• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 is officially done

E3_Death.jpg

In an interview with The Washington Post, E3's organizer, Stanley Pierre-Louis, has announced that the show is permanently closed, ending the 28-year history of E3.

"We know it's difficult to say goodbye to such a beloved event, but it's the right thing to do given the new opportunities our industry has to reach fans and partners," Louis told in an interview. In the interview, he comments on how game developers and publishers were moving away from E3, even before COVID-19. The last in-person E3 was in 2019, with only a virtual event held in 2021. A 2023 event was announced then cancelled, and then E3 2024 lost its venue for the LA Convention Center. (Thanks, Siliconera and IGN!)

Even though E3 is officially over, gaming news will still be around at Summer Games Fest, The Game Awards, Nintendo Directs, Sony's State of Play and Xbox Games Showcase.

Author's Note: End of an era. I still remember WATCHING footage from E3 ages back, before live streaming had really caught on. It was nuts. I have a lot of good memories watching the show with friends and I'm sad to see it leave, but it makes sense. What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments!

Credits:
Writing: Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social: @Zerp

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

A shame, but the writing was on the wall since before Covid with Sony pulling out and then the big data breach. There's simply no trust in the ESA to protect your information and the loss of Sony made it less lucrative. It sucks that developers now have less chances to interact and share ideas with their peers which will also result in less cool things happening, especially in a year in which thousands were laid off.

Celebrating this is a celebration of the further corrosion of the industry.

I don't have much nostalgia for reveals themselves but I miss watching it with my dad.

Then again, hard to feel sad when we haven't had an E3 since 2019, and I was but a wee lad then.

Kind of crazy, remember trying to explain E3 to a family member while watching one the last showcases of 2019. Little did i think that would be the last of what i described as once a year gaming news christmas. RIP E3.

Now that e3 is dead does anyone know were i can find a bunch of cosplayers?
In germany?!
Or was the Gamescom the german one? That would probably close down too right?!

View attachment 381613

In an interview with The Washington Post, E3's organizer, Stanley Pierre-Louis, has announced that the show is permanently closed, ending the 28-year history of E3.

"We know it's difficult to say goodbye to such a beloved event, but it's the right thing to do given the new opportunities our industry has to reach fans and partners," Louis told in an interview. In the interview, he comments on how game developers and publishers were moving away from E3, even before COVID-19. The last in-person E3 was in 2019, with only a virtual event held in 2021. A 2023 event was announced then cancelled, and then E3 2024 lost its venue for the LA Convention Center. (Thanks, Siliconera and IGN!)

Even though E3 is officially over, gaming news will still be around at Summer Games Fest, The Game Awards, Nintendo Directs, Sony's State of Play and Xbox Games Showcase.

Author's Note: End of an era. I still remember WATCHING footage from E3 ages back, before live streaming had really caught on. It was nuts. I have a lot of good memories watching the show with friends and I'm sad to see it leave, but it makes sense. What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments!

Credits:
Writing: Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social: @Zerp
RIP E3

Top Bottom