• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dusting off the N64

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
I decided to take out my old N64, that I got for Christmas when I was younger. I took a ton of crappy quality pics for your viewing pleasure.

Here's the N64: I'll keep this thing my whole lifetime if I can. It's a classic console.

Here's my four controllers:

For the longest time, we only had 3. But two years ago, I was in a Gamestop, which no longer carried N64 games or accessories. I noticed a grey N64 controller sitting on the shelf behind the counter. I asked the clerk how much it was, and he immediately handed it to me and told me that someone had given it to them for free since they would not buy it from him, so he just gave it to me for free. What a steal that was!

Unfortunately, all four of the controllers have worn out joysticks, due to me and my friends playing games like Mario Party and Smash on them so much.

Here's our holy smash 64 cartridge:

There's tons of great games for the 64, my first video game was Super Mario 64:

So, let's start up the game, just have to blow into it a few times and it's ready to go.

The intro starts playing, in case you didn't start tapping start:

Look at those cute Yoshi's:

Until finally we see the title screen:

It's always fun playing VS matches on the console:

There's plenty of single player fun though:

And finally, it's always fun to read the character descriptions for nostalgia:

That's about all the pics I took. Do you still have your N64? I'd love to see some pics. It's amazing how this game is still alive today.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I find it funny when I read the character descriptions a while ago for each character of each game (and even the trophies where applicable), and seeing how much they varied and/or changed from one game to the next. I still laugh every time I see Pikachu's red/blue pokedex description :p

S l o X

Smash Champion
It's funny that all the games you have are the ones I once had and probably the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

): I wish I still had them + my N64 though.

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
There's some I'm missing, like Conkers's BFD, the other two Mario parties, the two Zelda's and Kirby 64. I wish I had gotten Kirby 64 back then, playing it now is so much fun, and it probably wouldn't have been to difficult for me as a kid.

walsh

Smash Cadet
Protip: Use your messed up controllers for mario party (I <3 that game) and save the good ones for smash
That f.ucking minigame where the tribal indian shy guy pokes people in the river is the reason I've been through like 9 n64 controllers. that s.hit gets intense when you add alcohol into the equation LOL

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
They're all worn out, unfortunately. Combined me and friends have used them hundreds of hours just playing games like Mario Party. I actually prefer an XBox 360 controller over even a new N64 controller because I've played on it so much now.

I asked malva today during his livestream about if his joystick was worn out. He says he was playing with a worn one but he has some good ones.

It's a shame the joysticks are so bad. Luckily with most games it doesn't matter.

walsh

Smash Cadet
They're all worn out, unfortunately. Combined me and friends have used them hundreds of hours just playing games like Mario Party. I actually prefer an XBox 360 controller over even a new N64 controller because I've played on it so much now.

I asked malva today during his livestream about if his joystick was worn out. He says he was playing with a worn one but he has some good ones.

It's a shame the joysticks are so bad. Luckily with most games it doesn't matter.
you can buy a replacement joystick from the n64's website for 8 bucks, and so long as you know how to work a screwdriver you should have no problem replacing it.

DMoogle

A$
you can buy a replacement joystick from the n64's website for 8 bucks, and so long as you know how to work a screwdriver you should have no problem replacing it.
I just checked their website, and I don't think they sell them anymore. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if good quality joysticks go up in value...

walsh

Smash Cadet
I just checked their website, and I don't think they sell them anymore. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if good quality joysticks go up in value...
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Controller-Thumbstick-Joystick-Replacement/dp/B000F7V2GO

Item is still being carried as of June 15, 2010

Edit: Here's a handy guide for you non-engineer folk.

http://codebook.potchgult.com/stickrepair/stickfix.htm

This site also sells them:

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/shopexd.asp?id=1082

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Amazon has only a few and nintendo repair shop has only 68. In a few years it's going to be quite rare to have a like new joystick.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
I only own 2 controllers, but a friend of my brother and I brought one of his over and leaves it here because we play sometimes.

UnholyWeapon

Smash Apprentice
LOL WoW you've got a nice set of games there! BUT MAY I ASK SIR? WHERE ARE THE ZELDA GAMES AT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have about 5 controllers and 2 n64 systems in my house somewhere. And several games :D

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
There's this new store that just opened up near me. They have all sorts of retro stuff. One thing they let me do was create a "Wishlist"; I can give them a list of games/accessories that I am looking for, and if they ever get one, they'll hold it for me. I made one for Kirby 64, both zelda's, and any N64 Controllers (incase they get ones with good joysticks), and the original NES and SNES :laugh:. They have an N64 with one controller on sale for a mere 25$, I think I'll buy it for the heck of it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Why wouldn't you let another person buy it to spread the love?

My N64 continues to bring me joy

I recently beat DK64 101% again it was glorious (except beaver bother)

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't you let another person buy it to spread the love?

My N64 continues to bring me joy

I recently beat DK64 101% again it was glorious (except beaver bother)
The store is fairly new so there's no games you could buy with it. Few people in my town actually like retro games, it's all Wii and XBox 360. Maybe I'd give it to my friend though who I know likes retro games.

D

Deleted member

n64 is my 2nd fav console, better than the cube (imo) and definitely better than the horrid wii

**** list (no order):

paper mario
golden eye
perfect dark
mario kart 64
mario parties
mario tennis
mario golf
super mario 64
banjo kazooie
jet force gemini
ocarina of time
Majora's Mask <-- best zelda i think
dk 64
star fox 64
pokemon stadium 2 minigames
tony hawk games

the n64's not so good / ****ty games are pretty fun too, only game i regret spending more than 10 hours on was yoshi's story. just wasn't nearly as good as the snes yoshi's island. the homosexual yoshi singing was not very cool either

but i'd say the ps1 is my fav

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I still enjoy playing Paper Mario from time to time. I didn't own many N64 games but the ones I remember were:

Mario Parties
Top Gear Overdrive or something
Mario Kart

I had a Sega Genesis/master Drive prior to that which was just as fun, sonic *****.

All time fav console would be ps2 if only for Final Fantasy X and XII.

JustCause

Smash Cadet
I remember (at 4 years old) wandering around the opening area of Ocarina of Time with a Deku Stick for three weeks or so, because I couldn't find the Kokiri Sword.

Good times, good times.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
n64 is my 2nd fav console, better than the cube (imo) and definitely better than the horrid wii

**** list (no order):

paper mario
golden eye
perfect dark
mario kart 64
mario parties
mario tennis
mario golf
super mario 64
banjo kazooie
jet force gemini
ocarina of time
Majora's Mask <-- best zelda i think
dk 64
star fox 64
pokemon stadium 2 minigames
tony hawk games

the n64's not so good / ****ty games are pretty fun too, only game i regret spending more than 10 hours on was yoshi's story. just wasn't nearly as good as the snes yoshi's island. the homosexual yoshi singing was not very cool either

but i'd say the ps1 is my fav
I like Majora's Mask a lot too. It's a great concept - seeing how people act as their world is ending. Gameplay wise I think OoT edges it but Majora's mask has a better story and atmosphere.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Never understood why OoT is lauded as the best game ever

Always liked Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Super Mario 64, DK64, Majora's Mask better

And yes I did feel the wow factor, it wasn't as strong as SM64 tbh

Best Zelda games are the ones on GBC - Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Olikus

Smash Champion
Selling your N64 is like selling your soul.... At least your childhoodmemories...

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
As I mentioned before, keep your old consoles. When your an old man take them out of the attic and play em. Who would of thought that a video game console could have so many memories.

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I still got mine. Melee caused me to give away the original (and DK64, don't ask) and I'm still kicking myself for it. I've gained and lost a good bit of games over the years.

The wrestling games were my brother's. Games I still have but aren't in the picture are Killer Instinct Gold, Banjo-Tooie, Yoshi's Story and Diddy Kong Racing.

Games I used to have but don't anymore - in addition to the SSB/DK double whammy of shame - are Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, Lego Racers, Cruis'n USA/Exotica, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside and Mortal Kombat 4. MK4, the Cruis'ns and Kobe vanished at some point, the rest I never got back.

Out of the 6 controllers I've ever had, only 3 are left, and one of them came with the system. My bro's dog got a hold of my red one. It still works, but it doesn't look pretty.

I had a combination Memory/Rumble Pak but it broke. Still got a Transfer Pak though.

****, time goes by.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I just added Blast Corp to my N64 collection the other day. Luckily I found a pretty good copy of the game for just five bucks. :)

Top Bottom