• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario PSA [v0.7] Recolors + Melee F-Air + Stock Icons

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I have a few ideas for mildly different animations / attacks so far:

D-smash: instead of the Gymastics-horse-spin to hit in front / behind, he does the splits, but facing the screen instead of the side like the space animals. The hit frame would be roughly the average of the old front and back hit frames, and would have similar knockback / damage. Mostly aesthetic change, small timing tweak.

Up-smash: replace the head bash with a slightly slower but stronger epic uppercut. It would have a similar hitbox path as . Hits maybe 16-17ish -- not as slow as GW u-smash (25) but slower than Doc's old one (9). A okay killer for following tech-chases.

Which means replacing the u-tilt with something not upper-cut-ish.. maybe a wario / diddy styled hands-in-the-air hop.

Other tilt ideas?

Dash attack: runs and dives on stomach instead of back..? Not terribly creative, but easy enough to code and straight from Mario 64

If enough people like certain ideas I can try my hand at coding them.

If people can think of more "Doctor-y" styled moves that'd be better. The trouble is that they should ideally have similar hitbox paths and durations to the old moves.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Perhaps you could make his FS have something to do with the viruses and/or pills from his game?
Yup, if you read the post under the OP you'll see what it is.

I have a few ideas for mildly different animations / attacks so far:

D-smash: instead of the Gymastics-horse-spin to hit in front / behind, he does the splits, but facing the screen instead of the side like the space animals. The hit frame would be roughly the average of the old front and back hit frames, and would have similar knockback / damage. Mostly aesthetic change, small timing tweak.

Up-smash: replace the head bash with a slightly slower but stronger epic uppercut. It would have a similar hitbox path as . Hits maybe 16-17ish -- not as slow as GW u-smash (25) but slower than Doc's old one (9). A okay killer for following tech-chases.

Which means replacing the u-tilt with something not upper-cut-ish.. maybe a wario / diddy styled hands-in-the-air hop.

Other tilt ideas?

Dash attack: runs and dives on stomach instead of back..? Not terribly creative, but easy enough to code and straight from Mario 64

If enough people like certain ideas I can try my hand at coding them.

If people can think of more "Doctor-y" styled moves that'd be better. The trouble is that they should ideally have similar hitbox paths and durations to the old moves.
A split huh? Hmm... never seen Mario do that, mama mia X_X it would be different though, so we'll see how it plays out.

Uppercuts! Yes! That sounds like a mario move.

Maybe for Utilt I can put in a rising kick (like his B-Air but angles waaay up)

Sure, I can just use the beam sword dash attack.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Oni K4ge, I am working on a Wait1 animation for Doc. Y'know, the one with his hands behind his back and he's tapping his foot? I'm getting pretty far, so just hold on, I'll work on it more tomorrow.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Just letting you know, I didn't die out, I'm just trying to get the hair bone to be recognized at all times. It's proving more difficult than I thought.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Oni K4ge, I am working on a Wait1 animation for Doc. Y'know, the one with his hands behind his back and he's tapping his foot? I'm getting pretty far, so just hold on, I'll work on it more tomorrow.
Oh cool, thanks dude! Looking forward to it.

How about we just take Shell's idea for Usmash and turn it into a Shoryuken-like uppercut?:laugh:
Actually, I did like that idea haha.

Just letting you know, I didn't die out, I'm just trying to get the hair bone to be recognized at all times. It's proving more difficult than I thought.
That's ok, take your time. No rush, if you need time to perfect it go for it lol. In the mean time, I really haven't had any time to work on him...

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Definitely looks better. Why aren't the graphics gone, did you simpl not do it yet or is it impossible? And is the pill trajectory adjusted yet?

I'm really looking forward to the project's completion.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Uuummmmm...

If you made the pill so large to cover up the effects, those can probably be removed. I think this scale looks much better.
Yeah it does look better this way, I dont know why the pill was so huge...

Definitely looks better. Why aren't the graphics gone, did you simpl not do it yet or is it impossible? And is the pill trajectory adjusted yet?
Dunno, I didnt make the pill...

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Okay, apparently you missed the main reason I posted that - no cone atop the capsule. I also changed the cape so it has texture instead of being solid white.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
HAX!!1 No... hex! Same way you remove anything else but more trial and error.

I removed his buttons, hat and the two shadows from his hat (on his face and hair) and I figured out how to make his hair visible in PSA but it seems to naturally want to be invisible. So even if I don't tell it to disappear, it disappears when the next animation starts.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
HAX!!1 No... hex! Same way you remove anything else but more trial and error.

I removed his buttons, hat and the two shadows from his hat (on his face and hair) and I figured out how to make his hair visible in PSA but it seems to naturally want to be invisible. So even if I don't tell it to disappear, it disappears when the next animation starts.
So in a subroutine, put it to visible, then put the subroutine in every subaction :p

And I'm gonna mess with the pill nao.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Well there's already an event that makes part of the model visible. This is how his hair becomes visible for his side taunt. But I didn't want to just put it in every subaction. That's a sledgehammer.

Does this not have a PSA to go with it?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
So in a subroutine, put it to visible, then put the subroutine in every subaction :p

And I'm gonna mess with the pill nao.
I'm actually trying to do something a little easier than that. I'm trying to duplicate the hair bone and just stick it in there where that hat bone is. The only problem is that I can't find that bone haha.

EDIT: Oni, did you want buttons, or no? I can take them out too if you want (although it was done by a person above me :D )
When I find time, I'll sit down and work on this puzzle without PSA

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Alrighty. Got the Pill hitbox working, just needs some SFX (do that later >_<)

EDIT: 30% trip alright?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
In Melee, Mario's fireballs did 6 and Doc's Pills did 8. In Brawl Mario's fireballs do 5 so I'm making the pills do 7.

Choice of elements:
00 hit
01 none
02 slash
03 electricity
04 Ice
05 Flame
06 Coin
07 Cape
08 Slip
09 Sleep
0A none
0B impale
0C Stun
0E Flower
0F none (gives hitstun to non-flinching moves)
10 none
11 slash 2
12 hit 2
13 Darkness
14 Stun
15 Aura
16 Impale 2
17 Knock Down
18 No Flinch

I'm thinking 00 or 01. For now its 7 damage with no element. The flames still follow the pill though, that was just on hit.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I'm actually trying to do something a little easier than that. I'm trying to duplicate the hair bone and just stick it in there where that hat bone is. The only problem is that I can't find that bone haha.

EDIT: Oni, did you want buttons, or no? I can take them out too if you want (although it was done by a person above me :D )
When I find time, I'll sit down and work on this puzzle without PSA
Oh um... I guess you can take em' out, they're unnecessary...

Oh, and what if we replaced the FLUDD model with something twisted up to look like a steathascope? Would that work? Btw, we can use trophy models now too so...

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I'm Melee, Mario's fireballs did 6 and Doc's Pills did 8. In Brawl Mario's fireballs do 5 so I'm making the pills do 7.

Choice of sound effects:
00 hit
01 none
02 slash
03 electricity
04 Ice
05 Flame
06 Coin
07 Cape
08 Slip
09 Sleep
0A none
0B impale
0C Stun
0E Flower
0F none (gives hitstun to non-flinching moves)
10 none
11 slash 2
12 hit 2
13 Darkness
14 Stun
15 Aura
16 Impale 2
17 Knock Down
18 No Flinch

I'm thinking Hit or None
Those are elements, not sound effects. I have it on 0F right now for that, and it works nicely. But what about SFX >.<

And 7 damage? OK.

I also need some behavioral info for when I dive into the cool stuff. How high did they bounce? Stuff like that

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Yeah, elements. Edited. Knew that, just wrote the wrong thing.
I just checked, the pill goes at about 45 degrees and bounces about twice as high as Mario's fireballs.

how about instead of makin doc in brawl

jus play melee and PICK doc =D

technology is pretty cool
This is a good point. But I had one look at that capsule and decided it needed to look better. Now I am committed.
I know what we can do: lets make Dr. Luigi. Then nobody can say "just play melee." Although it isn't a bad suggestion.

TSON can you explain to me why it's better to make a subroutine that makes his hair visible and then call it in each subaction instead of just making his hair visible in each subaction?
0B000200: 0-3, 0-0, makes his hair visible
0B000200: 0-3, 0-1, makes it invisible, however it will disappear after the animation regardless.

FIGHTING THE URGE TO DOUBLE POST. Nobody answered this: is there a FitMario.pac that goes with this? I don't see one on the front page. I always just assumed you edited the moveset.

If you didn't edit the moveset, we should definately replace his down special with his down air and make it act similar to Luigi's does in the air. And then make his down air like it was in melee. Then we might be able to swap the FLUDD with some other model that looks like a stethoscope.

For his neutral special, I think we should either remove the red overlay on his body or change it to another colour. What do you think? Then we've got to figure out how to get rid of those flame effects and the ring shoots out around his hand.

stickman

Smash Apprentice
@Oni, we could do that, but we would need to use PSA and animations to get it to stay in the same spot. so actually, that would be a great idea, I just don't have the knowledge of PSA or animation hacking to do that, but i'm sure someone else here does.

@AMKalmar, whatever is on the front page is whatever there is available for download. I'm pretty sure it is in
this
"Moveset:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2ff3d705a09a3c85bda4076e811714c8efe2752c72bed8b2292b492bd5edc68e "
which was on the front page

but i havent had time to download it yet

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
TSON can you explain to me why it's better to make a subroutine that makes his hair visible and then call it in each subaction instead of just making his hair visible in each subaction?
0B000200: 0-3, 0-1, makes it invisible, however it will disappear after the animation regardless.
Now that I think of it, the problem here is not PSA. What needs to be done is in Brawlbox, changing the hair's animation 2 to match animation 1, that way, it will always be visible.

(0B000200 is model changer right?)

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Yeah, elements. Edited. Knew that, just wrote the wrong thing.
I just checked, the pill goes at about 45 degrees and bounces about twice as high as Mario's fireballs.

This is a good point. But I had one look at that capsule and decided it needed to look better. Now I am committed.
I know what we can do: lets make Dr. Luigi. Then nobody can say "just play melee." Although it isn't a bad suggestion.

FIGHTING THE URGE TO DOUBLE POST. Nobody answered this: is there a FitMario.pac that goes with this? I don't see one on the front page. I always just assumed you edited the moveset.

If you didn't edit the moveset, we should definately replace his down special with his down air and make it act similar to Luigi's does in the air. And then make his down air like it was in melee. Then we might be able to swap the FLUDD with some other model that looks like a stethoscope.

For his neutral special, I think we should either remove the red overlay on his body or change it to another colour. What do you think? Then we've got to figure out how to get rid of those flame effects and the ring shoots out around his hand.
Haha Dr. Luigi, that would be a funny alt costume... I'm surprised there hasn't been one yet to be honest. Oh and the moveset is in the OP under "downloads".

Oh, and for the life of me I can't find ANY sprites for Dr. Mario viruses! I mean, I found them, but no sort of moving animations... I've wasted too much time looking, I'll just have to try and animate them myself I guess :p Any news on that Wait1, guy who said thou hast been working on a new Wait1?

stickman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I looked thereand found this, but you see there are no "moving" or "walking" sprites for the viruses... these just seem to sit up and fall backward... or is that what they do? Ive never played Dr. Mario haha
that's all they do :D

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
see the sprites when they have one leg up in the air, alternate between both sides, and you have a walking virus sprite

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
that's all they do :D
o lol XD

see the sprites when they have one leg up in the air, alternate between both sides, and you have a walking virus sprite
Ah! Thinking outside the box I see haha. Ok, I'll get to work after I finish my homework.

EDIT: Oh, and I've been playing B+ and so far I really like it, so I'm gonna consider making him with B+ in mind. Idk how I'd balance him with it though.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
If you need any help with sprites just ask me. If you need an example of my work, just take a look at my avatar. ;)

EDIT: w00t 555 posts!

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Oni, your going to have to wait for the animation, I'm currently grounded from the computer. (Yes I'm on, my mom allowed me to post this before being grounded.) But expect something this weekend, I'm already very far, just be patient, and see ya on the weekend.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Updated FitMarioMotionEtc.pac with pill, pill and cape texture. And FitMario.pac with modified pill trajectory.

Bounce velocity multiplier changed from 0.75 to 0.875, initial angle changed from -10 degrees to -35 degrees. I compared Mario and Doc and melee and this looks good.

All we have to do now is remove the flame effects on the pill. Leave the red flash on his body, that's how it is in melee.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that too high for a bounce, or is it that high simple because it was thrown from a platform?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
When it hits the ground the vertical speed is normally mirrored and multiplied by 0.75 meaning it will bounce and reach a peak 3/4 as high as its previous peak. I changed it to 0.875. It would normally peak just below that platform.

I forgot to change it to 7 no element damage, I'll edit that right now. There, ready for download.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Good job AMK! Can you change it to no element damage though? I'm working on the FS now (texturing) and I have no idea how I'd spawn pills that fall from the sky, so for now, I think I'll just have him spawn an excite bike trophy. But there are alot of textures in here, so it might be a while.

EDIT: Just tried it out, nvm you got the pill damage/effect right haha my bad ^_^" it's just from the pics I still saw fire so...

anyway, my guess it that his fire is located in fitmariomotionetc, but what if its not and it effects ALL of the fire in the game? That won't fly very well... unless we can put in textures in his motionetc so that when he spawns a megavitamin, it points to the graphics in his pac instead of the universal fire textures.

EDIT2: DONE! Finally! My hand is sore lol... so, I noticed it needs palletes, but I have no idea how to make them... this was an issue for me with the CSPs too... can I just delete the pallettes or something? otherwise I know it's gonna crash -_-

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
I would love to help this project in any way I can; even though I never got into competitive Melee, I miss the Doctor. I'm just speculating here, but could we not model-edit the hat into his Doctor's mirror? That way, he'd look perfect; his hair would be visible, but he'd have his little mirror just like in Melee. :3

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
possible, but best done in hex/vector array editing.

some guy made a melee-ish final destination just out of brawl's title screen layers, unless that was just brawlbox's model animation editor...

Top Bottom