• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
ALL OF THIS PLEASE, GOOD LORD MY LIFE WOULD BE COMPLETE
Doesn't seem too far-fetched - all three warrant inclusion either down to fanbase or their own franchise's respective achievements. Looking at how many fake leaks they all appear in, I'd probably argue all three fit both categories. However, I'd probably say Nintendo could easily play it safe and announce two of these alongside a popular veteran.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Doesn't seem too far-fetched - all three warrant inclusion either down to fanbase or their own franchise's respective achievements. Looking at how many fake leaks they all appear in, I'd probably argue all three fit both categories. However, I'd probably say Nintendo could easily play it safe and announce two of these alongside a popular veteran.
I expect Ridley and Mewtwo honestly. As much as i'd love to see Shulk, i don't think he's suited for E3. The probable April Direct? Sure. But I think for E3 we'll see someone people recognize more. Think about it- New Leaf was selling like hotcakes, same with Wii Fit when it came out. And Megaman's, well, Megaman. Ridley is popular, and if they debut his trailer after a Metroid U to plug it...*cough*. Mewtwo needs no introduction, everyone knows him. Now, i couldn't tell you the third person i'd expect. I'd want Shulk, but i don't expect him.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I expect Ridley and Mewtwo honestly. As much as i'd love to see Shulk, i don't think he's suited for E3. The probable April Direct? Sure. But I think for E3 we'll see someone people recognize more. Think about it- New Leaf was selling like hotcakes, same with Wii Fit when it came out. And Megaman's, well, Megaman. Ridley is popular, and if they debut his trailer after a Metroid U to plug it...*cough*. Mewtwo needs no introduction, everyone knows him. Now, i couldn't tell you the third person i'd expect. I'd want Shulk, but i don't expect him.
I can agree with that. Though I think Shulk's chances are pretty good, he's by no means a lock and probably not well suited to E3. However, after the distribution catastrophe and the reception the game got I could still see him getting in - if anything, as good promotion for Monolith Soft's X. As far as Ridley and Mewtwo go, I'd say their chances are considerably higher, and if they're in pretty much certainties for E3. If there are to be three announcements I'd probably say we'll get a veteran alongside those two.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Just because others share the same delusion, it doesn't make it true. Why would Nintendo buy a company they have tied to them for three games anyway? Sonic has been sub par at best for the past decade, it's hardly raking the money in any more. It makes no business sense when there are studios cranking out high quality games that would be much more appealing to a company such as Nintendo. Sonic outstayed it's welcome, and it's pretty lucky to still be around in my opinion.

Off topic, anyway. Any more E3 opinions/predictions?
Well, Nintendo would probably know it's safe to buy out SEGA sometime after E3 this year, so we may not see any Sonic newcomers unless Sakurai randomly decides to play along with the Year of Sonic. But since everybody saw through my clever attempt of humor concerning Prowl, I think Palutena, Ridley, Shulk, and Krystal will be revealed at E3, but the Newcomers revealed would be Ness, Ganondorf, Capt Falcon, Snake, Mewtwo, and Mr Game and Watch

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Around 50 Pictures to go until E3. And 72 days.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A lot more than that, it just depends on how many characters they reveal between now and E3
And on how many multiple ones Sakurai does as well. What I meant was days that we have pictures on.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'm expecting the first portion to be revealing the rest of the original 12 (except maybe Jigglypuff), Ganondorf, Falco or Wolf, and the Ice Climbers. And halfway through, Ridley makes his BIG (:troll:) debut. Second part would bring back Mewtwo. And, in a similar fashion to WFT, at the end of E3, Snake returns.
Thoughts?

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting a release date and possibly a demo either there or in stores afterwards, and maybe a few characters. I could see a few surprise veterans like Lucas, Ike, and Wario, and then an additional third party (Namco's if they're getting one, otherwise Snake if he's actually returning) and a highly requested newcomer like Mewtwo or Ridley.

D

Deleted member

I'm doubtful on a demo in stores (E3 seems more reasonable though) and a release date seems more reasonable towards 2015.
I can see this game get released in 2015... I'm hoping that won't happen...

I wish that Nintendo would release their E3 demos on the eShop. I don't have the luxury of going to E3 and I don't have the time to go to a Best Buy. They should just put those demos up for a week or two and then take them down.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I could see it, but I sure as hell don't want it to happen. Not with Wii U on the ropes and no plans until the Holidays. Anything later than September is a death sentence for the Wii U.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I could see it, but I sure as hell don't want it to happen. Not with Wii U on the ropes and no plans until the Holidays. Anything later than September is a death sentence for the Wii U.
Well, there is the slight possibility MK8 could at least extend the WiiU lifespan long enough for Smash 4 to be released in 2015. I highly doubt it though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They promised a 2014 release and frankly they need it.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'm a Sonic fan. I really hate the idea of a second character rep. Item - yes, Assist Trophy - Yes.
Other character? No.

Even if Nintendo bought it, Sonic is sonic. He defines his series, and the other characters are merely similar entities (minus Eggman). Tails merely has a Tail, that's as unique as he gets. Knuckles has ... knuckles. Shadow is just an evil sonic, his negative, sadly (SA2 is my favorite game though ^ ^)

It's like this, would they add another Pikmin rep? What would the others have that Oli doesn't? Although there's no formula, it kinda helps make my point.

Sakurai is strict on third party characters anyways. Giving a franchise two when most Nintendo ones (Samus, Falcon, Olimar) is unwarranted. It's Nintendo All-Stars. Sonic and friends are not All-Stars. Sega can make a Sonic fighting game for that in my opinon and have Mario around as a Nintendo Rep. And the Olympic Games series satisfies the Sonic characters, even down to Vector lol.

I don't see a plausible reason for another Sonic character either! What would they bring to the table? Sonic would not sell better because of it, and giving us Tails when there are more excitable choices such as Pacman seems illogical. I'd love to have a Sonic fighting game, but Sonics all thats needed in smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Expect a really rushed Smash then. VERY best it's September which is 6 months away. That's not far away, and I don't think development is that far.
How so?

We don't have any real clue how far development is one way or the other. The games visuals seem more or less complete and it's likely in the balance/debug stage.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Hypothetically speaking, if Nintendo were to obtain SEGA as an acquisition (thereby SEGA becoming a first-party entity under Nintendo's ownership), then a second Sonic character in a Super Smash Brothers game would be acceptably reasonable; in fact, even a highly-likely occurrence, given how vastly popular the series is.

However, until such a day arrives, there will never be a second
Sonic character, let alone a second third-party character in general, in a Super Smash Brothers game. Sonic is as great as it gets.

All this talk about SEGA incites melancholic sadness within me, given how they were once titanic giants of the video-game industry, now fallen into a lower (but still quite respectable) position of power.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Expect a really rushed Smash then. VERY best it's September which is 6 months away. That's not far away, and I don't think development is that far.
Rushed? why does people keep sugested it's rushed, it would not be rushed if it came out TODAY. The game been in development longer then brawl, does not have a SSE like brawl, Namco had a working prototype before sakurai even started, the coding in brawl helped design vets. Also if there at the point in adding trophys they got to be pretty far in development.

Just because it got delayed last time does not mean this game will

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
And before you cite "3DS VERSION" please keep in mind that it uses the same engine, likely ports a few stages, and has a large enough team working on it so the console version doesn't lose time. You must be crazy if you think one team is working on both versions--just like Western devs have different teams for console and handheld versions.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
All this 'Wii U IS DOOMED' talk angers me...Nintendo's swimming on a pile of money...

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
>implying Wii U is doomed = Nintendo is doomed
Come on man, you're better than this. Nintendo DOES have money, but they're going to be worse than underdogs if Wii U passes out. Need I remind you that frayed brand trust was what killed Sega in the hardware market, not PS2's specter? 3DS makes loads of bank and had an awesome 2013, but if Wii U can't keep up Nintendo has to fight that much harder to stay in the dedicated game space.

Nintendo needs concrete plans on E3 for Wii U. If they have nothing between E3 and October, Wii U is done. The machismo laden promises of PS4 and X1 will shove them straight out the console market, due to the lack of faith in Nintendo's consoles.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Come on man, you're better than this. Nintendo DOES have money, but they're going to be worse than underdogs if Wii U passes out. Need I remind you that frayed brand trust was what killed Sega in the hardware market, not PS2's specter? 3DS makes loads of bank and had an awesome 2013, but if Wii U can't keep up Nintendo has to fight that much harder to stay in the dedicated game space.

Nintendo needs concrete plans on E3 for Wii U. If they have nothing between E3 and October, Wii U is done. The machismo laden promises of PS4 and X1 will shove them straight out the console market, due to the lack of faith in Nintendo's consoles.
Meh. I really don't see it this way at all. The Gamecube got SLAUGHTERED on the market, with little third party support and developers switching sides throughout its lifespan. It sold 21m total over its span, versus the PS2's 155m. Even the Xbox, as a first entry into the games market, sold 24m. Nintendo were lackluster throughout its lifespan and got slammed for it. And yet they returned the following generation with the Wii and sold 100m, beating Sony by 20m and Microsoft by 20m. It seems this generation the Wii U has fallen very much into the same slot as the Gamecube, in my opinion down to shoddy marketing and titling, and poor support for 3rd party developers in early development. The early Wii U dev kits sucked, and weren't representative of how easy or difficult the Wii U was to create for, and they seem to have lost a lot of support down to that mistake. Nintendo really need to work a lot harder on pleasing their third parties from here on out, as you say, and need some big announcements at E3. However, I disagree about counting Nintendo out, or writing themselves out of the industry. This isn't the first time this has happened, and they survived and flourished last time. Wii U sales are on the increase, and hopefully they stay that way. Either way, I'm quietly confident they're far from out of the race. Hopefully we see the same upswing they got from the Wii in 2017/18, when they release their next console.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team

That is my opnion too, if they drop the Wii U (what I don´t think that gonna happen) this E3 by showing nothing they will kill brand trust and that is the most dangerous thing.

Wii U is my fav console gen right now (Just my opnion). Don´t care about Infamous or Tintanfall, but the new Killer Instinct is awesome, I love fighting games.

But I think too that they can "survive" this hard times.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can see this game get released in 2015... I'm hoping that won't happen...
I seriously doubt it at this point. The fact that the number of new content showed in March's PoDs jumped up a whopping 40% from January and February's makes me strongly believe that this game is very, very close to going gold within a month or two and will probably go platinum by August. I will be genuinely surprised if we don't get an official release date at E3.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
That is my opnion too, if they drop the Wii U (what I don´t think that gonna happen) this E3 by showing nothing they will kill brand trust and that is the most dangerous thing.

Wii U is my fav console gen right now (Just my opnion). Don´t care about Infamous or Tintanfall, but the new Killer Instinct is awesome, I love fighting games.
Yeah, I chose this over a PS4, the only other console I considered. There's no chance Nintendo would drop the console, it makes no business sense - If they were to abandon the console they effectively alienate their invested fanbase and soon sales of the next console. Nintendo have proven with the GameCube that they're too savvy to take that risk. I expect an increased momentum of releases and perhaps a few studio buyouts to provide further development, as we've seen in the past. This'll be a typical six year generation as Nintendo have done in the past, and I expect a new console for 2018 - I can't see them extending a console selling like the GameCube any longer than that. I have no doubt however that the console will see continued support and a much greater momentum placed on game releases post-E3.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

The Wii U's sales are steadily rising right now, and we still haven't got Mario Kart 8, Bayo2, X or Smash, not to mention Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and possibly a new Mario Sports title, like Mario Strikers (Which plays much better than EA's lousy FIFA games) There's also the promise of a new Metroid and a possible franchise revival, and let's not forget Zelda U, I'm willing to bet that late 2014/2015's gonna be a good year for the Wii U.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The Wii U's sales are steadily rising right now, and we still haven't got Mario Kart 8, Bayo2, X or Smash, not to mention Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and possibly a new Mario Sports title, like Mario Strikers (Which plays much better than EA's lousy FIFA games) There's also the promise of a new Metroid and a possible franchise revival, and let's not forget Zelda U, I'm willing to bet that late 2014/2015's gonna be a good year for the Wii U.
Psst! Metroid isn't promised. It's just implied that they've been working on it. It's not confirmed.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
About the sales, markets don´t work in logical manner, if they did things would be easy to forecast. Wii U have now a bad image and that will be difficult to surpass, being true or not. At least I am positive for 2014-2015, I think that will be a strong year on wiiu lifespan (speaking about games)

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
About the sales, markets don´t work in logical manner, if they did things would be easy to forecast. Wii U have now a bad image and that will be difficult to surpass, being true or not. At least I am positive for 2014-2015, I think that will be a strong year on wiiu lifespan (speaking about games)
The only reason the Wii U has a bad image right now: The Dudebro gaming industry, Microsoft, EA and Epic have made sure to shoot as many bullets towards the Wii U as possible, bribing review sites like IGN, bribing 'journalists'. It's all part of the 'The cool kids hate Nintendo' bandwagon that the industry has had for a good while, because they can't stand their gritty games being objectively worse than Nintendo's amazing games,

D

Deleted member

I think it's enough Wii U discussion here, there is a reason this is a Smash forum.We know that it's selling bad, and if E3 doesn't reveal anything new, the Wii U is pretty much doomed(the Wii U not Nintendo)
As for SSB4, I'm expecting Ridley and Mewtwo, the most popular chars at the moment and a 3rd party char if we get one more, be it Pac-Man or Wonder-Red/Bayonetta(due to Platinum's recent relation with Nintendo) and if not, maybe a joke char like *cough*Mii*cough* in a similar way of the WFT

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
All the current consoles have a bad image. Sony looks super-risky with their massive debt and the threat of Steam Machine, XBO has all that back-lash and hate... and the threat of Steam Machine and the Wii U has terrible marketing and comparatively low sales... that said being an ARM machine it does manage to avoid the threat of the Steam Machine that developers are worried about eroding the other two markets so dependent on the way that sells it could well be in the best position as it's at least not in as direct competition with it... in fact it's only direct competitor is the OUYA, and that's a war SEGA could win!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
All the current consoles have a bad image. Sony looks super-risky with their massive debt and the threat of Steam Machine, XBO has all that back-lash and hate... and the threat of Steam Machine and the Wii U has terrible marketing and comparatively low sales... that said being an ARM machine it does manage to avoid the threat of the Steam Machine that developers are worried about eroding the other two markets so dependent on the way that sells it could well be in the best position as it's at least not in as direct competition with it... in fact it's only direct competitor is the OUYA, and that's a war SEGA could win!
^ THIS. The entire industry isn't doing so hot, but everyone likes to point fingers at Nintendo and giggle like school girls. Honestly, Nintendo could play it relatively safe and win E3 this year. Heck, Smash Bros and Zelda U alone could win the show. But Nintendo needs the big guns. Remember E3 2009? Galaxy 2 and Other M (before we knew it was meh) alone were enough to throw the big N back into the fray. Zelda, Retro's Project, Miyamoto's new IP, and of course, Smash Bros in addition to a surprise no one predicted such as a reboot or unexpected sequel (to Kid Icarus Uprising *COUGH COUGH NINTENDO PLEASE*) and it's gg no re.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I don´t think there is Miyamoto new IP, he is talking about this since Wii´s middle life span.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Development takes time. It's ridiculous to condemn a console as 'doomed' on the weight out of the one conference. Looking at sales figures, the Wii U is currently set to skate this generation along the lines of the GameCube - profitable, but not highly. That's absolutely fine for Nintendo, and if they put on a knock-out E3 then that's all the better profit-wise, but the Wii U won't 'recover'. It's stuck in the rut it's in and it'll stay there for the generation now, despite any flux in sales. That doesn't condemn the machine by any shakes - Nintendo will continue to release top notch games and their fans will continue to love the console, as they did the GameCube. People act like the Wii U is the be all and end all for Nintendo - it's really not. They're fine, and as far as profit goes, in a much better position than 'We laid off 16k staff last year' Sony and 'PLEASE BUY OUR GAMES DIVISION!!!' Microsoft.

Top Bottom