• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dropping Doubles

sorasin

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't care less about the history of doubles. So glad Wife addressed the elephant in the room which is that doubles needs to go for smash to expand further. It takes too much time, serves too little of the community, and isn't interesting to watch.
Then maybe you should run your own tournaments and not run doubles. AZ gives perfectly good scenarios where it would be beneficial to run doubles, and scenarios where it is an option. Getting rid of doubles outright is a ridiculous notion, simply because it's up to the TO whether it is an event or not.

sorasin

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't care less about the history of doubles. So glad Wife addressed the elephant in the room which is that doubles needs to go for smash to expand further. It takes too much time, serves too little of the community, and isn't interesting to watch.
Then maybe you should run your own tournaments and not run doubles. AZ gives perfectly good scenarios where it would be beneficial to run doubles, and scenarios where it is an option. Getting rid of doubles outright is a ridiculous notion, simply because it's up to the TO whether it is an event or not.

Signia

Smash Lord
I never realized having Doubles caused that big of an issue. They could always be a side event. Not a main event. I always thought that playing doubles made you a much better player due to how precise and patient you needed to be because you have 3 to account for versus having only 1 other player to account for. Increasing precision and patience makes you a much better player in singles overall.
I've only seen people play worse after switching to singles after playing doubles. People just seem to "do stuff" in doubles and that gets them wrecked in singles.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I've only seen people play worse after switching to singles after playing doubles. People just seem to "do stuff" in doubles and that gets them wrecked in singles.
That depends on the players.
You cannot just spam moves in doubles because you have a teammate to worry about. Working together is the key. It's a whole different beast. I was only saying I felt it improve your fundamentals.

Signia

Smash Lord
That depends on the players.
You cannot just spam moves in doubles because you have a teammate to worry about. Working together is the key. It's a whole different beast. I was only saying I felt it improve your fundamentals.
Weird, I get the exact opposite impression. But what are smash fundamentals anyway...

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Weird, I get the exact opposite impression. But what are smash fundamentals anyway...
Teching, tech rolling, tech chasing, knowing when to use what move, shielding, knowing how to get somewhat predict opponents actions based on the situation, etc. Basics essentially.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Doubles shouldn't be removed. We just need to stop streaming multiple games at one tournament so that time doesn't run over.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
I propose we get MLG to do Melee Singles and Brawl Doubles. This would bring the hype

po pimpus

Smash Ace
A terrible idea. Simply terrible... What has happened in the ten years since I joined this community that has made everyone so weak-willed, yet arrogant and entitled?

Very disappointed with Wife. My respect for him just evaporated.

Kel

Smash Master
Oh **** mom, I'm on the front page of smashboards!

Also, little Col Bol is clearly not enjoying doubles as much as everyone else.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Right on. I think sometimes doubles are cool though, because they really are a lot of fun. I will probably still enjoy playing doubles in friendlies. They're a whole new element.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
I really don't care about doubles, sure they are good on the side but singles is the main event in my eyes. It is the skill of one person matched against another, which means you have no one to save your ass or accidentally kill you. There is really nothing I enjoy more than beating people by myself, it's an incredible feat beating anyone no matter their skill. Also there is no feeling like losing singles because It's all your fault and you had no one to carry the match for you. Despite all this I respect doubles due to that fact that people have to be super in sync with each other to do well (most of the time). And it is also fun but I really don't care like i said I don't hate doubles, I just like singles more because it is more exhilarating .

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with Wife, we should make way for Melee singles and Crew Battles. It can also make more time for Project M singles. It would make the singles prize money bigger and it could increase the amount of people in the money.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I did not know it was even an issue these days for people. Seems like an issue popping out of no where. There probably just needs to be more separate events. I do not mean events at a single tournament. I mean literally having more tournaments dedicated to only a specific game. If anything, I think its a dreadful idea to run so many events at a single tournament.

From my perspective, I only want to enter one game type at a tournament rather than trying to do both brawl and melee at the same one.
I agree with this. I personally feel if time is such a strong constraint, then tournaments should dedicated to one type of game. While I'm not a Doubles Player, I feel they're a unique part of Smash that can sometimes be exciting to watch, and they should stay as long as there is the dedication for it.

Domo-dono

Smash Cadet
NNID
K3ptSecret
3DS FC
4425-2815-8686
Sounds to me like we need to do a poll to see how many people are actually 'for' and 'against' doubles matches.

Hukster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hukster
Doubles better stay, some people are better at doubles. I, for one is a doubles player. Plus, doubles has cool, different combos you can do.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Personally I feel like doubles are already a big part of the Smash Bros. community. They bring more people into the community, and give new players more "seat" time to play at their first few tournaments, if they can convince a friend to come. Thats two people having a chance to join the community, instead of one. How exactly is that a bad thing? +Think of it this way, banning MK in brawl resulted in debates and countless arguments, and after all that resulted in the ban being lifted. & that was ONE character in ONE version of the game...Just imagine the trouble trying to remove doubles from the smash bros community would do, it would cause more damage too the community, then it would growth. & more importantly it would split the smash bros community even more, something that we don't want if we want smash bros to be taken seriously as a fighting game...

Top Bottom