• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. Invitational - Players/Rules Announced

D

Deleted member 245254

I was going to argue this, but your last sentence demonstrated that you are an unreasonable person. I'm sorry you feel cheated but I and many others loved the match and felt ZeRo made good use of what he was given. Tactics. What a concept.

Besides, advantage or not there is no way to be sure you're gonna live a sudden death.
The scarf comment was so far and away irrelevant from my argument, so if you're going to dismiss it in the face of the very real reality of how Zero played...that's your loss of virtue.

Zero banked completely on sudden death for the win. What would have happened if the match wasn't timed? He disrespected what most of us actually wanted to see at this tournament which is a good skill based 1v1 to the ring out. Instead he wanted to win this so badly, that dragged it in to sudden death, which isn't climactic in any sense of the word. A sudden death win may as we'll be a damn coin flip. It was a mockery of skill-based play. Simple as that.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
The scarf comment was so far and away irrelevant from my argument, so if you're going to dismiss it in the face of the very real reality of how Zero played...that's your loss of virtue.

Zero banked completely on sudden death for the win. What would have happened if the match wasn't timed? He disrespected what most of us actually wanted to see at this tournament which is a good skill based 1v1 to the ring out. Instead he wanted to win this so badly, that dragged it in to sudden death, which isn't climactic in any sense of the word. A sudden death win may as we'll be a damn coin flip. It was a mockery of skill-based play. Simple as that.
It was playing to win. It was the best way to improve his chances of winning, and thanks to that he won. That's being competitive.

Stop being a scrub.

D

Deleted member 245254

It was playing to win. It was the best way to improve his chances of winning, and thanks to that he won. That's being competitive.

Stop being a scrub.
What did he win? A silly little trophy? He certainly isn't going to be highly regarded by the community for his performance...hate to break it to you but you're in the minority. Majority of folks believe he - to use the scientific term - played gay.

It makes it all the worse that nothing was really on the line here. He went to such GREAT miserable lengths to win when there was literally no stakes. Desperate is all that looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
What did he win? A silly little trophy? He certainly isn't going to be highly regarded by the community for his performance...hate to break it to you but you're in the minority. Majority of folks believe he - to use the scientific term - played gay.

It makes it all the worse that nothing was really on the line here. He went to such GREAT miserable lengths to win when there was literally no stakes. Desperate is all that looks.
Melee and Brawl were games where gimping and edge-hogging at low percentages is considered a legit tactic.
Playing to win has nothing to do with making a crowd happy.

N0ble1

Smash Rookie
ZeRo and HungryBox played to win, with that said characters are locked, ZSS was mobile than Kirby, sucks the grand final was only best of one.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman

Ok, so majority means that you are right. Great. Now comes a class on argument and knowledge and why your opinion is, basically, wrong or toxic for a community.

There is a reason why not everybody is allowed to voice his oppinion unless he has some info on the stuff. That's called authority argument (more or less, is called this way in my language).

It comes down to: the one who understand more about the problem, is usually right.

(But it can be a falacy too. It's a falacy when you take it as "The one who knows most, it's ALWAYS, or ABSOLUTELY right")

It expands over the one who knows more, can see more points about the problem thus making most of your points already obsolete or looked already at. It prevents scinece to have to prove every thing they use evvery time they have to use it.

But the wiser can't look at all things, it might be biased too. That's why if someone makes a valid point who has not been proven false it must be taken care of. (Or if someone plainly contradicts him, he must make sure to see that the contradiction is false or what's the fault on his knowledge).

An example how can it come in both ways:
If 20 children in a class want to leave because is better out, they are usually wrong because they have to study. (Even so, the minority who thinks "the teacher does it right" will be called "idiots" because the majority clearly doesn't want to go to class). The children don't know that education is important yet, but the teacher knows, that's why the teacher stops the children from leaving.

But if 20 children who saw a fire started in a nearby classroom say they want to leave because is better out, well, they are right. Because the teacher doesn't know about it yet.

Now coming to you:

COMPETITIVE people play in a TOURNEY where a COMPETITIONS is hold. A competition is some sort of comparation using a medium between a competitiors and a set of rules regarding who wins, and how they win, how they can use that medium.

Few people will say that Zero did good playing to win. That's because these people know what i just explicitly stated. They are competitive, too, so they must know better too, but this is secondary.

MOst of the people don't play in tourney... don't even know the most basic thing stated before. They will just say "that looked bad". And if that looked bad DONT watch this game tourneys because the strategy needed to win in Brawl (and in this game, but we will have to see about this) is similar to it, thus you will be bored.

But you can't say that "it's wrong". He played to win, it's right. The competitive gaming looks bad, that it's right. There is time to improvement, that it's right. The tactic was really bad looking, that's right.

But Zero didn't play bad for using a bad looking tactic. That a flawed argument. In a competition there is no place for looks so much as in style. Competitive people, smart people, and esentially everybody who knows what i wrote before know this. If we are minority, well, too bad. There's a reason why we have authority and that's knowledge. There's a reason why we know you are wrong and that's knowledge (and i've just proven it to you).

So yeah, the majority means you are right. Right. Next time go ask a bunch of people how to cure a cold and do a vote to see what's the majority's option and use that. Good luck man.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let me make this simple for you since you seem to be utterly missing the point with your long-winded rambling.

This tournament was shown to a huge amount of people, both competitive and casual. New players and old.

These "pros" were hand picked for the sole purpose of building hype for the game. Nintendo had no, see : zero intent on trying to evaluate who the best player is. It was purely for showing off the game.

So while indefinitely understand a "play to win" mentality, what do you think Zero's gameplay showed to the masses? People are literally crying "Brawl 2.0" post invitational, almost singularly based off of what he did and how he chose to win that match.

It's a crying shame that you can't manage to see the agonizing disservice to the Smash community that Zero displayed in the final minutes of that match.

There were no stakes. It was purely for fun. It was intended to showcase the action and fun of he game. What does he do? Go in like a tourney-___ "playing to win", and doing it in the most anti-climactic and disrespectful way the community knows how...what does that show to the viewers? Casual, competitive, players new and old alike.

It was bad form for the setting, it doesn't matter if it would be deemed valid. This tournament was all about image.

KDJ SANDBAGGED in to Megamans Final just for a crowd pleaser. That man deserves the trophy more than that poor excuse for an invitational champion we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
So apparently the rest of the tournament doesnt count then? The fan favorite bracket, the media match, the celebrity match, none of it. That single match out of 11+ was made for the more cut and dry competitive crowd and the players did what they had to. Heck I prefer items and, even with the sudden death ender, I loved the final match because the vast majority of it was them going at it.

People saw and loved the game. Players played. Items were used. Items were also not used. The invitational accomplished it's purpose. Most people are saying they like what they saw and I seriously doubt people will drop the game because of one sudden death, so it must not have been much of a disservice.

[goes on to dream of smash]

EDIT: smash in 30seconds http://e3.nintendo.com/treehouse/

Last edited:

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Me and my boyfriend were watching just in case they made a character announcement. Figured another character would get announced, instead of at some random unbroadcasted interview.

Don't really care for the competitive scene, didn't really care for the tournament besides seeing gameplay. Thought it was a fun way to show off gameplay when very little has been shown.
Both of us were just sitting there going "really?" at the final match.

Couldn't believe I sat through listening to those annoying announcers talk for two hours, all built up to see a cheaply drawnout match for the finals.

Also its June. I don't understand the scarf.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
One on one, Ken wins against the running Lilo. lol
Glad Milktea and Ken got a chance to fight, their match was better.

Top Bottom