• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

Chepe

Smash Lord
Also was the fact that Mewtwo and Roy seem to be the most complete of the cut characters which made it more possible...

I hope you are aware that these boards need more people like you Chrono, especially in the coming months... Either way, do tell us when Tfox gets back to you Chrono, Id really like to see his explanation...

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Games do not die.
Great job. Just ignore the rest of my post to make a quick joke at my expense. I'm getting ready to see what GameFAQs is actually like now... I knew I should have stopped coming to these stupid internet forums.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
To bad, and I was just starting to think how a fencing Roy would have been like.

Not like it matters though. I'm sure once the game comes out all of you will find a character you like regardless.

Also, I blame the SSE for this...

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Great job. Just ignore the rest of my post to make a quick joke at my expense. I'm getting ready to see what GameFAQs is actually like now... I knew I should have stopped coming to these stupid internet forums.
Truly the internet is a cruel place, as is life.

Anyway, my point is you act like Melee will be thrown away and forgotten. On that account, I say you are wrong.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Lol, watch everyone think this is a ligament answer and it turns out there's DLC.

But wtf? Sakurai said the Wii has no hard drive? O_o The Wii DOES have a hard drive, even one that could possibly hold characters. And you don't even need a hard drive to hold characters, it's basically to re-write on saved data without anything taking up space other than the pre-set saved data. You'd think Sakurai would know this.

I never liked the idea of DLC characters, though, I think the roster we got is fine.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
If your dog dies your not just going to forget about it immediately and buy a new one are you? I've been playing Melee since it came out, and now two of my favorite characters are gone. I know Dr. Mario wasn't a unique character in anyway, but he was still one of my favorites and has been for about six years now. He's probably the only character I've played consistently for that time, and I'm really going to miss being able to use him. I always liked Mewtwo too, even though I suck with him, and now I won't even get a chance to use him in Brawl. I was actually planning on getting good with him when the game came out, but now he's not even in it.

I'm disappointed and confused by this. I know I should be happy with what I'm getting, but it could have been so much more with just one feature. As it is now, it'll probably be the greatest game I've ever played, but it could have been the ultimate game. A consistently updated game would allow all those people that whined about who made it and who didn't could have been satisfied. The game could have been kept fresh for the life of the Wii, which would have been perfect since that's probably how long it'll be until we get another Smash Bros. As long as the game was supported, it wouldn't have needed a sequel as long as we kept getting new stuff.

The thing that confuses me though is how is the Wii incapable of it? I'm probably just stupid for saying this, but I've seen other people say the same things and I've yet to see somebody correct them. We're already getting DLC for this game with the stage builder, replays and screenshots, and we can download full games to the Wii. Isn't it possible to just use SD cards to save this stuff too?
I wouldn't compare a pet to a video game personally......

In my case I'm not really sad at all that Roy and Mewtwo are out. Mewtwo was pretty cool and I might feel a very smal bit of disipointment. But if I could add more characters through DLC and I could choose he probably wouldn't be one of the top 10.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
"And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen."

ok thats all great and all but my biff is If he doesn't know you can download games off the wii shop as that is one of the wii's features why the hell did nintendo recruit him?!? How can you create a game on a system you dont know much about?!? How did he think we would 'save' our game!!! And he knows about the 1 to 2 gb sd slot so I say he is full of it.

and thats one reason i dont buy all this ign deal........

sounds way to fishy and by the way we will have dlc in the form of user created stages so there "how the hell can we do that with out a hard drive?"

500mb is a pathetic excuse but it is still an excuse!

Im getting off my soap box now -_-

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Lol, watch everyone think this is a ligament answer and it turns out there's DLC.

But wtf? Sakurai said the Wii has no hard drive? O_o The Wii DOES have a hard drive, even one that could possibly hold characters. And you don't even need a hard drive to hold characters, it's basically to re-write on saved data without anything taking up space other than the pre-set saved data. You'd think Sakurai would know this.

I never liked the idea of DLC characters, though, I think the roster we got is fine.
I don't think the memory the Wii has is the same as a hard drive. I don't know how all that works, but I know no one ever calls it a hard drive.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Truly the internet is a cruel place, as is life.

Anyway, my point is you act like Melee will be thrown away and forgotten. On that account, I say you are wrong.
It won't be completely, no good game ever is, but it will be in a way. If you could have almost the same game but with more stuff in it, why would you go back to the old one? Smash 64 is fun for nostalgia sometimes, but it can't just compete with Melee. If the same happens for Brawl, then I'm only going to be playing Melee for the memories, and regretting that some of my favorite parts from it are missing from the game I'd rather be playing.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Let it go, man.
Or how about you stop being an ignorant **** and just leave?

To be honest, while he could've said that, IGN isn't very good at translating things properly, so something could've been misinformed on that side (seriously, they do that all the **** time when they interview Japanese people). While I honestly don't want DLC, the fact of the matter is that you can't take this too seriously unless we get it from an eligible source (as in, NOT IGN).
I don't think the memory the Wii has is the same as a hard drive. I don't know how all that works, but I know no one ever calls it a hard drive.
No, it HAS a hard-drive. It's around 500 MB. It's small, but completely able to handle characters which would range around 50 MB at highest. But aside from that, a better and more space-saving alternative is just having the download edit the memory of your Brawl game that is saved on the Wii's hard drive and add the missing elements needed for dropped characters in the game data.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
It won't be completely, no good game ever is, but it will be in a way. If you could have almost the same game but with more stuff in it, why would you go back to the old one? Smash 64 is fun for nostalgia sometimes, but it can't just compete with Melee. If the same happens for Brawl, then I'm only going to be playing Melee for the memories, and regretting that some of my favorite parts from it are missing from the game I'd rather be playing.
Well I hope you cope with that eventually.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
To bad, and I was just starting to think how a fencing Roy would have been like.

Not like it matters though. I'm sure once the game comes out all of you will find a character you like regardless.

Also, I blame the SSE for this...
Ever since the 35-character roster was looking to be the real deal, I knew one of the main culprits for it was the SSE, as well as Ridley not being playable due to Sakurai thinking he was better off as a boss.

If I don't leave, I will change my purpose. One of the reasons cited for Mewtwo leaving Brawl was that a bunch of Pokemon fans such as Serebii drafted up a petition to have him cut out of the game. If Nintendo listens to petions such as this one (barring NOA with Mother, NOA hates the Mother series with a passion), then maybe they will listen to a peitoon that I am planning for Smash 4.

I am planning on uniting all the Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu fans. The petition will be for all of the cut Melee characters to return in Smash 4. Only Mewetwo alone has enough of a fanbase to return in the next one, however, if we group all of our characters together, then we can all win. My plan is not just limited to SmashBoards. I plan to unite these fans of GameFAQs, IGN, Serebii.net (though Joe will probably object since he was the one that wanted Mewtwo to be cut to begin with), and all the sites that have fanbases for any of these four characters. My work will be tedious and will takes years before the fruits of their effort is realized, that is if a future Smash is ever made. I know that I will face a storm of resistance for wanting all these "junk" characters back, however, in a way they are a part of the Smash "family" and they deserve to be reunited with their fellow Smash fighters in the next game. However, this may be just my current rage trying to reconcile all the stress I am feeling now that I looked to be a fool, for contacting Tfox in the first place (Tfox's last log-in on GameFAQs was before this news article was posted).

Also, I don't like Sakurai's smug attitude, however, that may be another wall-of-text for another time....

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Ok not to cause any problems, but this only proves there there is no dlc. That does not mean that the characters that are claimed to possibly appear in US version are not going to appear. Its not like there's a force stopping them from doing that. I mean Nintendo has released games in japan that never came out in the US why can't they do the same for us with 2 characters? And even then it does not mean the can't find some other way to give Japan the characters (like release a newer version of brawl in the future or did what Bungie with Halo 2 maps)

Just saying its still possible although now i doubt it even more.

Metallic_Igloo

Smash Apprentice
It is kind of weird that he says he doesn't think the Wii has a hard drive, so maybe he really doesn't know what he's talking about...or maybe he's playing stupid and hiding his lies!!!!!!!!!

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
It could happen maybe if Nintendo decided to be nice and give us a Wii HDD. But not until that happened, and character updates would be few and far between.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I will definitely look out for that petition, even if I think Pichu and Dr. Mario would be lost causes that would only worsen the others' chances if included in the same petition... But Mewtwo definitely needs to return, and Roy would be cool to have back.

If you go on a hiatus, at least drop by from time to time to tell us how the petition plans are going...

Gillenium

Smash Rookie
Some good journalism from IGN today. I'm glad they cleared this stuff up. They obviously read through forums like this to see what people really want to know.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
It's harder than you think if you got mediocre translators working for ya. Japanese language structure is VERY different from English's, so it's mildly understandable.
I suppose you know IGN's staff personally. And you don't need to tell me about the structure of Japanese.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
This Proves Nothing, Companies Don't Always Reveal Stuff In Interviews, And They Certainly Don't Spoil Big Announcements In This Fashion.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I suppose you know IGN's staff personally. And you don't need to tell me about the structure of Japanese.
No, I don't know them personally, but they've gotten stuff wrong many many times in the past where they interview a Japanese person and they'd say something wasn't gonna happen in their game or whatever, and then it turns out it was.

It's really one of the few reasons why I hate IGN, I could really go on with other reasons but this isn't the thread.

Well I'm not leaving until you stop being a ***got, so when will this be?
I really am curious, what exactly is your vendetta against me and Nuvia? We were right, you were wrong. No need to drag it out further than this.

If you act this way to everyone with opposing views to yours, most people just perceive you as a cockwipe.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
No, I don't know them personally, but they've gotten stuff wrong many many times in the past where they interview a Japanese person and they'd say something wasn't gonna happen in their game or whatever, and then it turns out it was.
Hm... would you happen to have any links?

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I really am curious, what exactly is your vendetta against me and Nuvia? We were right, you were wrong. No need to drag it out further than this.

If you act this way to everyone with opposing views to yours, most people just perceive you as a cockwipe.
I know you're happy to be right and all...but acting the way you are is just as sure a path to the banhammer as that other guy's ranting. You may wanna rein it in.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
If I don't leave, I will change my purpose. One of the reasons cited for Mewtwo leaving Brawl was that a bunch of Pokemon fans such as Serebii drafted up a petition to have him cut out of the game. If Nintendo listens to petions such as this one (barring NOA with Mother, NOA hates the Mother series with a passion), then maybe they will listen to a peitoon that I am planning for Smash 4.
wow, some pokemon fans actually dissed mewtwo.
whats wrong with them.

I know you're happy to be right and all...but acting the way you are is just as sure a path to the banhammer as that other guy's ranting. You may wanna rein it in.
I'm keeping track of my infractions. That statement will probably get me banned for a few days, but it doesn't really matter. I'm not doing anything outrageous.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will definitely look out for that petition, even if I think Pichu and Dr. Mario would be lost causes that would only worsen the others' chances if included in the same petition... But Mewtwo definitely needs to return, and Roy would be cool to have back.

If you go on a hiatus, at least drop by from time to time to tell us how the petition plans are going...
Do you think a Mewtwo & Roy alliance could work? Roy by himself does not have enough fans to return in Smash 4, though he is far more popular than both Doc & Pichu. My fear is that some Mewtwo fans will take it as an insult to be grouped with Roy. I will try my best to repent for the false hope that my curiosity spread, and I think by helping to give us Roy & Mewtwo fans a shot at getting both characters to return in Smash 4, would be the best way to do just that.

However, keep in mind I have no idea how online petitions work, and I may ask Serebii himself as to how he submitted that "Cut Mewtwo out of Smash Bros. 3" petition.

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
It is kind of weird that he says he doesn't think the Wii has a hard drive, so maybe he really doesn't know what he's talking about...or maybe he's playing stupid and hiding his lies!!!!!!!!!
Nintendo helped along with development. I would think Sakurai would know the system's limits since Nintendo had helped along the way.

As of now I don't expect the see new special downloadable characters now since now Sakurai is going back to work on Sora LTD while trying to make a new game for any systems now apparantly.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I really am curious, what exactly is your vendetta against me and Nuvia?
You're idiots, what else?
We were right, you were wrong. No need to drag it out further than this.
Wait, what?

You were right and I was wrong?

Hahahahahaha.

Since when? I NEVER said it was the complete truth that there was gonna be DLC. As I said millions of times but you can't read, I'm completely neutral on the subject, and personally I hate the idea of DLC because quite frankly I want my game like it is without falling into a cheap trick into buying extra elements from it. However, with you, you literally claimed there was not DLC Mewtwo or Roy because of some complete garbage reason you pulled out of your ***. While all I could tell you was the facts you just denied them.

Hell, Tfox could still be right, we don't know. IGN is very notorious for mistranslations ALL THE TIME. This is why, or one of the reasons why, IGN sucks ***. They've done it hundreds of times and I don't see why not. Or hell, even if they are right, Sakurai could be keeping it secret. Developers have done it many times. Remember the Sega Saturn and the surprise early release date? Maybe not since you seem to be a little kid, but I did.
Every opposing view from mine is false since mine is just pure facts and me being neutral on it.
Hm... would you happen to have any links?
I wish I could, but honestly I don't keep up with IGN anymore so I really don't feel like searching through a swarm of interviews to find one of them interviewing a Japanese guy about a game that is yet to be released to find out if there's any right or wrong. I do know that they are notorious for many things, with mistranslations and being wrong about future games being two of them, and even seen them do it tons of times in the past.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon fans, including Serebii, SUCK then...

**** pokemon fans...

Mewtwo is awesome

Chepe

Smash Lord
wow, some pokemon fans actually dissed mewtwo.
whats wrong with them.
They were appalled at how bad he was and preferred that he never came back in Smash again... ugh, and a lot of them are now Mewtwo supporters which is the worst part of it all. At least we know Mewtwo was in the Brawl until very late in development judging from the game's code...

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
o.o..wow this thread exploded...
I'm going to bed now...i'll check back to see where this leads to after college tommrow...
Have fun guys >_>

Top Bottom