• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
My most recent streamed bracket match at Project Playhem Weeklies #13 commented by Ally & Ksev
Match begins at 2:00

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I have been playing more but a lot of my questions are in regards to :4link: He is not a difficult match up in my opinion, but I just can't seem to figure out how to really approach the set. The worst feeling is having sets determined by the smallest of margins ever.

I have a ton of matches against :4link: in the last 3 to 4 weeks and it has been with the same Link every time. Our sets are even unless I disrespect F-Tilt. However, my biggest question after watching these videos is, what can I be doing better or differently to not just win the set, but to completely dominate it and make him never want to play the MU again? (Also stages. Where the hell should I go? I have this issue with a lot of characters because I am constantly asking myself "what if?"

:4link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62-4raZlV2k (May 21st)

http://www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/661485972?t=1h22m40s (May 22nd)

www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/663796399?t=1h19m07s (May 28th)

We played two other times before that where he won the first time we played and I won the second one but I really wish we were not running into each other as often. Not to mention the doubles sets, that's a total of 8 times in a month and I still am not sure how to dominate this match up. I don't expect to be beating characters like Link, I expect to be putting them six feet under.

Any advice is really appreciated. The sets are pretty fun to watch too. Just a shame I got afraid to play Mega Man and went to Mii Game 2 of one of the videos.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I have been playing more but a lot of my questions are in regards to :4link: He is not a difficult match up in my opinion, but I just can't seem to figure out how to really approach the set. The worst feeling is having sets determined by the smallest of margins ever.

I have a ton of matches against :4link: in the last 3 to 4 weeks and it has been with the same Link every time. Our sets are even unless I disrespect F-Tilt. However, my biggest question after watching these videos is, what can I be doing better or differently to not just win the set, but to completely dominate it and make him never want to play the MU again? (Also stages. Where the hell should I go? I have this issue with a lot of characters because I am constantly asking myself "what if?"

We played two other times before that where he won the first time we played and I won the second one but I really wish we were not running into each other as often. Not to mention the doubles sets, that's a total of 8 times in a month and I still am not sure how to dominate this match up. I don't expect to be beating characters like Link, I expect to be putting them six feet under.

Any advice is really appreciated. The sets are pretty fun to watch too. Just a shame I got afraid to play Mega Man and went to Mii Game 2 of one of the videos.
Ok I dont really know how to completely dominate the match but I understand the projectile game, Megaman can beat the boomerang with pellets and uncharged or few charged arrows and bombs should just be avoided since they go through pellets, We also should avoid doing smash attacks because Link can easily punish us, as a note he can avoid fsmash by just walking straight to it, same goes to MB, you can use Leaf Shield to outcamp his projectiles by a few seconds, also dont try to challenge his sword like in his dair he can win to our up smash, a good way to take advantage of his weight is trying to gimp him with leafshield or throwing a mb first and then going for a meteor smash, his sword cover quite a big distance so measure your distance with him before going for something like a down tilt or throwing a mb in front of him, I havent seen your battles yet, Ill see them later

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

I think someone on the Link boards already posted your set against @Hyrule Hero (impressions on MU needed)
First of all, you just cannot expect Mega Man to have more than +1 MU. I know it might seem weird, but I still believe that he has absolutely zero polarising MUs, so don't hope you will REKT anyone of your level if you can't outplay him.

Now, with less rants, I think you should just take the time to respace yourself sometimes. Pivot Fsmash can help with that. What is really frustrating in this MU is that our projectiles are not as useful as in the others since they get out-prioritized so much. Using our close-rannge tools seems to be the best idea to me.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I do apologize if I gave the impression that this match up should be completely free. I still have an issue with approaching characters based on how they did in previous games and then getting surprised or even caught off guard like. My sets with Hyrule are very solid and I feel like at this moment has figured me out. He plays me hard and honestly that is all we want when playing this game. Though I can a super salty guy at times, it is never directed at him personally but more from a desire to win perspective. But major shout outs to the work you put into Link!

Back to discussing :4link:

When you mention that though, I just think having to rely on Flame Sword/Slash Claw can put you in the most dangerous position for Mega Man which is up and in front of his face where he can forward tilt you or even power shield F-Smash. Perhaps the projectile game is not something to be completely relied on, but using close range tools do need the support of projectiles regardless of how less of a presence they may have.

Which comes to a very interesting point where Metal Blade seems to be the only projectile that seems to not be fazed by "Standing Shield." You may not get the full 6% - 10% damage you get with most of the cast, but you are still striving on hit stun for grabs or other hard punishes.

(Boy there are a lot of :4link: heads in the last three posts...)

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I do apologize if I gave the impression that this match up should be completely free. I still have an issue with approaching characters based on how they did in previous games and then getting surprised or even caught off guard like. My sets with Hyrule are very solid and I feel like at this moment has figured me out. He plays me hard and honestly that is all we want when playing this game. Though I can a super salty guy at times, it is never directed at him personally but more from a desire to win perspective. But major shout outs to the work you put into Link!

Back to discussing :4link:

When you mention that though, I just think having to rely on Flame Sword/Slash Claw can put you in the most dangerous position for Mega Man which is up and in front of his face where he can forward tilt you or even power shield F-Smash. Perhaps the projectile game is not something to be completely relied on, but using close range tools do need the support of projectiles regardless of how less of a presence they may have.

Which comes to a very interesting point where Metal Blade seems to be the only projectile that seems to not be fazed by "Standing Shield." You may not get the full 6% - 10% damage you get with most of the cast, but you are still striving on hit stun for grabs or other hard punishes.

(Boy there are a lot of :4link: heads in the last three posts...)
Well, :4link: ain't no :4ganondorf: so I guess it isn't that bad XD
Althrough Link can't stop MB while standing, a simple crouch will let him block it , and Bombs stops Lemons all thay long. I think Plant Barrier and Skull Barrier are both useful here (PB might stop him in CQC ans SB reflects everything :mad: ). I do think that Hyper Bomb could be a nice trick here, but I'd need to test it with someone and I can't do it now :-/

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I know double posting is bad and everything, but I wanted to make another post since this one has nothing to do with the other.
I fell on an interesting match from a Japanese player on SHI-G's youtube channel, and it looks like I'm not the only one to like Ftilt->Nair.
C'mon now japanese players, why don't you tell us about your records ?

Mega Man vs Ludwig/Ganondorf
https://youtu.be/yVLRbKKGCKU

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'm noticing that a lot of players in my group are playing more patient. Many of them that I used to beat pretty easily are now just shielding/power shielding my projectiles and punishing my laggy attacks (and Mega Man has a lot of laggy attacks). We have to work really hard to condition opponents into doing what we want and punishing their patterns.

I fell on an interesting match from a Japanese player on SHI-G's youtube channel, and it looks like I'm not the only one to like Ftilt->Nair.

I love to ftilt > nair. That player was so on point with everything he did! That was a good player to watch.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've noticed that with customs on skull barrier really stops link from spamming things or at least makes him think twice about it. It reflects all of his prokectiles.

Without customs I try to use lemons to cancel out most of the projectiles and really just jump around the bombs.

I think a good link is quite a tough matchup for us. I've faced some really good ones on the ladder and they are tough to beat.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i only use lemons sparingly at links who know what theyre doing. good links know how much lemons lag, and when to go in, and juggle megaman. the more i use megaman, the more bad habits i pick up by thinking i'm safe with lemons when i'm not, and getting punished for doing something risky. i'm trying to condition myself to use lemons as a give me space option, and go in with metal blade a bit more

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
...And here comes another good japanese Mega Man. Why do the japanese players never manifest themselves, dangit ! :mad:

Mega Man vs. Lucina/Mario
https://youtu.be/mE4JzAmO4GM
Wow. 22 minutes of interesting stuff to watch. I only had/have time to watch the first match, but I noticed he NEVER used a smash attack and still dominated the match (only one up tilt too).

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I know double posting is bad and everything, but I wanted to make another post since this one has nothing to do with the other.

thats like the best Mwgaman player Ive seen, could someone explain me how to Ftilt>Nair I tried that but to short hop that lowand also advance while doing a nair is really difficult, can someone explain me please

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
That MegaMan looks like hes replicating how I play a bit but doesnt seem like hes going for reads or actually looking at what the opponent is doing. Just running a routine. He also doesnt save his jump and wastes it immediately.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
That MegaMan looks like hes replicating how I play a bit but doesnt seem like hes going for reads or actually looking at what the opponent is doing. Just running a routine. He also doesnt save his jump and wastes it immediately.
Yeah. After watching the rest of it, it isn't quite as stellar as I thought. He has some good moves for sure but lacking in something else. Like said in the quote, he's doing a lot of the same things but not really creating ideal situations for himself or conditioning his opponent.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yeah. After watching the rest of it, it isn't quite as stellar as I thought. He has some good moves for sure but lacking in something else. Like said in the quote, he's doing a lot of the same things but not really creating ideal situations for himself or conditioning his opponent.
I was watching and going OH OK I SEE YOU then I noticed it....lmao

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
You havent seen me do that before? Where have you been lol Its not really a combo. Works on floaties cause they arent close enough to punish aka mash.
Apparently I'm behind. I haven't been watching a whole lot of smash lately, tbh. Haven't seen you or zucco play in a long time and I only saw Greward's set vs a Lucario a while ago because it was posted and I had just played the matchup for the first timetime (competitively). Other than that, I've been playing locally and doing a lot more z-drop stuff in general to cover options and create traps for a more aggro game. The only other tech type thing I've seen that I didn't know before was SH item throw essentially autocancels for safe pressure against tall characters and that leads into stuff like usmash, utilt, rar bair... But that was like... March.

And I guess slow run stop>utilt to shorten the skid frames out of a run to punish laggy on stage recoveries.

I was surprised the uair came out after the NAir. Seems pretty frame tight if you do a true rising NAir instead of interrupting the startup of the pellet with a jump.

D

Deleted member

Anyone ever play a player that did this?

It wasn't until late that I really understood what he was doing. And as annoying as it was, I thought it was rather clever.

glenn

Smash Cadet

It wasn't until late that I really understood what he was doing. And as annoying as it was, I thought it was rather clever.
I actually like baiting out heavy characters into stealing my metal blade. I'll drop it near them and let them have it. It's an advantage not having to worry about half of their moves in neutral. If they throw metal blade they'll just take pellet damage. It reduces options really. The flip side of the coin is that I can't toss out metal blade anymore.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

I felt like I was playing pretty well but I over commit to a move before I see the opportunity. Also my spacing could use work. I didn't respect Bite as much as I should have. All and all, this is probably one of my better sets. If you have any suggestions or advice for what I could improve on in this MU, feel free to let me know. :]

D

Deleted member

Well, normally I don't mind. Because that just means more lemons. But Bowser has Tough Guy, and it can be a bit ridiculous.

In hindsight, I actually enjoyed the match for this reason. Forced me to be creative.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

I often do that on purpose. It deprives people of all of their standard moves. They become super predictable at that point.

glenn

Smash Cadet

I felt like I was playing pretty well but I over commit to a move before I see the opportunity. Also my spacing could use work. I didn't respect Bite as much as I should have. All and all, this is probably one of my better sets. If you have any suggestions or advice for what I could improve on in this MU, feel free to let me know. :]
One thing I noticed about your grab game on Wario is that you immediately throw. Even at max rage, Wario can survive back-throw to ludicrous percents. You might as well get some pummel damage first since he can't break out as quickly. I do this too, I'm conditioned to back-throw near the edge cause it's such a reliable kill on most of the cast, but that extra damage can seal it.

That aside, your Mega Man is so much fun to watch. Really excellent play in that set.

D

Deleted member

I often do that on purpose. It deprives people of all of their standard moves. They become super predictable at that point.
I've never seen it done so deliberately. It was annoying during the match, but incredibly clever and cunning!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just trowing out something : you can Utilt Wario's Bike and hit him while he is riding it (with the strong hitbox, that is).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just trowing out something : you can Utilt Wario's Bike and hit him while he is riding it (with the strong hitbox, that is).
Does it stagger the hitbox too like how Wario wafts on it? It so I will be looking to do that next time we play.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Does it stagger the hitbox too like how Wario wafts on it? It so I will be looking to do that next time we play.
I don't know what "stagger" means (yay new words), all I can say is that there are two things I know :
•I'll try to challenge Dash Attacks with Utilt to see what it does
•Utilt's invincibility frames can go through the Waft (but it is dangerous to even try, Shield/Dodge are safer)

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman

well, i'm gonna say this with constructive critcism and give you time stamps where it looks like things could be worked on. i know it may look like i'm nitpicking here, but in some moments, i can see you get good advantage of the match.

at :32, it'd be great to add pressure to wario with diagnoal metal blade. it looked like he probably wouldve shielded too, so it makes me feel like you should wait for an attack, and punish with a spaced fair if this were the scenario.

at 3:58, here's another opportunity for diagonal metal blade, and it looked like it was safe with the spacing you had.

at 5:01, diagnoal metal blade wouldve been a good option here. like you said, you felt like you overcommitted and bair is pretty commital with the end lag while landing with it on stage.

at 8:54, here's another safe diagnal metal blade.

overall, you do go for diagnal metal blade at other moments in the set, and it does convert you into advantageous positions. you got good spacing too. keep improving your diagnal metal blade moments. you're doing good. and it's showing.

P.S.
i notice you get a habit of rolling into your opponents when you're in a bad position. 4:16 btw, i tend to do this too sometimes. take note that your opponent is rushing you down, so run away until you get your spacing back.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I don't know what "stagger" means (yay new words), all I can say is that there are two things I know :
•I'll try to challenge Dash Attacks with Utilt to see what it does
•Utilt's invincibility frames can go through the Waft (but it is dangerous to even try, Shield/Dodge are safer)
By "stagger" stagger, he means extending the active hitboxes on attacks. Wario does this (in addition to expanding its range) by farting on his downed bike.

I've never seen it done so deliberately. It was annoying during the match, but incredibly clever and cunning!
Looking for some feedback here against a Diddy on the ladder I think he was silver rank.

I know I for sure used too many smash attacks

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7AKzUCs_9w
I'll say that you don't short hop enough and that you over commit to things. You also over commit to them very late. It looked like your reactions weren't really on point in that match and you did things way too early or way too late. Also too many smashes.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
just wondering.. how can u edge guard Luiigi? Once he is off the stage you literally cant meteor smash him because his up b is too, and his down be can only be hit right in the head, also it is very risky to go for the back air since he can down b you and that can kill u at early percentages, and metal blade do almost anything to him

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQKA1JfhSo

This G&W made me feel I have no grasp on MM at all... Mainly I'm still trying to figure out fluid/safe movement with MM. Should I be doing more full jumps and air dodging followed by aerials like he was doing? Less pellets? More aerial down MB? I'm still not in the habit of doing b reversed MB's much, when I do manage a b reversed MB it definitely helps my movement. Also I'm kinda miffed when comes to landing and recovering with MM in this match... And yea, I roll on stage too much!!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Apparently when playing on a Facebook group and looking or friendlies, I joined a rotation and started playing an hour of Fox/Pikachu/ZSS matches. A few weeks later, I find out I was playing on a stream and the VOD was archived!

http://www.twitch.tv/shofu/v/5708817?t=58m46s

It ends around 1:52:xx as I had to head out and sleep for work.

These weren't my best games but I was able to get some good matches against two characters (:4fox:/:4pikachu:) I hate playing against and one I have little to no experience fighting (:4zss:)

Critiques would be appreciated. Taking my performance win or lose with a grain of salt as these were wi-fi (obviously)

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, I have some more videos of my Mega Man from my local weekly that I would like to receive some feedback on.

Me vs. SOLO (:4dk:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNZCzBB9ZV8

Although I normally perform well against Solo, I choked badly game 2 and ended up eating a giant punch game 3 because I didn't know it had armor when it is fully charged.

Me vs. BrianYDG (:4jigglypuff:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0hjjgQaS1g

Brian is super good and has won every weekly so far except for one. He is also really with a lot of different characters, but his main character is normally Jiggs. I've played him in Grands every time I've attended this tournament and always lost 3-0, so some match up advice against Jiggs would be greatly appreciated. :laugh:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
vs DK you pull up a Leaf Shield when way to close, or even approaching with it, a little too often. You sometimes shoot, and land, only 1 jab. Go for all three, or at least 2, to rack up more dmg. I didn't see you using Rush to escape some juggles. A little too much Bairing at low dmg maybe?

vs Jiggly you seemed to jump a lot without doing anything and took some hits. He was very aggressive and accurate with rest!

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
vs DK you pull up a Leaf Shield when way to close, or even approaching with it, a little too often. You sometimes shoot, and land, only 1 jab. Go for all three, or at least 2, to rack up more dmg. I didn't see you using Rush to escape some juggles. A little too much Bairing at low dmg maybe?

vs Jiggly you seemed to jump a lot without doing anything and took some hits. He was very aggressive and accurate with rest!
Thank you so much for the advice! :b:

I'm going to the same tournament again today, so I'll be sure to keep this information in mind when I play.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Hey guys. I've been going to a lot of locals lately and went to this 87 man tourney and it was my first time experimenting with customs. I ended up 4th but the last 2 games I played terrible lol, probably the worse I had ever. I was on tilt after getting beat by a Sheik. Would like some constructive criticism though, I hope I don't ever play like this again x.x
(Me vs Neomadgic, last 2 games of the stream) http://www.twitch.tv/mnsmash/b/668181048?t=4h56m40s

Last edited:
Top Bottom