• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
How are you playing Melee on the Wii U?
You can load a backup version of your legally owned copy of melee from the wii mode of your wii u. While you are playing said backup, the wii u recognizes the wii u pro controller as a classic controller, and it works great. The advantage of this is getting almost no input lag through an hdtv while playing melee which has never been possible before. Due to the wii u's hdmi connection the lag is significantly reduced. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links here though :).

DeanAdamFry

Smash Supporter
NNID
DeanAdamFry
3DS FC
2423-3337-0046
You can load a backup version of your legally owned copy of melee from the wii mode of your wii u. While you are playing said backup, the wii u recognizes the wii u pro controller as a classic controller, and it works great. The advantage of this is getting almost no input lag through an hdtv while playing melee which has never been possible before. Due to the wii u's hdmi connection the lag is significantly reduced. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links here though :).
Ahh right thank you. Oh well I don't even have the melee disc anymore so I'm hoping SSB4 comes out sooner.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So interestingly enough, Brandon Nance (one of the Apex organizers or something) posted on his Facebook that the list apparently sucks for the invitational. I ain't friends with him, I only heard it from a friend of mine who has him friended, but it seems that what he heard is that the players are medicore.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Who do you guys speculate will be invited to this tournament? There's a lot of potential players, but I think most would agree that Mew2King is almost a given considering his tournament record.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Who do you guys speculate will be invited to this tournament? There's a lot of potential players, but I think most would agree that Mew2King is almost a given considering his tournament record.
I have no preferences, but my cousin is dead set on having Ken appear at this tournament. :laugh:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I would love that. He's an amazing player, and his Marth in Melee inspired my Marth's playstyle in Project M.
Well then, you and him are two of the same kind. He takes great inspiration from Ken (or, as he calls him, Ken-senpai), and he tries to emulate Ken's Marth playstyle in Melee and Project M.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Well then, you and him are two of the same kind. He takes great inspiration from Ken (or, as he calls him, Ken-senpai), and he tries to emulate Ken's Marth playstyle in Melee and Project M.
Cool! I guess your friend and I ARE pretty similar. Now, if only I could land that Ken Combo... :p

So yeah, in regards to the OP, I would like Ken to be invited.

Last edited:

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
I hope they do it like some cheesy TV lottery-show with Reggie driving around in a car with his camera crew to peoples homes and knocks on the pro players doors:
*Puzzled Jason opens door and sees Reggie*
"Suprise Jason 'M2K' Zimmerman, I'm Reggie Fils-Aime and I'm here to ask you: Is your body ready?" *Hands over invite letter (wich ofcourse looks exactly like the one villager got in his trailer)*

Then they put up these individualy on the Nintendo youtube channel. (I guess non Americans, if there are any, would have to be called/contacted via skype or something similar. If Nintendo don't want to send Reggie and camera crew around the globe that is)

Last edited:

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
Wait, so what's the exact method you would go about doing this? Sounds really cool, I'd love to try this! If you don't mind could you PM me the link you were talking about?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
WAIT! What?

You put your melee disc in your WiiU?

What what what !!!!! How What?

How?
What!!!!!?

It involves modding Wii Mode doesnt it...........

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see any established players being invited. Given by Nintendo's treatment of the competitive scene, I wouldn't be surprised if they invited 16 random people that have obvious, novice-level flaws who just play semi-fast and make it look like professional play.

One can hope, though.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
I hope they do it like some cheesy TV lottery-show with Reggie driving around in a car with his camera crew to peoples homes and knocks on the pro players doors:
*Puzzled Jason opens door and sees Reggie*
"Suprise Jason 'M2K' Zimmerman, I'm Reggie Fils-Aime and I'm here to ask you: Is your body ready?" *Hands over invite letter (wich ofcourse looks exactly like the one villager got in his trailer)*

Then they put up these individualy on the Nintendo youtube channel. (I guess non Americans, if there are any, would have to be called/contacted via skype or something similar. If Nintendo don't want to send Reggie and camera crew around the globe that is)
Yes. This so hard.
I even think this could happen.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Yeah, it would be freaking cool if the invitation happened to be some cool video or something. I would literally laugh my ass off if Priap0s' idea became true.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it would be freaking cool if the invitation happened to be some cool video or something. I would literally laugh my *** off if Priap0s' idea became true.
Me too mate, me too.
Then I'd cry tears of joy and after that I'd come back here with some big "I told you so"-talk and pretend to have inside connections at Nintendo.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
So interestingly enough, Brandon Nance (one of the Apex organizers or something) posted on his Facebook that the list apparently sucks for the invitational. I ain't friends with him, I only heard it from a friend of mine who has him friended, but it seems that what he heard is that the players are medicore.
RIP in peace invitational

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
RIP in peace invitational
Do you at least know who is on the list -- because I was expecting players like Mew2King, and a few others to be invited.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I wonder if that brawl player who won the first brawl tournament at evo got invited haha.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
So wait, this guy knows they are mediocre players? So they're known mediocre players? That seems like a weird choice.

Last edited:

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
By known mediocre players, I'm guessing he means like Youtube personalities or something

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It just seems odd. I thought if they would pick known players, they would be pros and if they were going to pick mediocre players they would be unknowns. Although, I don't really know Nintendo.

This is still just a rumor, and not a very concrete one at that. We heard it from a guy, who heard it from a friend who saw it on Facebook.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
I'm not expecting a dream team of the best Melee players from back in the day, I'll be content with just m2k destroying nobodies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Given Nintendo minimal involved in the past tournment scene I wouldn't get yourself all worked if the ideal players aren't chosen, there is a very strong possibility of it.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
It just seems odd. I thought if they would pick known players, they would be pros and if they were going to pick mediocre players they would be unknowns. Although, I don't really know Nintendo.

This is still just a rumor, and not a very concrete one at that. We heard it from a guy, who heard it from a friend who saw it on Facebook.
Well actually, he apparently posted this to Twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/juiceDiem/status/464133550418444289

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well actually, he apparently posted this to Twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/juiceDiem/status/464133550418444289
He says in response: "there are people who don't deserve to be on there." Which implies that some of the picks are good, at least.
I still don't buy it. (I could easily see Nintendo not picking pros, I just don't see why this guys would know. I thought because they made such a big deal bout it, it would be something involving pro players.)

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, for our sakes, I hope he is wrong haha. I'm hoping but doubtful Nintendo will really deliver on the players they invite.

Top Bottom