• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm actually more concerned about the community reaction then who Nintendo actually choose. I think it's important to keep what I said in mind as a severely negative reaction just because the people who get invited may not fit the ideal of this community could easily backfire given Nintendo's already rather hestiate nature and they could easily be lead to believe that the competitive scene isn't worth addressing.

Morbi

Scavenger
He says in response: "there are people who don't deserve to be on there." Which implies that some of the picks are good, at least.
I still don't buy it. (I could easily see Nintendo not picking pros, I just don't see why this guys would know. I thought because they made such a big deal bout it, it would be something involving pro players.)
I am not entirely convinced that he would know either, but at the same time, he seems passionate about it being a bad list... so you never know. I mean, I am certain that Nintendo is competent enough to at least get one or two heavy-hitters. That is enough, we just need hype grand finals.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I am not entirely convinced that he would know either, but at the same time, he seems passionate about it being a bad list... so you never know. I mean, I am certain that Nintendo is competent enough to at least get one or two heavy-hitters. That is enough, we just need hype grand finals.
That seems more like what this guy seems to be implying with his comment. That most aren't deserving, but there are some good players.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
You know, I've been thinking about it, and in the dreadful event the invited players actually are "mediocre", I will really feel bad for them. They will garner a lot of hate in the community for something that isn't even their fault and be treated as frauds universally.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Nope. Not yet. Hopefully soon, though.
E3 is three weeks from Tuesday. If I had to bet, I'd say either this coming Monday/Tuesday, or the following Monday/Tuesday (2 weeks prior to event). They are shooting themselves in the foot though if they don't do it next week to gain maximum exposure.

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
If anything, I think that this event will at least show us a little bit about how Nintendo views a "Smash tournament" as. Heck, we don't even know what the RULESET for the dang thing is gonna be. It could be items on, time matches with all stages legal for all we know. I'm not exactly sure how Nintendo views "skilled players" as either. Maybe they do pay attention to the results at events like EVO or Apex. Then again, they could just be looking at their list of online Brawl players and looking at whoever the heck had the most wins/fewest losses ratio. Or maybe they are just gaming celebs. I don't freaking know. We're honestly just gonna have to wait for the event to run its course.

Morbi

Scavenger
If anything, I think that this event will at least show us a little bit about how Nintendo views a "Smash tournament" as. Heck, we don't even know what the RULESET for the dang thing is gonna be. It could be items on, time matches with all stages legal for all we know. I'm not exactly sure how Nintendo views "skilled players" as either. Maybe they do pay attention to the results at events like EVO or Apex. Then again, they could just be looking at their list of online Brawl players and looking at whoever the heck had the most wins/fewest losses ratio. Or maybe they are just gaming celebs. I don't freaking know. We're honestly just gonna have to wait for the event to run its course.
I wouldn't even be mad, I have never seen a time match tournament (no stage bans) with items on. That would be interesting in and of itself.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Realistically, I think we should all expect all stages to be legal and all items to be on. I'm sure Nintendo wants to showcase the game and all it's features. I highly doubt they would use a competitive format like we are used to. The closest scenario we could get to that is them using For Glory rules, which I still don't think will be happening.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
E3 is three weeks from Tuesday. If I had to bet, I'd say either this coming Monday/Tuesday, or the following Monday/Tuesday (2 weeks prior to event). They are shooting themselves in the foot though if they don't do it next week to gain maximum exposure.
That's about what I think. Better not be later than that. It will probably be coming soon.

I wouldn't even be mad, I have never seen a time match tournament (no stage bans) with items on. That would be interesting in and of itself.
Hell, that would show way more of the game (that's what I want anyway). Honestly, I'm concerned that won't be the case, but I may be able to play it myself so it doesn't concern me too much.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
Realistically, I think we should all expect all stages to be legal and all items to be on. I'm sure Nintendo wants to showcase the game and all it's features. I highly doubt they would use a competitive format like we are used to. The closest scenario we could get to that is them using For Glory rules, which I still don't think will be happening.
Will the invited smashers be playing for fun or for glory? I like to think the latter, and that is what Nintendo will use for the invitational.

Morbi

Scavenger
Will the invited smashers be playing for fun or for glory? I like to think the latter, and that is what Nintendo will use for the invitational.
Most likely "for fun" because it is supposed to be for fun! No? No one cares? Okay.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I just hope everyone at the tournament doesn't pick characters like this:
:4fox::4marth::4littlemac::4fox::4marth::4fox::4marth::4megaman:
Hopefully we'll see all the characters.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Do we know who the invited Smashers will be? Or any rumors about that?

I've been out of the loop as of late. So much so that I'm only noticing MorbidAltruism turned from Vin Diesel to Tywin Lannister.

Morbi

Scavenger
Do we know who the invited Smashers will be? Or any rumors about that?

I've been out of the loop as of late. So much so that I'm only noticing MorbidAltruism turned from Vin Diesel to Tywin Lannister.
You missed my entire Christain Bale phase... and my Natalie Dormer phase. But there have been rumors about the list, not necessarily about the specific players on the list. The rumors pertain to the notion that the list is horrible, apparently.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
You missed my entire Christain Bale phase... and my Natalie Dormer phase. But there have been rumors about the list, not necessarily about the specific players on the list. The rumors pertain to the notion that the list is horrible, apparently.
Aah, I see. So no specifics yet...

I imagine competitive players will feel left out and there will be complaints from the Smash community regardless of Nintendo's choices, as the space will surely be so limited, it will be hard to please the fans.

LOL, and yeah, I think I do remember the Bale avatar, it just didn't stick with me as much as "smiling Vin Diesel". :laugh:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Further details on the Smash Invitational Tournament:

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/nintendo-details-super-smash-bros-invitational-e3-event

"
You could be one of the lucky spectators who’ll get to watch the tournament live and in-person! It all happens at the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE on June 10th. Pick up your wristband starting at 9:30 a.m. PT on the day of the show to reserve your spot.

Pro tip: Dress up as your favorite Super Smash Bros. character and you may get chosen for priority seating. The event will be photographed and filmed, so attendees might appear on Twitch or Nintendo’s YouTube channel.

Tournament and live attendance details:
9:30 a.m. PT: Wristband distribution begins at NOKIA Plaza at L.A. LIVE, 777 Chick Hearn Court in Los Angeles. A wristband is required for entry, and 3,000 wristbands are available to Nintendo fans on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning. Once a wristband is obtained, fans can leave the plaza area and then return later that day, closer to the start of the event. The order that wristbands were obtained in the morning does not impact the order of entry into the venue in the afternoon.

2:30 p.m. PT: Doors open

4 p.m. PT: Super Smash Bros. Invitational begins"

http://e3.nintendo.com/invitational/

Last edited:

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/nintendo-details-super-smash-bros-invitational-e3-event

"
You could be one of the lucky spectators who’ll get to watch the tournament live and in-person! It all happens at the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE on June 10th. Pick up your wristband starting at 9:30 a.m. PT on the day of the show to reserve your spot.

Pro tip: Dress up as your favorite Super Smash Bros. character and you may get chosen for priority seating. The event will be photographed and filmed, so attendees might appear on Twitch or Nintendo’s YouTube channel.

9:30 a.m. PT: Wristband distribution begins at NOKIA Plaza at L.A. LIVE, 777 Chick Hearn Court in Los Angeles. A wristband is required for entry, and 3,000 wristbands are available to Nintendo fans on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. Fans are requested to not line up prior to Tuesday morning. Once a wristband is obtained, fans can leave the plaza area and then return later that day, closer to the start of the event. The order that wristbands were obtained in the morning does not impact the order of entry into the venue in the afternoon.

Someone should dress up as Ridley sort of like a Chinese New Year dragon. They should get front row seats wearing that!

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
4 pm pacific...

Noooo I have a summer class then. I'm gonna miss seeing it live :(

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
7 PM, sweet. I have nothing else going on then, so it's perfect for me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wanna see the whole front row be a bunch of Ridleys looking dramatically at Sakurai during his presentation. I also want to see a pure Twitch-style riot by them when he showcases Ridley as a boss.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Well they did use 'highly skilled' in the description.
I think the top melee/brawl players from their respective tournaments would be a decent guess.

Then again they also stated that the tournament would be a celebration for 'all things smash' rather than an event to just crown a winner for new fans along with veterans.

Perhaps they'll have players like Mango and M2K but the mode will be consisted of using items and other random aspects instead of the usual tournament settings.
I'm guessing it will be for Glory mode rule sets.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
A weird though just occurred to me: what if someone cosplay as Paper Mario?

But seriously, I'll laugh if a bunch of ridley come.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394

"

Some people might try to cosplay as the Wii Fit Trainers and bleach their skin Michael Jackson style.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>Hoping a Rosalina cosplayer shows up, Rosalina cosplayers are always really good at it for some reason.

Would be hilarious to Sonic cosplayers, though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I was expecting a little more info (like maybe the players names), but some info is good too. Though, this info seems more useful for those planning on attending. I think the cosplay thing is pretty funny.

Morbi

Scavenger
Top Bottom