• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 2 Round 2 Match-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
We'll be seeding into four sections, meaning four 1 seeds. Than once we get down to the final four, we'll do another reseed to determine the last match ups. Here they are. Also note we have some new topics thanks to D'OH. Also Round 2 ends on Friday August 15th.

Section 1
# 1 Alt4 vs #4 BengalzRZ
#2 JamStunna vs #3 Lonejedi

Section 2
#1 Hyuga vs #4 Burrito
#2 TOM vs #3 RDK

Section 3
#1 Delorted vs #4 Variola
#2 CF=) vs #3 Dark Hart

Section 4
#1 Blazed vs #4 Vro
#2 DO'H vs #3 ComanderSAL

We added in Ghost Anime in there since he lost a debate that would have earned him a win. We also made a list of reserves for those who lost but, debated well, so if someone drops out, they will be the first to fill-in. Here's that list

Reserves
Ghost Anime
Modest Egoist

Debate Topics:
War
Iraqi Stability as Affected by the War in Iraq
Was the US Right in going to Iraq?
Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just?
Should Canada Pack Up and Go Home?
Was Operation Iraqi Freedom a Success?
Should the U.S. invade Iran?
Should the U.S. pull out of Iraq?

Government
Should the government continue welfare, public school, social security, and Medicare?
Is the Constitution too flexible?
Electoral College vs One Person, One Vote
Has Big Business turned the US to Big Government -Regulations, Restrictions, etc.
What political party America needs right now?
Are Tax Rebates helping the economy?
Do Tax Cuts for the Rich help the economy?
Has the government become corrupt?
Who should be the next president, McCain or Obama?

Religion
Evolution vs. Creationism
Should there be teacher led prayer in Schools?
Should there be prayer in schools period?
Which religion should the US be considered?
Bible vs History

Social Issues
Immigration: Should US have Open Borders
Gay marriage: Should it be Legal
Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included)
Capital Punishment: For or Against
Same-Sex Parent Adoption
Should Marijuana be legal?
Should there be smoking bans?
Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice

Rules and Guidelines
1. Double/Triple posting is aloud.
2. No editing your posts
3. Don't use Wikipedia as a Credible Source

Now on to judging.

You'll be judged on a few things. First off, each judge will give some personal comments to each debate for both contestants. They might compliment you on what you did right, as well as give you some constructive criticism on what you could improve on. Each judge will give a letter grade, and say who they thought won the debate. They will be judging on how well you used sources, if the sources are reliable. They will also be judging on how well you present your side. Don't just list your side, but paint a picture with it. Make it to where you're drawing someone into your side. Most of all, don't be jumping around too much, stay with your topic.

Here are the new topics, these are additonal, any of the older ones can be used.

Wiretapping: Privacy vs. Security
Unipolar vs. Multipolar systems: which is best for world stability
The Three Gorges Dam: good or bad?
Should the US continue to unconditionally support Israel?
China's 'Unconditional Aid for Oil' Strategy vs. the US's 'String's attached' policy
Hegemony vs. Diplomacy
What should the plan for Iraq be?
What role should the UN play in a post-Cold World framework?
What should the function of law be?How should the US act in the Darfur genocide?
Should the US intervene to stop corrupt politics, such as Mugabe in Zimbabwae?
Are safe haven cities justified?

MAKE SURE YOU GET IN CONTACT WITH YOUR OPPONENTS!!!!

As soon as you see this, first of all post here saying you saw this, secondly pm your opponent, decide on a topic, have the affirmative post the topic. Make sure you and your opponent agree on one, don't just choose one you can easily win and assume your opponent will debate it

Topics should look as so

DWYP 2 Round 2.1 Should people with buzzcuts be banned from brawl? Myface vs YourFace

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
ill PM rdk immediately, we have each others AIMs so we should be able to get started quickly

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
"RDK has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Okay so RDK cant get any more PMs (lol @ me, "Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 760."), so Im just going to quote the PM here so he can read it when he gets back. Dude RDK, clear your box out and reply to this svp.

we got match up for dwyp round two =) this is going to be fun haha

we need to decide on a topic to debate on, but in case we dont catch each other on AIM, ill list some that i woudlnt mind doing at all:

Was the US Right in going to Iraq? (i argue yes)
Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just? (i argue yes)

Is the Constitution too flexible? (i argue no)
Who should be the next president, McCain or Obama? (i argue for McCain)

Are safe haven cities justified? (i think he means safe haven cities for illegal immigrants, so i argue no)

get back at me if you dont want to argue those or you have another you would rather do. If you are okay with one of those, then PM me back and the affirmative can make the thread.

I am going to be on vacation next week from saturday to wednesday but that should be the only break in the debate, and ill be active outside of that short window.

good luck dude

Vro

Smash Lord
Seen it, received PM already. What is the deadline for opening statements?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
There really is no deadline, but I would suggest you get them up as soon as possible so you and your partner can get going. I want this round to have no drop outs, or at the worst 1. The sooner all 8 debates are up the better.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
RDK has not replied to my message in this thread and his PM box is full.

RDK's Last Activity: 07-24-2008 03:27 PM

I may need a new opponent... ._.'

D

Deleted member

come on guys, post your topics. Variola, we have our topic, let's do it.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
You guys, this is ridiculous. Seriously. It's been almost a week since I released the match ups, and no ones done anything. Get on the ball Now Guys. IT's not very hard.

Because you guys are procrastinators, Im pushing the deadline back a week. I'll be gone from Friday-Saturday. And Monday- Friday. So get on the ball guys! I know most of you have talked to your partners.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I have yet to hear back from Bengal. I PM'd him pretty much as soon as this was posted too.
Just talked to Bengal on All is Brawl. He totally forgot about it, and said he would be checking it ASAP.

Dark Hart hasn't even said anything. So Im switching out Dark Hart for Ghost Anime. So pm Ghost now.

RDK

Smash Hero
Tom and I have decided on a topic, but he is the affirmative and he has yet to make a thread. Should I just go ahead and make the thread so he can start the debate later?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ugh, PM Modest Egoist. She'll replace him. Seriously guys, how hard is it for someone to contact another person. There are two debates up, and one hasn't started. Many of you said you were basically done talking to your opponent. GET THEM UP NOW!

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I'm backing out. I've been getting increasingly busy as school approaches and I can't find the time. Sorry, DeLoRtEd1.

Amide

Smash Lord
What do I do if I think I've caught someone in the act of plagiarism. Should I tell someone? Or let it go?

D

Deleted member

PM it to the judges, TLink. Variola, that's fine. No worries.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Arturito_Burrito:
Last Activity: 08-11-2008 09:06 PM

I dunno what happened to him.
My uncle had an accident and was hospitalized so I haven't been near a computer in a while. I'm probably not going back home till like the day before school starts so I'm afraid I'll just have to forfeit. I'm spending the night at my cousins house today so I figured I would take the time to let you know.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Maybe you could do some fact checking before you accuse someone of intellectual theft, I dunno.

Kids these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom