• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
What i meant is expand this lock with the likes landing Uair into a grab into a combo.
You should be able to dtilt into a regrab I think after you cant lock anymore but I don't think there are many other ways into grab. Uair to grab might work too but I don't think it would be garaunteed

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
You should be able to dtilt into a regrab I think after you cant lock anymore but I don't think there are many other ways into grab. Uair to grab might work too but I don't think it would be garaunteed
You can jump out of Dtilt things, doesn't have enough hitstun.
Might be same deal with UAir but since it SH FF autocancel, i wanna give it a try.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
You can jump out of Dtilt things, doesn't have enough hitstun.
Might be same deal with UAir but since it SH FF autocancel, i wanna give it a try.
Okay. Hey by they way SH UAir is really difficult for me to do and there probably isn't but I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it than with default controls? Ending up inputting Jump cancel Usmash has screwed me over a few times so I'd like to know if I'm missing anything

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Okay. Hey by they way SH UAir is really difficult for me to do and there probably isn't but I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it than with default controls? Ending up inputting Jump cancel Usmash has screwed me over a few times so I'd like to know if I'm missing anything
Method A: Y button, up on control stick and a button with near-frame perfect timing.
Method B: Y button, up on C-stick

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I just input X then A Up/Down, as i don't use C Stick at all ( I'm attempting Melee 1P runs, which doesn't allow the use of C Stick because it's the camera, so i'm used to no C-Stick )
Just a matter of training

tibs7

Smash Champion
came 13th in a 100 man tournament. It versed another states best player super early but i guess thats no excuse.
He went metaknight which i destroyeddddd game 1 then game 2 and 3 he went sheik it came to last hit both games but i felt the whole time i was struggling.
Any tips against sheik would be sick, also what %'s will our upB get us out of her strings?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Nairo Nairo I'm not sure if this is the place, but I'm really wondering why you opted for Doc in your sets against ESam outside of simply practicing Doc vs. NAKAT's Pikachu I believe?

Are there any large advantages he has over Mario in this MU? I'm genuinely curious cause tip-top level Doc play is very, very rare and I want to get the most out of it. Your showing with Doc was absolutely phenomenal but I'm really curious as to why you chose him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nairo Nairo I'm not sure if this is the place, but I'm really wondering why you opted for Doc in your sets against ESam outside of simply practicing Doc vs. NAKAT's Pikachu I believe?

Are there any large advantages he has over Mario in this MU? I'm genuinely curious cause tip-top level Doc play is very, very rare and I want to get the most out of it. Your showing with Doc was absolutely phenomenal but I'm really curious as to why you chose him.
My hunch is that his OOS game is key to making punishes that most other characters would miss out on, but y'know... I'm not the one at at a tournament...

tibs7

Smash Champion
its because doc gets dthrow to fair and combos pika in general pretty well. And obviously caping tjolts is nice.
i think it was more a confortability pick rather than cp.

Nairo

Banned via Administration

I just mess around with Doc on my stream more than Mario so Im comfortable doing his combos/strings. Sometimes when I use Mario I dthrow upair at like 30 thinking im doc and completely miss haha! I think both mario and doc do well vs pika so I gave it a shot. Sure he can get gimped but if you cant get the gimp it can be annoying to KO doc with pika(he has to come close to me to hit me with something strong with better for me). I lost winners semis 3-1 but I knew that I did many errors/missed followups that could of been a lot or game changing in the matches, but its fine it happens. LFs I was consistent in my strings/combos/regrabs etc and it was a different result that set! Thank you for the Doc compliment as well! (Sorry for any typos/bad grammar, I wrote this quick lolol)

Mooro...

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-2879-3341
I just mess around with Doc on my stream more than Mario so Im comfortable doing his combos/strings. Sometimes when I use Mario I dthrow upair at like 30 thinking im doc and completely miss haha! I think both mario and doc do well vs pika so I gave it a shot. Sure he can get gimped but if you cant get the gimp it can be annoying to KO doc with pika(he has to come close to me to hit me with something strong with better for me). I lost winners semis 3-1 but I knew that I did many errors/missed followups that could of been a lot or game changing in the matches, but its fine it happens. LFs I was consistent in my strings/combos/regrabs etc and it was a different result that set! Thank you for the Doc compliment as well! (Sorry for any typos/bad grammar, I wrote this quick lolol)
Oh my god, I love you and your MLG run. Please bear my children. You've brought hope to our tribe.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I also noticed you made a lot of really smart adaptations in the LF set, mostly using OoS options like Up+B and using Doc's ridiculous UpSmash (which is actually better than Mario's at this point.) Stuff like that is super good on Doc compared to like, Mario even.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman

I'd say 2 major points Doc has over Mario:
- The ease Doc has to close the stock vs Pika
- Wasn't seen but, Tornado is an amazing tool vs Pikachu, outpriotizing Jolt & QA.
At the end, MU Ratio is probably similar/close to Mario's, at least in my opinion & experience, always been able to really punish Pikachu hard for any commitment that was punishable.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I also noticed you made a lot of really smart adaptations in the LF set, mostly using OoS options like Up+B and using Doc's ridiculous UpSmash (which is actually better than Mario's at this point.) Stuff like that is super good on Doc compared to like, Mario even.
To note, Doc's U-Smash last 1 frame longer than Mario's (meaning it has better hitbox coverage since it can hit in front of him), and it does 15.68% damage in comparison to Mario's 14%.

Doc's KBG is also 110 in comparison to Mario's 94.

This means Doc's U-Smash scales far better than Mario's U-Smash at higher percents. It's an amazing U-Smash.

tibs7

Smash Champion
nairo was streaming some doc just then. pretty sick to see but tbh everyone he played was pretty scrubby.....

edit: cool thing he was doing with dthrow was he was 'pivoting then uair'ing' so he could follow up with bair easier and then continue the strings. defs will implement this into my game

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
nairo was streaming some doc just then. pretty sick to see but tbh everyone he played was pretty scrubby.....

edit: cool thing he was doing with dthrow was he was 'pivoting then uair'ing' so he could follow up with bair easier and then continue the strings. defs will implement this into my game
Yeah idk how i never thought of that omg. You can also buffer turn around and bair after dthrow, but UAir is definitely better I'd say

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
That fair can't be guaranteed. Dair is too laggy for that. On some characters, you can get down throw to dair and down throw to dair to sourspot up B.
Still, possibly interesting mixup, isn't it?
I think we're very versatile in terms of combo-ing, so it's always nice to see our possibilities.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
8th out of an 81 people in a regional purely using Doc. Could've gotten 2nd or even 1st, but I didn't have the best luck.
Took a game off Mr. Downer (One of Oklahoma's best players, and could've potentionally won the set, but I got footstooled...
Also the other guy that beat me I took one game off of.

I will have to bring up a point here though: Yoshi is freaking broken as heck. Pretty much everyone in AR agrees with me and the Yoshi's here aren't even the best. Its really stupid fighting against Yoshi when you find out not only can he do everything good, but he can do it AMAZINGLY well. Lots of people here consider Yoshi to be the best character in the game, and they are definitely not wrong. At least I can combo Sheik, kill her early, and make it hard to kill me. Rosalina I can edge guard and kill early. Yoshi on the other hand only has the weakness of being footstooled, which nobody goes for.

Sorry to john but really nerf this bullcrap character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
8th out of an 81 people in a regional purely using Doc. Could've gotten 2nd or even 1st, but I didn't have the best luck.
Took a game off Mr. Downer (One of Oklahoma's best players, and could've potentionally won the set, but I got footstooled...
Also the other guy that beat me I took one game off of.

I will have to bring up a point here though: Yoshi is freaking broken as heck. Pretty much everyone in AR agrees with me and the Yoshi's here aren't even the best. Its really stupid fighting against Yoshi when you find out not only can he do everything good, but he can do it AMAZINGLY well. Lots of people here consider Yoshi to be the best character in the game, and they are definitely not wrong. At least I can combo Sheik, kill her early, and make it hard to kill me. Rosalina I can edge guard and kill early. Yoshi on the other hand only has the weakness of being footstooled, which nobody goes for.

Sorry to john but really nerf this bullcrap character.
Maybe it seems that way if you're playing Doc and get frustrated into chasing him down, but the truth is when you fight Yoshi you just have to be very patient and on-point with your defence. Usmash or bair all of his aerial approaches.

Really Yoshi wins by making you mad and capitalizing off of your frustration. He has no reliable kill confirms or 50-50's like Sheik. Also his grab game is certainly not impressive so that's a weakness.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Maybe it seems that way if you're playing Doc and get frustrated into chasing him down, but the truth is when you fight Yoshi you just have to be very patient and on-point with your defence. Usmash or bair all of his aerial approaches.

Really Yoshi wins by making you mad and capitalizing off of your frustration. He has no reliable kill confirms or 50-50's like Sheik. Also his grab game is certainly not impressive so that's a weakness.
-Forward air to up air
-Jab to down b
-Good edge guarding
-Down b shield break (though admittedly it hardly breaks doc's)
-Down throw to up air/up smash (50-50)
-Egg kill setups
-Nair

His grab game is not a weakness. He has great shield pressure and the best command grab in the game.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I don't like fighting Yoshi as Doc, and i wouldn't recommend going Doc for this MU.
I usually switch to G&W for that MU & it goes better thanks to disjoints & invincible USmash.

tibs7

Smash Champion
I agree completely monkey, I've lost to a mediocre yoshi purely from the character being broken af. He made no reads, and basically just out tiered me. caping this recovery I think is the option I go for when edge guarding and whenever they recovery they will normally use an egg to help get to the edge or something, try to capilize on the smaller things because you dont get many punishes on this character.
but yeah definitely dont need a brain to play this character

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Doc isn't great against Yoshi since the dino can easily run away with a lead, but it's far from a trainwreck.

I know Doc's OOS game is one of his greatest assets but for this match you'll be mostly throwing that out of the window in favour of challenges. Quite simply, the key to beating Yoshi as any character is not giving his moves too much respect. Doc's bair can block almost any aerial Yoshi approaches with (his fair may have range but it's a bit slow and not very disjointed), and you shouldn't be afraid to trade with dair since it doesn't have the best vertical range on top of it's nature as a multihit. Only shield as a means to gauge Yoshi's habits.

Really, just don't try to force anything and Yoshi becomes a whole lot simpler. Let him make the first move and counter.

tibs7

Smash Champion
I feel as if doc would be soooo much better with slight adjustments - firstly if they matched marios landing lag frame data that would be nice.....

umm secondly slighty buffed his walk/run speed maybe 1.3 speed, then if they increased hitbox of dash attack to kind've blow up short ups instead of them jumping over it and punishing. sakurai please slight buffs go a long way :'(

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
:4yoshi:'s :GCU::GCB: IS certainly a problem. Any other move I'm fine or wary, but this one is the one I can get some trouble at times. Especially when you're a slow character like the good ol' Doc.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Huh? What's with all the yoshi hate? I don't like the character but i don't see how he's broken. He has some good tools, but he really shines because of his ability to get out of disadvantage.

Also, Egg Toss isn't that good. PS or reflect.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Huh? What's with all the yoshi hate? I don't like the character but i don't see how he's broken. He has some good tools, but he really shines because of his ability to get out of disadvantage.

The only times egg toss really causes problems are in lag or you get too impatient, try to chase Yoshi in the air and get egg in your face.

In my experience troubles with Yoshi are mostly rooted with the player rather than the character you're using.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7

Maybe if he last more than 1 matchup, if even that, I wouldn't be calling him broken.
But he doesn't.

Yoshi's Eggs force you to approach and punish you for trying to space. You also cannot edge guard Yoshi for like half of his recovery most of the time because of its freaking angle adjustment.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
How? They're too laggy to follow up and not fast enough to punish. The fact that Yoshi can change angles is the good thing about it.

tibs7

Smash Champion
do we have aerials or tilts that beat the egg? that might help with the getting through egg problem.

we do have little combos on him. dtilt -> jump upB at around 60-70. cant really string more than one uair unfortunately :/ but yeah yoshi players tend to press lots of buttons/be really active so playing patiently with RAR bair isnt so bad

actually im finding RAR full hop bairs into FF nair or uair seem to be pretty decent options in the neutral game,

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
+ As of right now, i think what Doc need is improved Pills, and more hitstun on some moves ( Most notably Uair & Dtilt )
It's true that you can try to go toe-to-toe with Yoshi once he's close enough, Bair is so fast & powerful & has enough range to beat most of Yoshi's Aerials. For combos,you've got to analyze quickly if Yoshi's reaction is to Nair you or to double jump away, depending of the reaction, you can get different things going on.
About Eggs, just respect them. If you get hit by one of them, no worries, its unlikely that Yoshi will get much of it, or even leave you in a disadvantage state.

Top Bottom