• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DS Marth

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
idk about unloved. American nubs love FE8 but would cry their eyes out at how difficult FE5 is, so who knows.
Well FE isn't exactly a series for American nubs. I can't tell you how many people I know lost interest when they heard that it took an ounce of brain power to play (and by that I mean its a strategy game.)

It kind of makes me ashamed to be American. But oh well, I love the series for the reason that most Americans dislike it.

FE players who have played any game other than Sacred Stones will tell you how much SS sucks in comparison (its not a bad game... its just not up to the FE standard.)

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Well FE isn't exactly a series for American nubs. I can't tell you how many people I know lost interest when they heard that it took an ounce of brain power to play (and by that I mean its a strategy game.)

It kind of makes me ashamed to be American. But oh well, I love the series for the reason that most Americans dislike it.

FE players who have played any game other than Sacred Stones will tell you how much SS sucks in comparison (its not a bad game... its just not up to the FE standard.)
True, but when they added Ike they were more appealing to American kids, otherwise they would have just kept Roy. I doubt they would have even kept Marth if not for the upcoming re-release of FE1.

And FE8 was way too easy and not up to standards, I don't think I played it more than twice lol but it was alright. Cool character and monster design.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
True, but when they added Ike they were more appealing to American kids, otherwise they would have just kept Roy. I doubt they would have even kept Marth if not for the upcoming re-release of FE1.

And FE8 was way too easy and not up to standards, I don't think I played it more than twice lol but it was alright. Cool character and monster design.
Ike is an advertising tool true....

But it doesn't help sell the series in America much. It just makes people say "OOOH A BUFF GUY WITH A SWORD, I'M PLAYING AS HIM!" Then if they are even remotely interested in the series because of its awesome characters, they will probably not buy it after finding out its a strategy game.

Americans, in general, are some of the stupidest people on earth. They would rather play Wii-Music than work their brain.

Earthbound Zero

Smash Journeyman
Most are :p

Especially teenagers. They don't wanna play a game where they don't get instant satisfaction, therefore you get cursing, ******** noobs on XboxLive playing games like Shwaylo 3 and COD4
I agree with that. xD My friends keep pressuring me to get a 360, but I always say I'm fine with my Wii.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I agree with that. xD My friends keep pressuring me to get a 360, but I always say I'm fine with my Wii.
Well don't get me wrong, I love the 360 too, in fact I own more 360 games than Wii games (Or rather my brother does) but stupid overrated games like Gaylo are just signs of American teenage ignorance

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well don't get me wrong, I love the 360 too, in fact I own more 360 games than Wii games (Or rather my brother does) but stupid overrated games like Gaylo are just signs of American teenage ignorance
Lets be fair. Yes Gaylo is over-rated. But it is way better than any shooter on the Wii.

But I wish that Fire Emblem were more popular here. That would pretty much ensure atleast one more character slot for the next Smash Bros. and I would imagine that they would be more willing to remake the old FE's.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem is basically dying off everywhere. Apparently including its main fanbase in Japan as well.

Although I'd say Sheeda would probably get in first before Lyndis. Probably because it seems Assist Trophies are often characters that would be too redundant to add onto the roster/could not work out well as a character.

Lyn seems to fit in the former as a sword user. Sheeda could use both lances and swords, so perhaps that alone may ensure her a better chance.

But it seems Smash is going to go downhill from here anyway. Sakurai has to undo the mess that is Brawl to appeal to us, or continually go forth with it to further satisfy the casual audience that still thinks Fox and Sheik are broken.

I for some reason doubt a good compromise will occur.

And because of this, he will leave the niche competitive fanbase to favor the larger casual audience.

What are we talking about again?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem is basically dying off everywhere. Apparently including its main fanbase in Japan as well.

Although I'd say Sheeda would probably get in first before Lyndis. Probably because it seems Assist Trophies are often characters that would be too redundant to add onto the roster/could not work out well as a character.

Lyn seems to fit in the former as a sword user. Sheeda could use both lances and swords, so perhaps that alone may ensure her a better chance.

But it seems Smash is going to go downhill from here anyway. Sakurai has to undo the mess that is Brawl to appeal to us, or continually go forth with it to further satisfy the casual audience that still thinks Fox and Sheik are broken.

I for some reason doubt a good compromise will occur.

And because of this, he will leave the niche competitive fanbase to favor the larger casual audience.

What are we talking about again?
Why so negative? :(

VietGeek

Smash Hero
What? No! Explain.
I for some reason can't find sales figures, but the Shadow Dragon (DS) GameFAQs board was talking about this probably being the last game. You can also see from Reviewer Rates how the game's ratings have decreased as more and more are released. Reviewers act similar to a regular purchaser (like not a fanboy), and you can kinda understand how sales and reviews somewhat correlate (doesn't always work this way, but you get the point).

Why so negative? :(
Well, from a developer's point of view, why get rid of something if it still 'works'? The final smashes, gimmicky stages, assist trophies, items, characters...

The thing is, everyone wants more of something. Brawl delivers this. But with more, it becomes consistently harder to balance a game. Note unlike other fighters, or that competitive game called Pogaymanz, Smash is catered to casual audiences.

So the casual audience expects more Assist Trophies, Poke Ball Pokemon, characters, stages, music, Wi-Fi options, Single Player mode, items, etc.

And so he will deliver more. I doubt Sakurai would think of getting rid of features simply because in a 1 on 1 setting, it is overpowering and unfair. This is the same man that believes we should laugh at each other as we trip and fall into stage hazards and get killed by bombs at 50%.

It simply won't work in our favor. If it did, he'll reduce the number of casual features and focus more on 1 on 1 balancing, he would try to balance out the strength of items, he would get rid of tripping, but as we have seen...

more is better. So if you think Brawl is crap...you'll probably fee the same for Smash 4.

Really, what are we talking about? I'm just ranting. I'm about as coherent as Coda.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I for some reason can't find sales figures, but the Shadow Dragon (DS) GameFAQs board was talking about this probably being the last game. You can also see from Reviewer Rates how the game's ratings have decreased as more and more are released. Reviewers act similar to a regular purchaser (like not a fanboy), and you can kinda understand how sales and reviews somewhat correlate (doesn't always work this way, but you get the point).
What does GameFAQ's know?

At any rate, I pray that you are wrong. The series has so much potential to be even better than it already is, especially if they take advantage of remakes. I want to see it become one of Nintendo's Big 5.

If you want to see a dying series.... take a look at Star Fox.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Lol, since when have GameFAQs members been a reliable source of info?

Anyways, Radiant Dawn sold the third most for a Fire Emblem game, ever. Just barely under FE 3.

Recently, every Fire Emblem game has been selling more than it's predecessor. With the exception of Dawn of Radiance, that is.

FE10>FE8>FE7>FE9

I guess we'll see if FE 11 continues that trend.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Lol, since when have GameFAQs members been a reliable source of info?

Anyways, Radiant Dawn sold the third most for a Fire Emblem game, ever. Just barely under FE 3.

Recently, every Fire Emblem game has been selling more than it's predecessor. With the exception of Dawn of Radiance, that is.

FE10>FE8>FE7>FE9

I guess we'll see if FE 11 continues that trend.
Sounds like the series is doing very well to me.

FE 10 sold a lot more than FE 9 because Ike was put into Brawl not to long after FE10, making its sales skyrocket with all the OMG IKE'S IN THIS GAME noobs.

FE8 was the only casual Fire Emblem, so I can see where its sales were coming from. Also I think a lot of its sales were false expectations after the great success that was FE7. Of course it disappointed dedicated fans.

I don't know why FE9 has so few sales. Very odd.

I predict that FE 11 will be a great seller. The DS dominates the handheld market (unlike the Wii, which sells less than the XBOX 360) and Marth has become a popular character (though not as popular as Ike.)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Sounds like the series is doing very well to me.

FE 10 sold a lot more than FE 9 because Ike was put into Brawl not to long after FE10, making its sales skyrocket with all the OMG IKE'S IN THIS GAME noobs.

FE8 was the only casual Fire Emblem, so I can see where its sales were coming from. Also I think a lot of its sales were false expectations after the great success that was FE7. Of course it disappointed dedicated fans.

I don't know why FE9 has so few sales. Very odd.

I predict that FE 11 will be a great seller. The DS dominates the handheld market (unlike the Wii, which sells less than the XBOX 360) and Marth has become a popular character (though not as popular as Ike.)
Err, not exactly. Both the Wii and DS have the most hardware sells in Console and handheld sales respectively. Though I believe 360 does have more software sales.

Interesting points you made, though. FE 9 was doomed to fail being on the GCN and all...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If you want to see a dying series.... take a look at Star Fox.
I deny that being a franchise.

I bet Carnival Games sells more than Star Fox games at this point.

Anyway, I simply took the word of avid FE fans, which for some reason hang out at one of the shadiest gaming forums to date. Whether or not I'm wrong about it doesn't really bother me at all.

I hope the FE games will succeed, because like, I play them and stuff.

Plus I need a fix for my Anime girl army fetish, which is always well achieved via the FE games.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well the 360 definitely ***** in Software sales.

Well you may have countered my point, but the DS holds its market without much contest at all.

The Wii on the other hand has a lot of competition.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Until nintendo makes games for it's hardore fanbase, my wii wont be played outside of brawl.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Well the 360 definitely ***** in Software sales.

Well you may have countered my point, but the DS holds its market without much contest at all.

The Wii on the other hand has a lot of competition.
The Wii fails in satisfying people like me and the many people that want 'great' titles. The 360 has better online by far and better fighting games. Look at Mario Kart Wii and compare it to MK64. Look at Brawl and compare it to Melee or SSB64. They are betraying us for the younger and older people because they want money (its all part of the game really). Nintendo thinks games for the hardcore crowd dont "sell" because they are accustomed to getting 2 to 3 times the amount of sales of Microsoft and Sony because there stretched the range of people that play games. Nintendo is making games for 4-15 year olds and people 50+ years old. They are going to have more sales...but crappy games. They are forgetting the people that brought them to where they are now...really freaking p***** me off....sigh...

*ends rant*

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Until nintendo makes games for it's hardore fanbase, my wii wont be played outside of brawl.
Well, we do have Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn... thats about as hard core as a game can get, especially with its difficulty level.

One great thing about the series, is that it can't become casual (atleast not more casual than the Sacred Stones) or it will die. The majority of casual gamers despise strategy games and most RPG's.

Popertop

Smash Champion

Sacred Stones was terrible.

I would love to get my hands ona a translated version of FE5.
Don't have the time right now unfortunately.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
DS marth<Current marth.
DS Marth is the current Marth.

Also, everyone, Marth was never overly feminine until Smash Bros (besides manga, which are obviously non-canon). Everyone's complaints that he is too manly is moot, because he's more accurate in this iteration in unique appearance than the Smash Brawl Marth is.

Also, stop using GameFAQs as a source of information. The board is overrun with trolls, with more posters that hate FE than there are actual fans.

I have FEDS. It is a very good game, and does the FE franchise justice, especially if you love classic FE.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
DS Marth is the current Marth.

Also, everyone, Marth was never overly feminine until Smash Bros (besides manga, which are obviously non-canon). Everyone's complaints that he is too manly is moot, because he's more accurate in this iteration in unique appearance than the Smash Brawl Marth is.

Also, stop using GameFAQs as a source of information. The board is overrun with trolls, with more posters that hate FE than there are actual fans.

I have FEDS. It is a very good game, and does the FE franchise justice, especially if you love classic FE.
Thank you.

So I can assume American FE fans like me will have something really great to look forward to?

Quality wise, how would it compare to the 4 FE's already in America?

Top Bottom