• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

shadydentist

Smash Lord
It is kind of weird that he says he doesn't think the Wii has a hard drive, so maybe he really doesn't know what he's talking about...or maybe he's playing stupid and hiding his lies!!!!!!!!!
The wii does not have a hard drive. What it has is flash memory, which has much less storage than a hard drive.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You're idiots, what else?

Wait, what?

You were right and I was wrong?

Hahahahahaha.

Since when? I NEVER said it was the complete truth that there was gonna be DLC. As I said millions of times but you can't read, I'm completely neutral on the subject, and personally I hate the idea of DLC because quite frankly I want my game like it is without falling into a cheap trick into buying extra elements from it. However, with you, you literally claimed there was not DLC Mewtwo or Roy because of some complete garbage reason you pulled out of your ***. While all I could tell you was the facts you just denied them.

Hell, Tfox could still be right, we don't know. IGN is very notorious for mistranslations ALL THE TIME. This is why, or one of the reasons why, IGN sucks ***. They've done it hundreds of times and I don't see why not. Or hell, even if they are right, Sakurai could be keeping it secret. Developers have done it many times. Remember the Sega Saturn and the surprise early release date? Maybe not since you seem to be a little kid, but I did.

Every opposing view from mine is false since mine is just pure facts and me being neutral on it.
Luke, please stop this bickering and flame war fighting. It is counter-productive and above all useless at this point. I am still waiting on a response from Tfox, however, chances are that it is 95% likely that Mewtwo & Roy will never be playable in Brawl.

This topic makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

DEEEENIIIIEEEEDDD
How can you be happy about the prospect of never getting future content. Are you saying that there was not one of the Forbidden 7 that you would have liked to see completed or playable? You mean to tell me that you would not have liked to see those 50+ music tracks make it into Brawl at some point?

Pokemon fans, including Serebii, SUCK then...

**** pokemon fans...

Mewtwo is awesome
I think Serebii will be a big obstacle in my mission to bring Mewtwo & Roy back for Smash 4.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I know it's grasping at straws (and I don't believe it myself) but the only thing mentioned is WiiConnect24. Not WiiWare or the Shop Channel...so maybe he's telling a creative misdirecting truth...Waiting to blow us away at his talk...

Now back to reality. It's too bad...but there's nothing we can do! Oh well! So I plan to enjoy what we were given. What will you do?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
The wii does not have a hard drive. What it has is flash memory, which has much less storage than a hard drive.
Okay, you got me, flash memory, which is basically a smaller version of what a hard-drive does.
Luke, please stop this bickering and flame war fighting. It is counter-productive and above all useless at this point.
No it isn't, especially when you got a legion of ***** ignorant to the facts about IGN and their ***gotry. That, and in general, how gaming business works.
I am still waiting on a response from Tfox, however, chances are that it is 95% likely that Mewtwo & Roy will never be playable in Brawl..
I know, and that's NOT what I'm supporting. Like I said, I do not support Mewtwo and Roy returning even though I guess it would be an okay addition (except for Roy, he was a ****ty character). I did support Tfox, though, which people were ignorant about. And right now, with people supporting IGN, I'm telling them the facts about WHY they shouldn't support IGN completely because of their notoriety.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
In a different fashion. I'm not sure of the specifics...but aren't there differences in speed as well? I'm pretty sure Flash and Hard Drives are fundamentally different in more ways than size.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Do you think a Mewtwo & Roy alliance could work? Roy by himself does not have enough fans to return in Smash 4, though he is far more popular than both Doc & Pichu. My fear is that some Mewtwo fans will take it as an insult to be grouped with Roy. I will try my best to repent for the false hope that my curiosity spread, and I think by helping to give us Roy & Mewtwo fans a shot at getting both characters to return in Smash 4, would be the best way to do just that.

However, keep in mind I have no idea how online petitions work, and I may ask Serebii himself as to how he submitted that "Cut Mewtwo out of Smash Bros. 3" petition.
Im sure it would. I dont think too many Mewtwo fans would object except the proud or insecure, and since both were seriously considered for Brawl judging from the leftover code, they are obviously not on the same level as Pichu and Doc who were probably the first dropped. I know the petition actually reached Nintendo ears, so it must have been effectively made.

You know, I actually know one user on Gamefaqs who took part in the petition called "Mewtwo_Soul"... if I ever see him, I will be sure to question him about the process sometime if you dont. And for future reference Chrono, I go by the name of "reaverz" on Gamefaqs, so if you see me around there I will be sure to help you out whenever I can if you try to make progress there.

You're idiots, what else?

Wait, what?

You were right and I was wrong?

Hahahahahaha.

Since when? I NEVER said it was the complete truth that there was gonna be DLC. As I said millions of times but you can't read, I'm completely neutral on the subject, and personally I hate the idea of DLC because quite frankly I want my game like it is without falling into a cheap trick into buying extra elements from it. However, with you, you literally claimed there was not DLC Mewtwo or Roy because of some complete garbage reason you pulled out of your ***. While all I could tell you was the facts you just denied them.

Hell, Tfox could still be right, we don't know. IGN is very notorious for mistranslations ALL THE TIME. This is why, or one of the reasons why, IGN sucks ***. They've done it hundreds of times and I don't see why not. Or hell, even if they are right, Sakurai could be keeping it secret. Developers have done it many times. Remember the Sega Saturn and the surprise early release date? Maybe not since you seem to be a little kid, but I did.

Every opposing view from mine is false since mine is just pure facts and me being neutral on it.
You remind me of Maddox. :\

Anyway, you claimed you were neutral, but you constantly leaned toward the side of Tfox telling the truth. Maybe you just used it as an excuse to argue with me, I can't say for sure. Perhaps I misread. And despite what you constantly repeat over and over, my logic is reasonable. While it never guaranteed the absence of Mewtwo/Krystal/etc., it does not make sense for a trophy to be placed in the game before the download of the corresponding character when the trophy information could be downloaded along with the character, along with the Kirby hats and Snake codecs.

I would also like a link that proves what you're saying about IGN. God knows they're not the best source in the world, but it's not that hard to translate the word "No."

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Luke, please stop this bickering and flame war fighting. It is counter-productive and above all useless at this point. I am still waiting on a response from Tfox, however, chances are that it is 95% likely that Mewtwo & Roy will never be playable in Brawl.

How can you be happy about the prospect of never getting future content. Are you saying that there was not one of the Forbidden 7 that you would have liked to see completed or playable? You mean to tell me that you would not have liked to see those 50+ music tracks make it into Brawl at some point?

I think Serebii will be a big obstacle in my mission to bring Mewtwo & Roy back for Smash 4.
If he and a few others want to have at it, that's fine by me. I just wish he would stop using gay slurs. I'm not even gay and I still take offense to his wanton use of "***got," "***," and "***gotry" as derogatory remarks. It's the same principle behind my objection to the use of the "N-word" in a derogatory context. If you want to cuss up and down, go ahead--but I do think that these particular words transcend swearing and enter into the realm of hate speech, intentionally or not, mainly because of the way in which the words are being used.

Truth be told, none of the "Forbidden 7" really piqued my interest. I was (and still am!) a devout Claus / Masked Man supporter, so he and a few choice others (Takamaru, Sukapon, Midna, etc.) would be the only characters that would truly "excite" me, as far as DLC might go. I would, however, absolutely love to see all the missing music tracks in Brawl; even if they weren't in Brawl, I would still at least like to hear them.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
First, there is something wrong with anyone who would impede other's enjoyment of this game by NOT wanting DLC. If you don't want it, DON'T get it.

There is also something wrong with anyone who continues to personally argue this matter for no other reason than to defend their own "honor." Seriously, it is a F***ING message board. Get over your god**** ego and just let it go. Right or wrong, you ALL look like idiots insulting each other and getting emotional over small details about a video game.

Anyways, IMO that interview 95% shuts the door on DLC, if not more. Sakurai said I don't think and etc., but that seemed to just be his style of talking. He didn't seem to want to state any certainties but it was clear he knew what he wanted to say. The way he talked about the game, it really seems like he believes it is 100% done and perfect and it couldn't be improved much more. Disappointing, yes, but apparent.

I'm still disappointed but the truth is I've cared less and less every passing week. The game looks amazing and the only thing I really want right now is to be able to play it.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Two things about this that made me skeptic.

A) It was posted by IGN. It may just be me but I kind of have lost trust in IGN in the course of the past few months. I don't trust it totally but I believe it to be true.

B)At first Sakurai says "No" very final. Then he goes on to say "I don't think so". That was the only thing that made it seem a little "Hmmm.."-ish.

Other than that, I find it to be possibly true. Not to say I really care. If they want to add other features on to the game that way, then great. If not, well then I'm satisfied with what we currently have. :]

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You remind me of Maddox. :\
No Maddox is a ***got who's in love with ******** and ****ty Chuck Norris jokes and is ALWAYS wrong about the facts. I'm the complete opposite of that and always right about the facts.
Anyway, you claimed you were neutral, but you constantly leaned toward the side of Tfox telling the truth.
Yes because most likely he was because of his past experience. Just as much as Serebii or reidman was most likely to be telling the truth due to all their similar notoriety (in which, they happened to be). While you, on the other hand, CLAIMED him to be completely false on all accounts because of your garbage reason with Mewtwo. I just told you the facts and told you that had no effect on whether Mewtwo would be in the US version of Brawl or not.
Maybe you just used it as an excuse to argue with me, I can't say for sure. Perhaps I misread.
More like you took it the wrong way and was a crybaby about how I used one or two "curse" words in my posts.
And despite what you constantly repeat over and over, my logic is reasonable. While it never guaranteed the absence of Mewtwo/Krystal/etc., it does not make sense for a trophy to be placed in the game before the download of the corresponding character when the trophy information could be downloaded along with the character, along with the Kirby hats and Snake codecs.
The only reasonable thing for it is that it might be a possibility to support Mewtwo's noninclusion in Brawl. However, again, you claimed it to be as a fact which it was not. It would be fine if you said, "Mewtwo's already a trophy so that might affect his chances." and that be completely reasonable, but you didn't.
I would also like a link that proves what you're saying about IGN. God knows they're not the best source in the world, but it's not that hard to translate the word "No."
I'll try looking for one but don't expect it soon.

And yes, No can be mistranslated in between the Japanese and English languages if you don't know what you're doing. "No" could've been part of a bigger Japanese sentence that was all interconnected in a different structure to the English language and the English translated could've perceived it was "No. *insert explanation here*" Hell, maybe even the English to Japanese translation of the question to Sakurai could've been ****ed up, even if it's accurate.

No Maddox is a ***got who's in love with ******** and ****ty Chuck Norris jokes and is ALWAYS wrong about the facts. I'm the complete opposite of that and always right about the facts.

Yes because most likely he was because of his past experience. Just as much as Serebii or reidman was most likely to be telling the truth due to all their similar notoriety (in which, they happened to be). While you, on the other hand, CLAIMED him to be completely false on all accounts because of your garbage reason with Mewtwo. I just told you the facts and told you that had no effect on whether Mewtwo would be in the US version of Brawl or not.

More like you took it the wrong way and was a crybaby about how I used one or two "curse" words in my posts.

The only reasonable thing for it is that it might be a possibility to support Mewtwo's noninclusion in Brawl. However, again, you claimed it to be as a fact which it was not. It would be fine if you said, "Mewtwo's already a trophy so that might affect his chances." and that be completely reasonable, but you didn't.

I'll try looking for one but don't expect it soon.

And yes, No can be mistranslated in between the Japanese and English languages if you don't know what you're doing. "No" could've been part of a bigger Japanese sentence that was all interconnected in a different structure to the English language and the English translated could've perceived it was "No. *insert explanation here*" Hell, maybe even the English to Japanese translation of the question to Sakurai could've been ****ed up, even if it's accurate.
Final-f*cking-ly.

Thank you for giving actual non-inflammatory answers.

I admit that I was exaggerated my theory about Mewtwo. I'm sorry about that, but I honestly was 100% sure my theory was correct and I probably got carried away.

By the way, curse all you want. I could care less.

And Maddox is a f*ckwit. Glad we agree on at least one thing.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
While I've always had a hard time taking Sakurai's word at face value ("Only once" "Up until now"), I don't expect to see downloadable characters. Ever. The Wii just doesn't have the fire power to pull it off. They really should have put more flash memory on the thing; I barely have any games for the system and it's already nearly full. -_-

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Another IGN interview I found interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up because it won't happen. But I am a tad confused by this guy's wording (and I think he's a native English speaker too)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853752p2.html

IGN: What specific Wii functionality will creators have access to when making a Wii Ware game? Can they save to SD? Can they do online? Wii Connect 24? Is it like a smaller (but full) Wii product, or is it standalone?

Prata: The Wii Ware developers will have access to the same functionality as they would a regular Wii disc game. The specifics you mentioned such as SD and online, Wii Connect 24, and episodic content is all there. They key point I want to stress though is that it isn't required. Sometimes you make a game and it's best expressed as a single player game or multiplayer game, and the advantage here is that we're leaving it to the creators to focus their resources on the areas that best express their ideas. We won't force their hand into functions or features that may or may not add value to the consumer.
I wasn't aware any Wii games HAD episodic content...I can't seem to think of any offhand, can you?

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
While I've always had a hard time taking Sakurai's word at face value ("Only once" "Up until now"), I don't expect to see downloadable characters. Ever. The Wii just doesn't have the fire power to pull it off. They really should have put more flash memory on the thing; I barely have any games for the system and it's already nearly full. -_-
The wii has plenty of fire power! if characters became dlc then they would round to 30mb
the wii has 500mb not only that but you can save data to an sd card. So go buy an sd card!!!!

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
The wii has plenty of fire power! if characters became dlc then they would round to 30mb
the wii has 500mb not only that but you can save data to an sd card. So go buy an sd card!!!!
Regardless, Sakurai outright said there won't be DLC.

Sakurai, c'mon man ... that's kind of lame.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
This is a good thing, why? Because it stops all the speculation, that's it for now, Brawl is Brawl, all we can speculate on is SSB4, which will likely not come around for a long time, if ever.

I'm not too sure why people believed it in the first place. The Wii can't really handle dlc, and especially not for big things like characters. It's a shame IGN didn't ask about the forbidden 7 though, I guess Sakurai would be upset if he heard the Smash Community had already hacked deep into the disc data!

MechaChief

Smash Rookie
Though I can have a realistic point of view, right now I'm going to lead a blindingly-optimistic mind and hope, pray, whatever, that Mewtwo is in the game, but if not.....

Do you think a Mewtwo & Roy alliance could work? Roy by himself does not have enough fans to return in Smash 4, though he is far more popular than both Doc & Pichu. My fear is that some Mewtwo fans will take it as an insult to be grouped with Roy. I will try my best to repent for the false hope that my curiosity spread, and I think by helping to give us Roy & Mewtwo fans a shot at getting both characters to return in Smash 4, would be the best way to do just that.

However, keep in mind I have no idea how online petitions work, and I may ask Serebii himself as to how he submitted that "Cut Mewtwo out of Smash Bros. 3" petition.
If Mewtwo is not going to be in Brawl, Chrono, I will definitely ally with whoever to get Mewtwo into Smash (whether in some sort of DLC or just Smash 4 if need be)!

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
If Nintendo's 8th gen console cannot do dlc either, then Nintendo ultimately fail at making consoles. 8th gen should be a lot more powerful than Wii, I'd like to say AT LEAST as powerful as the PS3, but I'm beginning to think that 8th gen may be the first console generation EVER to have a console WEAKER than last gen.

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
Well if there is anything good to come out of him flat out saying it's out, it would have to be getting rid of all those 'what other dc will we have' threads.

Regardless hands down one of the best games I've ever played and that's only the Japanese version.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Heh, false hopes.

However, part of the rumor wasn't killed after all (yo, go ahead, troll me whatever, but I will keep on).

Part of this interview just denied the DLC, however, Roy and Mewtwo can still get fully coded for the US/PAL versions.

I'm not trying to get hopes up to anybody, I AM NOT. I'm just saying something that sounds logical.

Edit: Also, I do know this sounds insulting maybe for Japan, but hey, I'm just saying what I understand.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
they asked all the wrong questions. I ended up skipping 80% of the questions i asked because i felt they were irrelevant questions and couldnt really care much to know the answer. I tried browsing through some key points that have not been addressed on the dojo like his view of pleasing competitive players and possibly reasoning for tripping, and a few other things. Unfortunately there were no answers to any of my questions. Very disappointing considering the chance they had.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Heh, false hopes.

However, part of the rumor wasn't killed after all (yo, go ahead, troll me whatever, but I will keep on).

Part of this interview just denied the DLC, however, Roy and Mewtwo can still get fully coded for the US/PAL versions.

I'm not trying to get hopes up to anybody, I AM NOT. I'm just saying something that sounds logical.

Edit: Also, I do know this sounds insulting maybe for Japan, but hey, I'm just saying what I understand.

I was noticing this too. IGN did a great job of debunking DLC, but likely should have asked something more general. They asked specifically about WiiConnect and DLC. They didn't ask about any other means of adding characters (whatever those may be).

I know it sounds silly, but it's another loophole people will probably now jump through.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I was noticing this too. IGN did a great job of debunking DLC, but likely should have asked something more general. They asked specifically about WiiConnect and DLC. They didn't ask about any other means of adding characters (whatever those may be).

I know it sounds silly, but it's another loophole people will probably now jump through.
Thanks a lot for reading my post, I appreciate it.

I agree, people maybe will go on this loophole now.

It seems that some people actually do bother in reading and understanding an interview. However, it's better not to get too hyped up.

Oh, TFox had said something days ago, maybe you want to know it?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/...s.php?topic_id=m-1-41477879&pid=928518&page=0

A. If they make it on the Brawl disk, they will be DLC in Japan.
B. If the deadline isn't met, the content may be delayed. Japan won't have a problem with it, but until US/others have wiiware maybe, or until a solution is found. They have invested into it, and I truly believe we'll see it one way or another.
C. If one country has it, and the other doesn't, online is region locked. And if one player is missing the content, it would be resolved as of a patch. It would be as if you were playing against a character you haven't unlocked yet.
D. While some people may doubt me, it is fine. I 100% believe my source, he's never failed me before.
E. Please realize that leakers/ informers have limited information based on what their source tells them. Aside from raw data and good faith, they have to justify their claims with their own opinions. So I have info on these two characters; but it doesn't mean I know their moves, placement on the roster, or other characters.
F. Those are the most consistent inaccuracies there are. If there are others, I'll do my best to clarify on them.
So far, A. and B. options seem to be debunked.

AGAIN, Roy and Mewtwo fans, do not get too hyped up, please. DO NOT DO IT.

Thanks.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
i am going to kill myself if Nintendo does not release some sort of external hard drive or something of that caliber...........SOON..............perhaps they will announce something at GDC, but unlikely

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
people who think there are gonna be dlc now are like the people who though Sonic would be in after Sega said he wouldnt be

...oh, wait.

seriously though. No DLC. Mewtroy rumor = debunked.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
The one thing I would tell everyone is not to be so ure. Remember our buddy Ness? I was one of the few who got laughed at and ridiculed for thinking he would still be in. And look what happened. I support DLC, and there was an I don't think so in Sakurai's statement, so technically there is still hope. Don't Flame, please.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
people who think there are gonna be dlc now are like the people who though Sonic would be in after Sega said he wouldnt be

...oh, wait.

seriously though. No DLC. Mewtroy rumor = debunked.
Just half of it.

Go back to page 10, and read some posts and you'll understand.

MechaChief

Smash Rookie
I believe Tfox didn't lie, he just got either wrong or half wrong info, it sucks to be a leaker cause if you are, you take a chance of being ostracized by the community for a faulty source, but I believe Chrono and Tfox aren't in such a bad situation.

Jacobcc

Smash Journeyman
IGN: We have to ask because there are so many rumors about this. Are there any hidden characters to come? Can you unlock more hidden fighters by way of WiiConnect24 or will you offer new downloadable content -- new fighters, for example. -- using the service?

Masahiro Sakurai: No. There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion. And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen.

You saw it right here...right then.
All the speculation should stop now.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p2.html
^ source
Well, i think everyone moreless knew that there wasn't going to be downloadable characters from day one. But at least it's confirmed now, right? :)

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .**** YOU IGN!!!

They asked for alot of useless info. WTH was up with all the Online focus? Why no V chat?/ Why not reg Chat?/ Why no leader broad?/ Why no ranking?

And did Sakurai just blame Nintendo for no real chat ANTHAN latter on say he didn't want it himself? (That part about FPS and first time online people being cussed at and insulted)

They could have atleast tried to throw us another bone and ask why characters (mainly Mew2) where cut.:(
Or about how the idea for PT came across and how hard was it to pull off PT.

Oh well. . . Debunked something it seems. And there was alot of talk about SSB4. . .doesn't seem like he is uber interested in making another one with all the stuff in brawl.

Gamer_Matt

Smash Cadet
yea i dont think there will be any downloadable characters...

but i think they shouldv made a character builder where u can build ur own character and movesets...

Top Bottom