• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I have never met such an egotastic ******* such as luke, and a victory is hardly what he gained.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Yes, and a real Kumatora alt. and Ness should've had a real Paula and Poo alt.
I think that Lucas with Pink hair and a blue shirt would have been great, but I know you wanted the full thing, with voice overs and everything...

BTW, if we go with that, I'd rather have Paula as an alt for Lucas. Seeing her going "PK Flash" would make throw up a bit.

at least Lucas got the (predicted) Claus alt.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think that Lucas with Pink hair and a blue shirt would have been great, but I know you wanted the full thing, with voice overs and everything...

BTW, if we go with that, I'd rather have Paula as an alt for Lucas. Seeing her going "PK Flash" would make throw up a bit.

at least Lucas got the (predicted) Claus alt.
I would've been annoyed if that happened, but I'd get over it and embrace it. If that happens with Paula, I want to see her, Poo, and Kumatora beat the crap out of Lucas and Ness.

Yes because victory on the internet is the most satisfying and serious way of gaining ego esteem.
You're not BattleFranky. Don't try.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Remember kids

If you win a Argument on the internet it's the same as Wining the special Olympics

You're still a Challenged Person

don't take it seriously though :laugh:

No really

Any ways I'm Happy with no DLC's the Only DLC I wanted was Custom maps and we can Remake SSB64 maps :samus:

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I would've been annoyed if that happened, but I'd get over it and embrace it. If that happens with Paula, I want to see her, Poo, and Kumatora beat the crap out of Lucas and Ness.
I'd definitely pay another 200 Wiipoints to see that happen. That, and we need 7 man multiplayer brawl so we can have
Lucas + Ness + Paula + Kuma + Poo VS Ike + Marth. See who wins.
But I won't cry if downloadable characters never happens.

BTW why do you argue about simple semantics people. Please just let it go. If I were either one of you, I'd just let it go. It isn't worth exchanging flames back and for over.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Time to bust out the PK Multiquote.

To easily respond to your whole post, you do know every form or set of lettering (acronyms and words) HAS to actually be culturally accepted by many people before it's an actual correct definition, right? This applies to just about any new word or new usage of the language in ANY language and contributes to the continuous change in the structure. That's just a common fact and, yes, even applies to acronyms considering each one has a set definition and can officially stand for many different things. While it's possible for any acronym to stand for something, it still isn't correct as a legit acronym like, say, if a company name was an acronym or a phrase is a commonly used acronym.

That's my point, DSR's (and yes, any acronym relating to names is correct considering that's a cultural acceptance you see everywhere) claim was that DLC does, legibly, in every correct form, means both downloadable character and downloadable content, which I pointed out to not be true. Legibly DLC means downloadable content and only downloadable content in the gaming communities, while his definition that he claimed to be 100% liable and highly used (which it isn't) isn't highly used and was only used by one person which is non other than him.
Thank you for the language lesson. :dizzy: Yes, definitions must be widely accepted to be deemed "correct" (in either sense of the word). But definitions do not apply to acronyms insofar as they apply to words in general.

To propose an analogy: acronyms are the signs on the highway that indicate in which direction one must travel to reach a given city, while words are the cities themselves. Acronyms are not "defined" in the same sense as regular words are because they abbreviate or take the place of regular words, and oftentimes the acronyms do not form any sort of "generally accepted" word in the first place (i.e. "dlc" and "nato" are undefined as words, but "DLC" and "NATO" represent regular words as acronyms).

Perhaps I am mistaken, but DSR never once claimed that his usage of DLC was "highly used." In fact, he even admitted that it was his own abbreviation for the context of the thread. No one is claiming that DLC for "downloadable characters" is some universal given; the proposition is merely that DLC could stand for "downloadable characters," and indeed it does in the context of this thread.

The fallacy in your statement is that you're taking a usage (not a definition; remember--it's an acronym) of something rooted in a very broad and VERY general "community" ("the gaming community," which presumably incorporates all gamers, casual and competitive, RPG-lovers and shooter-fanatics, and so forth) and complaining that a coincidental use of the same combination of letters to represent a phrase that bears a striking resemblance to the phrase to which you cling so dearly is "not correct."

This topic is indeed a very small community by comparison, and thus the generalizations that you are trying to make by imposing one usage of an acronym as "absolute" for all cases within a specified community are invalid. If you were to say that no quadrilaterals have four sides of the same length, many cases would validate your claim, but one specific case (the square) would make your claim moot. I do believe that the same situation can apply here. If you talk about DLC standing for "downloadable content," many cases in the broadly-based "gaming community" would validate your claim--let us simply choose Halo and Guitar Hero as two such examples. But in the very specific context of this thread and only this thread (which pertains to a single concept taken from a single statement rooted in a single interview about the content of a single game), the acronym DLC can take on another meaning--in this case, "downloadable characters."

Just imagine: if the word "characters" were (hypothetically) instead spelled "karacters," and if "content" were still spelled as it normally is, DLC would be DLK and the whole issue would be null and void because you would have no reason to get confused in the context of this thread. It almost seems as though you got confused about what DSR meant in the first place, became bitter because someone abbreviated a phrase to an acronym that out of pure coincidence shares the same letters as a more commonly used acronym (and thus phrase), and decided to take it out on the acronym's creator. (For the record, DSR's implication was always clear to me, even before he explicitly declared his usage in this context)

Luke, just stop adding fuel to your fire. This is going nowhere.
Agreed. I'm tired of going back and forth. He made a (questionable) complaint about something so utterly trivial, which has now escalated into a bizarre argument about linguistic metaphysics (or something of the sort). I think it's time to end things.

wait so there are no downloadable AT's in brawl
(AT=assist trophys)

so i guess this thread main topic is dead, since DSR(DarkShadowRage) isn't posting anythng usefully related anymore.

please, /thread
The qualification in your first statement made me chuckle. (I hope it was intended as a joke in the context of this thread and the current (off-topic) subject.)

But I agree--this thread needs to be closed. Nothing productive (in relation to the original post) is being accomplished.

It would have been cool if Lucas had a Fuel costume, don't you think?
I do think so. Kind of a pity that we didn't get one. On the other hand, I'm more than content with a child Claus costume. ;)

Yes, and a real Kumatora alt. and Ness should've had a real Paula and Poo alt.
Well...maybe. Kumatora would have been a neat alt., and Paula would have been interesting for Ness as well, but Poo would only fit insofar as he could use PK Starstorm.

LET IT GO.

This has crossed into the realm of sadness. Do you want to know what an acronym is? Here!

Acronyms, initialisms, and alphabetisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO), or syllables or parts of words (as in Benelux). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see Nomenclature), nor on written usage (see Orthographic styling). While popular in recent English, such abbreviations have historical use in English, as well as other languages.

BAM! Wikipedia. Done.

Argument over.
Sounds good to me. ;)

Victory on the internet is when the enemy falls into the pit of raging anger and irritation.
That's awful nice and all, but the only thing that I find irritating is your insistence on being combative with any multitude of posters and your insistence on spewing forth "***got" and "***gotry" as you so choose. You're not irritating in the context of the discussion that you and I are having--you're just wrong.

EDIT: And I see that I missed out on the opportunity to join in on the Phoenix Wright references. :( Sadness.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Well this thread gradually went bad...
If Nintendo would release an external hard drive they could do so much more...

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Serebii say that he said downloadable characters are in or not?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I really don't want to have this conversation anymore due to the amount of quotes but I'll respond to this which could perhaps end the situation:
Perhaps I am mistaken, but DSR never once claimed that his usage of DLC was "highly used." In fact, he even admitted that it was his own abbreviation for the context of the thread. No one is claiming that DLC for "downloadable characters" is some universal given; the proposition is merely that DLC could stand for "downloadable characters," and indeed it does in the context of this thread.
Actually if you look back he clearly suggested that his acronym was some sort of truth even though he made it up. While it's still an acronym I just told him that wasn't the official usage of it and he shouldn't use it like that as he misunderstood in the first place what DLC meant, in which he thought it meant "downloadable characters." All I did was correct him and said, "No, it means downloadable content." But even after that he continuously claimed to to be complete fact even though it wasn't.

My point for him was that his usage wasn't ligament or widely used enough to be considered correct as he boasted and claimed to be.
That's awful nice and all, but the only thing that I find irritating is your insistence on being combative with any multitude of posters and your insistence on spewing forth "***got" and "***gotry" as you so choose. You're not irritating in the context of the discussion that you and I are having--you're just wrong.
Actually I've hardly used the "***got" and "***gotry" in this quarrel, even though I usually do.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I really don't want to have this conversation anymore due to the amount of quotes but I'll respond to this which could perhaps end the situation:

Actually if you look back he clearly suggested that his acronym was some sort of truth even though he made it up. While it's still an acronym I just told him that wasn't the official usage of it and he shouldn't use it like that as he misunderstood in the first place what DLC meant, in which he thought it meant "downloadable characters." All I did was correct him and said, "No, it means downloadable content." But even after that he continuously claimed to to be complete fact even though it wasn't.

My point for him was that his usage wasn't ligament or widely used enough to be considered correct as he boasted and claimed to be.

Actually I've hardly used the "***got" and "***gotry" in this quarrel, even though I usually do.
Ah, but I can't resist a reply--not now, anyhow.

I looked back, and I didn't see anything of the sort. In fact:

I know DLC = Downloadable content

however DLC can also stand for Downloadable Characters...see what I did there?
Which is what this thread is about >_>
Haha...I hope your kidding...
DownLoadableCharacters

Common sense dude...
Abbreveations can mean more than one thing believe it or not.
Well I know that, I'm using it in a sense of Downloadable Characters >_>
He not only claims his usage of DLC to mean "downloadable characters," but he likewise acknowledges that DLC can also mean "downloadable content." He continued to assert that his usage was valid (in the context of this thread, of course), but he never once tried to claim that his usage was somehow "more correct" or "complete fact."

His acronym was correct insofar as it stood for that of which he spoke--in this case, downloadable characters--and it did just that. End of story.

(Aside: what do you mean by "ligament?" It sounds like you were going for an adjective there, but instead came up with a noun....)

And yes, I did notice that your gay slurs have disappeared for the time being. Perhaps you're finally maturing and/or becoming less ignorant. ;)

Top Bottom