm sure there'll be some youtube videos posted soon so you can go 'borrow' their ideas and combos eventually. But right now, in stead of complaining about the game's lack of competitiveness, focus more on trying to break this game in, because you're always going to be behind in the competitive scene if you're just following someone else's work.

I won't admit Brawl is unplayable in competitive play until after a good few months of it's actual American release. But right now, I definitely believe it's playable competitively. I am discovering new things about this game's engine every day and it's just so exciting to imagine that if what happened to Melee could also happen to Brawl because of people like us, that take the time to fully understand the game, and not brush it off within the first few weeks because we're not good at it yet.

Melee is dead. Long live the Brawl.

Chip.

you know what to do
Fighting games don't need to be in hyper speed to be considered competitive. And I'd say you're totally wrong Deva, moves are infinitely more punishable in Brawl, you're just not sure how to do it yet, but you will. There's less hitstun, so it's easier for combo breakers, power shielding is ****ing broken, and can be utilized WAY more than people are, and also air dodge is hardly used as much as it could be.

Has anyone here done a money match in brawl? Been to a tournament?
How do you know if it's going to be competitive if you've never even tried it?
It's an entirely new engine, new physics, new hit stun, moves, etcetcetc. You guys are just playing it like Melee and it's not working the same. I doubt most of you are even fast falling your aerials. Or even putting thought into what move you're using. Just spamming the same old stuff from Melee.

So just wait guys, I'm sure there'll be some youtube videos posted soon so you can go 'borrow' their ideas and combos eventually. But right now, in stead of complaining about the game's lack of competitiveness, focus more on trying to break this game in, because you're always going to be behind in the competitive scene if you're just following someone else's work.

I won't admit Brawl is unplayable in competitive play until after a good few months of it's actual American release. But right now, I definitely believe it's playable competitively. I am discovering new things about this game's engine every day and it's just so exciting to imagine that if what happened to Melee could also happen to Brawl because of people like us, that take the time to fully understand the game, and not brush it off within the first few weeks because we're not good at it yet.

Melee is dead. Long live the Brawl.
As for all this Brawl stuff, I can't really say anything since I have not played it. But I know fo sho Melee is the better competitive game, for right now anyway. I'd say give Brawl some more time. . . so far it doesn't look impressive but I truly do think things will change in good time. Brawl does look like it's floatier and overall slower with it's physics engine and the killing looks to be exceptionally tricky to unleash (which is why it's 3 stock regulation instead of 4 since it takes so dang long!) so I know it probably will not be quite as quick and technical as Melee was. But who knows? I mean, there may be a new undiscovered method of mobility that is far more effective and faster than wavedashing ever was in Melee and could only be performed in Brawl; maybe instead of just one form of quick mobility there may be multiple techniques of movement for specific situations instead of an "all-purpose" wavedash technique. Who really knows?

Wavedashing along with other the other new techniques were only discovered because people really thought out-of-the-box. It's up to us to find out these new, undiscovered, hibernating techniques that lurk in the depths of Brawl's gameplay. . .

Long live Meleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Zhar

Smash Cadet
i still need 2 know whats going on on saturday

i also need ride if at all possible (cause i cant drive yet)

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Seriously Melee is way better than Brawl >__________________>
coming from someone who has never played brawl, your point makes a lot of sense and i'd have to say, you've convinced me.

enjoying holding on to melee while it lies in it's own filth, waiting to die.

also, contradicting statements like 'it's up to us to find new techniques in brawl' and 'long live melee' don't make sense.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I definitely believe in Brawl as far as potential goes. I just wish I could play it already. XP

Also, we can expect even more stuff to be discovered when the game comes to the U.S. since it's popularity level is slightly greater than 9000.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
melee is waaaaaaaaaaay better than brawl.
that's cool to have an opinion.
my opinion is that you're just not very good at it, and out of fear of being bad at something, you make rash conclusions.
i watched http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q8zWHmtnA
you basically just stand there the entire time. i guess losing to jem hurt your feelings a bit.

that's cool to have an opinion.
my opinion is that you're just not very good at it, and out of fear of being bad at something, you make rash conclusions.
i watched http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q8zWHmtnA
you basically just stand there the entire time. i guess losing to jem hurt your feelings a bit.
LOL. thats because I was trying to move around as i i was playing melee, but too scared to do much because the game isnt the same lol. that was like what, my 3rd match? rofl
yes im horrible, but its much too slow and way less in depth (obviously) to be better than melee lol. just another game.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
LOL. thats because I was trying to move around as i i was playing melee, but too scared to do much because the game isnt the same lol. that was like what, my 3rd match? rofl
yes im horrible, but its much too slow and way less in depth (obviously) to be better than melee lol. just another game.
I don't know how many matches you've played after that, but after time I'm sure you'll realize that if you play the game like Melee it just doesn't feel right, because it won't do what you want. When you learn how to play Brawl like Brawl, you'll find it has plenty of depth. I learn something new every match I play.
Speed doesn't make a game better/more competitive. If it did, Melee would have been played on Turbo mode.

Also, I didn't want that other post to sound like a 'lol you suck' thing. Everyone sucks at Brawl right now. I just noticed you weren't really utilizing the character.

Jem.

Smash Master
Umm, I shouldn't have even beat Otto, I got lucky was all..
They're both good games, why should you have to pick between them?
The only thing you can say is Brawl is more popular than melee. But there are lots of competitive games that are pretty underground that are loved (Street Fighter, Starcraft, Warcraft 3)

Zhar

Smash Cadet
what r the details of whats happening this saturday and can i get a ride???

Top Bottom