• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E. Gadd's Gallery - Luigi Video and Critique thread

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yo empty short hop to anything is amazing in smash 4 because of Luigi's new jump animation. I didn't like the change at first but then I realized due to his fast motions during the jump it can intimidate people just from constantly short hopping in front of someone.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I need to start slowing down more; I try to keep the offensive pressure up all the time, and as people are getting better and better at zoning/spacing, it's getting me messed up more than before.

You're 100% right about jumping/attack from the ledge. That's pretty much all I've done :p I'll try mixing it up with different get-up tactics. I played a Bowser last night and I'm getting better at respecting his new options...still not there yet. I think I just need to hammer the match-up a lot. Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated as usual :)

@ The Nutz of Norcal Deez The Nutz of Norcal Deez that empty short hop to cyclone is a wicked mindgame. I love it. I'm definitely going to start doing that more, as well as empty short hop to grab. Looks amazing.

I would say just keep working on the fireball zoning. I generally try to stay on top of Sheik (but outside of tilt range) so she can't settle into a good camping game. Fireball pressure to bait a roll/shield/whiffed attack and punishing them with Luigi's wicked dash grab is the way to live life. Keep up the good work!
I really need to record some of my matches and get them up here. Zhao....GET ON THAT WII U!!!!

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
What is an "empty" short hop?
Empty short hop just means you do short but don't do anything like an aerial or air dodge. It's a good mind game in that it makes the opponent thin you are doing something, and may shield or do something even you are not even attack.

So my sets of winner's, loser's, and grand finals were uploaded. Played Craftis' sonic in winners and grands and pecla's diddy/falco in loser's. Any feedback would be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-jRC8HTWY (I'm on stream from about 8:00 till the end).

I also played a set against a pretty good villager and LordXavier's Link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcQAygZMYh8
Villager set starts at around 6:00, and Link set at around 56:50.

Any feedback would be great. I do admit I kind of gave up against sonic, tournament was long and I never placed so high in a tournament that big, as well as there were various points in other matches where I forced things or didn't execute.

Dr.Faustus

Smash Rookie
Delta:

I really enjoyed your use of tornado out of downthrow, especially as a finisher. You also employed u-smash OOS really well.

Sonic can be a massive *****. A really good local sonic (Manny, if you know the Florida scene at all) advised that luigi upsmash beats most spindash approaches. Not sure if I am solid enough at spacing to do that regularly, but I thought I'd share.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
@ DJ Delta DJ Delta :
The Sonic MU is almost similar to Brawl, very patient and slow with little action even with a faster engine. Grounded fireballs pretty much beat his approach and advancing with them helps close the gap needed for Luigi. I've played TwicH(Norcal Sonic main) frequently in Brawl, and I guess as a transition, you zone out with a properly spaced receeding B-air. Any other aerial will trade and not in your favor. Recovering is more of a chore this time around since now Sonic's D-air spikes and can shut down your horizontal recovery from Green Missile(Side-special). Be aware of that and reserve your 2nd jump in case you need to use it for a rising cyclone... as they removed the self-generated Vertical momentum from it in Brawl(Sad face). All I got really, since I'm basing this off of Brawl MU experience and like no more than a set in the WiiU version. In theory, this should all work well against the Blue Blur.

Another note: I noticed from different players that D-Throw options varies from one another. Kill % go for the full-hop N-air, or, if you're bold/confident/flashy, the nice Shoryuken finish. However, keep in mind at low percents it's all about the mix-ups and conditioning. Pay attention to what your opponent does afterwards and follow-up accordingly. People I play against air-dodge so if I catch onto it, I can FF back to the ground after I jump with them and punish with a smash or something else. Luigi is all about the mindgames since we have DEADLY tools both on-ground and airborne. Keep that in mind y'all. :)

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9xDO6UKzK0

AMAZING. Someone uploaded a replay of my Luigi, I think it was played the day Smash 3DS got released. Shortly before I discovered how amazing d-throw actually was.

While it's mostly for comical purposes, let me know if you have any tips or tricks for the Luigi/Kirby matchup! It's very underplayed IMO and I would like to not get caught off guard when I come across a good Kirby.

Hope you're all doing well! Work and no Smash Wii U has rendered me pretty much dead when it comes to activity lol :( :( :(

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Took 2nd last night at a 50 man tournament resetting the bracket against a top player in Texas named Dao. Videos will be uploaded in the next 2-3 days. Any critiques will be appreciated

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Since the sonic player is my training partner I've been working with him on the mu. I don't think it's as bad as I once thought, I just need to learn to maintain better stage control and not be too aggressive offstage. That and from watching boss, d-throw to nair seems just as reliable and possibly strong than d-throw to cyclone. I mainly used cyclone since it is a multi-hit and thus air dodging wouldn't be to effective. Just need to keep my options open to avoid following a pattern and becoming too predictable.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
lmao why is that stage legal?
Was Hypest's Stage Testing Tournament, TOd by @Capps . Big deal for testing controversial stages - not to 'see' whether they're legal or not, but to show why some shouldn't be for once and all in competitive tournaments. Also shows how some of the stages on the stagelist aren't too bad.

Link to the tourney stagelist is in the description of the video, plus I go on about it in the commentary. Apologies if you watched it muted though.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Was Hypest's Stage Testing Tournament, TOd by @Capps . Big deal for testing controversial stages - not to 'see' whether they're legal or not, but to show why some shouldn't be for once and all in competitive tournaments. Also shows how some of the stages on the stagelist aren't too bad.

Link to the tourney stagelist is in the description of the video, plus I go on about it in the commentary. Apologies if you watched it muted though.
Ah okay, that makes sense.
Yeah I had to put it on mute because of my computer being awful.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Thunder, I really liked your comeback against Papa and your overall playstyle in the last match. Luigi has a tough time mixing up approaches, but I think your neutral game improved as the matches wore on. I think you could make a little more use out of the cyclone as a way of mixing things up. It's horizontal speed is difficult for opponents to detect, so there's an opportunity to catch them off guard from time to time. If they shield it, you can mash B to rise up enough to create a safe distance (or land on a platform).

Overall, very solid play and a great deal of intelligent reads. Bravo.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Thunder, I really liked your comeback against Papa and your overall playstyle in the last match. Luigi has a tough time mixing up approaches, but I think your neutral game improved as the matches wore on. I think you could make a little more use out of the cyclone as a way of mixing things up. It's horizontal speed is difficult for opponents to detect, so there's an opportunity to catch them off guard from time to time. If they shield it, you can mash B to rise up enough to create a safe distance (or land on a platform).

Overall, very solid play and a great deal of intelligent reads. Bravo.
Tbh I mainly lost game 1 vs Papa because I stopped thinking and wasn't keeping his habits in mind. I started off strong but got sloppy towards the end of it. Games 2 and 3 show what all of game 1 should have been.

Sometimes you don't have to mix up your approaches. In most of those games my primary approach was run up close and dash grab when I saw the opportune time to go for it and it worked out for me. And sometimes you don't even have to approach. I would shut down those Diddys with fireball because it kills bananas thrown at me and it covers the area where a banana is on the ground, so by doing this I basically force them to approach me. Whether your approaching or forcing someone to approach, being patient is very important.

Cyclone approaches aren't as good as you'd think when it doesn't connect. It can be nice to mix in like you said but rising afterwards rarely gets you out of being punished against competent players because there's quite a bit of endlag on the move. Despite me getting somewhat greedy with downb in my set with Goggles, he was able to punish my downb attempts as the set went on.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Hey I attended my first Smash 4 tournament a few weeks ago. Got 13th overall. My first loss was to the guy who won 1st. My second loss was to a guy who places pretty high overall in our local tournaments so I wasn't disappointed at all in my placing. Here are my recorded matches. Please give me any kind of advice you can. Really tryna improve my game. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAguWUkys4
This was the first match of the tournament and I was pretty excited/nervous. I'm not very used to the Pit MU but still won in Game 3 last stock. I ate quite a bit of side Bs and was sure I was going to die plenty of times. I did a lot wrong but I also think I did a lot right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGsfZpr_5I
Here is my match against The Reflex Wonder. I got bodied I know. I was playing pretty intimidated because I knew who he was. I know I barely threw fireballs which would have improved my performance a lot.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Hey I attended my first Smash 4 tournament a few weeks ago. Got 13th overall. My first loss was to the guy who won 1st. My second loss was to a guy who places pretty high overall in our local tournaments so I wasn't disappointed at all in my placing. Here are my recorded matches. Please give me any kind of advice you can. Really tryna improve my game. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjAguWUkys4
This was the first match of the tournament and I was pretty excited/nervous. I'm not very used to the Pit MU but still won in Game 3 last stock. I ate quite a bit of side Bs and was sure I was going to die plenty of times. I did a lot wrong but I also think I did a lot right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGsfZpr_5I
Here is my match against The Reflex Wonder. I got bodied I know. I was playing pretty intimidated because I knew who he was. I know I barely threw fireballs which would have improved my performance a lot.
Wait youre in georgia? i didnt know that. we should play sometime

The_World

Smash Cadet
My most recent matches with friends. We're having a tournament at school and any pointers I can get would be great.

Loss

Win.

Win

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Played at a Local last Saturday, was wondering if I could improve on anything ?
I'm the Luigi, yes.

http://www.twitch.tv/egeofficial/v/3699581

3:01 - 8:32 - vs Rosalina

36:00 - 47:10 - vs Sonic

1:30:12 - 1:45:26 - Diddy/Sonic

I did go over the matches myself. I noticed I was dropping reads by playing too linear.

And in the match vs the Diddy, the SD demoralized me and ruined the rest of my matches from then on.

Critique would be greatly appreciated!

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Played at a Local last Saturday, was wondering if I could improve on anything ?
I'm the Luigi, yes.

http://www.twitch.tv/egeofficial/v/3699581

3:01 - 8:32 - vs Rosalina

36:00 - 47:10 - vs Sonic

1:30:12 - 1:45:26 - Diddy/Sonic

I did go over the matches myself. I noticed I was dropping reads by playing too linear.

And in the match vs the Diddy, the SD demoralized me and ruined the rest of my matches from then on.

Critique would be greatly appreciated!

Only thing I would say off the top of my head is your cyclone usage in the neutral game got maaad predictable, and almost cost you vs Meek. It's a great move to start things out, and it has that Get Out Of Jail Free card feeling, but there's a fine line between not using it enough and overusing it completely.

Good play overall though, keep wreckin' 'em bud!

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
These are a few videos from a free entry local a few weeks a go. I played a Ness and Sonic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgeRZDdKAdg set vs Ness starts at 44:00, followed by my winner's finals set vs Crafits (aka KC), I only went Luigi one game and after that we switched characters, so it's not worth the watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq50qVIAC10 another set vs Ness and set vs Sonic starts at 9:00 (the whole video is me playing in loser's and grand finals.

I did pretty good against ness, just need to work on offstage execution. Sonic is tough for me, he forces me into so many bad situations, and I panic and make terrible decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svRbULAwaDI- against Zss, starts at 1:03:00 after the tournament my friend taught how to get out of her up b, lost nearly all my stocks to it.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Was in a tournament last friday. A couple of my matches were recorded. Got 13th. I didn't get any feedback on my last uploads. Please critique if you can

Round 1 - lost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAlddTI1oQw

Round 2 Losers - won
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcG9m7fMoQ0

I won round 1 of Losers against a Link and lost round 3 of losers against a Jigglypuff so any tips against Jiggly would be appreciated.

Watching the first match

- too much air dodging
- too much rolling
- too much spot dodging
- not enough fireball
- recovery is sloppy
- double jump aerials aren't needed for top platform on bf, full hop is fine
- wasting your jumps
- Luigi is -stiff-
- Misfires are a pain in the ass
- Your movement is sloppy

You can't just say "give me tips vs ______ " We don't know what you have trouble with and what you want to know how to deal with.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Watching the first match

- too much air dodging
- too much rolling
- too much spot dodging
- not enough fireball
- recovery is sloppy
- double jump aerials aren't needed for top platform on bf, full hop is fine
- wasting your jumps
- Luigi is -stiff-
- Misfires are a pain in the ***
- Your movement is sloppy

You can't just say "give me tips vs ______ " We don't know what you have trouble with and what you want to know how to deal with.
Thanks for the tips. I usually don't roll that much but when I'm losing I tend to a lot. Same thing with air dodging. Pretty much when I'm not controlling the match, I start playing sloppy. When you say I have sloppy recovery, do you mean that I'm not sweetspotting the ledge? And what do you mean by sloppy movement? Stiff? Some of the things you said are a little vague so I'm just trying to fully understand so I can improve.

And I never said "give me tips". Just asking for advice to help my game as well as some general things against Jigglypuff. Mainly it's her Nair and quick air speed that get me

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Well, if Jigglypuff approaches with an aerial and tries to cross you up.

Usmash, Nair, Uair, Dair, Bair, Fair Oos all work fine

That's all I really know aside from playing smart

Dakpo

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/v/3720893

At roughly 6:16:00 or so, i play NAKAT

first time playing Wii U, so much i need to learn. i realized i got too hungry for roll reads game 2 and that probably cost me that game. i got bopped game 1 though.

cheers guys, hoping i can get better and start takin' names!
You need to attack PK thunder every time, like go after it lol. You also should grab a lot more. Down thrown is our best move. You tried to style way to much ;P but you also got a sick up B roll read

Last edited:

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I understand coaching and cheering your friends on, but wow Nairo's cheerleader was ****ing annoying. It looked to me like J Miller might have been a bit unfamiliar with this match up because he stayed in shield too often. He also should have bair'd at 6:50 instead of fair to get ZSS off stage and get momentum, or up B punish her grab at 6:55. I think not capitalizing at those key points allowed Nairo the opportunity to amass a gigantic % lead, and eventually take the last game.

Anyway, great match. Nairo is great to watch, and so is J Miller.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyWMtfuEXI&t=36m13s
J. Miller vs. Camalange (Sonic).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekwB3c6CRg&t=20m55s
J. Miller vs. StaticManny (Sonic).

GREAT display of patience shown here. He just holds his ground and shields, not letting Sonic fluster him with his attacks. Also, fireball is key here too. Sonic doesn't have any projectiles of his own (well, spring), so it's really important to use that to help you zone Sonic out and keep stage position.

Also if you're interested, I found his other bracket videos from BEAST 5, which aren't available on YouTube's VGBootCamp.

http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/609349654?t=3h49m30s
J. Miller vs. Silent Doom - Pools (Shulk/Olimar)
First match is against a Shulk. He spaces him out well, and really tacks on the damage fairly quickly. Shulk has good range, but his attacks are too slow to keep Luigi at bay. Second match is against Olimar, and his opponent makes a bad stage counter-pick (IMO). Luigi enjoys the platforms, and the low ceiling is always a boon to him.

http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/609785601?t=1h23m28s
J. Miller vs. Leffen (Diddy). Very decisive win, although Leffen played really sloppily and left himself open too much.

http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/609785601?t=2h1m45s
J. Miller vs. Izaw (Sheik/Link). Shows that even against characters with lots of projectiles, he can still hold his own.

Here's the rest of the matches with Weegee :3 Unfortunately for Weegee at APEX, all of the good Weegee players were put in the same bracket :/ (hence his absence in the top 16 :( )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLhNhVvuQZg
IQHQ Gohan vs. Pwnage Police (DDD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfKN367GD4
RedPanda_Sneak vs. PikaPika! (Pikachu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzSRjgM6xpk&t=19m44s
belaC vs. Dark Ether (ZSS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5KeoEi6K4
belaC vs. COG Wizzrobe (Sheik)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elEd5f0c648
SS Mr. Concon vs. IQHQ FatalStryke (DK - Bodied!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hBXt9DmAA
SS Mr. Concon vs. Chef Pac (Pacman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzyWMtfuEXI&t=11m4s
SS Mr. Concon vs. eSPR Bubbleman (Ness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLMZrFM5mDQ
TacoBill vs. HingleMcCringle Berry (Pacman)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTdD3L28Cxw&t=24m45s
LoF False vs. BTGDX (Diddy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWw_9_sl7vU
LoF False vs. DABUZ (RosaLuma)

Not sure why not all of the matches are there, at least from what I could find. Not sure why they wouldn't post all of them :/ Did the stream go down part way or something? Anyone know where to find the rest of the pools? Or were they just not recorded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGIWb_9-jg
EDIT: Was finally able to find J Miller's match against Nairo (ZSS). Unfortunately he loses :( Doesn't help that the spectators are annoying AF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom