• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Project M has reached publicity in places like IGN and other gaming websites though. It's big enough that it can detract from Smash 4, in my opinion.
I'm European and I can't play Project M. I assure you the popularity is known for the most part only in the USA.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I can see PM getting pulled. Its considered "criminal activity" on miiverse.
Oh boy if that happens I think the Smash community will yell louder than Nintendo saying they can't stream/play Smash at EVO. I think Nintendo isn't that dumb ti think they can pull the plug on something this huge.

D

Deleted member

Oh boy if that happens I think the Smash community will yell louder than Nintendo saying they can't stream/play Smash at EVO. I think Nintendo isn't that dumb ti think they can pull the plug on something this huge.
You never really know, Nintendo tends to be very sensitive when it comes to their property. I doubt they'll slam them with a cease & desist, but who knows at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So, first Zero implies his announcement will be worth the wait, and now there's talk about Project M being shut down? This thread sure has gone places. Though really, I hope whatever Zero's teasing really is worth the wait.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Guys please, PM has nothing illegal or it would have been shut down ages ago. The only circumstance it would be illegal is if was being sold. It is still of Nintendo's right to ask for its development activities to be halted, but not for being illegal, but for using their IPs and they having power over them.

It's also illegal if you are playing it with a Brawl iso while not owning a copy of the game, but just for you since you are pirating the game. In that case even your brawl is illegal.

Also you might be overestimating the reach of this community to believe that PM might represent any kind of threat to Smash 4's publicity. It is a popular mod, but only in a very specific demographic and it's all it aims to be, the total public of Smash Bros. is much bigger.
So what you are saying is..

Next Project M character is being announced tomorrow?
ah HAH! now you HAVE to tell us about the next update tomorrow! >:D or else!...um.. idk.. you will be forced to have a pillow fight with a bunch of stinky dwarves every night for the rest of your life!

Staarih

Smash Master
Wait, Zero still hasn't announced whatever he was supposed to? I managed to have good nights sleep during the wait haha!

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I don't know what's going on... Are we sure Zero's tease really has something to do with Smash 4 or is it for something else?

D

Deleted member 245254

My head is kinda think in' that it's a good and bad news type thing...in conjunction with Prog's words, Peachy's words, and this super amazing secret announcement that will "change the meta game".

So let's imagine that Nintendo shuts down Project M. Sucks and all. Yeah it'd be lame but...I'm getting the feeling all the invitational invitees are in on this, but Zero took the opportunity to give himself more (bad) publicity.

In turn, Nintendo is actually hiring them (both the project m team members and the high profile invitees) on part-time or commission-based pay to play test, balance, and work with the developers on all the nitty gritty either before release, or periodically after release in the form of balance patches.

It would surely be a shame to see Project M shut down but can you imagine how much good that would do for Smash 4? We wouldn't even need Project M anymore, as long as those players give the input we'd trust them to give.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
When she refers to PM being shutdown, I thought it was the Wii's online serve being shutdown, not andthing to do with Copyright laws.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Well, this girl has the right express her opinion. I just don't give her any credit because she's nothing more than an average player, and she probably doesn't like the game because she's really bad at it. I laughed so hard when I saw the presentation of the players on Smash Bros. facebook's page and she was the only one without any "notable smash accomplishment". She really shouldn't have been invited.

Regarding PM, Nintendo said a while back they were okay with it as long as the mod did not include any of the new characters and other conditions. I'm not sure why they would come back on that. I mean, each PM player is a die hard fan of the series and will more than probably play the next game no matter what. Maybe they won't play it competitively, but as long as they buy the game, it should be fine for Nintendo, right?

D

Deleted member

Well, this girl has the right express her opinion. I just don't give her any credit because she's nothing more than an average player, and she probably doesn't like the game because she's really bad at it. I laughed so hard when I saw the presentation of the players on Smash Bros. facebook's page and she was the only one without any "notable smash accomplishment". She really shouldn't have been invited.

Regarding PM, Nintendo said a while back they were okay with it as long as the mod did not include any of the new characters and other conditions. I'm not sure why they would come back on that. I mean, each PM player is a die hard fan of the series and will more than probably play the next game no matter what. Maybe they won't play it competitively, but as long as they buy the game, it should be fine for Nintendo, right?
Like I stated before, Nintendo tends to be incredibly touchy when it comes to their own property, and Project M is already both a sensitive subject AND in a pretty big grey area in terms of Nintendo's policies. I doubt that anything bad will come of it, but anything can happen.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Um, guys? Sakurai said just a few days ago that the balancing team is finalized. None of these guys are getting hired.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wish she'd clarify what she found wrong with it.

I've heard complaints but n0-one explains their complaints. Can anyone give me a reason why the game wouldn't be that good besides from not being Melee?

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Thread is still alive?
Let's count:

-Zero hyped something directed to Smash in general, Smash4 and Metagame
-Peachy complains that PM might be shutdown soon
-Prog can't speak about PM atm

Thinking back, wasn't there the job application from Namco for Smash6? What if we get something like a Tournee Version of Smashbros for WiiU with all those advanced Techs, Movementoptions and mb 1 to 2 new characters, kinda like the Super Luigi U DLC game.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet

I've heard complaints but n0-one explains their complaints. Can anyone give me a reason why the game wouldn't be that good besides from not being Melee?
That's the main concern I hear. I was also worried by the lack of dash dancing (that I liked doing in brawl too) and the seemingly lack of follow-ups after throws compared to even Brawl. But I'm pretty sure we'll discover techs to make up for it.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
"Also, guys, when I say that 'It'll change the metagame', I simply mean that it will create a cool effect in the scene. Don't try to guess it! It's about the scene as a whole and also involves me :)."

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Guys please, PM has nothing illegal or it would have been shut down ages ago. The only circumstance it would be illegal is if was being sold. It is still of Nintendo's right to ask for its development activities to be halted, but not for being illegal, but for using their IPs and they having power over them.

It's also illegal if you are playing it with a Brawl iso while not owning a copy of the game, but just for you since you are pirating the game. In that case even your brawl is illegal.

Also you might be overestimating the reach of this community to believe that PM might represent any kind of threat to Smash 4's publicity. It is a popular mod, but only in a very specific demographic and it's all it aims to be, the total public of Smash Bros. is much bigger.
Nintendo can most definitely shut down Project M if they wished too. When you buy a game you buy a license to play that game, not to modify it.... you don't actually own the code that is Brawl. The reason it hasn't been shut down is that, contrary to popular belief, Nintendo is actually very lax and almost silently supportive when it comes to fan games and mods.

Game hacks have been shut down before, though, Square-Enix is pretty notorious about it actually.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Some clear gameplay footage clips without background noise posted yesterday by GameSpot, for anyone who isn't aware:

Love the SSB64 character selection music at the beginning of SSB4's select screen and results theme.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853

People will find anything to complain about, but curiously, can't seem to describe what they're complaining about. It's like going to the doctor's office and complaining about pain but not describing the pain and where it's coming from. It's useful to know they're in pain, but besides that, no more information than that doesn't help anyone.

D

Deleted member 245254

"Also, guys, when I say that 'It'll change the metagame', I simply mean that it will create a cool effect in the scene. Don't try to guess it! It's about the scene as a whole and also involves me :)."
Is that not the most gratingly obnoxious stuff you've ever read?

Don't try to guess it?

He thinks "it will change the meta game" could somehow be interpreted as just changing the "scene"?

The meta-game =| the "scene".

This kid is just 10 levels of annoying. The fact he wears those ridiculous scarves and speaks in every negative direction for the physical aesthetic of pro gamers just makes it worse. I know this is unnecessary in a sense but that whole thing with this "hype announcement" just really rubs me the wrong way, I pretty much just see Zero as a massive tool now, his little cat and mouse show at the invitational finals didn't help his case.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Some clear gameplay footage clips without background noise posted yesterday by GameSpot, for anyone who isn't aware:

Love the SSB64 character selection music at the beginning of SSB4's select screen and results theme.
Dat voice acting... now THAT was worth waking up for. Thanks for posting it!

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So, did Zero let everyone down? :troll:
Also, I couldn't care less about Project M, so I'll be back later.
I think someone said he claimed that the "hype" or "surprise" or whatever would be later today.
Don't get your hopes up, though.

Dat voice acting... now THAT was worth waking up for. Thanks for posting it!
Greninja: "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS."

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Maybe the tournament is going on tour like Reggie suggested at the end of it... That doesn't tie in PM but it fits the rest of what's been said. And when he said this isn't related to Nintendo, maybe he was just talking about his AMA...

Top Bottom