• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dustbowl V Back to Basics! March 2nd! - March 2nd, 2013 - Syracuse, Ny

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
https://www.facebook.com/DustbowlTournamentSeries
https://www.facebook.com/events/309136485854279/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Because of our amazingly efficient and well run tournament at the last Dustbowl (thanks to yours truly =P) Smash will once again be included in the next iteration of the best biggest fighting game tournament in the Upstate New York area. And to make it even bigger, we will be having a Melee event this time around as well in addition to the staple fighters. SFAE2012, UMvC3 and TTT2. During the event I will also be poling entrants to gauge logistics and interest in doubles for both games

And to help expedite the running of the event, i am naming Beta as an assistant TO for both smash games,so that there will be an established person there to handle matters related to the event when i am busy with my own matches

By going back to basics, Damus and the rest of us as TOs will be fixing many of the errors made at the last event. We will make sure the brackets get recorded and results are posted. We are also happy to announce a change in venue to Cloud City Comics in Syracuse, NY. This will ensure all attendees will have the space necessary to enjoy their experience to the full. This time around we are looking for just as much support, and then some from all the fighters in the state, as well as the surrounding areas.

WHO WILL BE LEFT STANDING WHEN THE DUST CLEARS?

Brawl Rules
3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
Meta Knight is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 150%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Instances of stalling will be judged at a TOs (that means me) discretion. I suggest that you not test me on this issue, because I do intentionally look for chances to DQ people on this. It makes me happy to do it. Punishments will range from a warning to a stock loss to a set loss.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with a player initiating a suicide move (like kirbys swallowcide), the player who initiate the move will receive the win for that game.

Stage list:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Pokémon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Melee Rules
4 Stocks
7 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
Meta Knight is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 150%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Instances of stalling will be judged at a TOs (that means me) discretion. I suggest that you not test me on this issue, because I do intentionally look for chances to DQ people on this. It makes me happy to do it. Punishments will range from a warning to a stock loss to a set loss.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with a player initiating a suicide move (like kirbys swallowcide), the player who initiate the move will receive the win for that game.

Stage List:
Final Destination
Little Battlefield (Yoshi's Island)
Medium Battlefield (Battlefield)
Big Battlefield (Dreamland)
Moving Battlefield (Fountain of Dreams)
Pokemon Stadium*

*PS will not be used for the first stage striking.

Set Procedure

1. [1]Player Ports is determined if it can not be agreed on.
    [2] Each Player selects their character. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
    [3] The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Full Legal Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1-1-1... (Player 1 strikes a stage, followed by Player 2 striking a stage, and so on until one stage is left to play game one on).
    [4] The first match is played.
    [5] The Player that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
    [6] The Player that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Full Legal Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Player may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Player that has already won on that Stage in this set.
    [7] The Player that won the previous match chooses a character.
    [8] The Player that lost the previous match chooses a character
    [9] The next match is played.
    [10] Repeat steps 5-9 for all proceeding matches. 2 out of 3 games for all sets, except winners, losers and grand finals, which will be 3 games out of 5.

Conduct Rules

BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
In the case of a match being paused (except in the case of confirmed death), the offending party is at the mercy of his opponent, punishment for pausing is a stock loss for a first offense and a automatic game loss for a second offense. The opponent, may choose to make no action, and 'let it rock' and continue the match without penalizing the pauser.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
Regarding textures and other game hacks:
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
The URC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks. Though minimal and non-distracting stages, music and character hacks are acceptable.
Disrupting your opponent physically will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
the facebook post for this is kinda ****ed up. damus calls it "Something specials smash players" ???? why cant he just say Super smash bros Melee and super smash bros brawl, or better yet how bout he just posts a link to this thread since our ruleset is considerably longer then the other games thats fine. If hes just trying to say "and something special for the smash players" then im sorry for over reacting it just feels like hes putting us down idk.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
He put that up before he saw the thread.

Hell, i dont even think Ive told him that this thread is up yet.

Also, dont be so quick to judge. It was his idea to give you free entry for this one for helping so much last time.

Hes basically just willfully ignorant of all things smash. Trust me enough to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesnt mean anything offensive towards smashers. Its just that as much of himself as he puts into the games he actually plays, he doesnt concern himself much with smash stuff that he puts me in charge of.

:phone:

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Also, dont be so quick to judge.
ya i dont disagree, even in my post I felt I was in the wrong. It was for sure a gut reaction, and his bringing back of smash shows more then some facebook post. Also Ill make sure to personally thank him for bringing back smash and for the free entry stuff.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Bring Vishal.

Ima body him.

And lol at no skillz cockiness. Boy wins one scrub tournament (that i should have been at, grrrrrr...) And gets all full of himself lol

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i told vishal about it, we'll see =D

Turns out it's cheaper to take greyhound to buffalo and then amtrak to syracuse than to go greyhound all the way =)

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Oh **** MK is banned in Melee. Things just got serious.

Depending on where I am and what I'm doing in March, I want to make this.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Needs more albany/troy. I still havent met a long of those guys

Plus you guys are getting better, but you still havent caught up to me quite yet

Mada mada dane ;)

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
can i borrow a train from anyone so i can get there ofr free? TIA

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
would any one be able to pick me up from ithaca for this? also this stage list is awful, brinstar and rainbow cruise? really?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
low on money, probably not attending :( sorry guys canada is bailing

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Send vishal. I would say send Ben too but his meal ticket is still banned so hes gonna cop out and try to bag on my event again.
Also, somebody get a hold of kirbykaze. Tell him to come, but leave the violent ****** on a leash at home

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Send vishal. I would say send Ben too but his meal ticket is still banned so hes gonna cop out and try to bag on my event again.
Also, somebody get a hold of kirbykaze. Tell him to come, but leave the violent ****** on a leash at home

ya he would really love to come to a local, especially after ya insult his homie.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Its gonna be bigger than the last cuse tourney he came to. In an actual venue with enough spacw to breathe...

And i love KK. One of my favorite ppl in the melee scene, but if that makeshim not want to come, than so be it.

Edit. I missed aquas comment, stage list has a lot of room to expand when you dont have mk sharking planking and scrooging all over the place.

LASTLY PLEASE, ANYBODY WHO CAN, BRING SET UPS AND TVS PLEASE.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Vishal, Ben, and I actually just traveled to a MK-banned tourney in Ohio this weekend.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. No there is no teams. I want to make sure smash finishes completely in the alloted time.

2. Stef, can you link me to the results thread for that?

3. I making a small change to the logistics on this event. Instead of JesiahTEG and Sharky, my co TOs will be Beta for Melee and Leet-0 for Brawl.

4. The only reason the last tournament even happened was because beta brought 4 tvs and 2 systems. In order for this one to not be a disaster, im going to need double the set ups. Which means i need everyone that can, to bring wiis, gamecubes and ESPECIALLY TVs. Between now and then im going to try and come up with some kind of reward for those that do. Maybea raffle or reduced venue fee.

Lastly, i will be bringing a mystery game that all can challenge me in for a very small cost for a chance to win a very large prize. More details on this soon.

Eaode

Smash Champion
150% seems a little low to constitute stalling, imo. There are stages/matchups where 150% doesn't guarantee a kill out of your infinite, and therefore continuing has strategic merit other than stalling.

But in the end it only really applies to IC's and I don't actually care.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I answered this in the thread for the last tournament but ill indulge you anyway.

First of all, who decided that an infinite has to go to kill percents before it ends. And as a follow up to that, what game, or matchup could someone ever lose if they were given a 150% lead every stock? The chain or combo still fulfills its purpose.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
TBH i really would travel to this again, but not only do i have money johns, i also have school johns

america probably won't see me again for a long time unless i get that job at nintendo in NYC

peace out y'all!

Eaode

Smash Champion
I answered this in the thread for the last tournament but ill indulge you anyway.

First of all, who decided that an infinite has to go to kill percents before it ends. And as a follow up to that, what game, or matchup could someone ever lose if they were given a 150% lead every stock? The chain or combo still fulfills its purpose.

:p

Because the rule states this in regards to stalling. Yet you just implied that this rule is used to cut short a combo that you think is "too long." If a player is able to combo to kill %, shouldn't they?

Also the speculation as to whether they need to (or "could lose") with access to such a combo is irrelevant. The rule pertains to stalling, not to comboing.

This is all just good and fun intellectual sport mind you. I mean unless an IC's player comes along who really wants to see the result of this conjecture...

Top Bottom