• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Development takes time. It's ridiculous to condemn a console as 'doomed' on the weight out of the one conference. Looking at sales figures, the Wii U is currently set to skate this generation along the lines of the GameCube - profitable, but not highly. That's absolutely fine for Nintendo, and if they put on a knock-out E3 then that's all the better profit-wise, but the Wii U won't 'recover'. It's stuck in the rut it's in and it'll stay there for the generation now, despite any flux in sales. That doesn't condemn the machine by any shakes - Nintendo will continue to release top notch games and their fans will continue to love the console, as they did the GameCube. People act like the Wii U is the be all and end all for Nintendo - it's really not. They're fine, and as far as profit goes, in a much better position than 'We laid off 16k staff last year' Sony and 'PLEASE BUY OUR GAMES DIVISION!!!' Microsoft.
Nintendo was not profitable since Wii U launched (if I remember right) and according with Iwata will not be for the next three years. different situation from gamecube

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Nintendo was not profitable since Wii U launched (if I remember right) and according with Iwata will not be for the next three years. different situation from gamecube
Well that's just made up mate. The Wii U was profitable for its first three quarters, taking the plunge after that. With sales on the increase I imagine it'll be profitable again by the latter half of 2014, when the big releases hit. And so, same situation as the GameCube. Don't just make up statistics.

Edit: Not highly profitable, but profitable - for example, third quarter after release Nintendo made 21billion yen, or 250m pounds.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Well that's just made up mate. The Wii U was profitable for its first three quarters, taking the plunge after that. With sales on the increase I imagine it'll be profitable again by the latter half of 2014, when the big releases hit. And so, same situation as the GameCube. Don't just make up statistics.

Edit: Not highly profitable, but profitable - for example, third quarter after release Nintendo made 21billion yen, or 250m pounds.
I didn´t, brother

First, I don´t think Wii U is profitable but I don´t have proof, what I said was that NINTENDO was not profitable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#cite_note-financial_results-5 (look at the column at the right)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140129e.pdf

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad. - Iwata

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html

I couldn´t find his expression about the next fiscal year but I am positive that I read something in the line that nintendo will only be profitable again after a long term restructure. I could be wrong.

Dude nintendo never had a lost on gamecube days, this ain´t gamecube times. They are in really danger but I don´t think (or want) they gonna die or leave the hardware market. But some people need to go to the street.

Edit: Look to the http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140129e.pdf
Page 3:
“Wii U” hardware still has a negative impact on Nintendo’s profit
s owing mainly to its markdown in the United States and Europe

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I didn´t, brother

First, I don´t think Wii U is profitable but I don´t have proof, what I said was that NINTENDO was not profitable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo#cite_note-financial_results-5 (look at the column at the right)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad. - Iwata

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html

I couldn´t find his expression about the next fiscal year but I am positive that I read something in the line that nintendo will only be profitable again after a long term restructure. I could be wrong.

Dude nintendo never had a lost on gamecube days, this ain´t gamecube times. They are in really danger but I don´t think (or want) they gonna die or leave the hardware market. But some people need to go to the street.
You've literally linked me to a Wikipedia page specifically stating in the first column that Nintendo's profits are UP (Green arrow) to 7.2 billion yen:

Profit
¥7.2 billion (FY 2013)[5]

Small, but profit. Nintendo aren't losing big bucks here and with Wii U profits on the upswing this is indeed gamecube days. The comparison is direct - a console on the market that's failed to meet it's own expectations due to marketing flaws and poor third party support. The only difference in this case is due to generational imparity - while it was possible to profit per console in GameCube days, technology is now at the point where companies take a loss per console to be made up for in software. As nintendo are doing, per increasing sales. Doomongering doesn't change that fact, and anybody who would even argue Nintendo are in danger clearly doesn't understand the magnitude of their coffers.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Wii U is just a generation. Not every generation will be a Wii. Now it may have a shorter lifecycle than the Wii (thank God) but they won't sell it out and release a new console. The best they can do is rebrand it or focus on what they want it to be. Simply put, they need to make games. More games, more sales, more third parties see the want to make for it. Bundle Wii Us with Pro Controllers or something. Make it less of something gimmicky and there you go, because the pad thing did not bring in an audience.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
You've literally linked me to a Wikipedia page specifically stating in the first column that Nintendo's profits are UP (Green arrow) to 7.2 billion yen:

Profit

Small, but profit. Nintendo aren't losing big bucks here and with Wii U profits on the upswing this is indeed gamecube days. The comparison is direct - a console on the market that's failed to meet it's own expectations due to marketing flaws and poor third party support. The only difference in this case is due to generational imparity - while it was possible to profit per console in GameCube days, technology is now at the point where companies take a loss per console to be made up for in software. As nintendo are doing, per increasing sales. Doomongering doesn't change that fact, and anybody who would even argue Nintendo are in danger clearly doesn't understand the magnitude of their coffers.

Read my edit on the last post. I am not doomed them and just crazy people argue that is all right to loose money. Stuff will not be all right if thing don´t change. That is reality, there is a limit luck can save you, if you are going to the sack you must do something. What are you saying? They ARE losing money (see my edit) so they need to DO something. I don´t understand you. I don´t want to kill nintendo I just see they are in the worst spot since the birth of the nes

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Read my edit on the last post
Your edit is inconsequential - as I already stated, all three companies lose out on hardware. Hardware isn't profitable, full stop. It costs more to make than to sell. The Wii U's markdown is a hit - but evidently not to the point of unprofitability, which is what your argument hinges on. It is made up for in software as the others do. You make out like Nintendo is on the crest of bankruptcy. Your whole argument is absurd, fatalist mentality and statistically so far from the truth it's laughable.The Wii U is the GameCube. It'll ride the wave, and hopefully we'll see Nintendo hit upon another Wii next generation.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

Profit

Honestly, i would love if Nintendo had another GameCube. I thought it was better than the N64 days, personally.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Your edit is inconsequential - as I already stated, all three companies lose out on hardware. Hardware isn't profitable, full stop. It costs more to make than to sell. The Wii U's markdown is a hit - but evidently not to the point of unprofitability, which is what your argument hinges on. It is made up for in software as the others do. The Wii U is the GameCube. It'll ride the wave, and hopefully we'll see Nintendo hit upon another Wii next generation.
But YOU said that Wii U is profitable...WTF. Now you are saying that is not?
Gamecube was PROFITBLE, that means when they sold one they had profit, Wii U is not that case.

Have a look at the
Page 3
2. Consolidated Financial Forecast
"We expect an annual net loss primarily"

2014 Fiscal year don´t look hot either, but hey maybe you know more them NINTENDO himself.

The GameCube kicked ***. Probably still my favourite console of all time.
Gamecube was one of my first video games, I love him too. Yeah probaly on the top together with sega genesis and SNES.

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
But YOU said that Wii U is profitable...WTF. Now you are saying that is not?
Gamecube was PROFITBLE, that means when they sold one they had profit, Wii U is not that case.

Have a look at the
Page 3
2. Consolidated Financial Forecast
"We expect an annual net loss primarily"

2014 Fiscal year don´t look hot either, but hey maybe you know more them NINTENDO himself.

Gamecube was one of my first video games, I love him too. Yeah probaly on the top together with sega genesis and SNES.
You truly don't understand the games industry. When a console is released it is released at a LOSS - as in, the cost outweighs the profit. All three consoles sell at this loss. Profit is made by selling software in quantities to outweigh the original loss on the console. That is profit in the games industry. The console itself is Nintendo's investment. They lose on the console to gain in the long run, just as Sony and Microsoft have. It was different two generations ago, when technology was lesser and therefore cheaper - consoles were just about profitable in themselves. So yes, on the consoles all three companies operate losses. However, that is made up for in software. Nintendo are seemingly scraping a small profit AS A COMPANY, though the Wii U is still down, though significantly less than previously.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
You truly don't understand the games industry. When a console is released it is released at a LOSS - as in, the cost outweighs the profit. All three consoles sell at this loss. Profit is made by selling software in quantities to outweigh the original loss on the console. That is profit in the games industry. The console itself is Nintendo's investment. They lose on the console to gain in the long run, just as Sony and Microsoft have. It was different two generations ago, when technology was lesser and therefore cheaper - consoles were just about profitable in themselves. So yes, on the consoles all three companies operate losses. However, that is made up for in software. Nintendo are seemingly scraping a small profit this quarter so far, due to increased sales, likely helped by DK.
I actually didn't know that. Thank you for being informative. Also, Retro helped in selling the Wii U. Maybe that means Nintendo will give them more projects. I'd love to see more from Retro. They've got that Midas touch.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
I actually didn't know that. Thank you for being informative. Also, Retro helped in selling the Wii U. Maybe that means Nintendo will give them more projects. I'd love to see more from Retro. They've got that Midas touch.
It's cool. Sadly consoles just aren't profitable themselves any more - the technology is too expensive. Profit is now made solely in software sales. While Nintendo will end the fiscal year at a loss due to poor sales last year, they're slowly increasing sales and their stocks are rising again, boding well for 2014/15 fiscal year.

Edit: Anyway, this is massively off topic, we should probably get back onto E3.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's cool. Sadly consoles just aren't profitable themselves any more - the technology is too expensive. Profit is now made solely in software sales. While Nintendo will end the fiscal year at a loss due to poor sales last year, they're slowly increasing sales and their stocks are rising again, boding well for 2014/15 fiscal year.
I don't see how they COULD have a bad 2014/15 year- Mario kart 8 AND Smash bros? Those are both system sellers and to have them both in the same year should boost sales. And hard.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
You truly don't understand the games industry. When a console is released it is released at a LOSS - as in, the cost outweighs the profit. All three consoles sell at this loss. Profit is made by selling software in quantities to outweigh the original loss on the console. That is profit in the games industry. The console itself is Nintendo's investment. They lose on the console to gain in the long run, just as Sony and Microsoft have. It was different two generations ago, when technology was lesser and therefore cheaper - consoles were just about profitable in themselves. So yes, on the consoles all three companies operate losses. However, that is made up for in software. Nintendo are seemingly scraping a small profit AS A COMPANY, though the Wii U is still down, though significantly less than previously.
I knew about that, sorry I understood you said that Wii U was profitble as piece of hardware. I really don´t care about that. What I think that Nintendo MUST change because clearly they are losing money,they need to make efforts to expand their brand to different tastes.

I don't see how they COULD have a bad 2014/15 year- Mario kart 8 AND Smash bros? Those are both system sellers and to have them both in the same year should boost sales. And hard.
Yeah, but at the same time never the internet was against Nintendo like this gen, the bad mounth is horrible. I really don´t know what gonna happen....but MK8 and Smash 4 will be million seller XP

Last edited:

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Hopefully. E3 will play it's part. If we see impressive demos for the likes of X, Smash Bros, Bayo2, Zelda U, SMT X FE, etc. plus some announcements such as Metroid and potentially F-Zero/Starfox (though I feel like we've been saying that for years), then Nintendo's future could definitely be looking up.

Yeah, but at the same time never the internet was against Nintendo like this gen, the bad mounth is horrible. I really don´t know what gonna happen....but MK8 and Smash 4 will be million seller XP
Are you kidding? Nintendo have had this for years, for the entirety of the Wii's lifespan. Guess what? It sold 100m, more than anybody else. What the internet says means nothing, because the vocal minority on the Internet are exactly that - a minority. IGN's comments section is hardly representative of anything but an increase in illiteracy.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm thinking at least Snake will be at E3. And if a second third-party newcomer is on their way, they will be revealed, along with another newcomer. I think Palutena could easily be revealed at E3 now.

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking at least Snake will be at E3. And if a second third-party newcomer is on their way, they will be revealed, along with another newcomer. I think Palutena could easily be revealed at E3 now.
The only way I see Snake returning is if Kojima anounced a Wii U MGS game at E3, about Palutena, I think she's more suitable for April Direct(if there is one[probably yes since it would be 2 months before E3 and after the latest])

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Question:
Are the directs always on the same date?

Like when was the febuary one again? 14th was it so?
So will the april one be 14 too?

Is there a pattern for the internatial directs or is it random dates?

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Question:
Are the directs always on the same date?

Like when was the febuary one again? 14th was it so?
So will the april one be 14 too?

Is there a pattern for the internatial directs or is it random dates?
I think it might be a bit random...I'm not so sure. I'll have to look that up.

Edit: The Directs are usually every two months or so. Roughly, mind you.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only way I see Snake returning is if Kojima anounced a Wii U MGS game at E3, about Palutena, I think she's more suitable for April Direct(if there is one[probably yes since it would be 2 months before E3 and after the latest])
The Snake point is invalid because this didn't stop him entering Brawl (and they outright promoted a lot of MGS4 material).

As for Palutena, I have a feeling she will be held back due to the leak or something.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Snake point is invalid because this didn't stop him entering Brawl (and they outright promoted a lot of MGS4 material).

As for Palutena, I have a feeling she will be held back due to the leak or something.
That's if the leak was real. We still don't know what it is yet. lol

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This thread and the rumors one will devour this site after the april direct all the way to E3 and MK8 will make the last couple days to E3 wait roll over smooth i honestly cant wait its gonna be so much fun i love it when people get soo hyped like Febuarys direct and start posting everything in CAPS with !!! At the end looooooool omg....

Ow pics like these over and over

Party_hard_gif_by_otagen-d45zmby.gif
Lmaooooooooo omg.........sorry...just had a little hype moment...imo its what makes this board and you guys so great!

CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Do you think they will announce a new wii u model with a bigger harddrive( seriously a deluxe at launch had 32 gigs and the ps4 which cost 50 dollars more had 500)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
am I the only one that thinks it be neat to have the countdown in the title?

2000 post woot

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
This thread and the rumors one will devour this site after the april direct all the way to E3 and MK8 will make the last couple days to E3 wait roll over smooth i honestly cant wait its gonna be so much fun i love it when people get soo hyped like Febuarys direct and start posting everything in CAPS with !!! At the end looooooool omg....

View attachment 11165
Lmaooooooooo omg.........sorry...just had a little hype moment...imo its what makes this board and you guys so great!

CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!
We can bring Popcorn!
Perry Pop Corn.gif

GET HYPED!

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333

View attachment 11165

CANT WAIT !!!!!!!!!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll start adding the countdown to the title when there's 50 days to go. As it is there's 67.

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
So, what's the general consensus about the number of characters we're likely getting at E3?

Chrimbo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-3537-7151
Probably 3 newcomers, for veterans, I'm not too sure.
I definitely think there will be three characters announced, but I'm willing to bet at least one of them is a veteran.

We have five newcomers already, and the speculated April Direct would bring that number up to six. I'm not sure about having nine newcomers revealed once E3 is over. Sakurai seems like the type of person who would want to keep of tricks up his sleeve. He probably only revealed three newcomers last year because it was the big reveal of the game.

Top Bottom