• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dthrow: Its freaking good

D

Deleted member

Yes im doin a series of these threads about certain moves that i think are either underused, underappreciated, or not used as well as they could be.

Now, i just started using dthrow due to the fact that it does a measly 4 damage, and i didnt know any good follow ups. Uairing never works against anyone decent, and most other things just didnt seem worth it. After all, bthrow and fthrow do 8 and allow you to get space to camp some moar. How wrong i was.
Most of this stuff applies up to around 50%

Lets look at all of the followups we have:
1. Uair. Its really predictable but if you bait and airdodge it could work. Not my prefered followup usually.
2. Usmash (at low percents). Many are decieved by how much foward range it has, so you can charge it and try and nab them when they dont expect the hitbox to go quite so far forward.
3. Regrab. This is the main thing i like about dthrow. It makes it very dangerous if your opponent doesnt know how to handle it, and even if they do, its gonna give them trouble. The main way to regrab is run behind and pivot grab, however you can run forward and do a standing grab if they expect that.
4. Nothing. See their reaction so next time you will be able to act accordingly.

Alone, all of these follow ups are easily countered after the first time. Together, your opponent will need to struggle to read which option you are going to do.

I wish i had vids but ill write out an application that i did:
Burntsocks vs Mogx(best kirby on the west coast):
First stock: Hes spacing bairs and i go for a grab and luckily get it. Dthrow, he tries to bair me , run behind and pivot grab, he tries to dair this time, empty short hop to standing grab, dthrow, he jumps away, rising uair.

Hooray. Please dont be limited by this either, experiment w/ your own followups.

Airborne

Smash Lord
the dthrow damage makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.
Example:
Snakes dthrow (where he lies you down gently... aka the sleeper hold...) does 12%
Yoshi's violently slams the opponent onto the ground.... for 4%?!?!?! I declare shenanigans!!!

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Example:
Snakes dthrow (where he lies you down gently... aka the sleeper hold...) does 12%
Yoshi's violently slams the opponent onto the ground.... for 4%?!?!?! I declare shenanigans!!!
Yeah but all of Brawl's damage is adjusted to make no sense. Jigglypuff kicks someone. 12%. Falco shoots someone with a gun. 3%.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Yoshi opens his mouth, wraps his tongue around you, digests you, lets you through his reproductive system, and poops you out into an egg, and it does no damage. Sakurai is on crack ._.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Example:
Yeah but all of Brawl's damage is adjusted to make no sense. Jigglypuff kicks someone. 12%. Falco shoots someone with a gun. 3%.
Yoshi opens his mouth, wraps his tongue around you, digests you, lets you through his reproductive system, and poops you out into an egg, and it does no damage. Sakurai is on crack ._.
True That, Snake's C4 should OHKO (it's a ******* C4).
lulz
****ing win

.Marik

is a social misfit
DThrow is amazing, in my opinion.

While it may not do that much damage, it's great for mindgames and combos. (As far as combos go in Brawl)

DThrow, then spam eggs, and maybe perform an Uair/UTilt. Time it right, and it does crazy damage. Against opponents who really have no clue what they are doing, maybe you even have time for an USmash or FSmash. And don't forget Nair's. ;)

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i agree with burntsocks but in som areas a up throw accomplishes da same thing and does an extra 1% =O, i usually use it on battlefield on the top platforum and predict there way down. just to get them above yoshi helps alot

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Example:
I thought Snake's d-throw basically pinches your nerve or whatever. That might hurt.

D

Deleted member

I beg to differ. Down tilt is much worse.

The best is probably Up Taunt.
Haha touche..

I meant REAL followups haha, not dtilt =P

Why egg, its the most obvious, easiest to dodge followup you can do, it will almost never hit against people who know how to airdodge, etc etc.

As a mixup, maybe after doing a few other followups, it could be effective, but as a MAIN followup, its kinda garbage, and it really doesnt utilize the potential of the move.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to follow the egg with an u-smash? If they airdodge the egg they would get smashed in the face. (theoretically)

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
Sure the Egg does not do uber dmg, but what it does is annoys your opponent and you can get them to do what you want, running or jumping into the opponent and having them airdodge and u miss, gives them the edge in the match again, I like keeping the off guard and staying in control.

D

Deleted member

Not really, for most characters, they fall fast enough that you will still be in lag while throwing the egg. Depends on percents, but if you wanna egg, be my guest, regrabs are way better though.

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
usually they double jump into the egg, for they fear that they will be grabbed again, since most opponents I face fear the Chain Grab more than anything else.

Top Bottom