• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

D

Deleted member 245254

ZeRo still has a better view of time than Nintendo. (ex: Summer 2014 = October 3rd)
Not sure what you're talking about, I will be picking the game up as soon as it releases on September 13th, which as far as I'm aware is Summer.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
The news has nothing to do with Nintendo, but affects the scene...

Project M is modding Smash 4. That's probably the announcement. Yawn, no interest.
This will legitimately turn me off from Project M entirely. This better not happen. Go ahead, report me.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Just read the recap.
On terms of Project M, in a nutshell..

Nintendo knows about it. They are even "intrigued" by it, but have no plans on getting involved in any shape or form. period.
They simply will not acknowledge it publicly, because if they did, they would have legal obligation and such to do something about it, which is what we DONT know.

This brings a tear to my eye- they are ignoring Project M for its own good, becaues they know it means alot to Smash fans <3.

Long as the PMBR keeps their nose out of trouble (which they are doing a great job with, even going as far as to purposely not include characters or things from Smash 4) , no trouble will come to them.

No, about that Zero update..

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
I have some thoughts on the hate towards Zero and Hungry Box - what with all of the excuses and baseless complaints people made about Zero's ZSS. I felt like I should share some of my thoughts, because this hatred is poison to our community as gamers.

Grand finals showed two tides sparring it out where both players, Zero and Hungry Box were going to win. Hungry Box tried to Chewy his way to victory (swallowing ZSS at the edge), and Zero spaced his moves and put a lot of thought and analysis into his game-play. I watched Zero go in on the Olimar in previous matches, on the left side of the area; I watched him handle the plane level like a saint, with precise movement through and through. Zero is not the coward of this tournament - the real cowards of this tournament was the Wii Fit trainer, and the sexually deprived teens that voted her in another match, when another player could have gone through. And every one that has no sense of dignity or integrity for a player that fought their way to victory just because of bias and hatred, when both players at the end had that victory fair and square.

P.S Learn how to consume your anger properly when your favorite character/player loses. Do not redirect it onto an innocent character or player. This is how games are ruined - period! Hatred is treated sacred.

gamer8

Smash Lord
I have some thoughts on the hate towards Zero and Hungry Box - what with all of the excuses and baseless complaints people made about Zero's ZSS. I felt like I should share some of my thoughts, because this hatred is poison to our community as gamers.

Grand finals showed two tides sparring it out where both players, Zero and Hungry Box were going to win. Hungry Box tried to Chewy his way to victory (swallowing ZSS at the edge), and Zero spaced his moves and put a lot of thought and analysis into his game-play. I watched Zero go in on the Olimar in previous matches, on the left side of the area; I watched him handle the plane level like a saint, with precise movement through and through. Zero is not the coward of this tournament - the real cowards of this tournament was the Wii Fit trainer, and the sexually deprived teens that voted her in another match, when another player could have gone through. And every one that has no sense of dignity or integrity for a player that fought their way to victory just because of bias and hatred, when both players at the end had that victory fair and square.

P.S Learn how to consume your anger properly when your favorite character/player loses. Do not redirect it onto an innocent character or player. This is how games are ruined - period! Hatred is treated sacred.
So true, Zero was fine the whole tournament. I agree 100% on that WFT, can you believe she was pulling the same crap when she was playing during the Nintendo Treehouse with Ken and a few others completely just for fun? I was shocked and appalled, like during a tournament I figured okay, she's a coward and has to resort to using those tactics to win, and it worked for her. But during the friggin' Treehouse segment for fun as well? That was the player everyone should have gotten salty towards, not Zero. I still don't completely get what the hate was all about. His appearance? The 4 Final Smashes in one match? The match with Hungrybox? Either way, none of it was justified.

D

Deleted member 245254

So true, Zero was fine the whole tournament. I agree 100% on that WFT, can you believe she was pulling the same crap when she was playing during the Nintendo Treehouse with Ken and a few others completely just for fun? I was shocked and appalled, like during a tournament I figured okay, she's a coward and has to resort to using those tactics to win, and it worked for her. But during the friggin' Treehouse segment for fun as well? That was the player everyone should have gotten salty towards, not Zero. I still don't completely get what the hate was all about. His appearance? The 4 Final Smashes in one match? The match with Hungrybox? Either way, none of it was justified.
Why is it so difficult to understand?

This tournament was completely for fun. What I mean by that, is there was no pot, no money on the line, no financial equity being bet. The whole point was simply to display Smash the way we all want to see it, heaps of brawler fun.

Nobody is hating on the play to win mentality, what were hating on is the fact that at least for the final 2 minutes of the grand final match in a tournament meant simply to be advertisement, Zero made an utter mockery of the game. It's literally his fault people now think of this game widely as Brawl 2.0 because he is infamous for doing the same dumb nonsense in Brawl.

It cheapens the win completely. How can you be so foolish to actually assert that a sudden death kill is as skill-defining as an actual 0% vs 0% stage knock off.

Zero cared so much about winning a silly competition with nothing on the line, cared SO much about making a name for himself out of this that he went to those lengths to take the trophy.

KDJ sandbagged IN TO the mega man final smash just for a crowd pleaser. Now THATS a man that deserves the trophy. Zero just toed the line for a cheap win because he wanted that piece of metal so badly, and as a result? Nobody will ever respect him for it. That's his fault and his fault only.

This post E3 stuff he's done has only salted people further. He has built up a considerable amount of hate for himself, and only has himself to blame.

For reference here's a common circumstance you very often see Zero in, both his reaction and his commitment to what is obviously a heinously pathetic way to play are basically trademarked by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMiKtp3-GE

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 245254

Glorious stuff.

More on Zero, look at this...

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/283yv0/thank_you_everyone_for_your_incredible_support_im/

This guy is acting like this invitational was a *really* a big deal, in terms of displaying his skill. Like it's embarrassing what this kid is doing, he is literally nothing against a great majority of the other players in that tournament but he is rolling with this win like it means something.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Glorious stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/283yv0/thank_you_everyone_for_your_incredible_support_im/

This guy is acting like this invitational was a *really* a big deal, in terms of displaying his skill. Like it's embarrassing what this kid is doing, he is literally nothing against a great majority of the other players in that tournament but he is rolling with this win like it means something.
In other words, the five minutes of fame went to his head. It happens...

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Glorious stuff.

So let me get this straight, the guy who's currently rank 1# in Brawl and 5# in Project M is nothing. Either you need to pull out a dictionary or you need to stop being salty.

I mean ****... He's even currently rank higher then Ken in Melee.

Edit: Also this win does hold a lot of meaning, from the sounds of things a lot of doors has open to him. He now has a chance to make smash his career.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
So let me get this straight, the guy who's currently rank 1# in Brawl and 5# in Project M is nothing. Either you need to pull out a dictionary or you need to stop being salty.

Edit: Also this win does hold a lot of meaning, from the sounds of things a lot of doors has open to him. He now has a chance to make smash his career.
I thought Otori was #1?

D

Deleted member 245254

Oh, you are damn right I'm salty. Any smash bros player out there with any dignity left would be in his display.

Ken is kinda inactive? Also...he's 44th. Not the greatest arguing point.

It means nothing competitively. What actually ended up happening as a result of his win is irrelevant, and assuming it actually was the spring board for him being able to make smash his career...that's even dumber. We are really judging the competitive proweress of a player off of this tournament?

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he just has a play style that makes me want to throw up my lunch, and even other Brawl players.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People, this is the E3 thread, not the "Slag Zero" thread. Make one if you want. (Mods will probably block it in seconds but regardless...)

Anyone got any confirmation on any more assist trophies?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
zipzo..i dont see why youre arguing competitively and saying all of this. he just won nintendos first ever smash tourny with thousands of people watching. it really IS a big deal. i dont think he gives a **** if "means nothing competitively". the whole tourny was a surreal experience for me, i cant imagine how it was for them and zero specifically. like the other guy said, hes saying people are interviewing him and its opened up doors. this kid is a homosexual 19 year old. hes a baby, and a little more in touch with his emotions, soaking it all in. thats all this is

no one is judging competitive prowess of this except you lol there were items and it was FFA

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

This tournament was completely for fun. What I mean by that, is there was no pot, no money on the line, no financial equity being bet. The whole point was simply to display Smash the way we all want to see it, heaps of brawler fun.

Nobody is hating on the play to win mentality, what were hating on is the fact that at least for the final 2 minutes of the grand final match in a tournament meant simply to be advertisement, Zero made an utter mockery of the game. It's literally his fault people now think of this game widely as Brawl 2.0 because he is infamous for doing the same dumb nonsense in Brawl.

It cheapens the win completely. How can you be so foolish to actually assert that a sudden death kill is as skill-defining as an actual 0% vs 0% stage knock off.

Zero cared so much about winning a silly competition with nothing on the line, cared SO much about making a name for himself out of this that he went to those lengths to take the trophy.

KDJ sandbagged IN TO the mega man final smash just for a crowd pleaser. Now THATS a man that deserves the trophy. Zero just toed the line for a cheap win because he wanted that piece of metal so badly, and as a result? Nobody will ever respect him for it. That's his fault and his fault only.

This post E3 stuff he's done has only salted people further. He has built up a considerable amount of hate for himself, and only has himself to blame.

For reference here's a common circumstance you very often see Zero in, both his reaction and his commitment to what is obviously a heinously pathetic way to play are basically trademarked by him.

Okay, look I understand a lot of people had issue with the way that the tournament played out but this is a pretty extreme statement in regards to what impact the whole thing will have going on here and that some of the things he's said haven't helped his case.

The idea though that he has somehow damaged Smash 4 because he played within the simplistic rule-set Nintendo used for the invitation is a little odd to me. The competitive community does talk about often that a tactic or ability is not really cheap unless the rules have established that it is not allowed. You can't talk about that and also say that in certain situations you should not abuse the rulesets in other ways.

D

Deleted member 245254

Okay, look I understand a lot of people had issue with the way that the tournament played out but this is a pretty extreme statement in regards to what impact the whole thing will have going on here and that some of the things he's said haven't helped his case.

The idea though that he has somehow damaged Smash 4 because he played within the simplistic rule-set Nintendo used for the invitation is a little odd to me. The competitive community does talk about often that a tactic or ability is not really cheap unless the rules have established that it is not allowed. You can't talk about that and also say that in certain situations you should not abuse the rulesets in other ways.
There are about a zillion examples of things even in real life that, while legal or technically OK to do, will either make people hate you, look down on you, or worse, prevent you from receiving good service or manners from others.

I really don't recommend pretending like you can't think of any.

Like I said, playing to win is not something I take issue with, but he won that tournament playing "gay". That'sit. I know I'm not alone in thinking this, that's really all there is to it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
There are about a zillion examples of things even in real life that, while legal or technically OK to do, will either make people hate you, look down on you, or worse.

I really don't recommend pretending like you can't think of any.

Like I said, playing to win is not something I take issue with, but he won that tournament playing "gay". That'sit. I know I'm not alone in thinking this, that's really all there is to it.
Of course there are thing sin real life that are morally ambiguous and legal that impact people in a significant way. Such as the way money works in US politics in a good example of that.

However, I cannot apply this kind of idea to a game no matter how much I may get into said game. The idea that what Zero did destroyed or damaged something is a silly idea. If people are really feeling like they have been damaged or hurt by what was done here then that you be a issue with your perspective on the matter and not what was actually done.

D

Deleted member 245254

Of course there are thing sin real life that are morally ambiguous and legal that impact people in a significant way. Such as the way money works in US politics in a good example of that.

However, I cannot apply this kind of idea to a game no matter how much I may get into said game. The idea that what Zero did destroyed or damaged something is a silly idea. If people are really feeling like they have been damaged or hurt by what was done here then that you be a issue with your perspective on the matter and not what was actually done.
Game or not, it's not different. Zero made thousands of viewers both in person and watching at home get the idea that this game is campy. The "Brawl 2.0" nonsense is almost entirely on the display in the finals.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Game or not, it's not different. Zero made thousands of viewers both in person and watching at home get the idea that this game is campy. The "Brawl 2.0" nonsense is almost entirely on the display in the finals.
I'm pretty sure that came out in regards to how the game played when a lot of people tried it more and having repetitive reports of the same issues in the demo and less to do with how the finals of the tournament came out. People would have started to spout that regardless of how the finals would have turned out as people were saying that from the game play videos and summaries even before the invitational began.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'm pretty sure that came out in regards to how the game played when a lot of people tried it more and having repetitive reports of the same issues in the demo and less to do with how the finals of the tournament came out. People would have started to spout that regardless of how the finals would have turned out as people were saying that from the game play videos and summaries even before the invitational began.
I think you'd be surprised how influential "pro" players can be in influencing people's opinions.

Despite the best buy event and e3, it's probably fairly accurate to say that a VERY large portion of the overall smash community had yet to get their hands on the game for a match, so all they have is what they read and more influentially, what they see.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...You know if you look at the larger picture it doesn't really matter how finals were. People made comments to Nintendo, they wrote it down, they might or might not use our suggests and when the game does finally comes out we will know for sure how it's going to be.

Really if anything the only thing a somewhat campy style in finals has effected is on release sales, sales that hold little weight to the competitive scene.

Last edited:

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
Double Post Warning Received

What are you talking about? There's a reason why Hungry Box and Zero made it to the grand finals - they were wanting to win, and they fought for that win equally as much. Everything you want to put down Zero for, can be equally distributed to Hungry Box; but you won't do that, because that's not how hatred works. You pick a target that is opposite of your favorite player, or your "rules of how to play a smash game during X circumstance", then you feed off of that because you do not know how to transfer your negative energy in a reasonable and less consequential manner. Learn how to treat human beings and stop being a hypocrite. You're ignoring that Hungry Box was doing the same thing in his own way with Kirby, from taunting on the right side of smash field, always going for the smash ball with the same determination as Zero, to trying to Chewy his way to victory by sucking ZSS off of the edge twice during the grand finals - don't tell me that Hungry Box is all innocent, when you're completely wrong. Again, Zero showed what he could do by mastering levels he had never played before. Having all of that movement speed does not guarantee that you will have been able to move that fast and precise - that was all Zero. Get over it. Zero is a great player who adapted beyond every player who played that night. Hungry Box, PP, PPU, they were all great players, but they failed to master the levels, like Zero did. They just learned their character and other characters quickly, and that's why Zero won, he adapted to something else entirely that others didn't.

Everything you hate about Zero is null in Sudden Death, where anybody has a chance to win. Zero beat Hungry Box fair and square. Just take a look at the tier list; Kirby is above ZSS, so refrain from spewing misinformation to fuel your hatred. Take your hatred, put it in a box, and set it ablaze with its same flames.

You're an idiot. Zero did not camp at all. Zero went in on the olimar during the arena stage. Zero went on top of the plane during the plane stage. Zero was already in the fray of battle during the first time he played with the 4 smashes; he didn't just hide and wait for the ball appear, he already scored kills prior to the smash ball. Zero did not stall against Hungry Box until near the end, when Hungry Box would have done the same thing if he had the chance. He already tried to swallow Zero like Chewy, so you can stop spreading your hatred and just admit that your feelings were bent out of shape and you're not manly enough to deal with your emotions so you take those emotions and create psychical bombs out of them to throw at others that made you feel the emotions you never were prepared to feel.

P.S Zero did not camp during the sudden death, when anybody with any slight of fear of weakness in their dignity as a player would. Therefore Zero was a great player. And as others have said before, get your rankings right; Zero is among the best players in the world.

P.S Hatred is like money; it speaks, but it has nothing to say...

Oh, and the fact that you hate Zero based on misinformation and your blinded sight, because "he ruined smash community", while you are spreading hatred throughout the roots of our community and you don't think that is going to ruin this community? Do you really want to be an enemy?

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
You're an idiot. Zero did not camp at all. Zero went in on the olimar during the arena stage. Zero went on top of the plane during the plane stage. Zero was already in the fray of battle during the first time he played with the 4 smashes; he didn't just hide and wait for the ball appear, he already scored kills prior to the smash ball. Zero did not stall against Hungry Box until near the end, when Hungry Box would have done the same thing if he had the chance. He already tried to swallow Zero like Chewy, so you can stop spreading your hatred and just admit that your feelings were bent out of shape and you're not manly enough to deal with your emotions so you take those emotions and create psychical bombs out of them to throw at others that made you feel the emotions you never were prepared to feel.

P.S Zero did not camp during the sudden death, when anybody with any slight of fear of weakness in their dignity as a player would. Therefore Zero was a great player. And as others have said before, get your rankings right; Zero is among the best players in the world.
DOUBLE POSTER!!!! Also, don't harass other users bro. This is an E3 Speculation thread. Speaking of which... this should be locked...

Last edited:

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't put any stock in a tier list formed by one event. Even if it was made by the best player in the world.

I agree on the other points though. Zero did what he did to win it, regardless of anything it was still a tournament and he was well within the rules of the tournament when he defeated Hungrybox. I applaud him for it and I think a lot of people are super salty about how he won for no reason; his strategy was valid and just because it wasn't a crowd-pleaser doesn't mean he's a bad player.

I was, however, rooting for Hungrybox to win it. He just had the misfortune of being stuck in what seemed like a bad matchup for his character. Even then, who knows what would have happened if the rules had been different, or if the match was 3 stock instead of 4?

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
DOUBLE POSTER!!!! Also, don't harass other users bro. This is an E3 Speculation thread. Speaking of which... this should be locked...
Wait, this guy can hate on Zero and make him feel like the scum of the world, but I can't call them an idiot in response to how I feel about their way of thinking while emotionally aware of what it may cause Zero to feel, in spite of Zero being completely innocent and them being a hateful worm who can not appreciate a foreign winner that isn't foreign and is actually among the greatest players in the world?

Do I have to be politically correct about it? How about, instead of "idiot" - "Community-based malnutrition"?

As for the double posting; sorry about that. I frequent other boards, and they automatically set my posts in my most recent post, to avoid DP's. I have to get used to this.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, this year's E3 was pretty enjoyable (mostly from Nintendo's perspective.)

Just got to wait and see how this year runs and hopefully it will be a good one for Smash Bros.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Wait, this guy can hate on Zero and make him feel like the scum of the world, but I can't call them an idiot in response to how I feel about their way of thinking while emotionally aware of what it may cause Zero to feel, in spite of Zero being completely innocent and them being a hateful worm who can not appreciate a foreign winner that isn't foreign and is actually among the greatest players in the world?

Do I have to be politically correct about it? How about, instead of "idiot" - "Community-based malnutrition"?

As for the double posting; sorry about that. I frequent other boards, and they automatically set my posts in my most recent post, to avoid DP's. I have to get used to this.
Calm down. Jeez. You're overreacting. There's things called opinions. Ever heard of them? We all have them. There's no need to rustle your jimmies over the fact that he has an opinion. Mmkay? K, cool :) Now, going back on the subject... why in the world is this still open for replies?

HappyHouseSpider

Smash Apprentice
Calm down. Jeez. You're overreacting. There's things called opinions. Ever heard of them? We all have them. There's no need to rustle your jimmies over the fact that he has an opinion. Mmkay? K, cool :) Now, going back on the subject... why in the world is this still open for replies?
There's a difference between having a harmless opinion, and having hatred.

Opinion: "Oh, your views are different from mine. That's fine, let's agree to disagree."

Hatred: "Your life is worthless now because I disagree with you on one thing you did and have no regards to the rest of your well-being because I am a hateful pod. It doesn't matter if you love it, or were born with it; if I don't like it, you can go to hell."

In his case, he didn't have to talk about "Zero ruined the community because I think this", or have to go as low to say that "everyone" hates him for it. That's hatred - that's not an opinion. You really should learn the differences, because the difference of a opinion and hatred is what makes this world the hell it is right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom