• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I gotta say, this is a much more plausible demo photo to me. Too bad it's so blurry... I'll run it through photoshop to see if I can reduce the motion blur, but the magic they use in CSI doesn't really exist.

"ENHANCE!"

in the meantime, compare the order to this:

Mario DK Link Samus

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Two things of notice:
1- Rosalina isn't next to Mario which is odd, plus why isn't Bowser there?
2- Looks like a computer screen if you ask me.
I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the series representatives in the Demo aren't beside each other. The Brawl Demo had all the characters in kinda random areas too, like Mario, Peach, and Bowser weren't beside each other. So meh.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Perhaps then we can view this as a bigger piece to the puzzle. What if our top row wasn't so much a row, but columns again, much like Brawl. The issue with that is mostly how does Pikachu find its way to the top row.

Alternatively, it could be like Brawls demo which had no rhyme or reason. Thinking about it, Best Buy has its locations now, perhaps an employee was brave and leaked it? What is the source of this image anyway?

Could someone post the starting roster CSS of Brawl? Perhaps we could flesh this out, and infer how the roster will be laid out in the end.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Perhaps then we can view this as a bigger piece to the puzzle. What if our top row wasn't so much a row, but columns again, much like Brawl. The issue with that is mostly how does Pikachu find its way to the top row.

Alternatively, it could be like Brawls demo which had no rhyme or reason. Thinking about it, Best Buy has its locations now, perhaps an employee was brave and leaked it? What is the source of this image anyway?
Brave, and scared. He was shaking as if there was an earthquake going on.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
So this is the best I could do. It's rather inconclusive, but going by my gut, the font seems to be right for Free For All. The "Li" character relationship in Link is also consistent. The blur makes it impossible to tell what some of the characters look like.

Some insight regarding the order of the characters:

Mario & Donkey Kong were first released in 1981
Link was in Feb of 86
Samus was August of 86
Kirby was in 1992
Star Fox was in 1993

That seems to be the motivation behind the general character order. Release dates. That seems to be the motivation behind Smash 64's CSS, and to a lesser degree, Brawl did this as well with the starting roster, but the quantity of characters made the pattern more difficult to keep intact. But it was Mario, DK, Link Samus.

It makes sense for demos to use that order.

If it weren't so blurry, I'd be more useful. Sorry guys. =/

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

This is an overlay of the With Anyone screen to see if the shared page title UI element lines up. Unsurprisingly it does. Granted, that's not a difficult accomplishment, since we have the precedent at our disposal, but it doesn't debunk it.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Well this one is certainly more believable, just one more then Brawl's demo. Also much more simplistic, so it would be easier to make from scratch. Also incredibly blurry, so unless they really screwed up we aren't going to make much progress :/

Neo Zero

Following Brawls column approach, there's actually nothing wrong with this. However this does still hold a problem that I don't see how it could be fixed, and that's Pikachu.

Brawl began with 8 columns headlined by Mario DK Link Samus Kirby Fox Pikachu and Diddy. Brawl ended with 9 columns and 4 even rows, pushing slots to the side and adding more to the grid as time went on. Why is this important? Marth Sonic and Pikachu.

We can naturally assume Marth would headline the RPG column again, and Sonic would headline the 3rd party column (which had GandW before albeit, but lets work around that for the moment) Pikachu of course would headline his own column for Pokemon...but the issue is how do you get Pikachu from the bottom row to the top row, not neccessarily before Marth, but before Sonic. Lets assume this is on the up and up though

Mario has 5 characters confirmed. As such at minimum a column would have 5 slots in it. Pikachu also must make his way to the top row which would then create at minimum, 9 columns. That would mean including random, at bare minimum the roster would have 44 characters. Its of course also possible to see either a 10th column or a 6th row. If I had to guess, we'd see a 6th row mostly because I can't see Pokemon not getting 6 characters. With that, wed have 53 characters including random. If we saw a new column, we'd have 49 characters.

Tldr; This points to the possibility of a roster between 44-53 characters, should the final result be laid out like Brawl

And of course, if this is real in the first place.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Also interesting to note that the stripes on the right side of the page title container has 3 lit stripes instead of two. If we are to assume this is real, then that particular UI element actually indicates something. Perhaps how many "layers deep" that particular menu is, or how many steps you've completed before you can start fighting. In this case, picking a stage might be the 4th step.

I won't be surprised if this is legit. If it's fake, it's playing safe, but sometimes that's the sign of the real thing. After all, this is a very reasonable demo roster.

Neo Zero

Also interesting to note that the stripes on the right side of the page title container has 3 lit stripes instead of two. If we are to assume this is real, then that particular UI element actually indicates something. Perhaps how many "layers deep" that particular menu is, or how many steps you've completed before you can start fighting. In this case, picking a stage might be the 4th step.

I won't be surprised if this is legit. If it's fake, it's playing safe, but sometimes that's the sign of the real thing. After all, this is a very reasonable demo roster.
Let alone being at stage 3 in the menu makes perfect sense.

Main Menu>Vs>Character>Stage. I'm impressed this leaker, if fake, was smart enough to recognize that obvious detail.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well it's certainly not a super exciting leak, but it's substantial. If it's real, I like it. I like simple things. I've never been a fan of some of the random clutter they've put in past Smash menus.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So this is the best I could do. It's rather inconclusive, but going by my gut, the font seems to be right for Free For All. The "Li" character relationship in Link is also consistent. The blur makes it impossible to tell what some of the characters look like.

Some insight regarding the order of the characters:

Mario & Donkey Kong were first released in 1981
Link was in Feb of 86
Samus was August of 86
Kirby was in 1992
Star Fox was in 1993

That seems to be the motivation behind the general character order. Release dates. That seems to be the motivation behind Smash 64's CSS, and to a lesser degree, Brawl did this as well with the starting roster, but the quantity of characters made the pattern more difficult to keep intact. But it was Mario, DK, Link Samus.

It makes sense for demos to use that order.

If it weren't so blurry, I'd be more useful. Sorry guys. =/
Hey, I noticed something odd.

At the top, the three parallelogram-like bars. I would assume that the more bars you use, the more menus you are through before you reach actually playing the game. I assume stages would be the last bar, and the bar before it would be the Smash menu. Would the first bar be the very first screen?

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I gotta be honest, guys. I don't think the guy Sakurai has doing menu design makes very good menus. =P Smash menus are among my least favorite menus in games. This also applies to Kid Icarus and Kirby Air Ride.

Hey, I noticed something odd.

At the top, the three parallelogram-like bars. I would assume that the more bars you use, the more menus you are through before you reach actually playing the game. I assume stages would be the last bar, and the bar before it would be the Smash menu. Would the first bar be the very first screen?
Beat you to it, bro. =P

D

Deleted member

I gotta be honest, guys. I don't think the guy Sakurai has doing menu design makes very good menus. =P Smash menus are among my least favorite menus in games. This also applies to Kid Icarus and Kirby Air Ride.

Beat you to it, bro. =P
Way to insult his wife's handiwork.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Beat you to it, bro. =P
Gosh Darn. Oh well.

Hmmm. I noticed a few other things:

• The Background has little detail, but that doesn't really matter.
  • It has a "B for Back" thing that most Smashes has instead of the Smash Ball in the last leak.
  • Also no Little Mac, but Mega Man is sensible.

Neo Zero

Btw, taking my logic from earlier, I also decided to count how many characters we have as vets left, as well as the Gematsu leak. Combined with the 30 we have so far, that's 13 vets and 6 newcomers which....lines up perfectly with 10 columns and 5 rows. The vet total includes every Brawl vet except Squirtle and Ivysaur. Ill make a roster maker thing when I'm home to visualize this idea better, but basically to give you an idea column wise

Mario/MarioSpinoff(MiyamotoIPs?)/Zelda/Cute/Space/Pokemon/RPG/Wii Era/3rd Party

49 slots for those counting at home.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Btw, taking my logic from earlier, I also decided to count how many characters we have as vets left, as well as the Gematsu leak. Combined with the 30 we have so far, that's 13 vets and 6 newcomers which....lines up perfectly with 10 columns and 5 rows. The vet total includes every Brawl vet except Squirtle and Ivysaur. Ill make a roster maker thing when I'm home to visualize this idea better, but basically to give you an idea column wise

Mario/MarioSpinoff(MiyamotoIPs?)/Zelda/Cute/Space/Pokemon/RPG/Wii Era/3rd Party

49 slots for those counting at home.
Hmm....

Somehow I feel like having 5 rows isn't the best idea. Makes for very rectangular character portraits if the player slots take up a comparable amount of room to this photo.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Hmm....

Somehow I feel like having 5 rows isn't the best idea. Makes for very rectangular character portraits if the player slots take up a comparable amount of room to this photo.
Also if they would be going the same way of Columns like in Brawl, if Pokemon got 6 Reps it would look very strange to see an extra to the side.

Neo Zero

I imagine the final CSS would be prettier. Like I said though, its merely a theory using this leak, Sal's leak, and previous standards. When I drew it out on my break though, it seemed plausible

I'd still like to know the source of this image btw, do we have a 4chan thread we can analyze concerning this Best Buy demo?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I didn't get to see the 4cn roster demo "leak" as it's been removed :(.

That gamefaqs thing is fake. People create alts and do that kind of thing all the time.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I didn't get to see the 4cn roster demo "leak" as it's been removed :(.

That gamefaqs thing is fake. People create alts and do that kind of thing all the time.
What GameFaqs thing? The text thing?

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Now THIS leak is something I can get behind. It may be fake, but at least this time the leaker took a picture of the whole screen.

I've said it before: if you're a valid leaker and you want to get a picture out there, you take a photo of as much as you can, not convenient camera angles and cropped images. This person captured the whole screen.

Why is it blurry? They were probably trying their best not to get caught taking the picture, so they tried to snap it fast and hide their phone/camera. If you've ever tried to take a quick pic without steadying your camera for a second first, you know this is exactly what can happen to the picture.

Again, not saying this is 100% or that I 100% believe it, but this is far more believable to me than the last CSS leak was.

Shroob

Sup?
We're onto another CSS? Oh, I'm a dumbass, derp.

I feel like 49 would be our roster though, and my reasoning is:

Every Brawl vet minus Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur

Sal Leak + Rosalina

Mewtwo

49 characters and a Random Box.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That was Hex. He tested if it could turn into 5 rows and 10 columns which means 49 characters. This is the actual leak:

Yeah, I realize that now. I'm a dumb-ass. :p

I gave my opinion above. 49 has been what I honestly believe we'll get since the Random box takes a square... and honestly, I just really, REALLY want Mewtwo back.

JCAndre

Smash Apprentice
This one might be real because of the simple fact that it's...simple. There is nothing new or interesting about it. No weird menu options like "colors" or teasing new characters. Just pretty much what you'd expect.

Edit: The only thing off about it is it seems to use the same Smash>Free For All set up that the other CSS leak hoax had.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if the series representatives in the Demo aren't beside each other. The Brawl Demo had all the characters in kinda random areas too, like Mario, Peach, and Bowser weren't beside each other. So meh.

Actually Brawl's Demo and starting roster weren't randomized at all. The characters were arranged by Columns but for each character taken out, were adjusted to the left by rows. With that knowledge you could easily speculate Luigi from the demo (though that's not saying much) and Luigi and Falco from the starting roster. In fact with the prior knowledge you can tell that Ridley isn't playable in brawl just by looking at the starter roster due to the position of Link, Samus, and Kirby in relationship to Zelda, Pit, and Meta-knight.

Assuming Sakurai uses this roster model for smash 4, we should at least be able to do some mild form of speculation in determining possible additions or whatnot.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Based on this image, if we're to assume that the character grid does not exceed the width of the player slots (which makes sense if they're supporting fullscreen), and that the grid is not irregular, I feel like 47 characters is a safe bet. Maybe 51, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

After all, we don't know if this is real or not. And I don't have the benefit of being able to scrutinize the type. =(

Shroob

Sup?
Based on this image, if we're to assume that the character grid does not exceed the width of the player slots (which makes sense if they're supporting fullscreen), and that the grid is not irregular, I feel like 47 characters is a safe bet. Maybe 51, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

After all, we don't know if this is real or not. And I don't have the benefit of being able to scrutinize the type. =(

47? That'd probably mean more cuts than just Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur.... and no Mewtwo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom