• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power!! Currently going through a transition. HINT FOR WEEK 12!!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nothing you've said has clarified a thing. I suspected you'd take that route. All in all, your problem lies in the fact that my Zelda is drawn realistically. How can an imaginative character such as Zelda be drawn in this level of realism without my seeking out the real Zelda, and having her pose for me? If I had done some cartoon, even a quick one, it'd be perfectly fine. I could much more easily make her look like Zelda... and you'd have nothing to complain over. I'm taking an ACTUAL being on this planet, and using her as my basis for how I think Zelda should look, if you don't see it that way that's fine. Nothing I say or do will change that. I've already pointed out your flaws, which you've passed off because you said the other drawings didn't have a chance. That doesn't justify you condemning my work.
Where do you get that that's where my problem lies? Draw it as realistically as you want, just make it look like Zelda. Everything about your picture isn't at all like the princess, except for skin color. Hair style, facial structure, lip size. A lot of your drawing is completely unlike Zelda.

To give this model more of a Zelda-esque appeal, I planned on glorifying a triforce tattoo, regardless of your opinion. I also considered adding some sort of shoulder related padding, though, I was most certainly going to craft some sort of lingerie to connect from her bra, and panties, which would be modified to suit the lingerie. Said lingerie would be inspired by her dress. If this was completed as I envision, which I clearly stated I was unable to do by the deadline, would it be acceptable to you? If not, you're just outright rediculous. Seriously.
If you had made it look enough like the dress, then yes I would've seen this piece as a realistic interpretation of an older Zelda. Of course, since you didn't have that, this piece is still not of Zelda. Hell, if you've had that, I would've voted for ya.

I think it's amazing how adamant you are on me not winning. I think it's extremely cruel of you, and otherwise just a lame thing to do. I worked very hard on this picture, it's definately my best drawing to date, and to me, this is Zelda, in real life. Once finished, that point will be driven home.
It's nothing against your artistic ability. The drawing is done amazingly well. But, it just does not look like Zelda at all. This is why you should not win.

Why is it you simply can't understand what I've said? You mentioned showing it to people and asking them if it looks like Zelda. LoL. okay, fine do it. They'll say it doesn't and I've already acknowledged this, why haven't you? I'm not far enough along in the image for it to be immediately identifiable as Zelda.
The don't post it as an entry in a contest that has to do with drawings of Zelda. You've just admitted that your current piece does not follow the subject matter.

Arguing on the internet, heck even defending oneself on the internet is an utterly fruitless effort. If you really can't appreciate a single bit of my now 16hour effort, not even enough to allow people to vote me in any category then... all I can say is you're an amazingly despicable person.
I have said several times that it is amazingly done, but just not a picture of Zelda. Read my posts.

Thanks for your time, I've spent too much time with this rediculous crap. So much time has been lost responding to you, so much time that I had wished to spend working on my drawing. Thanks. No, really, thank you.

Go ahead, work on it. I want to see the final product. If you manage to make it look like Zelda, I might change my vote to you, assuming the quality of it is as good as the current picture's quality.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Ah.

Thank you for the comments, but... It was a bit unnecessary. This picture was made four months ago, and it was more of a sketch than anything else. I do work a LOT with color and shading, as exampled here, here and here.

But I guess you didn't know that, so thank you for the comments. Much appreciated, any help is always appreciated. Next week when (or if) I make a better entry for this, I'd like to hear your comments on it again. (:

EDIT: Don't fight over my pictures, guys. D: And thanks to everyone who voted for me!
Great! I checked out the links you provided good stuff! I stand corrected! ;)

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the advise, even if you already knew what I had to offer. ;) That bit on the shading was also meant for everyone in this thread who may have been afraid to take that step. It wasn't supposed to be directed at just you, but I appreciate your kind response.

I'm off too bed, I'm not in a good position right now. I've been arguing on this thread-- I don't even know why I bother. I have work at 10am, it's 5am. Terrible. Also, with all of this arguing, I was incapable of getting any work done on my drawing. This simple sucks, I had hoped to be in bed by 3am-- even though that's late enough as it is.. but this is a travesty.
*sigh. *

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whoo boy! Think we all need to chill out a bit here!

I don't think anymore really needs to be said on this subject and the voting can speak for itself, whether people want to vote on how well executed a drawing is done or how well the character is evoked. No one can say what criteria you want to vote on mm? :] I think both sides have said a fairly equal say in explaining themselves and if you don't think so, I think you're too curled up in your own side of the argument. So.

Thanks for doing this Zook, I'm so pleased to see so many entries! I apologise for not being more active and helping out, but I'll see if I can get some sort of title or what not as a prize. :]

Not too late for me to vote still is it?

Traditional: YagamiDark
I love the shading and the dynamic feel for your drawing, great pose :] I like Zelda looking like shes got a bit more attitude as well, haha :]

Digital: FireCrack
Fantastic styling! I opened this and thought this was way too cool, love how you've done the flames :] I would say make her face more angular to emphasize further the foreboding, sinister feel you've got going on here, but otherwise great! I like the subtle background as well :]

Overall: FireCrack

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
LOL.

1. Chill people. It's just a lil art.

2. Leo Daza thanks for the critique. I completely agree with you. Her top half just isn't right. Ah well, next time. I think I just need to spend more time on my entries.

3. Zook, be careful with the voting categories. If you keep adding and adding I think it will be too much.

4. Vote

HAND DRAWN: Flying Dutchman
DIGITAL: Spire III
CREATIVE: Zook
OVERALL: Flying Dutchman

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Yeesh, tons of controversy. I'm loving this thread more and more every day!

As for Orca: I was debating whether or not to reject his entry, but ultimately decided against it. Entries don't really need to look like what the current character is. I'd allow an amazing painting of a New England landscape for Jigglypuff, even if she wasn't anywhere in the picture.

THE COMMUNITY is the judge of this contest, NOT ME. If the community decides that a picture that doesn't resemble a character does not deserve to win, then it won't win. By all means, voice your opinions. Who knows, you could change someone's mind.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Took me a while to scroll to the bottom of this page.
And I sort of agree with both Orca and Skyler.
It doesn't look like Zelda for all we know.
But there IS no IRL Zelda. All Zelda representations have been cartoony and unrealistc. So why not imagine what she'd look like IRL - it probably won't look much like the Zelda we know.

Frown

poekmon
But there IS no IRL Zelda. All Zelda representations have been cartoony and unrealistc. So why not imagine what she'd look like IRL - it probably won't look much like the Zelda we know.
But no matter how hard I try, all I see is a Mexican B-movie actress with no clothes on.

I want to look at a picture and think "That's Zelda."

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
But no matter how hard I try, all I see is a Mexican B-movie actress with no clothes on.

I want to look at a picture and think "That's Zelda."
Nobody knows what Zelda would look like in a realistic scene.
And the picture has no definitive features of Zelda as of yet because it's incomplete.
Wait a bit and see how the final product turns out.

The Kurt

Smash Cadet
hand drawn: Flying Dutchman (non yoko)
digital: Firecrack
creative: Zook
overall: Firecrack

I liked a lot of them so it was hard to choose D:

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm glad my comments were helpful, I spent over half an hour writing that stuff!

Anyways, Thundermistress said it all about the argument!

As for Zook, your definitely right, We live in a democracy (or at least most of us do) if people think that a drawing that doesn't look like the character should win wins, then the majority rules, and that's how it always should be, at least when it comes to art.

BTW, can you announce the next char? I can't wait to get started.

Edit: also, please make sure you vote for all categories, we will get more accurate results if everyone votes, rather than just a few people voting on a certain category.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Man, a lot to catch up on. I'll keep it short.

Orca - I really want to see your Zelda piece finished, maybe a few physical features tweaked here and there, and maybe some more lingerie and jewelry to reflect Zelda's usual apparel. Just don't overdo the fantasy-feel of it. It's Zelda in our world, so she's going to be a bit more modernized. If you're finishing it for your friend, finish it for me too :) Anxiety is getting the best of me!

Thundermistress - "Smash Artist" title? NO WAY!

Everyone else - Let's not burn bridges with one another. It's evident that all those who've visited this thread are either artists or those who appreciate art, so let's stay unified with one another under the banner of "social creative upheaving" (for lack of a better phrase). An artist should never be criticized for their work no matter how much time they put in to it - especially for a public cause such as this. Everyone who has submitted artwork has put forth their efforts to pleasure the infinite audience of SWF with their own, individualistic rendition of our beloved Smash characters. All of those who put the time to critique the artwork seen in this thread - I salute every last one of you too, as you've given us your time to aid the artists; to help further the artists' skills both technically and conceptually. A critique should always be an honor, no matter what is addressed. And finally, to all of the voters. You've taken the time to sort through many pieces of work and give us your input on which drawings mean the most to YOU, and while it contributes to the contest, it also says a little bit about yourself, and by doing so, you've contributed more than "just a vote" to this thread. I believe that we should all stand strong as the Smash Artists League, artists, critics, and voters alike. Let these contests continue to thrive forever.

Thank you.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Spire, you have inspired me to draw like I have never drawn before.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Underlined entries suggest biased.
Which as the OP there should be none.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
It's a glitch. I can do nothing about it.

I see it as no one is underlined, unless I move the mouse over someone. Some people have said everyone is underlined. Others say only certain people are. Unless someone figures out a way to fix it, as far as I can tell, nothing is wrong with the OP that I can fix.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Spire, you have inspired me to draw like I have never drawn before.
Thank you. That's ultimately what I want.
You really don't pay attention, do you? It's a technical, uncontrollable error due to Zook using the blue theme for SWF.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
You really don't pay attention, do you? It's a technical, uncontrollable error due to Zook using the blue theme for SWF.
Well I'm not going to search through 23 pages for the answer. But when I posted earlier in the first 10 pages, I found no answer.

Well, thanks for clarifying anyways.
Is it possible to underline them all?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Well I'm not going to search through 23 pages for the answer. But when I posted earlier in the first 10 pages, I found no answer.

Well, thanks for clarifying anyways.
Is it possible to underline them all?
No, it isn't.

EDIT: Hmm, I'll try changing it with Revolution skin.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Digital
Orca

It was probably the best looking out of all of them but...it didn't really look too much like Zelda but it looks the best so...congrats!
Why vote for something if it doesn't look like what it should be? Would you vote for an amazing pic of Mario if the theme of the week was Link?

Also, read the OP, people. Tons of you aren't voting for everything.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Hand-drawn: Yuna

Digital: Firecrack

Overall: Yuna

Most Creative: Orca

I hope I voted right.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
My votes:

Hand-drawn: Zook
Digital: Spire III
Most Creative: Zook
Overall: Spire III

Heh, I suppose my votes look a little one-sided...but I thought both Spire and Zook's pieces were executed very well. And Zook had a great, while weird, concept. Praying Mantis Zelda? Win.
Then again, Zook always wins.

But overall, Spire's art nearly ALWAYS wows me, be it sprites, paintings, or other kinds of artwork. This piece was no different.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
Everyone has this toon link picture now O_o

And I got bored so I sifted through the last 4 pages to tally up votes (not officially). Shows where everyone who received a vote stands right now.
(And in my haste I might have missed a vote, so you may be missing a vote or two).
And you should all have the common sense to know that all posts after this have not been included.

FireCrack

Smash Journeyman
You have yet to answer this, Ocra.

FlyingDutchman's drawing still can pass as Zelda, mainly because of the pointed ears, a correct hair color, and you can see a beginning of a dress, which looks like Zelda's (thought not exactly the same).
Actualy, I was going t post that FD's drawing also had similar resemblence problems, but there is one thing I want to point out on this whole issue.

The idea of resembelence becomes, convoluted, at some point. Both Orca's and FD's drawings do resemble Zelda, only it's that they resemble something else more, a real woman and yoko respectively. Because our minds see some initial resemelence first we are prone to throw everything else out.

Leo Daza

Smash Cadet
I think all the action is near the end of submitting, and during voting, since that's when people check it the most. Right now, I have this thread open in its own tab lol.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Zook, Frow, Nakededede, Kevin...it's so hard to pick!

and since i was bored...

hand drawn. even if it doesn't go into the contest, I was just bored.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Whoops, looks like I forgot to include creativity as well as Best overall so here goes:

Creativity
: Zook

Best Overall: Super_Sonic8877

My comments: Wow! Apparently it seems some people are in a disagreement with Orca's pic, but I don't mind the hair color, it's cute. :)

Okay, for creativity, Zook definetly took my vote as seeing it had it's own unique style which was weird looking, but creative.

As for best overall, I have to say Super_Sonic's, I don't know why, but something about it caught my attention immediatly so I had to vote for it, as ofr Spire III's piece, that "gothic sorcerer' is pretty bad **, I must say you definetly have some drawing skills, I can't wait to see you draw Bowser.
(hopefully) :rolleyes:

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Took me a while to scroll to the bottom of this page.
And I sort of agree with both Orca and Skyler.
It doesn't look like Zelda for all we know.
Thank You. This is the majority of the problem, people can't seem to wrap their minds around this. I don't understand why this is so difficult for people, really, come on..

Man, a lot to catch up on. I'll keep it short.

Orca - I really want to see your Zelda piece finished, maybe a few physical features tweaked here and there, and maybe some more lingerie and jewelry to reflect Zelda's usual apparel. Just don't overdo the fantasy-feel of it. It's Zelda in our world, so she's going to be a bit more modernized. If you're finishing it for your friend, finish it for me too :) Anxiety is getting the best of me!
Thanks for the points, my aim will continue to be to keep her real and believable in the real world. I'll post it on this thread when I finish.

Thundermistress - "Smash Artist" title? NO WAY!

Everyone else - Let's not burn bridges with one another. It's evident that all those who've visited this thread are either artists or those who appreciate art, so let's stay unified with one another under the banner of "social creative upheaving" (for lack of a better phrase). An artist should never be criticized for their work no matter how much time they put in to it - especially for a public cause such as this. Everyone who has submitted artwork has put forth their efforts to pleasure the infinite audience of SWF with their own, individualistic rendition of our beloved Smash characters. All of those who put the time to critique the artwork seen in this thread - I salute every last one of you too, as you've given us your time to aid the artists; to help further the artists' skills both technically and conceptually. A critique should always be an honor, no matter what is addressed. And finally, to all of the voters. You've taken the time to sort through many pieces of work and give us your input on which drawings mean the most to YOU, and while it contributes to the contest, it also says a little bit about yourself, and by doing so, you've contributed more than "just a vote" to this thread. I believe that we should all stand strong as the Smash Artists League, artists, critics, and voters alike. Let these contests continue to thrive forever.

Thank you.
Bravo, eloquently put.

Actualy, I was going t post that FD's drawing also had similar resemblence problems, but there is one thing I want to point out on this whole issue.

The idea of resembelence becomes, convoluted, at some point. Both Orca's and FD's drawings do resemble Zelda, only it's that they resemble something else more, a real woman and yoko respectively. Because our minds see some initial resemelence first we are prone to throw everything else out.
Excellent point. Most people probably haven't sat there, and taken the time to stair into my picture and think... what if... Because it's drawn with an utter realistic fashion, they can relate to the fact that it's an actual being, a real life women, as such, they throw out all possibilities for Zelda. They seem more accepting in the form of a cartoon, which is odd to me. I attempt the least generic idea for Zelda and then people attempt to have me disqualified.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Meno votes!

Hand-drawn: Yuna

Digital: Orca

Most Creative: YagamiDark

Overall: Spire III

Good job everyone. ;)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Excellent point. Most people probably haven't sat there, and taken the time to stair into my picture and think... what if... Because it's drawn with an utter realistic fashion, they can relate to the fact that it's an actual being, a real life women, as such, they throw out all possibilities for Zelda. They seem more accepting in the form of a cartoon, which is odd to me. I attempt the least generic idea for Zelda and then people attempt to have me disqualified.
Ugh...

You think I didn't sit there and look for any resemblance to Zelda?

Top Bottom