• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Not that its bad to have more stuff, but the pricing scheme on most downloadable content is just absurd. Look at the tracks being released for Guitar Hero and Rock Band... Theres a fine line between giving players more content and holding content hostage.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Today is Sakurai's speech. Since DLC is out of the question, I want him to at least explain why he cut Mewtwo & Roy.

Also, Tfox said that he should probably get a response back from his source either today or tomorrow.

I don't care if the only two DLC characters we ever would get gotten be Mewtwo & Roy, since I feel those two should not have been cut in the first place.

From Sakurai's interview, he seems clear that Brawl will be the only Smash Bros. game to be made this generation. At least with Tekken and Virtua Fighter there are at least two installments released a generation. I am guessing there will be another six year interval between Brawl and Smash 4, which is why I was hoping that the two characters in question with this rumor would be returning.

Oh well, at least Roy & Mewtwo give me a reason to keep playing Melee. :ohwell:

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
You ain't gotta convince me. I used to frequent a rival Pokemon forum and it's a known fact that Serebii has flat out stolen info from them and used on his site as his own. No props, no acknowledgement, no apology after he got caught, just denials. Infact, in his chatroom on the same server as the rival forum, he openly berates them.

But still, being a douchebag is one thing. Wanting a character out of the game just to be a jerk is another and a stretch.
I havent stolen since 2001. I have made my site up on my own hard work and sources since then. Please stop slandering me. I do not appreciate it

Unless you have proof that I have stolen since then (none of which exists), then kindly shut the flying feck up

No no, there's a LOT to hate on Serebii about, especially when you've seen all of the crap he's pulled in the past and still does today.
Examples please?

Didn't Serebii say that he said downloadable characters are in or not?
Have always said they wont

If I don't leave, I will change my purpose. One of the reasons cited for Mewtwo leaving Brawl was that a bunch of Pokemon fans such as Serebii drafted up a petition to have him cut out of the game. If Nintendo listens to petions such as this one (barring NOA with Mother, NOA hates the Mother series with a passion), then maybe they will listen to a peitoon that I am planning for Smash 4.
I did no such thing. I neither started nor partook in any petition and dont appreciate the incinuation

Now, are we done or am I going to have to beat you all with a mace til you stop badmouthing me for no reason except your insane theories about DLC got proven wrong?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Go go Serebii :D

Also, I am fed up of all these people who call Sakurai a liar. Sakurai has never lied.

Captain Falcon was revealed on the Dojo today. Sakurai says he is manly and macho. By definition all the Sakurai hate should stop forever.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Examples please?
I was thinking the same thing, lol.

Go go Serebii :D

Also, I am fed up of all these people who call Sakurai a liar. Sakurai has never lied.

Captain Falcon was revealed on the Dojo today. Sakurai says he is manly and macho. By definition all the Sakurai hate should stop forever.
I can totally picture Serebii singing "Go K.K. Rider!" now. :laugh:

Agreed with Sakurai, though. To the best of my knowledge, he has never out-and-out lied to us about anything.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Sakurai said no in a IGN interview

That being said, it was before his big conference, and I still stand behind my view that if he did include it, he would announce it there, thus he had to lie to IGN to not spoil it.

There's still a very small slimmer of hope, but it's not looking good.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
No, it can't happen, anybody who actually believed that there were going to be downloadable characters in the first place were ********
And why exactly couldn't it happen? What is your expertise with the Wii system and it's specs. If it can't happen, how is GHIII magically going to be able to provide DLC???

You're being arrogant and ignorant

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Today is Sakurai's speech. Since DLC is out of the question, I want him to at least explain why he cut Mewtwo & Roy.
Aye, this is what I've been anticipating all week. Although, I still have my doubts that Sakurai will say much of anything about it.

For anyone who was wondering, I looked up the schedule. The Wiiware guy's speech begins at 9:00 am (I assume Pacific time), and Sakurai starts speaking at 10:30 am. So, I suspect we'll start seeing info on it sometime this afternoon.

Gonintendo is usually very up-to-date about these things. He says he should posting the information soon after both speeches are over.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Gonintendo is usually very up-to-date about these things. He says he should posting the information soon after both speeches are over.
What time is in San Francisco now? Or... when wil the SSB: Brawl speech with Sakurai will begin (specify hours, please).

Or, did it begun already?

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Just 2 hours then...3+ hours unless we find a liveblogger before we know what he said.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
The WiiWare speech should have just begun, for those keeping track. Only an hour and a half until our beloved Sakurai-san begins his speech! :bigthumbu

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
True, but a physical expansion would have to replace the ENTIRE disk, because the Wii's memory doesn't work like a hard drive (unless they add some other memory option)

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
True, but a physical expansion would have to replace the ENTIRE disk, because the Wii's memory doesn't work like a hard drive (unless they add some other memory option)
Not to sound too far fetched, and I don't think Nintendo would take inspiration from this, but physical expansions can be done without remaking the whole disc.

The Dynasty Warriors series released several expansions on the Playstation 2 that required the owner to have the original disc to play the original material. If I recall correctly, you simply had to click in option in the expansion's menu, and then it would prompt you to insert the disc. The required data from the original disc would be stored on the Playstation's RAM (I think), and you could then play the expansion material within the original game.

Yet again though, I doubt that Nintendo would take inspiration from Koei for Brawl, and I by no means am saying they will use this option. I am just commenting that it is possible to publish an expansion disc without writing the entire game on it.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
i doubt there is an expansion it would take a year or so. But i would sure love for it to happen.
I remember something now, something about an event will happen between March and April...

I don't remember anything else.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
http://blog.wired.com/games/gdc_2008/index.html

Found this looking for a live blog for GDC. Is this right?

It just got updated with a "Pay to Play" concept for the Wii's wi-fi. :( Please not Brawl.

The original reason I was putting it in this topic though was the previous article which states:

"But at his address at GDC this morning, Aoyama said that Nintendo will, in the near future, allow Wii owners to use Wii Points (purchased with a credit card transaction online or on cards in stores) to buy add-on content for games. He said that add-on contents would also be available for disc-based games as well as WiiWare downloadable titles."

This seems to state the opposite -- that DLC is possible, and is coming. Based on the wording though, I think Brawl's releasing to early for this, as

"The add-on contents for disc games would be purchased within the game"

[/begin evil villian mode]
Blast! Foiled Again!

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
http://blog.wired.com/games/gdc_2008/index.html

Found this looking for a live blog for GDC. Is this right?

It just got updated with a "Pay to Play" concept for the Wii's wi-fi. :( Please not Brawl.

The original reason I was putting it in this topic though was the previous article which states:
"But at his address at GDC this morning, Aoyama said that Nintendo will, in the near future, allow Wii owners to use Wii Points (purchased with a credit card transaction online or on cards in stores) to buy add-on content for games. He said that add-on contents would also be available for disc-based games as well as WiiWare downloadable titles."

This seems to state the opposite. That DLC is possible, and is coming. Based on the wording though, I think Brawl's releasing to early for this, as
"The add-on contents for disc games would be purchased within the game"

[/begin evil villian mode]
Blast! Foiled Again!
Interesting...

But Sakurai-San's words are the ones that count...

Sakurai-San, will you tear down such a great advantage for Brawl now?

Edit: Foiled? Great...

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
im not complaining or anything i just think its soo dumb we are in 2008 and the wii still cant download new things while xbox gets mad free content. should i just not care because the rest of the games awsomeness overpowers this fact?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
You know.. This was the Wii Ware creator, right? Sakurai HAD to be listening in on this speech himself. so there's no WAY he doesn't know about this now..

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Eh, well. It was a developers' conference. If I were an animator or designer on a gaming team I might take more interest. Doesn't seem that Chrono's wishes were answered, however.

[/conspiracy mode destabilized. Please clarify request]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I thought this was funny:

Characters were chosen based on their individuality, saying they must stand out in the game. They had to consider developments costs and the time needed to include someone in the roster.

So Sakurai, three space furries with blasters, reflectors, scouters, and landmasters are more unique than a Pokemon with an unique moveset and solely psychic attacks?

What a joke.

Well, Sakurai's entire speech is over, and he did not mention DLC. I won't share my thoughts on Sakurai since they seem to spark the ire of many forum posters here, however, I feel the Smash series will continue to go away from its multiplayer roots if Sakurai is the director for Smash 4. I also expect at least six Landmasters and space furries in the next one.

Top Bottom