• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

StrikerMika

Smash Rookie
As well as appearing in Palutena's trailer, Dark Pit shows up in her artwork as well. All the other newcomers' artwork has only featured playable characters. Whether he's a independent character or not, he's got a bigger role than a regular trophy imo.
I'm guessing Dark Pit will be a costume, but i would love it if he became a character.

saltybeach

Smash Journeyman
My bet on the Dark Pit thing:

He has a somewhat major role in story mode(whether it be something like Emissary or not).

Main/semi-main villain maybe?

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Made my IS, steampunk themed with Lovecraftian aliens. Gameplay is a mix of turn-based and action (third person shooter); four characters per team; not a huge amount of grinding. One of the main characters has a special attack that is 'super American themed' and uses a steampunk eagle.

Edit: Takes place in London with the backstory being that Abraham Lincoln put together a taskforce for alien fighting.
You're trying to get me more hyped by that run down, aren't you? I'm a little confused on the time-line of the game, but I'm sooo looking forward to figuring it out.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
So Dark Pit, wouldn't he be a Smash Bros original character? I mean he started as an alternate skin then became Pittoo... :facepalm:
Plus Wire Mac wasn't playable.
Toon Link doesn't utilize LOZ's other weapons..
Custom moves for Pit could cover the other weapons..
Yes, Dark Pit's appearance in the image and trailer are odd but nothing supports him being a separate character from Pit..
Nothing I've seen presented anyway..
Dark Link wasn't playable in Melee yet he appeared in Event Matches. Maybe Dark Pit is just an Event Match?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Pit was a costume choice for Pit with a slightly different looking model and a different voice sampling.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I just realized something.

The fact that Nintendo is making a game about Lincoln fighting aliens shows that they finally figured out the West

This was a good day.

domokl

Smash Lord
There does seem to be a part 2 to the palutena trailer though. It just cut off with no real ending.

Last edited:

Tottenham

Smash Cadet
I have to say that I'm not really impressed about it. But since Intelligent Systems is doing it, I'll give it a shot before saying anything else.

EDIT: No permadeath... Oh well..

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think if he were just an alternate for Pit. He would not be separate from Pit on her artwork.

Morbi

Scavenger
They are thinking about using Amiibo... but what other game could it possibly integrate with... if not for... Smash? Henry for Smash!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Codename Steam"

"Takes place in London"

"Steampunky"

"Dude on Steampowered motorcycle"

"Goofy old timey voiceover explaining a steam bridge over the River Thames"

"Main character seems to be a super steam powered captain of sorts"

"Comic Book Style"

"So steampunk it's ridiculous"

"You're a steampunk guy fighting aliens"

"Hitoshi Yamagami, worked on Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Style Savvy and Xenoblade"

"Action game. Code Name: STEAM is the official title"

"Turn Based Strategy game with action game elements, developed by Intelligent Systems"

"Two folks from IS: Paul Patrashcu (director) and Takako Sakai (art director)"

"Action elements are taken from third person shooters"

"Lincoln created a department to fight against aliens"

"Art style is from American comic books"

"Three save files on it"

"Third person perspective, you move during turns"

"Uses the stylus on bottom screen"

"Cites abstraction in strategy games - e.g you enter a battle screen in Fire Emblem"

"Game seems a bit like Valkyre Chronicles presentation wise"

"Use touch screen to aim guns"

"Tried using a map on touch screen but decided against it. Wanted immersion with a third person POV"

"This demo has two playable characters, you can have a team of four in total"

"Use different character's POV to get a full view of the map"

"Movement is limited by a meter represented by steam"

"Steampunk was introduces to help the player visually in a stylistic manner. A red pipe guides the player through the level on display"

"You can use steam pipes on the map to guide you to the objective."

"Screens on the map give hints"

"Coins are scattered about the level...shops to upgrade and buy equipment, maybe?"

"The developers think third person shooting and traditional strategy games require similar planning to solve problems."

"All about using different viewpoints to solve problems, similar but different to FE/AW"

"Time units quantify how much and speed of unit's actions"

"Time units are essentially fuel: hence, steam"

"Action Points (movement and attack) are represented by steam units"

"Steampunk started as a setting, later became more integral to gameplay"

"Steam consumed by attacks, a trade off is involved between movement and attacking"

"If you are spotted while exploring, your move (steam consumed) is locked in"

"They started with an undo button but it got cumbersome, so the lock-in of steam consumed was introduced to allow for flexibility while exploring"

"Character powers should be obvious based on appearance, less emphasis on grinding and stats"

"Can't grind for powerful enemies, you must have a balanced team"

"Inspiration from Silver Age comics. Jack Kirby and Mike Mignola were inspirations"

"Likes the raw power and refinement of Jack Kirby and similar artists"

"Main character is called Henry"

"Main weapons have animal motifs, sub weapons are aesthetically more subtle"

"Maps have verticality. On a high point, a character can have a tactical advantage"

"Playable characters include Henry (white male), black male with a bucket hat/helmet, a lion, and a white female"

"The aliens are inspired by HP Lovecraft"

"The aliens have an ice theme"

"Aliens can use weapons and machines, just like the heroes"

"Female is called The Fox, other male is John"

"Overwatch attacks do major damage, can be stacked"

"Overwatch attacks are the action element - can be used during the enemy's turn, and can potentially stun them"

"Eagle Strike move is absurdly American themed"

"Save game at save points within the level. Can also spend medals to recover health and steam, but they are used for items and weapons too"

"Lion character is female, pounces forward on enemies"

"Can't buy medals on the eShop (no micro-transactions)"

"London is the starting point of the game because it was the world's greatest empire at the time and thus the alien's first target"

"You do go the US, steampunk them fit London so you start there"

"One demo level looked like Boston"

"Shooter style gameplay is very approachable with constant player feedback"

"AW composer is doing music, uses both 19th century strings and rock music. Music is dynamic to reflect enemy awareness"

"No permadeath, since the game relies on team work"

"Both local and online multiplayer are planned, details pending"

"Not talking about cast size yet"

"Amiibo intergration is being considered, not definite though"

"This game is not the reason why we have not seen a new AW in some time. They are constantly thinking about the new iterations of those franchises. More info is teased, they'll say more when ready"

"This is not effecting SMTxFE either, that game is on schedule"

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...i'm not gonna i really don't like the idea dark pit as a stand alone character, while he does..i guess, have potential to be unique character in the end appearance wise he's literally just pit with a black and silver color scheme, not very interesting.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I missed today's stuff. I've read about it, some interesting stuff in there.

However is there something planned for Smash tomorrow or are we still in the dark? I can't seem to find that information.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I missed today's stuff. I've read about it, some interesting stuff in there.

However is there something planned for Smash tomorrow or are we still in the dark? I can't seem to find that information.
Just wondering did you see yesterdays stuff?

Most specficily the 3 newcomers from yesterday.

juddy96

Smash Lord
As well as appearing in Palutena's trailer, Dark Pit shows up in her artwork as well. All the other newcomers' artwork has only featured playable characters. Whether he's a independent character or not, he's got a bigger role than a regular trophy imo.
OBJECTION! Isabelle was in Villager's artwork.

Top Bottom