• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's a different kind of racing game though... Wipeout never competed with CTR or the PS, they have different demographics... Admittedly Nintendo could do with a realistic driving SIM, like Forza and Gran Turismo, more than a speedster arcade racer... but that's not very Nintendo...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
>People not saying Shulk for a tie-in with X
>whatamireading.jpg
>#itwillhappen

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
There's not really a market for F-Zero anymore. Nintendo has Mario Kart, it doesn't really need a second first party racing game.
I gotta disagree. There's clearly a market for it if people are asking for it. Problem lies in figuring out if it's a vocal minority asking for it, or if there's genuinely demand for an F-Zero enough to make the risk worth it. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if F-Zero is shelved completely, at least for a while longer.

I'd rather see a new Star Fox. Remake Star Fox SNES, make it look beautiful as hell, add some planets/locations people are familiar with from Star Fox 64, make it fierce but engaging, increase the scale of it. Make players really feel like they're just one Arwing in the middle of all-out war, outnumbered, but surgically striking Andross forces and cutting through the thin line of defenses to reach high value targets and destroy them after a long, fierce battle. Make the characters endearing and interesting by showing them gradually worn down by the constant fighting, but still trying to seem positive about the outcome for the sake of team morale.

You know where to send my money, Nintendo. You're welcome.

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
We are one February away! I can believe that E3 is so soon, I can't believe that I have been a member for almost an entire year though.
LOL, I was just about to make a post like this.

While we are on the topic on RPGs, I think Paper Mario 5 is a better fit for it.
I mean, Intellegent Systems wanted to make a PM akin to TTYD on the 3DS but obviously it didn't turn out that way since Miyamoto wanted a more a linear approach to it.
IMO Paper Mario 5 is more likely and could even be revealed this E3.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
LOL, I was just about to make a post like this.

While we are on the topic on RPGs, I think Paper Mario 5 is a better fit for it.
I mean, Intellegent Systems wanted to make a PM akin to TTYD on the 3DS but obviously it didn't turn out that way since Miyamoto wanted a more a linear approach to it.
IMO Paper Mario 5 is more likely and could even be revealed this E3.
You're not daydreaming and this could support your opinion:

http://nintendoeverything.com/intel...-unannounced-wii-u-title-on-linkedin-profile/

This was on September 30 2012 which means that whatever the game is has a hight chance to be ready to be shown at E3 and this may means paper mario for WiiU. This is a personal theory but that would be a great time to announce him for ssb4 (he has chance and still has reasons to be in).

Btw, there's a BIG need for a paper mario game like TTYD because this game is a masterpiece.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I gotta disagree. There's clearly a market for it if people are asking for it. Problem lies in figuring out if it's a vocal minority asking for it, or if there's genuinely demand for an F-Zero enough to make the risk worth it. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if F-Zero is shelved completely, at least for a while longer.

I'd rather see a new Star Fox. Remake Star Fox SNES, make it look beautiful as hell, add some planets/locations people are familiar with from Star Fox 64, make it fierce but engaging, increase the scale of it. Make players really feel like they're just one Arwing in the middle of all-out war, outnumbered, but surgically striking Andross forces and cutting through the thin line of defenses to reach high value targets and destroy them after a long, fierce battle. Make the characters endearing and interesting by showing them gradually worn down by the constant fighting, but still trying to seem positive about the outcome for the sake of team morale.

Your discription brought a tear to my eye. Not really, but you understand the sentiment. I'd love for a SF game like that to be announced.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

People asking for it on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it will sell though. Talk is cheap. To my recollection the F-Zero series has never sold particularly well. And I think Mario Kart's success just about finished it off.

FTR I'd love an F-Zero on the Wii U.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Neither did Fire Emblem...

The thing is that old sales models are no longer that big a deal, while it's true the marios will have an audience that spans beyond the Nintendo Direct viewers, but thanks to Nintendo's realizing the power of marketting, and having some amazing platforms for it, people will be more aware of any title they put out, rather than just Mario... if that will shift copies or not is still a risk, but the new marketing strategies mean that previous sales figures are not a particularly effective measure of future success.

Morbi

Scavenger
People asking for it on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it will sell though. Talk is cheap. To my recollection the F-Zero series has never sold particularly well. And I think Mario Kart's success just about finished it off.

FTR I'd love an F-Zero on the Wii U.
This is true; but franchise fatigue is going to set into Mario and Zelda soon enough. I mean, they have to expand. If they actually did some interesting things with F-Zero and marketed it, it would be as profitable as they expect. Which isn't really that profitable, but most Nintendo IP that isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon have trouble breaking any records as it is. I mean, one million copies from all of the hype Smash can induce is a reasonable prediction that would make it "worth it."

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Neither did Fire Emblem...

The thing is that old sales models are no longer that big a deal, while it's true the marios will have an audience that spans beyond the Nintendo Direct viewers, but thanks to Nintendo's realizing the power of marketting, and having some amazing platforms for it, people will be more aware of any title they put out, rather than just Mario... if that will shift copies or not is still a risk, but the new marketing strategies mean that previous sales figures are not a particularly effective measure of future success.
Although fire emblem doesn't have any competition, nitnedo doesn't really have any other tactical RPGs

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
But they do have racers, one that even has antigravity and will be more popular than every f zero game combined
I'm still mad Falcon wasn't in there. He's first party, why not? We had ROB in MKDS...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That would be extremely wierd but I'd give anything to see falcon in the biddy bud
One of his jump taunts could've been the classic "Show me your moves" salute. Nintendo would've had my money...i mean, they will anyways, but y'know...

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
But they do have racers, one that even has antigravity and will be more popular than every f zero game combined
But they do have RPGs, so I'm making the same point you did. Tactical RPG is a specific sub-genre that Nintendo has only 2 series for (and Wars is as different as you can get in the genre), as is F-Zero. F-Zero appeals to different people, and will gain sales in places that Mario Kart probably would not.

Tropical Freeze was made despite New Super Mario Bros U selling a shed tonne more... or even more in line with your analogy DKCR was made despite New Super Mario Bros Wii being more popular than the entire DKC series up to that point.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Captain Falcon and Ness share a special connection with Smash Bros. Even if they never get any new games, they will live on in Smash Bros, they're just Smash Bros family! As for new games, F-Zero could still be around even with Mario Kart being a thing. I imagine it appeals to more "hardcore" players with its music, designs, no item usage, and such. They're very different and it wouldn't be so bad to see it come back from a business standpoint or otherwise.

As for the Shulk thing! It IS very interesting that his anniversary is June 10th! I imagined him as a secret character, but what I imagine more now is them showing a trailer for his new game "X" and then later we get a trailer in Smash Bros featuring the one and only! But I also expect to see Pac-Man, Miis (maybe) , and a fourth person like Palutena just to keep it an even number. Maybe just Shulk and Pac-Man?

As for Pac-Man... I saw a video of his new game just to get an idea of what he's like and gosh, he seems like... they make it so you kinda wanna accept him as a man, but he has a little kid voice?? I don't quite get it. Hope they go with this Pac-Man instead, though they probably wont since that doesnt make sense for marketing:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This is true; but franchise fatigue is going to set into Mario and Zelda soon enough. I mean, they have to expand. If they actually did some interesting things with F-Zero and marketed it, it would be as profitable as they expect. Which isn't really that profitable, but most Nintendo IP that isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon have trouble breaking any records as it is. I mean, one million copies from all of the hype Smash can induce is a reasonable prediction that would make it "worth it."
I'd add DK to that list. Consistently DK has sold well.

If they could justify an F-Zero, then bring it on. It's not at the top of my wants (I just want a new SF game!), but I'd GLADLY buy it.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I've been dying for a new F-Zero for a while. GX was so good.

One for the 3DS would be awesome. Given Falcon's recognition, I can see them releasing a reboot that's more Falcon-centric.

At least, I'm hoping for something like this at some point.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm gonna bet that Shulk and Pac-Man are revealed specifically while some veterans are just seen in gameplay/at the invitational.

Maybe a third newcomer later on similar to how WFT was announced. Probably Mii.

Zelda Wii U will HAVE to have realistic graphics as seen in the tech demo. If it is cartoony or remotely similar to Skyward Sword. People will flip. It will be a madhouse. Hopefully Nintendo's smart enough to recognize that.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I've been dying for a new F-Zero for a while. GX was so good.

One for the 3DS would be awesome. Given Falcon's recognition, I can see them releasing a reboot that's more Falcon-centric.

At least, I'm hoping for something like this at some point.
I think that might be the best way to reboot F-Zero. It could have either a side mode that is just racing like the old games or just work a bunch of races into a story mode that focuses more on the bounty hunter portion of his description. Either way, by taking the focus off just racing, it would bring something new to the series, but leave its core still intact.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Captain Falcon and Ness share a special connection with Smash Bros. Even if they never get any new games, they will live on in Smash Bros, they're just Smash Bros family! As for new games, F-Zero could still be around even with Mario Kart being a thing. I imagine it appeals to more "hardcore" players with its music, designs, no item usage, and such. They're very different and it wouldn't be so bad to see it come back from a business standpoint or otherwise.

As for the Shulk thing! It IS very interesting that his anniversary is June 10th! I imagined him as a secret character, but what I imagine more now is them showing a trailer for his new game "X" and then later we get a trailer in Smash Bros featuring the one and only! But I also expect to see Pac-Man, Miis (maybe) , and a fourth person like Palutena just to keep it an even number. Maybe just Shulk and Pac-Man?

As for Pac-Man... I saw a video of his new game just to get an idea of what he's like and gosh, he seems like... they make it so you kinda wanna accept him as a man, but he has a little kid voice?? I don't quite get it. Hope they go with this Pac-Man instead, though they probably wont since that doesnt make sense for marketing:
I actually hope his design is more in line with his modern model, but only if his voice isn't the same.

The voice is HORRENDOUS.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I actually hope his design is more in line with his modern model, but only if his voice isn't the same.

The voice is HORRENDOUS.
Yeah, I'd be fine if he just didn't talk like most others, but if he has to, his SFxT voice is alright I guess...?

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
characters i would think be announced ness(if not lucas) shulk palatauna and a zelda character

Morbi

Scavenger

Morbi

Scavenger
Pokken Fighters. The first 3D fighter not called Soul-caliber that I'll get.
I would say, "same here" but I played all of the Mortal Kombat games when they were on their weird obsession with 3D fighters. That being said, I definitely intend on getting ANY Pokemon fighting game. I mean, that would be like a dream come true.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I would say, "same here" but I played all of the Mortal Kombat games when they were on their weird obsession with 3D fighters. That being said, I definitely intend on getting ANY Pokemon fighting game. I mean, that would be like a dream come true.
The only Mortal Kombat game I've played is MK9.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
News on other things E3 related are starting to come forth. Microsoft has finally decided to ditch their evil camera. With enough luck Sony will follow suit and give an option to turn of the stupid light on the PS4 controller.

Top Bottom