• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

E. Gadd's Gallery - Luigi Video and Critique thread

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Zhao, I think you are doing wonders for the Luigi community, especially for the ones who are wary of Luigi's viability in the competitive arena. Your speed and use of Luigi's grab should be an inspiration to any Luigi player. I would perhaps recommend just a little more use of the cyclone to keep the opponent unstable. I think your lightning fast combos with d-throw to nair and beyond are excellent for racking up percents...but I think something needs to change as you prepare to set up a KO. Smart players who know Luigi well will shield the cyclone, but I think it creates opportunities by disrupting whatever they planned to do.

I agree that platforms definitely favor Luigi.

Landing KOs have been my biggest problem. I've been struggling big time on that one and it's cost me leads, stocks, and matches, especially against Lucario. Is there any guaranteed KO set-ups out of grabs or in situations that people know off? I've just been looking for reads for a smash hit or a sweetspot b-air.

I'll definitely look at ways to incorporate more cyclone. It still covers good ground, so it's a nice follow-up or tech chase. Thanks!

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412

Landing KOs have been my biggest problem. I've been struggling big time on that one and it's cost me leads, stocks, and matches, especially against Lucario. Is there any guaranteed KO set-ups out of grabs or in situations that people know off? I've just been looking for reads for a smash hit or a sweetspot b-air.

I'll definitely look at ways to incorporate more cyclone. It still covers good ground, so it's a nice follow-up or tech chase. Thanks!
I know the struggle. On several occasions I've driven a Bowser upwards of 200% before I could land a clean KO.

I don't know of any specifically as of yet, although trying to bait people into a f-smash has been one way of getting a quick KO. I wonder what possibilities there are with the d-tilt since it sort of pops people up.

Also, I'd love to challenge you sometime.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I know the struggle. On several occasions I've driven a Bowser upwards of 200% before I could land a clean KO.

I don't know of any specifically as of yet, although trying to bait people into a f-smash has been one way of getting a quick KO. I wonder what possibilities there are with the d-tilt since it sort of pops people up.

Also, I'd love to challenge you sometime.
Hit me up on here anytime! I'm always looking to play more Luigis :)

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Zhao, you make Luigi seem so fluid, I still play him really stiff, may be me just getting used to the 3DS controls. Anyway in your match against lambndar's sheik, I think you had a fireball lock at around 5:33. Probably could of killed sheik with an up b after as she is pretty light. I feel like it's a bit easier to get in this game, since characters fall faster, like down throw, fair, and if they don't tech, fireball lock (due to fair's low trajectory). I struggle killing too, as it seems Luigi has to play the bait game even more to land up b's and up smashes. Up b's hitbox is now on his hand, and not his elbow. With this in mind, down throw to aerial up b may be a bit easier to land than most Luigi's originally thought. Me and a friend have been experiment with this and have some success with it. Bair and dair are good offstage. Also cyclone is actually a really good aerial kill move (saw this from Luigisama). Air dodges are you useless against it so if your opponent is trying to land from above chase them with it. You can also move it better horizontally compared to brawl.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Been incorporating d-air spikes into my offstage game. It's super sneaky when people try to recover low and it's sooo much easier to hit. Definitely a recommended tool for the edgeguarding game.

I will try and use more cyclone pressure. If I can start reading air dodges better with it, my life will be golden haha. Thanks!

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
You destroyed his Fox in that first round, ha ha. Nice play, I'm liking the offstage game!

L9L

Smash Cadet
NNID
sirshyguy
3DS FC
4596-9684-9176
That down throw to up b looks so good! Can't wait to try it out. Do you have to full hop into the up b or can you just short hop it?

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the character. Most of the time ill double jump,it elevates me faster and if im gonna up b i might as well use my second jump. Some characters, like falcon,fox, and megaman,i find they don't go as high so i would short hop unless they vector upwards where I would do a full hop. I think you need to find what works best for you and remember what that was with each character. It would be a good to write that down. Maybe I should make a list.

Last edited:

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
All I can say is it seemed you were a bit to afraid when DHD through out can. You can hit it back at him with bair or fsmash. The way to look at projectiles is to respect them but don't be afraid of them. You don't want to blindly run in but don't run away or freeze when one comes out. Other than that you mixing it up pretty well. Hope this helps.

cox1121

Smash Cadet
Finally got some matches recorded. Unfortunately it is wifi, but that's as good as I could do considering the circumstances.

Bracket for reference: http://challonge.com/ATLCanSmash3DS

--------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p1XNg56jE4 vs Raziek :4robinf:WR2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApngDCWCADA vs Raziek :4robinf: Loser's Quarters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNdK0AqRAhI vs lambnadr :4sheik: Loser's Semis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYA3tIQOC5E vs. Sqiddwr :4falcon:/:4sheik: Loser's Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptTrXEQC9HA vs. Croi :4mario:/:4lucario: Grand Finals

-------------------------------------------------

I felt I generally picked it up, I think if I had another match with Croi I could've figured out around snagging aura sphere and just smash4 Lucario in general, since I did a lot better the second time around vs Raziek as I figured out how Robin worked, but that's on me for not being able to adapt quickly. I would go in spurts where I would do really well, and then go into auto-pilot where I would spam n-airs or smashes for kills. Definitely gotta work on that.

Any advice/critiques welcome! Also, there's a nice kill in the Loser's Finals set :p

~Zhao_Guang
The Lucario in GF was a joke...all he did was charge aura, shoot, and then run, over and over the entire match. That was brutal just to watch.

Croi

Smash Lord
What the frick did you just fricking say about me, you little biznitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Smash Academy, and I've been involved in numerous smash raids on Masahiro, and I have over 300 confirmed stocks. I am trained in donkeykong warfare and I'm the top camper in the entire Smash Nova Scotia. You are nothing to me but just another Luigi. I will wipe you the frick out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fricking words. You think you can get away with saying that stuff to me over the Internet? Think again, fricker. As we speak I am contacting my Facebook network of Lucarios across Nintendo Network and your Friend Code is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, guy. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fricking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can Smash you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my circle pad. Not only am I extensively trained in charging auras, shooting, and running, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the character select screen and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable byum off the face of the Smashboards, you little stuff. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fricking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you guy. I will stuff furry all over you and you will drown in it. You're fricking dead, kiddo.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
-Croi only uses aura and rolls
-Still beats Zhao with Lucario 3-0

'Zhao_Guang - Only have 1/3 of your controller? You're fine.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
What the frick did you just fricking say about me, you little biznitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Smash Academy, and I've been involved in numerous smash raids on Masahiro, and I have over 300 confirmed stocks. I am trained in donkeykong warfare and I'm the top camper in the entire Smash Nova Scotia. You are nothing to me but just another Luigi. I will wipe you the frick out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fricking words. You think you can get away with saying that stuff to me over the Internet? Think again, fricker. As we speak I am contacting my Facebook network of Lucarios across Nintendo Network and your Friend Code is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, guy. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fricking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can Smash you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my circle pad. Not only am I extensively trained in charging auras, shooting, and running, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the character select screen and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable byum off the face of the Smashboards, you little stuff. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fricking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you guy. I will stuff furry all over you and you will drown in it. You're fricking dead, kiddo.
This is just disturbing. Relax.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
What the frack did you just fracking say to me, you little baznatch?
Exactly what I said. Sure the guy was a bit ignorant with his comments, but saying he's dead and threatening him is over the line. Since mods seem to be absent from Luigi boards this has gone unnoticed, so if you say one more thing like that or insult me like that again, I will report you.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Exactly what I said. Sure the guy was a bit ignorant with his comments, but saying he's dead and threatening him is over the line. Since mods seem to be absent from Luigi boards this has gone unnoticed, so if you say one more thing like that or insult me like that again, I will report you.
He's making a joke and referring to that "I'll have you know i graduated from the navy seals" comment that people make on youtube.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Been struggling against Bowsers lately, would love some tips! Here's a set featuring a solid Boozer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9TAZZ86PSM Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZDOyqRR4zw Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSo1hMxeyuc Game 3

I feel like my biggest weakness is just flat out underestimating Bowser. Like, I know he's better, but I need to respect WHERE and HOW he's better.

Any and all tips welcome! I need to git gud.
Honestly, you played that matchup really well. The problem with bowser is that he is fast AND hits hard on top of it. His fair is amazing against us on the edge because of our recovery and his moves kill us quickly. His up b is rather annoying too because of its multihit and large hitbox, especially out of shield. Against bowsers I usually try to bait out that up b and then punish it, I also try to punish his slow fsmash, if and when he misses. His weight and size is perfect for up b gimps and combos but he can also juggle us pretty well in the air with uair and consecutive fairs. And missing an up b is very bad against bowser because of his strong hits, so use those wisely. Teching those bairs is important by the way; if you get stage spiked, it's done, although i have trouble teching his bair more than other chars for some reason.

I'm also struggling with this matchup tbh, and it's basically just because I'm not respecting really respecting his speed and space, getting juggled easily. It's a tough matchup, imo.

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice

Here's a recent match I played against a Lucina in For Glory. I mainly play Jigglypuff, but decided to switch things up and play with Luigi instead. I would love to hear your critiques on how I play him since I would like to get better in the way I use him.

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
Been struggling against Bowsers lately, would love some tips! Here's a set featuring a solid Boozer

I feel like my biggest weakness is just flat out underestimating Bowser. Like, I know he's better, but I need to respect WHERE and HOW he's better.

Your weegee is amazing, best i've seen but I can help but think you down spot dodge enough. You can sometimes bait bad players by just sanding under them waiting for them to drop down with an attack and punish with Shoryuken. Also I think you should use double aerials more. Weegee can short hop and and dair with enough time to still use other aerials, preferably nair because it "auto cancels" but other than that maybe work on fire ball spacing. Your weegee is looking really amazing, can't wait to see you with an actual controller.

Last edited:

superfrodoh

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-3715-0605

HOw do you do that crouch slide?

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

Honestly that was a great showing. I could only recommend a few minor nitpicks, but honestly that last game was more the misfire screwing you over.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
HOw do you do that crouch slide?
Its basically you jump and then press down until youre in crouch, and then do a quarter circle the other direction, and luigi will crawl dash. On YI, this move can get a lot of distance from those slopes on the edges. I have a tougher time doing it left to right than right to left though, idk why.

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Honestly that was a great showing. I could only recommend a few minor nitpicks, but honestly that last game was more the misfire screwing you over.
Nitpicks are more than recommended! I don't believe I was in my best mindset when playing this set (i.e: just woke up haha) but anything to fine tune my game and become a better luigi is welcome. Let me have it!

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Hi all i'll be posting a video soon of my Luigi gameplay. I hope to get some nice critique on how to get better :)

Ill be posting a match where i feel i did well, then a match where i get wrecked. I just gotta record the first one. The latter will be recorded as soon as i find someone that wrecks me XD

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Got one match of my Luigi on stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee/b/592469954

vs ZSS: for whoever is interested in the MU

Match begins at about 31:30. I wasn't very consistent with my DThrow > UpB this tourney which was pretty disappointing, but I still managed to net a couple KOs with it in this set. Went 2-2 (like last time and the time before,) so next step is doing better than that >.<. Both of my losses were to Axe who was playing for the first time on Wii U, granted his Link is pretty well adjusted...but still :crying:

Comment/critique/question at your leisure, thanks!

EDIT:
Found the youtube version that starts a little later into the match, damn they uploaded quick.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz

Match begins at about 31:30. I wasn't very consistent with my DThrow > UpB this tourney which was pretty disappointing, but I still managed to net a couple KOs with it in this set. Went 2-2 (like last time and the time before,) so next step is doing better than that >.<. Both of my losses were to Axe who was playing for the first time on Wii U, granted his Link is pretty well adjusted...but still :crying:

EDIT:
Found the youtube version that starts a little later into the match, damn they uploaded quick.

I've learned a bit about luigi from watching this.
I know this is off topic but are you the same swoops who played bob in sfxt?

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I've learned a bit about luigi from watching this.
I know this is off topic but are you the same swoops who played bob in sfxt?
Thanks for the watch! I'm glad you found it helpful

And I am that Swoops :grin:

EDIT: For anybody interested. Here is GF from Xanadu yesterday. Boss (Luigi) vs Seagull (Sonic)

Starts at 3:16:35

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/592822158

Looking over this match and others, I had a couple thoughts.
  • While dthrow > follow ups is still a very strong tool, you can tell it's not overly broken due to the opponent DIing unpredictably. Hopefully Sakurai keeps this in mind with future patches :(
  • Boss seems to rise with Luigi cyclone just fine without his double jump. Inhuman button mashing skills, or are we just not digging deep enough with this? Definitely not on Brawl levels of height, but still useful it seems.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace

EDIT:

Man I wish we had 3 stocks at our tourny

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
A very nice kill move I saw Boss do is DThrow > Nair.

I've seen discussions for KO moves regarding Fsmash, DThrow > UpB, sweet spot Hair, and 2nd hit of Dsmash. But I haven't seen people discuss Nair. From the video of Boss, he used it very reliably, along with Backthrow.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
A very nice kill move I saw Boss do is DThrow > Nair.

I've seen discussions for KO moves regarding Fsmash, DThrow > UpB, sweet spot Hair, and 2nd hit of Dsmash. But I haven't seen people discuss Nair. From the video of Boss, he used it very reliably, along with Backthrow.
Yeah Dthrow nair is amazing.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
What is up everyone, Deez here. am a Luigi main in every smash game and i've also 2nd Doc/Mario as well. Since I am here in the Luigi boards, I want to let everyone know I am striving to be the best Luigi in California, with your guys' help of course with showing me the ways to improve my playstyle in any way possible. The VOD wasn't chopped up for the sets, but I do know the times for my matches, I'll keep it to Luigi only while here(however I won't stop you from watching the rest of the sets of my other characters :3). Anyways, this was at a Local in Norcal(Milpitas, CA)and I played against AD(Sheik). I played and lost to him twice.

http://www.twitch.tv/cpsiv/v/3424563
Set 1 time is at 3:13:32

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412

Zhao, I'm just now seeing these but I have some thoughts to share as anything you share deserves my full attention. As always, a stellar performance. I think you're taking too many risks staying near the edge and battling it out with that Bowser. He's got the advantage when he's on stage and you're attempting to get back on and stay offensive.

My suggestion here is to try hitting R when grabbing the edge and safely roll back onto the stage and gain some critical stage space. It's also interesting because it's about the distance of a roll, so you may have an opportunity to bait the opponent to roll that direction, giving you a chance to punish.

It's the least expected recovery. Most opponents expect an attack or a jump from the ledge. I think it gives you a better chance to take back control.

Just a few thoughts. There's more, but your Luigi is my favorite to watch.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Zhao, I'm just now seeing these but I have some thoughts to share as anything you share deserves my full attention. As always, a stellar performance. I think you're taking too many risks staying near the edge and battling it out with that Bowser. He's got the advantage when he's on stage and you're attempting to get back on and stay offensive.

My suggestion here is to try hitting R when grabbing the edge and safely roll back onto the stage and gain some critical stage space. It's also interesting because it's about the distance of a roll, so you may have an opportunity to bait the opponent to roll that direction, giving you a chance to punish.

It's the least expected recovery. Most opponents expect an attack or a jump from the ledge. I think it gives you a better chance to take back control.

Just a few thoughts. There's more, but your Luigi is my favorite to watch.
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I need to start slowing down more; I try to keep the offensive pressure up all the time, and as people are getting better and better at zoning/spacing, it's getting me messed up more than before.

You're 100% right about jumping/attack from the ledge. That's pretty much all I've done :p I'll try mixing it up with different get-up tactics. I played a Bowser last night and I'm getting better at respecting his new options...still not there yet. I think I just need to hammer the match-up a lot. Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated as usual :)

@ The Nutz of Norcal Deez The Nutz of Norcal Deez that empty short hop to cyclone is a wicked mindgame. I love it. I'm definitely going to start doing that more, as well as empty short hop to grab. Looks amazing.

I would say just keep working on the fireball zoning. I generally try to stay on top of Sheik (but outside of tilt range) so she can't settle into a good camping game. Fireball pressure to bait a roll/shield/whiffed attack and punishing them with Luigi's wicked dash grab is the way to live life. Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom