• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm a little lost here. There have been 6 pics now? I thought there were only 2?

Can someone get me up to speed with it all.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm a little lost here. There have been 6 pics now? I thought there were only 2?

Can someone get me up to speed with it all.
This is the recap with every single picture.

Let's Recap!:

Pics 1 and 2:

These 2 "photos" are the things that started this whole conundrum! It showed us a slew of 50 character slots with most of them locked! Some announced veterans and newcomers said to be in this roster and are locked. This could be because that they aren't "Ready". Marth is the character supposedly selected because he is on the bottom character viewer, and a Hockey Puck thing is over him. The border of his portrait is red because of that. You can also see a "Colors" tab in the top right, the OP stated that this allowed you to create your own custom colors.

Pic 3:

Pic three was shown a few dozen minutes after the first 2. This was shown a slanted angle which also revealed Mega Man and Little Mac, who were previously locked the the first 2 pictures. The reason the OP stated was that there were 2 versions, a Best Buy version and a Invitational version. However you could slightly see a blue square and the letter Y with a bit of purple. The icon under it shown that it was selected by player 2 and was from the Metroid series. This could be none other than Ridley. However the name plate of Ridley was 1 pixel higher than the other name plates. This seems to indicate it to be a fake leak. It was thought to be made when the poster pasted the Ridley slot over the Locked slot.

Pic 4:

Another Picture. This picture was a more zoomed in version of Mega Man and Little Mac. However you could see a bit of another slot that is in the bottom right corner. It is said to be the Random Button and that there is a piece of red which signals to be a red question mark. Under the name plate you can see something that is either a P or an R, however it is mostly R for Random.

Pic 5:

Pic 5 was weird angle that was zoomed in. It clearly showed Pac-Man in the bottom right. However it used known art. Another thing is that Ridley was way closer than he previously was. This could have easily been made with Pic 4 and rotated a bit. His name plate also used a thinner font, which proves it to be a copy-cat fake.

Pic 6:

The Final Pic! It shows a more clearer version of the left side which shows Mario, Link, and Pikachu. This was said to be from the original poster. However he also adds that Ridley is unlocked after beating the Tournament mode, this more than proves this is the same guy who made the first 4 pictures. He said he will now delete these pictures off of his Phone.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This whole thing would have been over with ages ago if it wasn't for the fact that the original poster posted these as an anonymous. Certainly doesn't help us that we know for a fact that people have been tampering with the pictures thanks to the Pac-Man picture.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Let's Recap!:

Pics 1 and 2:

These 2 "photos" are the things that started this whole conundrum! It showed us a slew of 50 character slots with most of them locked! Some announced veterans and newcomers said to be in this roster and are locked. This could be because that they aren't "Ready". Marth is the character supposedly selected because he is on the bottom character viewer, and a Hockey Puck thing is over him. The border of his portrait is red because of that. You can also see a "Colors" tab in the top right, the OP stated that this allowed you to create your own custom colors.

Pic 3:

Pic three was shown a few dozen minutes after the first 2. This was shown a slanted angle which also revealed Mega Man and Little Mac, who were previously locked the the first 2 pictures. The reason the OP stated was that there were 2 versions, a Best Buy version and a Invitational version. However you could slightly see a blue square and the letter Y with a bit of purple. The icon under it shown that it was selected by player 2 and was from the Metroid series. This could be none other than Ridley. However the name plate of Ridley was 1 pixel higher than the other name plates. This seems to indicate it to be a fake leak. It was thought to be made when the poster pasted the Ridley slot over the Locked slot.

Pic 4:

Another Picture. This picture was a more zoomed in version of Mega Man and Little Mac. However you could see a bit of another slot that is in the bottom right corner. It is said to be the Random Button and that there is a piece of red which signals to be a red question mark. Under the name plate you can see something that is either a P or an R, however it is mostly R for Random. You can tell another inconsistency is that in Little Mac's name, the C is a different font to everyone else's.

Pic 5:

Pic 5 was weird angle that was zoomed in. It clearly showed Pac-Man in the bottom right. However it used known art. Another thing is that Ridley was way closer than he previously was. This could have easily been made with Pic 4 and rotated a bit. His name plate also used a thinner font, which proves it to be a copy-cat fake.

Pic 6:

The Final Pic! It shows a more clearer version of the left side which shows Mario, Link, and Pikachu. This was said to be from the original poster. However he also adds that Ridley is unlocked after beating the Tournament mode, this more than proves this is the same guy who made the first 4 pictures. He said he will now delete these pictures off of his Phone.

All of these are facts that DID happen!

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
What kind of C's are used for the rest of the roster (as in the first two pics, like for Peach or whoever?), the Sonic- or Little Mac-kind? Just out of interest, it probably makes no difference but I cant check it myself at the moment.

Edit: Oh, there it is right there, thanks.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What kind of C's are used for the rest of the roster (as in the first two pics, like for Peach or whoever?), the Sonic- or Little Mac-kind? Just out of interest, it probably makes no difference but I cant check it myself at the moment.
Peach and Charizard has the Sonic C.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Well the Smash official site uses C like Little Mac but we can't use that logic because of WFT.

D

Deleted member

Every C we can see(pun not intended) are styled the same except Little Mac, but on the official site, they are styled like Little Macs.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
All I know is that the Sonic "C" that doesn't match Little Mac's "C" is the same "C" in the 2nd pic. Which means something, I just don't know what.
Don't forget the difference on the clor of the top of little mac and mega man boxes.

There's 3 error one in the ridley pic and 2 on the random pic how are the other one not fake?

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Basically the first two pics have all characters with a different font than the one on the website, which is why all of them have the same "C" - Peach, Charizard, Lucario and Sonic.

It's the pictures that add Little Mac and Mega Man where there's mistakes and inconsistencies.

D

Deleted member

Let's Recap!:

Pics 1 and 2:

Pic 3:

Pic 4:

Another Picture. This picture was a more zoomed in version of Mega Man and Little Mac. However you could see a bit of another slot that is in the bottom right corner. It is said to be the Random Button and that there is a piece of red which signals to be a red question mark. Under the name plate you can see something that is either a P or an R, however it is mostly R for Random.

Pic 5:

Pic 6:

Do you think you can edit in that the C in Little Mac's name is different than everyone else, yet matches the official site?

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah indeed, the M's seem to be different too (Mega Man and Little Mac have them more "straight", unless I'm seeing things).

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Do you know what screams the most fake to me? If Ridley was unlocked you'd sure as hell take a picture of him, as many as you could and not just get the "Y" in there.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Yeah indeed, the M's seem to be different too (Mega Man and Little Mac have them more "straight", unless I'm seeing things).
You're not seeing things, it's definitely a different font altogether. The second set of pics are not only obviously fake now, but sloppy as heck. It implies someone went through the trouble of typing out all the character slots in a new font, but for some reason couldn't be bothered to do the same with Little Mac and Mega Man and instead just took the names from the website and called it a day.

D

Deleted member

The Ms appear to be different as well. I don't know what to think is real or fake anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Let's Recap!:

Pics 1 and 2:

Pic 3:

Pic 4:

Another Picture. This picture was a more zoomed in version of Mega Man and Little Mac. However you could see a bit of another slot that is in the bottom right corner. It is said to be the Random Button and that there is a piece of red which signals to be a red question mark. Under the name plate you can see something that is either a P or an R, however it is mostly R for Random. You can tell another inconsistency is that in Little Mac's name, the C is a different font to everyone else's.

Pic 5:

Pic 6:

I'm gonna bet that at least 4 and 5 are fake. Notice how in Pics 1-3 we never see Little Mac's "C", it's cut off.

Edit: YEP! Someone just posted something comparing the M's. In pic 3, Mega Man's "M" is matching with Marth, while pic 4 changes Mega Man's M!

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Hmm, Why would Ridley be next to Pit and not next to Samus? Would that mean that theres another Metroid rep (If this leak was true.)

Dairz

Smash Ace
The different C's indicate the 4th pic is fake. Because the 3rd one also has Little Mac, (when the first two don't) can we conclude the 3rd is also fake?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Last post because I can crush this leak

First 2 pics look real and all the other pics are from the same setup as the first 2.

The third pic is fake because of the pixel off in ridley's box.

The fourth pic is fake because of the color difference on the top of little mac box and the mega man one. Plus, there's the c difference. Since a comment was given that said that there's 2 versions with 2 more unlockable, this is a lie because the picture is fake. What this means is that it is NOT normal to see 2 character unlocked in the third and fourth pic thus, making these 2 pictures fake.

The fifth pic has no mistake but the comment claim again that there's 2 version making this an insta fake because it's a lie.

So, the only way this leak is somehow true is the first 2 pic. But like I said, all the pic was done on the same setup (the same CSS) so, if the first 2 pic are the only one real, then how ANOTHER PERSON was able to replicate the whole CSS and post this as a fake? They are in different angles so you had to do a shot from the same setup to get the other pic which I proved fake. Since only the person who posted the 3rd, 4th and 5th could've posted the first 2, this make this leak a FAKE.

Now, you're sceptical if you do believe it now.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Woah dude... Great find! Reminds me of this

So the cycle continues...

Pixel theory debunked. There's barely any evidence against this now besides leaker not showing Ridley. Add that to the fact that this is the only CSS that has had some series credibility... we are getting somewhere
Cool image, what's the illusion? I went ahead and changed my earlier post to reflect additions to this thread made after I posted it.

That's a valid accusation. I just hate that people are willing to dismiss something because "zomg that pixel is off". This is a AAA video game, they don't have time to make everything literally pixel perfect.
I feel like it's -because- this is a AAA video game that everything would be way more likely to be perfect, especially the UI and menus.

I've been reading this on and off all night since it was only 10 pages long. I feel I've earned relating recap.

There were 6 leaked photos overall. One of them was definitely fake and was made by some rando dude after the fact, but the rest looked plausibly legit. No new characters were shown but it was a big deal because it revealed the final roster count, and hinted at unannounced characters by way of positioning same-IP members together in a group. A lot of things seemed right about it, a lot of things seemed off about it, but one by one all complaints and accolades were given plausible explanations which could be proven neither true nor untrue.

At various points in time and in no particular order, points that people raised that were eventually theorized out of existence, pro or con, were the following:

• (con) the P1 hockey puck looks weird and the hand is missing, Marth is translucent
  • (con) the photos were taken at a weird angle, pixelated, smudged, close-in, you name it
  • (pro) reposted images of it were being taken down all over the internet, assumedly by Nintendo
  • (pro) it was first released on a 4chan thread that was quickly erased
  • (con) it was first released on 4chan
  • (con) what do colors mean, what do bars mean, what do the 3's mean, what does it MEEAANNN
  • (con) why would it show locks instead of just getting bigger when new characters are added as in brawl
  • (pro) the locks have the smash logo on them and look kewl
  • (pro) the number of characters match up well with popular opinion and other leaks (Sal Romano)
  • (con?) WFT's name is in all caps, but double-checking showed that it's inconsistent everywhere
  • (con) it looks weird in general to have a bunch of locks
  • (con) it's strange that different characters are unlocked in different pictures
  • (con) Bowser et al are not just unlocked by default
  • (pro) the leaker said differences between photos is because they were taken from different demo versions
  • (pro) departures from past smash bros games line up with identifiable Namco influences
  • (con) nothing we didn't already know was shown besides the questionable Ridley corner (explained below)
  • (con) the Ridley corner is one pixel up from other character portraits
  • (con) the letter C in Sonc's name is a different font than the C in Little Mac's name
  • (con) photoshop
  • (pro) not everything on the internet is photoshopped
  • (pro) at the very least the original first 2 photos have little to nothing graphically wrong with them
  • (neutral) E3 approacheth
Main Commentators Who Provided Insight and Were Generally Cool:
  • GamerGuy09 - for a long time the most vocal skepticist, still a skepticist
  • Con0rrrr - for a long time the most vocal supportist, is now unsure but still leaning towards true
  • aldelaro5 - pretty unbiased overall but now a skepticist, found that the Ridley portrait was a pixel off
  • Other Smart and Relatively Frequent Commentators: Neo Zero, The Soulless One, Chris Baker, ChunkyBeef, RIDELY is too SMALL, The Light Music Club, Toothiest Aura, Swampasaur, Gameboi834, samusrules93, MasterofMonster, Pieman0920, Oracle_Summon, hinata2000100, Staarih, artisticgamerxl, shrooby

There are many others who rocked out this pretty decent thread here, so sorry if you were not listed and should have been.

As for me, I don't trust leaks to begin with and this one looks pretty good. But, what ruins the deal for me is that Ghirahim either missing his slot or would have to replace Ganondorf, and I know in my heart neither can be true. *sniffles*

EDIT: made the pros, cons, and people have bullet points to look nicer
EDIT EDIT: added the 2 most pertinent photos below, the original leaked one and the Ridley corner one
TRIPLE COMBO: adjusted post to reflect posts after this one

I've made changes to reflect posts made after last night. This is hard to keep up with.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Last post because I can crush this leak

First 2 pics look real and all the other pics are from the same setup as the first 2.

The third pic is fake because of the pixel off in ridley's box.

The fourth pic is fake because of the color difference on the top of little mac box and the mega man one. Plus, there's the c difference. Since a comment was given that said that there's 2 versions with 2 more unlockable, this is a lie because the picture is fake. What this means is that it is NOT normal to see 2 character unlocked in the third and fourth pic thus, making these 2 pictures fake.

The fifth pic has no mistake but the comment claim again that there's 2 version making this an insta fake because it's a lie.

So, the only way this leak is somehow true is the first 2 pic. But like I said, all the pic was done on the same setup (the same CSS) so, if the first 2 pic are the only one real, then how ANOTHER PERSON was able to replicate the whole CSS and post this as a fake? They are in different angles so you had to do a shot from the same setup to get the other pic which I proved fake. Since only the person who posted the 3rd, 4th and 5th could've posted the first 2, this make this leak a FAKE.

Now, you're sceptical if you do believe it now.
All you're doing is begging the question "It's a lie because it's fake"...um, what?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21

The Ms appear to be different as well. I don't know what to think is real or fake anymore.
On the Ridley leaked image the M of Mega Man is correct, it's like the Marth one in the firs image.

Edit: Also Samus's M on the 6th image match corretly too..

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Honestly, I don't see the difference in the "Ms". I can tell the Cs are different clear as day, but I can't tell with the Ms.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I mean, I guess if we're gonna go the way of photoshop we have to consider it's possible that this CSS is real but the photos taken showed ONLY locks and someone added the character portraits in afterwards. Or some portraits were added beyond what was originally there, or some locks were placed over characters who were originally shown.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
All you're doing is begging the question "It's a lie because it's fake"...um, what?
nope if the leaker showed a picture with a comment that seems plausible then it can looks real.

But if I have the proof that the picture is fake ESPECIALLY on the "unlocked" characters, then how is there 2 version? The c error and the color error was on the unlocked characters so they have been edited. The rest just goes downhill (the 2 version is a lie and so, the other picture that claimed that has to be fake because he's claiming something that we know is a lie).

Are you seriously biased? If you consider a lie real then explain.

I mean, I guess if we're gonna go the way of photoshop we have to consider it's possible that this CSS is real but the photos taken showed ONLY locks and someone added the character portraits in afterwards. Or some portraits were added beyond what was originally there, or some locks were placed over characters who were originally shown.
And the angle difference?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom