• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 2 Round 1 Matchups + Discussion + Checking In

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Alright, Instead of just posting the match ups in the same thread, I'll make a new thread for each round. Some of this stuff will be copy and pasted, but re-read everything to make sure.

Debate Topics:
War
Iraqi Stability as Affected by the War in Iraq
Was the US Right in going to Iraq?
Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just?
Should Canada Pack Up and Go Home?
Was Operation Iraqi Freedom a Success?
Should the U.S. invade Iran?
Should the U.S. pull out of Iraq?

Government
Should the government continue welfare, public school, social security, and Medicare?
Is the Constitution too flexible?
Electoral College vs One Person, One Vote
Has Big Business turned the US to Big Government -Regulations, Restrictions, etc.
What political party America needs right now?
Are Tax Rebates helping the economy?
Do Tax Cuts for the Rich help the economy?
Has the government become corrupt?
Who should be the next president, McCain or Obama?

Religion
Evolution vs. Creationism
Should there be teacher led prayer in Schools?
Should there be prayer in schools period?
Which religion should the US be considered?
Bible vs History

Social Issues
Immigration: Should US have Open Borders
Gay marriage: Should it be Legal
Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included)
Capital Punishment: For or Against
Same-Sex Parent Adoption
Should Marijuana be legal?
Should there be smoking bans?
Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice

Environment
Is Global Warming a Serious Threat?
Should the U.S. begin to focus more on different forms of fueling than oil?
Should the U.S. drill in Alaska?

Next round, we'll be adding more topics, and we'll also seed the bracket.

Rules and Guidelines
1. Double/Triple posting is aloud.
2. No editing your posts
3. Don't use Wikipedia as a Credible Source

Now on to judging.

You'll be judged on a few things. First off, each judge will give some personal comments to each debate for both contestants. They might compliment you on what you did right, as well as give you some constructive criticism on what you could improve on. Each judge will give a letter grade, and say who they thought won the debate. They will be judging on how well you used sources, if the sources are reliable. They will also be judging on how well you present your side. Don't just list your side, but paint a picture with it. Make it to where you're drawing someone into your side. Most of all, don't be jumping around too much, stay with your topic.

Round 1 Match-Ups!

D'OH vs Uncle Donkey
After Dawn vs Delorted
McCloud vs Vro
Alt vs Ghostanime
RDK vs Stroupes
TLink_King vs Blazed
Tomkitty vs Peeze
JediKnightLuigi vs Aesir
Byronman vs JamStunna
Burrito vs Tissue
Variola vs DmBrandon
CF vs DoomDragon
Modest Egoist vs Lonejedi
Hyuga vs Sky
Dark Hart vs Lombardi
BengalRZ vs __V__

Instead of PM'ing me your topic, just talk to your partner, and have the affirmative post the topic. I'll be camping Sunday through Wednesday, so I won't be able to do my debate until, or take any questions. If you have a question, one of the judges can help you. I.E. Alt, Zero Beat, and I'm sure CK can help as well.

Delorted and Afterdawn are both on vacation, and we might have to wait longer than the time frame for their debate. Good Luck. You can start your debates today, but he Dead line is Saturday July 19th.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
The purpose of checking in I know you're looking. I'm going to send a PM to everyone prob tomorrow night, but I need everyone to take the inititive and PM, AIM, MSG their opponent. Last time we had half of the debates. That sucked. If you're reading this, find their aim from the sign ups, and MESSAGE THEM. It would be nice if we had at least 5 debates going on tomorrow.

Remember, you don't need my permission to post the debates. Just make sure the affirmative starts. And have it n this format

DWYP 2 1.1 Somebody vs Somebody Should the U.S. Explore Pluto

Amide

Smash Lord
Checking in. Me and my partner are close to having a topic. I hope I do well, if not, at least I'll be better for next time.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Peeze said:
Hey so we're paired up to debate in DWYP. Um i wont be on till maybe saturday night late(like 10/1030 et) so we can do it then or during the week next week maybe better. I'll let you pick the topic. Peace
Peeze sent me that, so I assume I can check in for both of us. I assume since he will let me pick the topic, I can pick one and then pick the affirmative side for it and make the thread plus make my first post. I will be doing that late tonight when he said he would be online.

D

Deleted member

Checking in. After Dawn, our debate will have to wait - also, Lonejedi, I really would like to judge some of these. I'll be back next Saturday, could I wait until Saturday night to give my thoughts?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think we should add a "Net Neutrality" topic for potential debate.

Oh, and checking in. GhostAnime and I should be starting fairly soon.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I dont understand this topic, if the judges could explain it.
I copied and pasted these from the previous DWYP where I didn't choose the topic. But this is debating whether or not the Bible lines up with actualy documented history. We'll be getting some more tough good debates in Round 2.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
Quick question...Can we have two of the same debates in this round? bBecause me and jam want to pick one that has already been taken...

Amide

Smash Lord
Hold on a tic. Is the deadline for the entire debate July 19th? Or is the deadline for starting our debates july 19th?

If so, when is the deadline for the ending of the debates?

-blazed
It wouldn't really make a difference, because I'm gone for three and a half weeks after he 19th.

Amide

Smash Lord
I got back from another vacation today, and I have talked with my partner previously. We can't find a topic that we disagree on. I don't know much about politics or science, and we agree about religion and social issues. What can we do?
Search other issues not on list, like gun control, torture, affirmative action, 'what should the government's role be,' No Child Left Behind Act.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok, due to some issues, Im extending the due date till later. Ill tack on another week. I just got back from camping, so to all those who sent pms, sorry I couldn't get back. This should give people plenty of time. But once we get down to that group of 16, no johns.

D

Deleted member

I'll be back tomorrow, a day early. I'll be ready to judge then.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I warned doom_dragon through PM that we had to debate but I received no answer yet.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok everyone, most of these guys gave out AIMS, dont' just rely on PM's, take the time to go to the sign up thread, and add their aims, andtry to get a hold of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom