• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest/hardesr character to pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
All the recent threads about characters got me thinking of who is the easiest character to pick up, My personal opinion is sheik is the easiest characters to pick up, she has really really simple combos, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that you can f-tilt to fair. or even dash attack to fair, after that down the line is jiggs, because after you learn to control her air game the basics come pretty easily after that.

Note: Please don't talk about cheap characters and whatnot, we don't want the mods getting trigger happy and closing another thread.

Edit: since everyone seems to agree that sheik/puff are easiest to pick up lets also discuss ones that are hard to master/hard to pick up.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
Generally the more tech skill a character requires to be effective, the harder they are to pick up. So yes, Sheik and Puff are most likely the easiest, since every other character is either so bad that you have to work really hard to be good with them, or they are fox/falco/falcon who require a lot of fast, precise button inputs.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
shiek & puff are the easiest to pickup..
not only that but you get a headstart at a high level of play

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
bowser is the hardest to pick up it takes forever to throw him and pichu would be the easiest.

I think sheik is.

i've seen someone who has never touch her figure out the tilt to air and chain throw, and tactic for sheik and nearly beat me in 3 games. The same person did the same with martha nd I was able to 4 stock him. Really sheik is def. the easiest i've seen first hand.

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
playing Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody!
For me, it's Jiggs. I know how to:

-Wave dash
-Waveland
-Shffl

Do I use any of it during a serious match? No, just because I never could because I'm too busy spacing. I wish I was better though. My friend plays a seriously hardcore Captain Falcon (yes, competitive), and he'll lose to me like... 30% of the time if he doesn't watch what he's doing. Jiggs is extremely fun and easy to pick up. Watch your short-hops, be careful with every action/movement, and start to analyze your opponent's strategy or movements. Once you pick up on it, it's really simple. Hard thing about Jigs is learning how to use Rest properly and making sure it hits.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
...this is just asking for a lock....
We've had threads like this one alot, the general consensus now is Sheik and Puff.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
the same guy that took 3 matches to figure out a lot obout sheik still didn't know not to tilt as puff(not couting up-tilt) after like 7 matches.

sheik is easier to pick up on

xbombr

Smash Ace
Sheik being easy to pick up is totally wrong if you're talking about anything beyond scrub level.

People are like "Luk I kan down throw chayngarb and combo forwerd tilt and forwerd air, I am 2 gud lolololo"

No, just no. Sheik is a lot harder to play against anyone who is past decent and knows their match up against her. (I.E. good players)

There's a lot more to playing Sheik than dthrow and Ftilt -> FAir, just like there's a lot more to playing Fox than waveshine -> upsmash or u-throw -> uair.

Every character can be boiled down to 2-4 simple techniques/patterns that are the staple of their game. Of course none of the characters are that simple.

The ease of picking up a character is determined by the variety of strategy that has to be learned for their match ups.

Fox has to know what characters he can waveshine effectively, which ones Uthrow-Uair work against, which ones he has to laser camp, which he can chaingrab and to what %, ect.

Sheik has to know which characters she can chaingrab, which characters she has a good tech chase game against, which characters CC **** her and at what % that stops, which characters she can't gimp easily, which characters she can't grab, what moves work best in tech chases against certain characters, ect.

tl;dr Just knowing bread and butter combos/strategies for a character doesn't mean you've picked them up.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
Sheik being easy to pick up is totally wrong if you're talking about anything beyond scrub level.

People are like "Luk I kan down throw chayngarb and combo forwerd tilt and forwerd air, I am 2 gud lolololo"

No, just no. Sheik is a lot harder to play against anyone who is past decent and knows their match up against her. (I.E. good players)

There's a lot more to playing Sheik than dthrow and Ftilt -> FAir, just like there's a lot more to playing Fox than waveshine -> upsmash or u-throw -> uair.

Every character can be boiled down to 2-4 simple techniques/patterns that are the staple of their game. Of course none of the characters are that simple.

The ease of picking up a character is determined by the variety of strategy that has to be learned for their match ups.

Fox has to know what characters he can waveshine effectively, which ones Uthrow-Uair work against, which ones he has to laser camp, which he can chaingrab and to what %, ect.

Sheik has to know which characters she can chaingrab, which characters she has a good tech chase game against, which characters CC **** her and at what % that stops, which characters she can't gimp easily, which characters she can't grab, what moves work best in tech chases against certain characters, ect.

tl;dr Just knowing bread and butter combos/strategies for a character doesn't mean you've picked them up.
She is a lot easier to pick up than fox/falco tho. What is the extent of sheik's ATs, needle canceling? 90% of foxs stuff is waaaaaaaay harder.

j00t

Smash Champion
Easiest to pick up, as in technically? Sheik.
Easiest to be good with? Falco or Fox...

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I used to agree with the consensus, but recently I have begun thinking that Jigglypuff is hard to pick up. But it does get a lot easier once you break through a certain point

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
peach can DJC she isn't really hard. Really someone can say sheik down-throw f-tilt fair which is uber easy also the fact she has so many match-ups that aren't just pick sheik and ****. Sheik is one of the simpler people(she CAN be techical).

Really people can say people are basic like puff is bair, marth is space them and grab combos,falco is pillaring lasers, pichu is nair, and etc.

Really i've heard people say pichu is p*ss easy and ice climbers are really hard.

My pichu is way more techically and more skill involved than my ice climbers all I do as the ice climbers camp, spam the living S*** out down-smash, and rarly chain throw and de-synce. That is ALL I do as them. As pichu I have really crazy movement and up-B tech skill, I mix up and all kinds of things. My pichu has more tech skill and junk but most people can argee ice climbers are harder.

Really it's all in your eyes or views. I don't think pichu is easy but i've heard people say other wise and say all you need to do is nair.

TK1991

Smash Cadet
You can't say some characters are easy and others are not.
It depends on your playstyle.
You consider Fox to be hard to play? You can play easy with him too. You don't need to be upper technical to win.
Of course its fairly easy to grab and ftilt to fair with shiek, but upthrow to upair or jab/dash attack to upsmash with fox is **** easy too.

And to everyone who complains about Puff and Shiek being so easy to play.
Than I have one question: Why don't ALL of you who complain about that play Jiggs and Shiek and win at tourneys? Because you can't.
After all, it's the player who wins the tourney, not the character.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
And to everyone who complains about Puff and Shiek being so easy to play.
Than I have one question: Why don't ALL of you who complain about that play Jiggs and Shiek and win at tourneys? Because you can't.
After all, it's the player who wins the tourney, not the character.
Just because a character is the easiest to pick up does not mean that they are the best, just that they are the easiest to learn.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Falcon's the hardest tpo play.:p
Hmm I disagree, while his movement may be hard to get used to once you learn his combo's he gets a bit easier since most of his combo's are set in stone, kind of like a advanced sheik. I think he's hard to pick up and easy to be good with at a mid level, but takes a lot of mind games to be good with past that. and I totally forgot about marth. Marth isnt that hard to pick up, Fsmash fsmash fsmash. most marth noobs just abuse his range however they can. I think he's hard to use past noob level.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think you're forgetting Falcon has no approach, he gets ***** as soon as he gets hit, his recovery sucks balls, and his game is completely based off of reading people.

Skye93

Smash Rookie
For me, Shiek was definetly the eisest.
I mean come on, f-tilt, f-tilt, shorthop, fair. Done! xD

But the hardest, in my opinion would most likely be C.falcon.
Almost all of his moves require precise button precision.
Then again, it might just be me.

SiD

Smash Master
I think the hardest might be the IC's. They can be difficult to control properly when you're first trying, and Nana dies easy if you're not careful.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
M2 is really hard? I didn't know he had more than just DJC and wding. Yoshi has many more techs but I didn't know about m2.

If falcon is hard because he is totally based on reading people because he has no approach what about pichu. His approach is worse(I think) and he has to slip in very carefully like falcon really there haven't been many good pichu's I would argee that people are using him wrong or at least have been using him wrong not saying I know better but he could be more falcon like minus being able to 0 to death as much and junk.

Skye93

Smash Rookie
Yea, playing a shiek doesn't always have to be ftilting -> fair.
But most players do that their first time playing shiek, because it is definetly one of the eisiest combos to pull off if your opponent has basically no DI. Haha.
I mean of course you can tech-chase, or shiek's bair is good if placed right.
I mean Amsah in pound 4 against Zhu, that was some good ****.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I'm a Sheik main, and all you have to do is Fair, Bair, Down Throw, and Down Smash.....
that's it....

Oh,, and the occasional dash attack...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom