• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Hiya, I'm NineSwitch. I had an account on here before a long while back but forgot my name and stuff. Anyway, I'm a Doc main and I'll be attending more locals soon here in Texas EXCLUSIVELY as him. So wish me luck everyone.

EDIT: And I'll also try to be active on here lol
Wanna join the Doc Skype group then? We're fairly active in discussion and getting games off each other, complete with some of the best Doc mains in the world. Send me your Skype ID and I'll add ya when I get home: thekenster64 or KenMeisterLP

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hiya, I'm NineSwitch. I had an account on here before a long while back but forgot my name and stuff. Anyway, I'm a Doc main and I'll be attending more locals soon here in Texas EXCLUSIVELY as him. So wish me luck everyone.

EDIT: And I'll also try to be active on here lol
Welcome to the Doc Boards!
I am SmashRiver64, and I will be your local Medical Advisor 'round these parts. :drmario:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well aren't y'all happy that Doc isn't largely screwed by the shield changes? His OoS is still absurd and he still has MArio frame data + a reflector to deal with camping. Good on him. Bair is ridonk on shields now BTW.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Well aren't y'all happy that Doc isn't largely screwed by the shield changes? His OoS is still absurd and he still has MArio frame data + a reflector to deal with camping. Good on him. Bair is ridonk on shields now BTW.
Yeah, once I heard about the projectiles not being overhauled in stun (maybe less?) I'm pretty sure Doc isn't moving too much in terms of tiers.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah, once I heard about the projectiles not being overhauled in stun (maybe less?) I'm pretty sure Doc isn't moving too much in terms of tiers.
Yeah it's mostly shifting around him at this point. He may go up by proxy of not suffering horribly from these shield changes (as will Mario good lord)

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Yo so there was this Doc/Peach player in TBH5.
He had throw combos that could have been better, and the lack of tornado is kind of unfortunate, but his mobility was very good, so if anyone knows him, contact him cauz i'm interested.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
He had throw combos that could have been better, and the lack of tornado is kind of unfortunate, but his mobility was very good, so if anyone knows him, contact him cauz i'm interested.
Lack of tornado? Its a pretty easy mash...

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
That would be BoTastic! BoTastic! . He's been on this forum a few times. His Doc is still new so he missed out on potential damage. Those commentators were so annoying to listen to.

Lack of tornado? Its a pretty easy mash...
I think he/she meant general usage of the move. He wasn't using Tornado much (don't think he was using it at all tbh).

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I think he/she meant general usage of the move. He wasn't using Tornado much (don't think he was using it at all tbh).
Well I never really use it unless I'm making a jank mixup, edge guarding, or recovering. The landing tornado isn't really that good to me, compared to Luigi's.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I'm sorry. I let all of you guys down. I played awful at Big House, LOL.
While it's unfortunate, I commend you on representing the good Doc on the big stage. Glad to see some people refusing to succumb to tier pressure. Keep at it!

tibs7

Smash Champion
with the shield changes is our fully spaced fsmash safe?
or any smash attack safe on shield now?

and it seems heavy characters are pretty much impossible to dthrow -> fair, am i wrong with this.
uair->upB always works though

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
with the shield changes is our fully spaced fsmash safe?
or any smash attack safe on shield now?

and it seems heavy characters are pretty much impossible to dthrow -> fair, am i wrong with this.
uair->upB always works though
I haven't tried fsmash or dsmash yet, but upsmash is definitely not safe on shield.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I was on the road to winning a tri monthly when suddenly the bullcrap that is the cyclone hit lag glitch made me lose a match. I made the most salty pop off. I seriously could've won but after that I lost all motivation to keep playing.

Basically, if you don't hit the b button on particular frames when hitting the cyclone when connecting it you don't gain hieght. This makes legitimate mashing not work as week as timing button presses on hits. I hate this glitch and the fact that it hasn't been patched over so many updates infuriates me. There is no excuse for this bull. Also not only does this happen with Doc, but this happens with Luigi as well. And I lost ANOTHER set that tournament because of that. My opponents could've beat me, but the fact that the game is basically choosing who wins is bullcrap.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this but I'll say it anyway.

If you make a custom Dr. Mario with +22 speed, he has the exact same run speed, air speed, and jump height as regular Mario. Not tournament viable obviously, but fun in friendlies.

It's pretty cool, a lot of the combos and stuff he had in Melee now connects again. He can follow his pills in the air nicely, and his improved jump height makes his recovery a bit better.

Downside: might make you sad when you have to go back to slow Doc.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Using the Dr. Tornado BEFORE any jumps after being thrown out of a stage, actually does help and can cover a lot of space to return to the match.

Just a tip that I found REALLY useful as I didn't do anything of the sort before. Just to say here.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this but I'll say it anyway.

If you make a custom Dr. Mario with +22 speed, he has the exact same run speed, air speed, and jump height as regular Mario. Not tournament viable obviously, but fun in friendlies.

It's pretty cool, a lot of the combos and stuff he had in Melee now connects again. He can follow his pills in the air nicely, and his improved jump height makes his recovery a bit better.

Downside: might make you sad when you have to go back to slow Doc.
I like Doc because of his speed though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Man I never realized how great up-B is for punishing shielders. I've been getting a lot of kills recently by jumping towards people who just shield at the ledge waiting for a punish. Right before they try to grab/attack me (usually when I'm about to touch the ground), I just up-B and it kills them at about 95%. It gets even better if they know it's coming, which usually means they'll shield longer (or just roll) and I can grab them instead.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That small instant of going out of shield and get hit by an attack is truly the key moment to use Up-B. Is so satisfying when it happens.

tibs7

Smash Champion
lol doc is notthing like ryu....maybe if we had some invincibility on our shoryu

oh and we have to make reads to make up for horrible movement, so everything we do can be 'unsafe' if we are predictable int he slightest

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
lol doc is notthing like ryu....maybe if we had some invincibility on our shoryu

oh and we have to make reads to make up for horrible movement, so everything we do can be 'unsafe' if we are predictable int he slightest
I'm pretty sure Super Jump Punch DOES have invincibility...

Ryu's mobility may be better but not by that much... he is also almost completely unable to weave without Focus Attack.
What he really has over Doc is stronger, more effective footsies.

tibs7

Smash Champion
bruh i dunno if you are serious.
he has tilts that combo legitimately into shoryu (so he kills better), he has twice as much range on aerials and normals (he out neutrals), he is faster (harder to punish). his focus attack super armour comes out frame 1 (so he can be hard to combo).

and yeah marios upB has invincibility ours just on startup has a pretty large hitbox

Top Bottom