• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
The ball's in our court now, and we have to do our best to appeal to Nintendo through this event. That means the invited players acting decent and keeping a clean mouth and attitude, and them bearing in mind the tournament's going to be streamed worldwide and family friendly. So if anyone mouths off or acts out of line, that will impact our community badly. (Assuming the players will actually be from the smash community.)

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
The ball's in our court now, and we have to do our best to appeal to Nintendo through this event. That means the invited players acting decent and keeping a clean mouth and attitude, and them bearing in mind the tournament's going to be streamed worldwide and family friendly. So if anyone mouths off or acts out of line, that will impact our community badly. (Assuming the players will actually be from the smash community.)
#MangoForInvitational2014

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
lmao I'm laughing thinking about what crazy s*** M2K would do

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Last edited by a moderator:

pickle962

Smash Lord
I honestly doubt Nintendo is gonna invite emotionally ******** people like *cringe* POO POO PIE *cringe* to fly on over to LA to compete in the smash 4 tournament! Given how the big N knows of at least that smash has a competitive scene seeing as how they tried (and righteously got their asses handed to them as a result) to ban Melee from being streamed at last years EVO, I'd imagine they'd select at least half of the best smashers in the competitive scene as participants in the smash 4 tournament as a way to make up for their d*ck move last summer ;)

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I wanna see Reggie battle, just cuz' he would probably not do too well. It'd be awesome. XD

They will totally reveal Miis here, btw. Then a battle will start. Sakurai vs Reggie vs Miyamoto vs Iwata. To the Death.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why wouldn't the players be from the Smash community? Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of holding the invitational?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
What if during their conference or before the event starts, they reveal that the tournament will be hosted using Smash 4's tournament mode. When the event starts, it's revealed the mode has been revamped to provide way more options, similar to Mario Kart 8 but more Smash oriented. Not being locked to one character, the ability to make rounds two out of three, double elimination, banning stages from being selectable, item switch, etc. Then after the tournament ends and the winner is declared, Reggie/Iwata/Sakurai walks on stage and reveals this mode will also be available for online, and that you can use the 3DS version to create and view tournaments on the Wii U version and vice versa.

And because I'm feeling extra ambitious right now, also reveal that matches can be streamed/uploaded to youtube, and that all of the matches that were just shown can be viewed right now.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What if during their conference or before the event starts, they reveal that the tournament will be hosted using Smash 4's tournament mode. When the event starts, it's revealed the mode has been revamped to provide way more options, similar to Mario Kart 8 but more Smash oriented. Not being locked to one character, the ability to make rounds two out of three, double elimination, banning stages from being selectable, item switch, etc. Then after the tournament ends and the winner is declared, Reggie/Iwata/Sakurai walks on stage and reveals this mode will also be available for online, and that you can use the 3DS version to create and view tournaments on the Wii U version and vice versa.
Even if that all were the case, that would still be the only time people would ever use it.

Efficient or not, Tourney Mode is always slower than just having TO's managing "regular" matches. And in sizable Smashfests, time is most certainly of the essence.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi

And because I'm feeling extra ambitious right now, also reveal that matches can be streamed/uploaded to youtube, and that all of the matches that were just shown can be viewed right now.
It sounds almost too good to be true, yet it's realistic since MK8 has these features now and they know smash needs it...just imagine how amazing it will be!

D

Deleted member

Allowing people to stream directly to Twitch or upload to Youtube would REALLY boost peoples interest in the game. Not unreasonable to believe that could happen, MK8 has similar features, so why can't Smash?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Even if that all were the case, that would still be the only time people would ever use it.

Efficient or not, Tourney Mode is always slower than just having TO's managing "regular" matches. And in sizable Smashfests, time is most certainly of the essence.
Won't deny in a real life tournament this would obviously not be ideal. But for online fun/mildly serious stuff I could see this being used a lot. The game would be managing and enforcing the rules for you and wins would just be recorded by the game so no need to worry about recording false wins.

And they could have a feature if a match isn't played within certain amount of time both or one of the players is just d/q'd, though their's a lot of potential abuse in that.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just want to point out that if you go on the nintendo e3 site, then click on the twitch tv icon, you get to an offline stream titled for the tournament so it will be streamed on twitch? YAY!!! I like twitch because I can watch speedrunners.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I've just had a thought, maybe Sakurai does want to invite the melee players, not just because they're good but he's trying to show ssb4 is the game to play. Maybe having the melee veterans show it's potential might push people to leave melee ect and play ssb4. I don't think any game developer would want to continuously make games and have it ditched for a 13 year old game. I know melee will be hard to top but I think that would be a good reason to bring in the melee pros.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I just want to point out that if you go on the nintendo e3 site, then click on the twitch tv icon, you get to an offline stream titled for the tournament so it will be streamed on twitch? YAY!!! I like twitch because I can watch speedrunners.
I just checked their twitch channel (which I'm actually surprised that they have one). And the title still reads "Nintendo Direct"

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
:shyguy:This is what I speculate. Since it's 16 players, and there are currently 3 (or four, if they count in PM) SSB games, they will get 5 ( or four, counting pm) players from each game in the bracket. Maybe the last player (excluding pm) will be randomly drawn?

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
:shyguy:This is what I speculate. Since it's 16 players, and there are currently 3 (or four, if they count in PM) SSB games, they will get 5 ( or four, counting pm) players from each game in the bracket. Maybe the last player (excluding pm) will be randomly drawn?
i dont think they would count PM since its a mod.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
You know what would be amazing? If at the end of the tournament, they revealed a character through the game, like in Brawl, "challenger approaching" and then the winner of the tournament would fight the newcomer. inb4theylose

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You know what would be amazing? If at the end of the tournament, they revealed a character through the game, like in Brawl, "challenger approaching" and then the winner of the tournament would fight the newcomer. inb4theylose
This should happen, and reggie should also fight them as stated. Also how funny would it be if they said to show off who we invited we thought it would only be fair to show you the smash way. Cue live action trailer, with each person getting their own tagline. Make it happen sakurai!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
If that happens I hope it's Lady Palutena and the CPU wipes the floor with the challenger.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wonder when they'll be able to speak about their invites (Anyone who got invited) once they got them. Maybe Nintendo's keeping it so they announce the full list of players at once...
They're probably going to announce them all at once a few days prior to the tournament.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I will say that the newcomer should at least be possible to beat.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
Find a fighting game on the Wii U. Practice with all the control schemes.

I did this myself before the Brawl release at GameStop. I did mediocre, but it helped me get the feel of it. I used Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and its Wiimote and Nunchucku controls to do so.
It is possible to play melee on the wii u with the wii u pro controller. That's what I've been doing, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is possible to play melee on the wii u with the wii u pro controller. That's what I've been doing, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Excellent. I don't know what control scheme the actual tourney will use, so work with any you can. That means stuff for Brawl too. XD

Morbi

Scavenger
My sister, someone who isn't even interested in the competitive scene, is now really excited for the invitational. I re-watched EVO 2013 with her and she is excited, it is weird having to describe each player and their accomplishments and whatnot. But she really wants to see Mew2King, Armada, and Mango at the invitational.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I honestly doubt Nintendo is gonna invite emotionally ******** people like *cringe* POO POO PIE *cringe* to fly on over to LA to compete in the smash 4 tournament! Given how the big N knows of at least that smash has a competitive scene seeing as how they tried (and righteously got their ***** handed to them as a result) to ban Melee from being streamed at last years EVO, I'd imagine they'd select at least half of the best smashers in the competitive scene as participants in the smash 4 tournament as a way to make up for their d*ck move last summer ;)
Seriously i hear this to much.
The higher ups at nintendo were not against the tourny at evo the lawyers were. The nintendo lawyers were just trying to protect the nintendo franchise until the higher ups heard about it and told their political dogs to back off.

Top Bottom