• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Eastern WA vs Western WA* EWWW January 20th!

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Western WA vs Eastern WA

Event: SSBM 1v1 tournament *NEW* 2v2 Tournament *NEW*

Date: January 20th, 2007

5978 Highway 291
Nine Mile Falls, WA 99026

Directions: For people out in spokane if you get to francis and monroe just keep driving west on francis, eventually it will become highway 291, just follow that all the way to the pizza factory. Stick to the right as much of you can when you get to that jumble of signs. When you get to NineMileFalls right after you get up big sandy (giant hill) you will see the high school on the left, and a bit farther down the road on the right past the church you will see a group of stores off to the right side, the first building on the stripmall is the pizza factory and that's where the tourney will be. PM me if you have questions and I can give more detailed directions.

For Seattle people coming PM me for help with directions or just use mapquest.

Entry Fee for the 1v1 tournament will be $15, $10 ends up being towards the prize pool, and the other $5 goes for pizza and drinks. The place is actually giving us a really good deal because they aren't charging us to use the room (which is $50) so the pizza is pretty much free.

Entry Fee for the 2v2 Tournament will be $10 per team if you are interested in playing. This will be held after the 1v1 tournament though, so if you don't have a team or aren't interested in watching you can be on your way if you want to.

Supplies: Everyone needs to bring their own controller for the tournament, I won't really have a lot of them to go around. Cubes and TV's are always appreciated to help speed things up. Video Camera's would be very, very, very helpful to have at this tournament, seeing as the one of the older tourneys we only had one tape of videos and didn't even get all of the semi finals, and most recently we didn't have the right equipment to record.

Rules: These will be pretty loosely enforced, but if a disagreement comes up this is the law. Copied from other tourney threads.

1v1 Tournament
Double Elimination, Best 2 of 3 Matches
Time Limit set to 8 Minutes
Items set to OFF

Bracket Ranking
Ranking will be RANDOM drawing

Prizes
1v1 - 1st 60%, 2nd 30% 3rd 10%
2v2 - 1st 60%, 2nd 30% 3rd 10%

Entry Fee

1v1 - $15.00 per person
2v2 - $10.00 per person

Start Time
Register at 11am - noon, starts at about 1p.m.
The 1v1 tournament will be run first starting at about 1pm, please be there be noon at the latest so we can get brackets set up. Afterwards the 2v2 will be hosted, and then afterwards people can do money matches or crew battles or N64 or whatever else.

Super Smash Brothers Melee
General Rules and Regulations
1. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up., unless no one else tries to get nexties.
2. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed, unless it was almost over and there was a clear winner.
3. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion. This won't happen though.
4. Any sign of cheating will result in an automatic forfeit. But who cheats?

Controllers:

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller. (BYOC)
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Don't use third party, their merchandise is terrible.

Tournament Format
Brackets will be made at random, and you will be seeded randomly...

Tournament Rules
1. Everyone starts in an Elimination Bracket.
2. The Elimination Bracket will be Double Elimination.
3. The Losers Bracket will have mixed placement to avoid players being eliminated by the same opponent that beat them in the Winner’s Bracket.
4. All matches are best of 3 except for the Finals (best of 5).
5. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
6. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
7. Items will be turned off of course.
8. To prevent confusion the finals will always be one best of 5 contest.

*special 2v2 rules*
1. Team attack is on
2. life stealing is permitted
3. Fountain of Dreams is banned for 2v2 because of lag
4. Mute City is banned for 2v2 because of lag
*special 2v2 rules*

Stages & Character Select
1. The first round stage is selected by random, but if both players (teams) can agree on a stage then the first match can be played on any stage they agree upon except one from the banned list below.
2. Random Select Stages - Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Kirby 64, & Pokemon Stadium.
3. Stages Banned - Hyrule Temple, Onett, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Venom, Yoshi's Island, Poke Floats, Mushroom Kingdom II, Termina, and Yoshi's Island 64.
4. Stages not listed on the random select list, that are not banned, are open for counter picks by the losing player.
5. Advanced Knock-out - each person may knock out one stage from the first round random select and one from the available counter picks. Both stages are off for the entire match.
6. Advanced Slob Picks - the loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then the winner may change characters, and then the loser may change characters.
7. Double-Blind Pick - at the beginning of a match, any player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players tell a judge their character secretly and are required to use that character for the first game.

Other Rules & Special Issues
1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game. Unless the other person doesn't mind.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop the tactic and lose a stock.

Match Format
1. Each player chooses a seat and controller port. If both players want the same controller port, a coin flip will determine the winner of the port. The loser may then choose whichever seat he wants.
2. Players then choose their character and have 30 seconds to do so. If any player does not select their character at the end of 30 seconds or if any player calls for it, a double blind pick will be used. Once a player has placed their coin on a character’s image to select it, they may not change characters
3. Once characters have been selected the highest player in the highest controller port position may press start to go to the level select screen. Once on the level select screen, each player may choose their stages to knock-out (see Stages & Character Select rule #6) and then either agree on a stage together or select a stage at random. Any arguing over stages will be interrupted by the judges and random stage select will be used.
4. Players play their first match.
5. Once they have returned to the character select screen, the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match.
6. If the winning player wins again, he wins the set and must report the score to a judge. If the losing player from the previous match wins, repeat #5 (above) and play the third match. Winner of the third match must report the score to a judge.

Other: Money Matches can run after the tournament is over if people are interested in playing, but I only booked the building from 11an to 7pm, so if there's time and you want to play that then feel free. Also might have some N64 since I love N64 after the tourney is over and done with.

Turnout: last time at the same location we had 14 people participate, I hope to get around 20 this time. Hopefully some Seattle players will be able to make this, since I titled it Spokane vs Seattle :p

PLEASE RESPOND TO ME IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE AT THE EVENT!

Current Supply Count (estimate):

TV - 6
Gamecube/Smash/Memory Card - 7
Recording Equipment/Computers - 6

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Wow, there appears to be quite a few un-banned stage. You should like...ban more. Such as Mushroom Kingdom 1&2, annnd Yoshi's Island...annnd Venom...annd...Onett and Termina are pretty gay too, but not quite as much as the others.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I copied the stage list from the gameclucks tourney. isn't that the official list that all the tournies use?

ok fixed it, didn't know changes were made.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Cool. . . >_> I'll be there with a setup and hopefully my capture card will be ready.

Peaches

Smash Lord
What comes with the set up so I can add it to the list?
TV
Cube/game
me
controeller

Also, I'll try to bring my computer with capturecard (hopefully with a card).

LOL at the Spokane vs. Seattle. Would EAST VS. WEST be more appropriate? Not that I'm sponsering any sort of East / West crew battle as it would be very one sided.

EDIT: Who is the "staff" I'll volunteer seeing as I tend to get stuck doing it anyways. I say we get T shirts saying "OBEY"

None of us live in Seattle. :(
Eastern WA vs Western WA would be more appropriate.
You should bump the entry fee up a bit, to either 10 or 15$ for 1v1, than add on the cost off food, so 20$ would be good. That would attract more competition form the West side.
Would there be a crew battle for $ as well...?
I'd go, and I'm sure if enough people were going, i could convince more to go.
West Side is the best side! XD
Ssssp!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
We could always do this at GameClucks though since most of the Washington smashers live near there.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We're doing power rankings very soon, like after the 13th, so you guys should get in this because i didnt see a single easter WA player on any lists *gasp*.
come to GC!

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I titled it Spokane vs Seattle because it is the spokane and surronding area vs seattle and the surronding area, because, say, Ninemilefalls, or cheney, or auburn, or lynwood aren't very well known, and if I just said east vs west it would sound like a coast vs coast battle to some people. This way only the people in washington will check out this thread.

I'll consider the entry fee adjustment, I'd like everyone that wants to play in this to be able to though and not be limited by cash (or lack of) $15 isn't that big of a jump though so I will think about changing it, but no guarentees.

Eastern WA players are already going to be at gameclucks, this is just an offering to come and play against us in our city :) I got the idea because ka master and eggz and some others were planning on coming the the last spokane tournament.

Anything not related to the singles tourney would happen afterwards, so crew battles or money matches or whatever could certainly go on then if wanted.

About the staff part peaches, I just copied most of this from an older gameclucks thread, I just took out everything that related to gameclucks and just replaced it with spokane. Most of the staff part is just related towards cheating, and anyone can point out any sign of cheating and it will be looked into not just one person. If you bring your comp I can easily run the brackets for it as long as you have Tio. I'd definatly appreciate whatever help you're willing to give though

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Also, link or explanation of how power rankings work? Because from what I think I know, it's people vote on who they think is the best. Person with the most votes is rated the best, and 2nd best is 2nd most votes, all the way down. I can't really think of a way we'd really do that because most western people haven't played any eastern players. Same about most easterns not playing any western players. Isn't really fair because right now it isn't known who is better so it would just seem like a big popularity contest with western winning because you guys have more players. I just don't get how this system would work well for players that haven't played each other.

Out of the 5-6 panelists we already have, ones chosen for their knowledge of how things work and for how much they play everyone else, we each make a top 15 list. then we use this point system to see how many points everyone got which would be dtermined from where they are on each list, and then wed add all of everyones pointls to the other points we all earned from each list, and make an official list from the totals we all got. GC guy explained it better but yea. prove yoursleves at this and GC then. =P

any more concerns i suppose you could ask me, i seem to be running the panel.

Deva

Smash Lord
I'll bring a Wii, seven controllers, a game, TV, memory card, Laptop, and recording equipment. Hopefully we'll get a better turn out than the last one.

I have an idea for you guys.
you could have you're own seperate rankings list. Since we never get to play.
that's what AZ did. you'd have to read the rules for making them first, and check with me or nealdt to see if youve done it right n stuff. you dont have to though.

Eggz

Smash Hero
If Otto is going I'll be going. Ridesies anyone?

Also, Western WA will only go if you guys accept a 10$ crew battle money match, and if you raise the entry fee to 15$.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
well it seems like more people are interested in a higher entry fee so lets make this a more serious tourney and raise it to $15. You'll have to talk with the spokane crew about crew battle mm because 1. I don't think I'm in it, and 2. I don't know how they work.

Peaches

Smash Lord
There's a spokane crew? We'd just get the 5 best guys we can and play. I suggest, BRDY, Me, Slyd, Metroid, and Deva. (In no particular order)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Random seeding? You really ought to at least seed the top 4, 8, or 16 depending on turnout. OR you could use tio's really incredibly awesome Location-based seeding, where you give everyone a location when they sign up (city works well, or crew) and tio automagically ensures that everyone with the same location ends up as far away from each other in the bracket as possible. It's groovy.

Chip.

you know what to do
There's a spokane crew? We'd just get the 5 best guys we can and play. I suggest, BRDY, Me, Slyd, Metroid, and Deva. (In no particular order)
It's not a good idea to have two ppl who main with the same char. Actually, it's a really stupid idea. I'm talking about you and Brdy.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
depending on how many seattle people show up I will definatly use some kind of bracket seperation (probably location) but if it's just like 4 west side people I probably won't bother, just let random be random.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
It's not a good idea to have two ppl who main with the same char. Actually, it's a really stupid idea. I'm talking about you and Brdy.

Lol, if we had one, I don't think the crew battle would get to the point of seriousness where you would have to take those kinds of things into consideration. And there's like a 90% chance west WA is going to have at least more than one guy who mains the same char.

Though it's up to you guys..

I think we should go with Nate as in:

Nate
Me
Shane
Teddy
and 2 more...? if Nate goes. which i highly doubt. XD maybe if the entry fee was 20$ plus tax to mindgame Oregon.

and David will be there of course, he lives near there!
looks like we got us a crew then? and MIKE!!!! he should go with us too!
reggie or ammon/both...?
if you guys raise the fee though, we will definately go. (20$)+5$ for food...? 25$ and teams=10$ each at least right?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
$15 is as high as the entry fee is going to go. If you want the pot higher you'll just have to bring more people to make more contributions. ;) Especially since Gameclucks is only $10 to enter, I'm definatly not going to have the entry fee be $25.

I wasn't sure on 2v2, is there any interest in doing that? I'd run it after the 1v1 tourney if we did it. Lemme know if anyone wants to do that so I can track down the rules for 2v2.

You must have 2v2. 10$ per person at least entry fee.
We only do 10$ entry fee at GC because the turnout' usually big and we don't have to go as far so 10$ is worth it.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Taj is a worser Fox than yours? I don't get it lol. Also your sig is better than mine

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Ok 2v2 tournament is officially added. entry fee for that will be $10 per person and that will start AFTER the 1v1 event. I updated my main posting as well.

Are the stages allowed the same for 2v2 as they are for 1v1?

Peaches

Smash Lord
Nope. Fountain of Dreams has mad lag on it. So it's banned. (for teams only)

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
The tourney is on a Friday? Awesome.

EDIT: Oh snap, that was for 06. Forgot about the whole year-change thing. Hmm...guess we'll see how rides work out.

R.C.

Smash Apprentice
I think that me and my friend are going to come down to the tourney. Otto, count me in for the West Coast crew battle if you need to use the Blue Falcon.

We do, and I'm here now with our ride, and he says he would only go if the entry fee was 20$ at least.
ALso, he may accept 15$ if somene else would be willing to drive us. We could still use his van though. Teddy?

Peaches

Smash Lord
Err, not everyone has a wii to get rid of lag on those stages if that's what you mean. Are we going to up the entry?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I don't get what the point of upping the entry fee even higher. It's already more expensive then any tournament in washington, and if it gets upped again it will be twice as expensive to play in as any other tourney. what's wrong with $15, that's nearly a $200 prize pool with 16 people. First place would get around $100 with that.

If the majority of the spokane players agree that they want a $20 entry fee, I will bump it to that. But if people around the area are going to be turned away then I don't think that will be the case.

($20 with 16 people is over $250 prize pool just for the record)

Need some input from spokane players now. I'm more then willing to pay good money for good competition I'm just trying to think of other players that probably wouldn't plan on being in the top 3 would feel that their dead money is even heavier with a $20 entry fee.

Top Bottom