• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
My attempt at the 100 character roster challenge:
(Mixture of personal picks and strategic picks)

Row 1
Mr. Game & Watch
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Rosalina & Luma
Dr. Mario
Captain Toad
Yoshi
Wario
Ashley
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K.Rool
Cranky Kong

Row 2
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt (Duo)
Ice Climbers
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Skull Kid
Vaati
Tingle
Takamaru
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus
Sylux

Row 3
Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Dark Pit
Little Mac
King Hippo
Ness
Lucas
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
Chrom
Lucina
Corrin
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Row 4
Kirby
Dedede
Meta Knight
Bandana Dee
Magolor
Fox
Falco
Andross
Wolf
Krystal
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Decidueye

Row 5
Villager
Tom Nook
Isabelle
K.K. Slider
Issac
Andy
Pikmin & Olimar
Chibi Robo
Wii Fit Trainer
Chorus Kids
Shulk
Elma
Wonder Red
Inkling
Callie & Marie
Ribbon Girl (Spring Man alt)
Seedling

Row 6
Pac-Man
Lloyd Irving
Bomberman
Solid Snake
Mega Man
Ryu
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bayonetta
Rayman
Rabbids
Cloud
Geno
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Mii Fighter

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I tried making a prediction roster.
At the top are the characters I believe will be in the new smash game.
At the bottom those that I think have a high chance but not as certain as above, for reasons.

Newcomes In : 12
-New Mario character : With Super Mario Odyssey introducin his lot of new characters, as well as the many ones who already exist, I can perfectly see a seventh/eight Mario character.
-Sylux : If Ridley is still a non-go (for obscure reasons), we could at least get a new Metroid character who is also an enemy. With Metroid Prime 4 announced and Sylux supposedly getting a role, my choice go for him.
-A new Fire Emblem protagonist (the first emblem is Corrin, I didn't have a picture for him) : Even if the higher ups say there would be too many FE characters, I'm sure a new one will still appear. Hoping it will be some new class though.
-Bandana Dee : I hesitated a lot before putting him in, but with how many games Kirby got, a fourth character may not be impossible, and I go with the spear dude, often seen with the other three heroes.
-A new WTF character : An unexpected surprise, as were Mr. G&W (in my opinion, instead of being a "retro" character), R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer. I'm sure there will be one !
-A new POKéMON character : Gen 8 will probably be represented. Maybe Gen 7 but I doubt it.
-Inkling : No-Brainer. I'm 99% sure they will be playable.
-Rex (the second Shulk in the picture) : Xenoblade Chronicles 2's protagonist seem to have an arsenal worthy of Smash. I bet on him !
-Takamaru : I thought about a retro character, and at the moment, Takamaru was the first one to come to mind. Maybe they may give him a chance despite him not being that famous ? If not, reserve the sport for a retro.
-Bomberman : An iconic third party character and well known. I see no problem with him.
-Rabbid (With the skins from Mario and Rabbids) : I thought about it. Rayman IS the mascot of Ubisoft. Of the two, I'd prefer Rayman. But the game is called "Mario and
Rabbids" (Yes, I chose the yellow color). They managed to appear together. That's a pretty good point for their inclusion. I hesitate with Rayman, but one of those two will get in, that's what I think. I'm tending towards Rabbid at the moment though.
EDIT : I forgot to add an ARMS character, my bad. Make it 12.

Newcomers Out : 5
-Chorus Men : A Rythm Heaven character could have been in preparation for Smash 4. We may never know. He is not, in my humble opinion, a shoo-in. But the franchise is worth mentioning, so he is in my "Maybe" list.
-A new Zelda character : Since Melee, if we don't count Young Link becoming Toon Link, TLoZ didn't get a new character. And it's possible it'll never get one. With BotW being successful, I hope Nintendo will consider giving a chance to the serie.
-A new Yoshi character : New Yoshi games were released, but is it enough to give Yoshi a second character ? If so, who ? Yarn Yoshi ? Poochy ? Possible, but not enough for me to be "sure".
-Alph : Or any new Pikmin character depending of the fourth iteration. The problem I have is that the captains do not have many differences between each other, though they could use different species of Pikmin. In my "Maybe" list too.
-Dixie Kong : There were new Donkey Kong games. She is the closest from the main duo. But is it close enough to warrant her a spot ?

Cut Veterans back In : 2

-Ice Climbers : Only cut due to the 3DS' limitations. I'm 100% sure they'll come back.
-Wolf : Less certain for him, but I still believe his chances of coming back are high enough to be in my prediction list.

Veterans Cut : 6/7 :

-Dr. Mario/Lucina/Dark Pit : They are easy to make, and also easy to remove. The question is : will the next game still allow them to share the screen ? I didn't go as far as think for each of them, I believe they are in the same situation of being luck to be in the game.
-Ryu/Cloud : Two new third Party characters that I have a bad feeling concerning their return. Maybe it's nothing, but I'm not sure that they are as certain to come back as Pac-Man or Sonic, for example.
-Lucas : Yes, I'm less certain for Lucas who was put as DLC than Wolf who was simply deleted. I also have a bad feelign for Lucas, though I'm certain he'll reappear in some form... Maybe even as DLC again. :troll:
-Snake : Yes, Snake was not in Smash 4. And I believe Bomberman will be in. But if Bomberman is playable... Why not Snake ? He still has the unhappy privilege of being the only third party cut. Not a given that he'll be back, that's sure. One can dream though, maybe things can change ?

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Figured that I would update my old roster a bit;

Smash Switch Speculative Roster.png

• King K. Rool had to have done decently well in the Ballot, if we got a Mii costume of him at all. Plus, he has plenty of potential with his various personas and gimmicks, so I could see Sakurai adding him as a "Fan's Vote" entry.

• The only reason Ridley isn't in Smash is because Sakurai doesn't see that spark he needs to make him. If we see Ridley become plot-important with dialogue in Prime 4 or Samus Returns, I could see Sakurai finally caving on him if either game gives him a good moveset basis.

• Inklings are the de-facto newcomer; with how much of a success Splatoon has been, there's really no chance they won't be in the next Smash.

• Heihachi is another character Sakurai considered for Smash, and I could see him working out well enough..but he's the character I'm least certain will get in of this set of newcomers.

• Tails is the character that makes the most sense as another fighter in the Sonic franchise; he's Sonic's Luigi and remains one of the most popular Sonic characters of all of them. Only Eggman, Knuckles, Metal Sonic and Shadow rival Tails, and of them, only Knuckles and Eggman don't have any major roles (Shadow) or would not be just as fine as an alt (Metal).

• Snake and Wolf coming back is the most hopeful thing on this roster, but if Bombeman makes it in, I cannot see Sakurai not also putting Snake in.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
100 Characters?

Veterans from Smash 4 put this one at 58
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link, Wolf, Pichu, Snake and Icies put it at 65
35 newcomers left:

Mario
Daisy
Waluigi
Captain Toad
Nabbit
Petey Piranha
King Boo
Pauline
Birdo
Paper Mario
Wart
Tanooki Mario
Cat Peach
Toadette
Fawful
Dry Bowser

Yoshi
Kamek

DK
Dixie Kong

Zelda
Kilton
Ravio
Impa
Ruto
Nabooru
Midna and Wolf Link
Beedle
Toon Zelda
Kass
Linebeck

Fire Emblem
Azura
Anna
Jakob
Cherche
Merric

Pokémon
Lycanroc
Decidueye
Nihilego

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
SwitchRoster.png

Cuts
Jigglypuff- Seeing as Jigglypuff barely made it into Brawl I think it only a matter of time before this fighter is pushed off to the side and not available at launch. I think Jigglypuff will return as DLC at least for now with the future depending on fan demand which I would be curious to see, I know some might be upset by this move but just how many people and how vocal they will be is a mystery.

Dr. Mario/Lucas- Neither of these fighters really add too much to the game and do not seem super popular either. However they do have a fan base and are somewhat relevant so they could come back, I say Lucas will be DLC since there are not a lot of Mother/Earthbound reps plus Lucas also does not any other semi clones to compete against unlike Dr. Mario.

Roy/Lucina- Pretty much everyone agrees there are too many Fire Emblem fighters. That being said cuts will happen and these 2 do not add much to the table and will be dropped completely in favor of a new series rep and a slightly lower fighter count for Fire Emblem.

R.O.B./Duck Hunt- Once again neither of these fighters are that relevant or super popular so I see them both being cut as well as the continuing exclusion of the Ice Climbers in favor of a brand new 8-Bit rep. They could be DLC since they are unique and represent different games but I do not see many returning fighter DLC coming in favor of new fighter DLC and I think there are other fighters who would return instead either due to popularity or slightly easier development (semi-clones).

Toon Link/Mii Fighters- Both are cut in favor of different fighters and will probably will not return as DLC.

Cloud-I do not see more than 3 3rd party companies being involved at launch so hopefully Nintendo and Square stay on similar if not better terms than they are now and Cloud will probably be back as DLC. If someone else (Koei Tecmo, Ubisoft, etc.) winds up co-developing the next Smash instead of Bandai Namco I say Pac-Man meets the same fate but there is nothing to suggest that would happen so he is safe for now.

Newcomers
Dark Pit/Mii- Not new characters but Miis have been reworked to have central, more authentic move set (maybe based on wii series or find mii). I have to agree with what someone else said on this thread and predict that Dark Pit will be modified to be a bit more distinct from pit which is why he returns and most other clone fighters do not.

Captain Toad- Toad is probably the most iconic nintendo character not in and his new big role and persona really help him stand out more and I see this really helping his chances at finally getting a spot in smash.

BotW Link- Given BotW's success we will probably get a fighter from that game. As much as I would like a different fighter this iteration of Link (I do not see him being called BotW Link but I am not really sure what else he would be called so I will call him that for now) is most iconic from the game and is the only thing to me that stands out with a good chance to be added. He has potential for a unique moveset using the materiel from the game and should replace Toon Link so it could wind up being pretty good.

Phantom Ganon- We have pretty much haad the same Zelda roster since Melee and since BotW Link takes on the other iteration of Link role I think we are treated to second rep to make up for lack of Zelda newcomers. As much as I want someone like Skull Kid I think this is the most likely. People have been wanting an authentic moveset for Ganondorf and I say we get it with this new fighter. He will use an original design based on past designs and the dark aura of Calamity Ganon (which is part of final smash). For some I reason I still just do not see them touching the lesser Zelda characters yet.

Decidueye- To be specific I think the latest grass-type final evolution will be added. Decidueye has that spot now but that could change. It just makes since to include a new Pokemon and filling up the 3 base types is something that really should just be done.

Dark Samus- Once again this could change but with the recent attention being given to Metroid a new rep has a good shot. I do not see it being Ridley because of the size debate and Dark Samus is probably the next reasonable fighter to stand out and has potiental for a decent moveset. This could become a different person like Sylux but I say that depends on the role and reception of people like that in the upcoming Metroid games so time will tell.

Dixie Kong- DK is one of the few franchises that has multiple requested fighters that most people agree on being Dixie and K. Rool and we will get one of them. Given Dixie has been more relevant lately and how using K. Rool has become a little obscure at this point for some reason I say Dixie is the choice for now.

Anna- Another placeholder, this spot will likely go to the protagonist of the latest Fire Emblem game but perhaps if the character is not unique or popular Anna could still get the spot. She has been serving big roles in most of the games lately and is only person in the series who can say this which makes her the leading candidate. Maybe there is a small chance Alm or Celica could also get this spot but Echoes will likely be old news at this point so I doubt it.

Elma- Xenoblade seems to be taking off lately so another rep could happen. Rex and Pyra could get this spot since they are the latest protagonist but Elma still could get her chance given Xenoblade X is a bit different and could provide different material and audience to appeal to so it could still go either way. I will give this spot to Elma for now but seeing Xenoblade 2's success will likely change this.

Takamaru- He has been considered before and given the continuing demand and interest in his series and this possibility could lead to his addition over veteran 8-Bit reps.

Badge Bunny- The tradition of a joke/unexpected fighter continues. Anyone's guess is as good as mine for this spot. He just seems relevant, unexpected, and has potential (moveset based on his exaggerated emotions) which to me makes it seems like the best fit in my opinion but that could easily change.

Inkling/Ribbon Girl- Not much to say, these games have taken off and have good fanbases and potential which makes them a no brainer. Even though Spring Man seems to be the main character Ribbon Girl in my opinion seems more popular and would add some more diversity so she could get the spot with a Spring Man alt.

Ryu Hayabusa/Rayman- I say Nintendo focuses on retaining there 3rd party fighters for launch with new additions coming as DLC. Right now the closest 2 companies Nintendo seems to be working with nicely are Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft so I say there icons get these spots for now. Konami could maybe take one of these spots (Ubisoft?) given things could be heading in a better direction there but time will tell.

Wolf- I think they are going to want to throw in a veteran not in the last smash to surprise us, Ice Climbers and Wolf seem to be the most requested but I see Wolf getting the spot being he is a semi clone which would probably make him the easier choice.

5 New Fighters
Ice Climbers/Wolf- Both highly requested and make sense, Wolf is a semi clone and given work seems to be have done at some point for Ice Climbers I say chances are good. It gives them easy picks and an opportunity to focus on this and save other fighters for the next Smash.

Inkling- Obvious choice, popular standout, will add this fighter and save the Arms rep as the new big IP rep for the next game.

Decidueye- Once again it just makes since to include a new Pokemon and fill up the 3 base types which should just really just be done. Other new Pokemon will likely comeout and be top picks for next time anyway with this popular pick potentially fading at that point.

BotW Link- BotW's success will probably get us a fighter from that game. As much as I would like a different fighter this iteration of Link (I do not see him being called BotW Link but I am not really sure what else he would be called so I will call him that for now) is most iconic from the game and is the only thing to me that stands out with a good chance to be added. He has potential for a unique moveset using the materiel from the game. Obviously there is another new Zelda rep that makes since in my opinion (Phantom Ganon) and could be added later and maybe with this fighter entering now maybe lesser fighter could have a shot sooner.

DreamRoster.png

Saw this video on YouTube about who would be included if there were only 30 fighters in the next game, I know it is not going to happen but I thought it make for an interesting discussion on who people think are the most important fighters for the franchise.

Not going to given reason for this or the Idea 100 Fighter roster since those are just based on my own personal opinion on who I want and think would fit best for each roster.

MinimumRoster.png

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 130850

Coming Soon Hopefully

Saw this video on YouTube about who would be included if there were only 30 fighters in the next game, I know it is not going to happen but I thought it make for an interesting discussion on who people think are the most important fighters for the franchise.

Not going to given reason for this or the Idea 100 Fighter roster since those are just based on my own personal opinion on who I want and think would fit best for each roster.

Oh man...thirty character roster time? Thirty character roster time.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4samus::4kirby::4dedede:
:4fox::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4littlemac:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4olimar::4villager::4ness:
:4pit::4rob:Inkling:4mii::4pacman::4sonic:

Personally I'd do something like that.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
My 30 character;
:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4wario::4dk::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4wiifit:
:4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4lucario::4mewtwo:
:4pit::4marth::4robinf::4ness::4falcon:(inkling)
:4olimar::popo::4villager::4shulk::4pacman::4bayonetta:

Thats defo what i would do lol.

View attachment 130850

Coming Soon Hopefully

Thats a great roster with good balanced choices. Not my prefferee Zelda characters but eh. I hate arcade bunny but he wouldnt surprise me. 9/10.

Theres a lack of Wario characters jn the 100 roster imo. 30 looks good too.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
This is one of my favorite pastimes. I always focus on trying to bring in more retro/obscure Nintendo representation, then hit interesting new IPs, and finally 3rd party reps that make sense or are overdue. Also, going to shill real quick for my "Super Smash Sisters" idea I posted a long time ago after being challenged to create a huge all female cast for a Smash game. The link is right here.

This is my attempt at a Smash 5 roster with very loose limits (32 newcomers, 4 returning vets):
*As a quick note, I'm not going into moveset changes unless I think the moveset change is important to changing the character (or notable). I'm also not going into alternate costumes/alt characters unless they already exist in the game and need to be addressed. I think we can all assume that both of these things will be fleshed out further in the actual game, so I will just briefly comment on what I feel necessary to explain my hypothetical changes. Also, I only limited myself to two 3rd party characters and trying to stick to as unique and varied a selection of Nintendo reps as I could think of while not going extremely overboard more than I already did (because I could have, easily).

Smash 4 Veterans:
all characters from Smash 4 return. I'm not a hater. The following changes would have to happen to the veteran cast, however:
  • Dark Pit: becomes a premiere costume for Pit, with all the same differences and unique content... just takes him off the CSS, basically
  • Dr. Mario: same treatment as Dark Pit, becomes costume for Mario
  • Ganondorf: now fights with dual blades as a reference to Hyrule Warriors, with a moveset that doesn't change much except to compensate for his new choice of weapon... his trident comes out during his Final Smash now, but he still turns into Ganon
  • Link: becomes his BotW incarnation, but still has the classic moveset with the weapons changing to match BotW weapons
  • Lucina: stays her own character, with some moveset changes to make her feel different enough to warrant this
  • Mario: loses FLUDD for his Mario Tornado again, now based on his Galaxy and 3D World spin jump... tossing his cap from Odyssey is worked into one or two of his standard attacks... and his Cape now works like it did in Mario World, becoming a full 360 degree spin (and giving him a chance to hover/divebomb opponents)
  • Mega Man: his jab gets more range and he becomes the first character who can move and jump around while charging his smash attack... moveset shifts to accommodate more combat focused Master Weapons (mainly, he ditches Metal Blade and Leaf Shield for better options)
  • Olimar: Alph diversifies a bit, gaining moveset tweaks including Rock Pikmin, while remaining a costume for Olimar
  • Wario: just because it bugs me, he gets back his shoulder charge for his FSmash
  • Zelda: doesn't change much, but noted that she's based on her BotW incarnation

Series Veterans: returning characters from 64, Melee, and Brawl
  • Ice Climbers: same as they always were, but get a new Final Smash
  • Wolf: back and ready to fight
  • Pichu: another returning vet, gets some moveset tweaks to make it a little different from Pikachu.. including its own Final Smash
  • Snake: because screw you, that's why
Newcomers: all new fighters (retro, new IPs, and 3rd party)
  • Toad: speedy, hard hitting, and small, he uses a combination of Mario 2 and Captain Toad abilities (Mario series)
  • Dixie Kong: sort of a Luigified Diddy clone, attacks using her DKC:TF and DKC2 abilities + Diddy's (DK series)
  • K. Rool: attacks with a mixture of his various gadgets, he's a heavyweight that relies on traps mostly (DK series)
  • Captain Syrup: another villain, she's a fast sword fighter with specials revolving around thievery and pirate tech (Wario)
  • Impa: based on Hyrule Warriors incarnation, she mixes up Ike's swordplay with Sheik's speed and specials (Zelda)
  • Ridley: he's not too big! A massive, speedy fighter with limited flight and insane range, but he's a big target (Metroid)
  • Marshadow: a surprise rep from Gen 7, but more clever than a starter. Small, teleporting shadowboxer (Pokemon)
  • Krystal: completely unique moveset that relies on her staff and psyonics (Star Fox)
  • FE Rep: could it be Lyn? somebody from FE Heroes? FE Fates? I don't know and don't care, but it fits (Fire Emblem)
  • Bandana Dee: the only rep left from Kirby... fights with his spear and a mixup of Parasol and Beam abilities (Kirby)
  • Inkling: can swap genders, gimmick where they "ink" the stage to give them an ability to swim around easier (Splatoon)
  • Spring Man/Ribbon Girl: not sure which to choose... either would have really good range, but limited options (ARMS)
  • Lion: a heavyweight who relies on guns and launching himself around the stage to deal damage (Codename: STEAM)
  • Lip: fan favorite flower fairy, can "catch" projectiles, poison foes with DOT flowers, and drop garbage blocks (PdP)
  • Barbara: bat musician and magician, she attacks with playing cards, her guitar, and sound waves (Jam with the Band)
  • Dillon: upgraded from AT, he fights by dashing into foes and slashing them up... combo friendly (Rolling Western)
  • Jill: riding the Drill Dozer mech, she is a small heavy weight that fights with various drill attachments (Drill Dozer)
  • Sami: mixes up guns, explosives, and strikers to create a playstyle fresher than Snake's (Advance Wars)
  • Isaac: a spellsword who rarely uses a sword, relying on psynergy to move foes or summon earthen magic (Golden Sun)
  • Elma: a mixup character who can swap between dual guns or dual blades (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  • Rola: an alien princess who fights using MA and some tech, summons her mech suit for stronger attacks (Metal Falcon)
  • Sukapon: quirky robot with disjointed limbs (+ hitboxes) who grapples foes and blows up on them (Joy Mech Fight)
  • Mike: another jack of all trades who wields various tools to fight: swords, slingshots, a yo-yo, baseballs... (Star Tropics)
  • Space Firebird: a "reimagined" classic character, a humanoid and huge space phoenix that fights with a variety of projectiles and summons (Space Firebird)
  • Chibi-Robo: can grab anything and "dispose" of it... also has a lot of neat tools to fight with (Chibi Robo)
  • Takamaru: samurai with a katana and projectiles, can turn invisible and call lightning too (Riddle of Castle Murasame)
  • Starman: a wrestler through and through, who grapples everything (Pro Wrestling)
  • Simon Belmont: fights with his Vampire Killer whip and some classic subweapons (Castlevania)
  • Bomberman: a trapper who lays bombs around the stage that explode on their own accord, can alter the bomb elements and also lay bombs/move them around a variety of different ways (Bomberman)
Some Assist Trophy Ideas: Because there are just some characters I love too much.
  • Ray MKIII: he went missing after Brawl... for shame
  • Trixie: the "mascot" of Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, which also featured the Duck Hunt dog...
  • Ibis: from Pilotwings, she could fly around the stage dropping hazards
  • Beyon: cat monster from Card Hero who uses diamonds to attack
  • Moogle: cast spells and dance, basically. why doesn't FF have an assist?
  • Hikari & Donbe: they could come out as a pair and use the 3 animals to attack (monkey, dog, pheasant)
  • Anything Eternal Darkness: can they even use this?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is one of my favorite pastimes. I always focus on trying to bring in more retro/obscure Nintendo representation, then hit interesting new IPs, and finally 3rd party reps that make sense or are overdue. Also, going to shill real quick for my "Super Smash Sisters" idea I posted a long time ago after being challenged to create a huge all female cast for a Smash game. The link is right here.

This is my attempt at a Smash 5 roster with very loose limits (32 newcomers, 4 returning vets):
*As a quick note, I'm not going into moveset changes unless I think the moveset change is important to changing the character (or notable). I'm also not going into alternate costumes/alt characters unless they already exist in the game and need to be addressed. I think we can all assume that both of these things will be fleshed out further in the actual game, so I will just briefly comment on what I feel necessary to explain my hypothetical changes. Also, I only limited myself to two 3rd party characters and trying to stick to as unique and varied a selection of Nintendo reps as I could think of while not going extremely overboard more than I already did (because I could have, easily).

Smash 4 Veterans:
all characters from Smash 4 return. I'm not a hater. The following changes would have to happen to the veteran cast, however:
  • Dark Pit: becomes a premiere costume for Pit, with all the same differences and unique content... just takes him off the CSS, basically
  • Dr. Mario: same treatment as Dark Pit, becomes costume for Mario
  • Ganondorf: now fights with dual blades as a reference to Hyrule Warriors, with a moveset that doesn't change much except to compensate for his new choice of weapon... his trident comes out during his Final Smash now, but he still turns into Ganon
  • Link: becomes his BotW incarnation, but still has the classic moveset with the weapons changing to match BotW weapons
  • Lucina: stays her own character, with some moveset changes to make her feel different enough to warrant this
  • Mario: loses FLUDD for his Mario Tornado again, now based on his Galaxy and 3D World spin jump... tossing his cap from Odyssey is worked into one or two of his standard attacks... and his Cape now works like it did in Mario World, becoming a full 360 degree spin (and giving him a chance to hover/divebomb opponents)
  • Mega Man: his jab gets more range and he becomes the first character who can move and jump around while charging his smash attack... moveset shifts to accommodate more combat focused Master Weapons (mainly, he ditches Metal Blade and Leaf Shield for better options)
  • Olimar: Alph diversifies a bit, gaining moveset tweaks including Rock Pikmin, while remaining a costume for Olimar
  • Wario: just because it bugs me, he gets back his shoulder charge for his FSmash
  • Zelda: doesn't change much, but noted that she's based on her BotW incarnation

Series Veterans: returning characters from 64, Melee, and Brawl
  • Ice Climbers: same as they always were, but get a new Final Smash
  • Wolf: back and ready to fight
  • Pichu: another returning vet, gets some moveset tweaks to make it a little different from Pikachu.. including its own Final Smash
  • Snake: because screw you, that's why
Newcomers: all new fighters (retro, new IPs, and 3rd party)
  • Toad: speedy, hard hitting, and small, he uses a combination of Mario 2 and Captain Toad abilities (Mario series)
  • Dixie Kong: sort of a Luigified Diddy clone, attacks using her DKC:TF and DKC2 abilities + Diddy's (DK series)
  • K. Rool: attacks with a mixture of his various gadgets, he's a heavyweight that relies on traps mostly (DK series)
  • Captain Syrup: another villain, she's a fast sword fighter with specials revolving around thievery and pirate tech (Wario)
  • Impa: based on Hyrule Warriors incarnation, she mixes up Ike's swordplay with Sheik's speed and specials (Zelda)
  • Ridley: he's not too big! A massive, speedy fighter with limited flight and insane range, but he's a big target (Metroid)
  • Marshadow: a surprise rep from Gen 7, but more clever than a starter. Small, teleporting shadowboxer (Pokemon)
  • Krystal: completely unique moveset that relies on her staff and psyonics (Star Fox)
  • FE Rep: could it be Lyn? somebody from FE Heroes? FE Fates? I don't know and don't care, but it fits (Fire Emblem)
  • Bandana Dee: the only rep left from Kirby... fights with his spear and a mixup of Parasol and Beam abilities (Kirby)
  • Inkling: can swap genders, gimmick where they "ink" the stage to give them an ability to swim around easier (Splatoon)
  • Spring Man/Ribbon Girl: not sure which to choose... either would have really good range, but limited options (ARMS)
  • Lion: a heavyweight who relies on guns and launching himself around the stage to deal damage (Codename: STEAM)
  • Lip: fan favorite flower fairy, can "catch" projectiles, poison foes with DOT flowers, and drop garbage blocks (PdP)
  • Barbara: bat musician and magician, she attacks with playing cards, her guitar, and sound waves (Jam with the Band)
  • Dillon: upgraded from AT, he fights by dashing into foes and slashing them up... combo friendly (Rolling Western)
  • Jill: riding the Drill Dozer mech, she is a small heavy weight that fights with various drill attachments (Drill Dozer)
  • Sami: mixes up guns, explosives, and strikers to create a playstyle fresher than Snake's (Advance Wars)
  • Isaac: a spellsword who rarely uses a sword, relying on psynergy to move foes or summon earthen magic (Golden Sun)
  • Elma: a mixup character who can swap between dual guns or dual blades (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  • Rola: an alien princess who fights using MA and some tech, summons her mech suit for stronger attacks (Metal Falcon)
  • Sukapon: quirky robot with disjointed limbs (+ hitboxes) who grapples foes and blows up on them (Joy Mech Fight)
  • Mike: another jack of all trades who wields various tools to fight: swords, slingshots, a yo-yo, baseballs... (Star Tropics)
  • Space Firebird: a "reimagined" classic character, a humanoid and huge space phoenix that fights with a variety of projectiles and summons (Space Firebird)
  • Chibi-Robo: can grab anything and "dispose" of it... also has a lot of neat tools to fight with (Chibi Robo)
  • Takamaru: samurai with a katana and projectiles, can turn invisible and call lightning too (Riddle of Castle Murasame)
  • Starman: a wrestler through and through, who grapples everything (Pro Wrestling)
  • Simon Belmont: fights with his Vampire Killer whip and some classic subweapons (Castlevania)
  • Bomberman: a trapper who lays bombs around the stage that explode on their own accord, can alter the bomb elements and also lay bombs/move them around a variety of different ways (Bomberman)
Some Assist Trophy Ideas: Because there are just some characters I love too much.
  • Ray MKIII: he went missing after Brawl... for shame
  • Trixie: the "mascot" of Barker Bill's Trick Shooting, which also featured the Duck Hunt dog...
  • Ibis: from Pilotwings, she could fly around the stage dropping hazards
  • Beyon: cat monster from Card Hero who uses diamonds to attack
  • Moogle: cast spells and dance, basically. why doesn't FF have an assist?
  • Hikari & Donbe: they could come out as a pair and use the 3 animals to attack (monkey, dog, pheasant)
  • Anything Eternal Darkness: can they even use this?
On one hand, I'm elated that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. has a character on the roster. On the other hand, I'm left wondering why you didn't go for Henry Fleming, considering he's the main character. :p

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, I'm elated that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. has a character on the roster. On the other hand, I'm left wondering why you didn't go for Henry Fleming, considering he's the main character. :p
I honestly rolled a random number and came up with Lion's! The cast is all fantastic. I'd be content with any of them, to be honest. But I did think Henry was pretty vanilla. Lion, John and Tiger Lily were also all over promo material and are far more interesting, I think.

Still have my fingers crossed for a HD update or sequel on the Switch :p

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
My 30 character;
:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4wario::4dk::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4samus::4zss::4wiifit:
:4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4lucario::4mewtwo:
:4pit::4marth::4robinf::4ness::4falcon:(inkling)
:4olimar::popo::4villager::4shulk::4pacman::4bayonetta:

Thats defo what i would do lol.

Thats a great roster with good balanced choices. Not my prefferee Zelda characters but eh. I hate arcade bunny but he wouldnt surprise me. 9/10.

Theres a lack of Wario characters jn the 100 roster imo. 30 looks good too.
Thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunately I have never played a Wario Land/Ware game, I have seen some names tossed around but they just do not stand out for me to add them at least not until I finally get around to playing one of these games.

Anyway I added my reasoning if anyone wanted a nice long read. I just went off of my general knowledge so hopefully I do not sound too stupid. I also added a thing on who I think would be added at launch if Smash Switch is just a port and my reasoning for those chioses too. Also replaced Harvest Moon Farmer on my 100 fighter roster with Earthworm Jim since I kind of forgot about him when I made that.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
where are all the icons coming from? as far as i can tell the roster maker hasn't been updated. thanks in advance!
People upload custom icons to the roster maker thread. From there you can manually add them into the program.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Just in case people were missing those four characters ;

My "realistic" roster updated :

(Smash Bros. ball = Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

My dream roster ;

(Smash Bros. ball = Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

UrbanChampionRising

Smash Cadet
A while back, I had posted my idea for a roster for Smash 5. Well, this next roster is more of a true dream roster, with a large cast of characters clocking in at 89 fighters.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Rosalina and Luma
Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario
Geno
Yoshi
Kamek
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
King K. Rool
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Vaati
Tingle
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Sylux
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Bandana Dee
Fox
Wolf
Krystal
Slippy
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Charizard
Lucario
Greninja
Decidueye
Team Rocket Grunt
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Ness
Lucas
Ninten
Porky Minch
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
Corrin
Hector
Anna
Chrom
Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Wario
Mona
Olimar
Villager
Isabelle
Little Mac
Wii Fit Trainer
Shulk
Mii Warrior
Inkling
Andy
Rhythm Girl
Isaac
Saki Amamiya
Mr. Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
Urban Champion
Lip
Sonic
Bayonetta
Mega Man
Ryu
Pac-Man
Bomberman
Simon Belmont
Terra Branford
Shantae

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My attempt at the 100 character roster challenge:
(Mixture of personal picks and strategic picks)

Row 1
Mr. Game & Watch
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Rosalina & Luma
Dr. Mario
Captain Toad
Yoshi
Wario
Ashley
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K.Rool
Cranky Kong

Row 2
R.O.B.
Duck Hunt (Duo)
Ice Climbers
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Skull Kid
Vaati
Tingle
Takamaru
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Ridley
Dark Samus
Sylux

Row 3
Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Dark Pit
Little Mac
King Hippo
Ness
Lucas
Marth
Roy
Ike
Robin
Chrom
Lucina
Corrin
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Row 4
Kirby
Dedede
Meta Knight
Bandana Dee
Magolor
Fox
Falco
Andross
Wolf
Krystal
Pikachu
Charizard
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Greninja
Decidueye

Row 5
Villager
Tom Nook
Isabelle
K.K. Slider
Issac
Andy
Pikmin & Olimar
Chibi Robo
Wii Fit Trainer
Chorus Kids
Shulk
Elma
Wonder Red
Inkling
Callie & Marie
Ribbon Girl (Spring Man alt)
Seedling

Row 6
Pac-Man
Lloyd Irving
Bomberman
Solid Snake
Mega Man
Ryu
Sonic the Hedgehog
Bayonetta
Rayman
Rabbids
Cloud
Geno
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Mii Fighter

Needs more Impa, but otherwise, extremely solid roster.

30 Character Roster? Ok I'll make one.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4marth::4myfriends::4pit::4ness::4villager:
:4samus::4zss::4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4falcon::4littlemac:
:4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4fox::4rob::4gaw:

This was surprisingly easy for me honestly.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
My attempt at this:

There are a total of 51 characters, with the following removed from Smash 4:

1 - Dr Mario
2 - Ganondorf
3 - Sheik
4 - Toon Link
5 - Falco
6 - Lucas
7 - Marth
8 - Roy
9 - Greninja
10 - Corrin
11 - Dark Pit
12 - Wii Fit Trainer
13 - Mii

With the following newcomers:

1 - King K. Rool
2 - Ganon
3 - Impa
4 - Sylux
5 - Mimikyu
6 - Inkling
7 - Spring-Man

Custom moves are now gone; the time spent on these is instead spent on giving more characters more fleshed out alternate costumes similar to the likes of Bowser Jr, Wario, and so on. Many of these are the characters removed above. Examples of these are:

Key: * means I don't care which character is primary so by all means switch them.
** means replace with a Fire Emblem character from the newest game for all I care

1 - Mario - Dr Mario
2 - Luigi - Paper Luigi
3 - Bowser - Dry Bowser
4 - Wario - Wario (Classic)
5 - Peach - Daisy
6 - Rosalina - Cosmic Rosalina
7 - Bowser Jr - Koopalings
8 - Yoshi - Yarn Yoshi
9 - Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Jr.
10 - Diddy Kong - Dixie Kong
11 - King K. Rool - Kaptain K. Rool
12 - Little Mac - Wireframe Mac
13 - Link - Toon Link (Or some other style; I don't mind)
14 - Zelda - See above
15 - Ganon - ???
16 - Impa - Sheik *
17 - Kirby - Yarn Kirby
18 - Meta Knight - Galacta Knight
19 - King Dedede - Masked Dedede
20 - Pit - Dark Pit
21 - Samus - Dark Samus
22 - Zero Suit Samus - Justin Bailey
23 - Sylux - ???
24 - Palutena - ??? (Is there some evil Palutena from Uprising? Never played it.)
25 - Pikachu
26 - Charizard
27 - Jigglypuff
28 - Bayonetta
29 - Mimikyu
30 - Mewtwo - Dark Mewtwo (Pokken)
31 - Lucario
32 - Cloud Strife
33 - Ike
34 - Lucina - Marth
35 - Robin **
36 - Ryu - Ken (If licenseable)
37 - Fox - Falco
38 - Olimar - Alph
39 - Shulk - ???
40 - Mega Man - Zero
41 - Villager (Male/Female)
42 - Captain Falcon - Blood Falcon
43 - Ness - Lucas
44 - Pac-Man - ??? (Wish there weren't licencing issues with Ms Pacman)
45 - Inkling
46 - Spring Man - Ribbon Girl
47 - Ice Climbers
48 - Sonic - Shadow
49 - Duck Hunt
50 - ROB
51 - Mr. Game & Watch

I really like the idea of more alts of this form - it's an easy way of paying more fanservice and not cramping an ever increasing CSS.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My attempt at this:

1 - Dr Mario
2 - Ganondorf
3 - Sheik
4 - Toon Link
5 - Falco
6 - Lucas
7 - Marth
8 - Roy
9 - Greninja
10 - Corrin
11 - Dark Pit
12 - Wii Fit Trainer
13 - Mii

1 - King K. Rool
2 - Ganon
3 - Impa
4 - Sylux
5 - Mimikyu
6 - Inkling
7 - Spring-Man

Custom moves are now gone; the time spent on these is instead spent on giving more characters more fleshed out alternate costumes similar to the likes of Bowser Jr, Wario, and so on. Many of these are the characters removed above. Examples of these are:

Key: * means I don't care which character is primary so by all means switch them.
** means replace with a Fire Emblem character from the newest game for all I care

1 - Mario - Dr Mario
2 - Luigi - Paper Luigi
3 - Bowser - Dry Bowser
5 - Peach - Daisy
8 - Yoshi - Yarn Yoshi
14 - Zelda - See above
15 - Ganon - ???
16 - Impa - Sheik *
17 - Kirby - Yarn Kirby
20 - Pit - Dark Pit
21 - Samus - Dark Samus
23 - Sylux - ???
24 - Palutena - ??? (Is there some evil Palutena from Uprising? Never played it.)
25 - Pikachu
26 - Charizard
27 - Jigglypuff
28 - Bayonetta
29 - Mimikyu
31 - Lucario
32 - Cloud Strife
33 - Ike
34 - Lucina - Marth
35 - Robin **
37 - Fox - Falco
38 - Olimar - Alph
39 - Shulk - ???
40 - Mega Man - Zero
43 - Ness - Lucas
45 - Inkling
47 - Ice Climbers
48 - Sonic - Shadow
49 - Duck Hunt
50 - ROB
51 - Mr. Game & Watch

I really like the idea of more alts of this form - it's an easy way of paying more fanservice and not cramping an ever increasing CSS.
I really can't get behind Marth getting demoted to a Lucina alt when the reverse was the original plan. :|

splat

Smash Lord
I really can't get behind Marth getting demoted to a Lucina alt when the reverse was the original plan. :|
Same for Sheik. Why cut her and make her an alt for Impa?

Would that mean Impa would get the same moveset as Sheik? Then why cut Sheik? It'd be a slap in the face for both fanbases: Impa geta a recycled set and Sheik is left off the initial roster. (Could you even consider Impa a true newcomer in that case?)

Would that mean Impa, and Sheik by proxy, get a new moveset? That'd be even worse: scrapping Sheik's perfectly fine moveset only to replace it with a cloned set.

Edit: also, it's silly to think removing custom moves allows for more costumes to be added. Because game developers can do everything, it's not like on is mostly gameplay related and the other takes up time in the art department...

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really get why people just mention Rex when they talk about a Xenoblade newcomer. It seems pretty clear to me from what we've seen that he can't function on his own. He needs Pyra to power/create his weapon.

He's a "driver" and in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 drivers need "blades" in order to fight. (and Pyra is a blade and she also seems to be the default one he teams up with)

I guess it's a little nitpicky but I can't see him getting in on his own. It'll likely be "Rex & Pyra" not just "Rex".

I might make an updated roster soon, it'll probably just be personal preference though. Outside of Inkling, Ice Climbers and maybe an Arms rep I'm not feeling that confident of anything.

D

Deleted member

I guess it's a little nitpicky but I can't see him getting in on his own. It'll likely be "Rex & Pyra" not just "Rex".
Meanwhile, :4olimar: is simply called "Olimar" in the West and not "Pikmin and Olimar" like in Japan.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meanwhile, :4olimar: is simply called "Olimar" in the West and not "Pikmin and Olimar" like in Japan.
To be fair, I'd say Pyra is more important to name drop than the Pikmin are, since they're less of partners and more of glorified weapons.

Plus, we still call her Rosalina and Luma here, so there's that. :p

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
May as well post my post-E3 roster now that everything has settled down.

Most of my choices come from very successful games that came out or shown to be coming out soon.

Also, Mipha can be replaced by any other important BotW character. I haven't played BotW yet, so I'm not entirely sure who to put for it.

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
My attempt at this:

1 - Dr Mario
2 - Ganondorf
3 - Sheik
4 - Toon Link
5 - Falco
6 - Lucas
7 - Marth
8 - Roy
9 - Greninja
10 - Corrin
11 - Dark Pit
12 - Wii Fit Trainer
13 - Mii

1 - King K. Rool
2 - Ganon
3 - Impa
4 - Sylux
5 - Mimikyu
6 - Inkling
7 - Spring-Man

1 - Mario - Dr Mario
2 - Luigi - Paper Luigi
3 - Bowser - Dry Bowser
5 - Peach - Daisy
8 - Yoshi - Yarn Yoshi
14 - Zelda - See above
15 - Ganon - ???
16 - Impa - Sheik *
17 - Kirby - Yarn Kirby
20 - Pit - Dark Pit
21 - Samus - Dark Samus
23 - Sylux - ???
25 - Pikachu
26 - Charizard
27 - Jigglypuff
28 - Bayonetta
29 - Mimikyu
31 - Lucario
32 - Cloud Strife
33 - Ike
34 - Lucina - Marth
35 - Robin **
37 - Fox - Falco
38 - Olimar - Alph
39 - Shulk - ???
40 - Mega Man - Zero
43 - Ness - Lucas
45 - Inkling
47 - Ice Climbers
48 - Sonic - Shadow
49 - Duck Hunt
50 - ROB
51 - Mr. Game & Watch

You cut :4falco: so you can have more Pokémon on your roster.
:4fox:is lowly.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Does anyone have a pack with all the new icons for the Roster Maker updated? It's kind of boring to save them one by one

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
What the? :4fox: is on there all alone were is :4falco: or :wolf:.
Veterans:
:4mario:
(:4luigi:)
:4bowser:
:4peach:
:rosalina:
(:4bowserjr:)
:4yoshi:
:4wario:
:4dk:
:4diddy:
:4link: