• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
@2ManyCooks I saw you playing at Alberta Beat Down, you did decently & i'm glad you're here to represent Dr.Mario a little bit, but here's a bunch of tips that could help you improve your game :) :
- Work on your punish game: In the few games i've seen, it was kind of sub optimal to say the least, the best advice i could give you is that, at the moment where you punish your opponent with Jab, you'd rather try go for a grab or eventually a downsmash/usmash. In other situations, DownTilt could have been better.
- For the sake of autocancels, use FullHop Pills over SH Pills, most notably, FullHop B Reversed Pills are a very nice way to get right back into the action, & depending of how close you are to your opponent & his reaction, you can get things out of it, it's a very nice tool really.
- Even as a Doc lover, a secondary is really helpful for some matchups: I personally choosed Game&Watch because he has a do-able matchup vs Sheik, a matchup in his favor vs ZSS, and usually fares well vs swordsmans. So it kind of covers the troublesome matchups of our favorite doctor. That being said, feel free to choose anyone :)
- Questionable DI at times, but it happens to me sometimes.

I'd be of course glad to discuss more with you about our tricks for Doctor Mario, as well as with anyone on this social thread: let's keep the good work :)
Pretty much this. Good stuff @2ManyCooks. Getting 9th with the Doc. :)

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hey guys, i was checking Doc's data to see his strongest hit (KB) and i guess i can't read Data, It looks like his Jab 3 has most base and KB growth, but that's obviously wrong.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
So I've been playing doc for a while, but I'm annoyed by the fact that doc's recovery is almost as bad as little mac's but has virtually no stage edge guarding tools other than pills, which don't have a fast enough fire rate to be very useful... I'd be getting good results if his nado actually did something in a recovery standpoint. I'd like to see autocancel sh pills and the nado have near the recovery capabilities of luigi's. As is I just use Tink and MK with doc being a almost worthless secondary.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
So I've been playing doc for a while, but I'm annoyed by the fact that doc's recovery is almost as bad as little mac's but has virtually no stage edge guarding tools other than pills, which don't have a fast enough fire rate to be very useful... I'd be getting good results if his nado actually did something in a recovery standpoint. I'd like to see autocancel sh pills and the nado have near the recovery capabilities of luigi's. As is I just use Tink and MK with doc being a almost worthless secondary.
Actually, his edgeguarding game is better than Mario's. Try utilizing sheet, reverse upBs, and Nado more. And bair I suppose if your opponent is an idiot.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Just asking, but how are you recovering with nado? If you find using nado after jumping useless, then I suggest you try nado first and then jumping. Doc's nado is not as fast as Luigi's, so Doc's nado will leave you vulnerable near the ledge. If you're already doing this, then I guess that's that lol.

As KenMeister said, Doc's edgeguarding game is better than Mario's. I would also like to add backwards up-air as another method of edgeguarding. Don't underestimate Doc's edgeguarding capabilities; they're not as bad as you think.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Just asking, but how are you recovering with nado? If you find using nado after jumping useless, then I suggest you try nado first and then jumping. Doc's nado is not as fast as Luigi's, so Doc's nado will leave you vulnerable near the ledge. If you're already doing this, then I guess that's that lol.

As KenMeister said, Doc's edgeguarding game is better than Mario's. I would also like to add backwards up-air as another method of edgeguarding. Don't underestimate Doc's edgeguarding capabilities; they're not as bad as you think.
luigi and doc have the same frame data for their down bs. Doc's doesnt go very far, but is easier to control. It sends opponents sideways whereas luigi's sends them up. Doc gets decent horizontal distance with tornado.

edgeguarding options are: Tornado, reverse up b, dair, late nair, backwards up air and sheet. Sit in training room or check the boards to better understand your character before making assumptions.

Some notes on tornado vs cyclone:
Cyclone has greater distance than tornado.
Cyclone has less control. You are usually committed to one direction. Tornado is more flexible.
It is much harder to get a decent distance with Cyclone if you don't jump. It is easier to do this with Tornado.
Cyclone has vertical knockback. Tornado has horizontal knockback.
Cyclone and Tornado have the same frame data, same priority and damage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doc Nado is amazing for recovery.While it gets you some horizontal distance it more importantly lets you stall out edgeguard attempts. Try to always recover high with Tornado to confuse your opponent.

I played some games against sonicmega's Mega Man. He's the top MM in SoCal, and he had a very difficult time gimping my Doc. Doc's recovery may have limited distance but as long as you DI well, he has relatively strong mixup options between his Tornado and airdodge to juke edgeguards.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Thanks for the tips. I guess what I'm trying to get at more is that all that stuff makes it really annoying against CPUs. The doc can edgeguard, but he doesn't really have stage presence that I got used to after a summer with MK and Tink. I have played doc since October, so I know stuff, but it's just...

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Well zero thinks that doc is bad and not viable. Opinions guys?

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips. I guess what I'm trying to get at more is that all that stuff makes it really annoying against CPUs. The doc can edgeguard, but he doesn't really have stage presence that I got used to after a summer with MK and Tink. I have played doc since October, so I know stuff, but it's just...
We wouldn't tell you this if it only works on CPUs. Just saying.

In other news, in a manner similar to Mario's Up Throw to Dair (which is somewhat gimmicky), Doc can get Down Throw to Dair on certain characters at lowish percents. This was mentioned in the combo thread, but I thought about bringing it up again because I think it's important to maximize damage off of our throws. Still figuring out which characters it works on. I'm guessing it follows the same rules as D Throw to Fair and D Throw to Down B.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Well zero thinks that doc is bad and not viable. Opinions guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojbWXWpBpZA
Lol. Zero doesn't really know much about Doc so I wouldn't take it seriously. Pro players might be phenomenal at the game, but they are not necessarily the most knowledgeable. I used to make that mistake of assuming that they were both good at the game and knew a lot when I started to follow the competitive side of Smash in 2007.

Last edited:

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I mean it did seem that he did know what he was talking about in the video though but I can see what your getting at.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Yeah I mean it did seem that he did know what he was talking about in the video though but I can see what your getting at.
He neglected a lot of Doc's advantages (e.g. his edge-guarding, his OOS options, etc.) and exaggerated a lot of Mario's advantages (Mario's down is one of the best in the game? Not really). He doesn't really know either character well. He does this a lot with many characters and he changes his opinions frequently. Unfortunately, many people make the same mistake I did early on and just stick with the pro's opinion because he is a pro, but when someone is wrong, they are wrong. This is more important with Doc because he's a fairly unpopular tournament character.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the only person that uses him is boss. He does have advantages though with his kill power and OOS options like you said but he is kinda crippled by his bad recovery. And because he is more heavy and slower so I do think that Regular Mario is more viable in that aspect but dr.Mario does have good things over regular Mario.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Yeah the only person that uses him is boss. He does have advantages though with his kill power and OOS options like you said but he is kinda crippled by his bad recovery. And because he is more heavy and slower so I do think that Regular Mario is more viable in that aspect but dr.Mario does have good things over regular Mario.
Same weight and fall speed.

Boss hardly uses Doc, though he (and anti) were the ones that made me reconsider d throw to fair.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
He neglected a lot of Doc's advantages (e.g. his edge-guarding, his OOS options, etc.) and exaggerated a lot of Mario's advantages (Mario's down is one of the best in the game? Not really). He doesn't really know either character well. He does this a lot with many characters and he changes his opinions frequently. Unfortunately, many people make the same mistake I did early on and just stick with the pro's opinion because he is a pro, but when someone is wrong, they are wrong. This is more important with Doc because he's a fairly unpopular tournament character.
I pretty much stopped as soon as he said Mario's up-tilt was his only good tilt, even though his dtilt is really good for spacing and followups....*sigh*

In other news, been playing lots of Doc again since my mindset has been alot more defensive lately. Can't ever stop coming back to this character. x.x

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
If Mario and doc had the sweetspots on their fsmash switched, would it make them better? Just a random thought.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
If Mario and doc had the sweetspots on their fsmash switched, would it make them better? Just a random thought.
F smash is fundamentally limited as a move. Its' selling point is its' power. That's it. It's slow, and laggy and doesn't have great reach. Switching the spots wouldn't really change much.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hello there.
I am SmashRiver64, your new Medical Advisor.
I hope you enjoy my company.
Praise our lord and savior, Dr. Mario the Owl.
Hoo. :4drmario:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Hello there.
I am SmashRiver64, your new Medical Advisor.
I hope you enjoy my company.
Praise our lord and savior, Dr. Mario the Owl.
Hoo. :4drmario:
Welcome to the Doc boards! Admittingly we don't have enough discussion ongoing here, but I hope you enjoy your stay! Have you thought about joining our Skype group?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Welcome to the Doc boards!
upload_2015-9-8_23-25-4.png

It's like you're implying it's my first time here. :4drmario:
Admittingly we don't have enough discussion ongoing here, but I hope you enjoy your stay! Have you thought about joining our Skype group?
Sure, I'll join your Skype thingy.
Bedoop Bro's m'name on there, so go find me.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
His pills are USELFUL, believe it or not as a way to counter other projectile heavy opponents like Link, Samus and Lucario, just to name a few. Especially if the way some people
attack you with spam of arrows, laser and aura, you can always counter-attack with the same tactic.

At least, that's what I do when I'm facing that kind of opponent online.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I just want mobility.

Halve landing lag of all projectiles and I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
This was listed somewhere in the Doc forums, but Doc can get d throw to double jump fair on certain characters. I did this in training mode on Fox at 114. Worth remembering and/or exploring.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Picked up this beaut at the store today.
I found it at not-Target. Even though it's supposed to be Target-exclusive.
Bless Microplay.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My scene is starting up for the season in the coming week. Thinking I might break out Doc for some good old-fashioned medical mischief.

My brother (right now the best player in my scene) plays Doc too, so I reckon we'll see some nifty Doc dittos.

NineSwitch

Smash Rookie
Hiya, I'm NineSwitch. I had an account on here before a long while back but forgot my name and stuff. Anyway, I'm a Doc main and I'll be attending more locals soon here in Texas EXCLUSIVELY as him. So wish me luck everyone.

EDIT: And I'll also try to be active on here lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom