• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

spindash

Smash Ace
The cake is a lie!
It is. But you may now proceed to challenge. I've already won. I'm so egotistical that I do not even need to challenge young Groundwalker in order to prove a point, that I already have proved a point.

A paradox in my logic? You decide as I have already won. Nope. Dunno. Nadda. Zilch. You may now proceed to challenge said egomaniac. :p

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
*points*
*laughs*
Wut?
It is. But you may now proceed to challenge. I've already won. I'm so egotistical that I do not even need to challenge young Groundwalker in order to prove a point, that I already have proved a point.

A paradox in my logic? You decide as I have already won. Nope. Dunno. Nadda. Zilch. You may now proceed to challenge said egomaniac. :p
How am I supposed to take this seriously when you have a Sonic avatar to represent yourself?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

..he's too reckless
The force isnt with him
He cannot grasp the true power of the force
I have already won, simply..just because

and the cake is still alie

HEY GUYS, I CAN REFERENCE PORTAL, LOOK AT ME! THE CAKE IS A LIE! THAT'S IN PORTAL! I'M CULTURALLY SAVVY!

Give it a rest.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
No, I'm sorry, I'm just telling the basic rules to acronyms in the English language but you keep dodging them.

...Seriously, did you read anything I said? I ALREADY addressed this but you dodged it. :|

No ****, Sherlock. Which is why I clearly said that acronyms are only accurate IF they are based off a passed acronym (like in his case, using DLC as downloadable character) IF they become culturally acceptable. DLC as downloadable character is only the ONE definition he came up with. Until DLC becomes acceptable as downloadable character, it isn't correct. Unless he makes another and new acronym for it, it won't be correct unless it becomes widely used under the definition of "downloadable character" because of its already set in stone past acronym definitions that have all went through the phase of becoming culturally acceptable and commonly used.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*facepalm*

I'm going to have to disagree with you and your oh-so vast knowledge of the English language and its rules. (Funny, then, that the flourishing of acronyms is largely a contemporary linguistic phenomenon, one that neither breaks rules nor abides by them. The only "rule," if you will, that these numerous acronyms follow is the textbook definition of "acronym" itself, which says nothing about "correctness" or "cultural acceptance.") If I may quote you (and bold for emphasis):

Luke Groundwalker said:
Unless an alternative definition of lolling or laughing becomes culturally used even in the smallest of communities, it isn't correct.
SWF is a community. Why, this thread in and of itself is a community, albeit a very small one. By this statement, DSR's use of DLC is technically "correct" (or what you deem "correct" according to your own standards). I was not "dodging" your statement, but was instead reiterating a point that I had already made in regard to your statement earlier on.

DSR openly admitted that he understood DLC to also mean "Downloadable Content" in more "conventional" usage, but he also clarified his own usage of the acronym in this context to mean "Downloadable Character." And indeed, IGN's interview specifically references the idea of characters as downloadable content. It's simply an abbreviation--nothing more, nothing less.

Since you're so desperate to deal in semantics, we can likewise take "correct" to have two different meanings: 1) conforming to generally accepted standards, and 2) accurate.

DLC as "downloadable character" does not necessarily conform to a generally accepted standard, but it is nonetheless an accurate acronym / abbreviation for the phrase in question. So simply because his abbreviation is not "conventional" does not prevent it from being "correct." The only way I could see his acronym as being glaringly incorrect is if he abbreviated "downloadable character" as DLQ or DKZ--something completely nonsensical, and something that does not refer to real words / parts in the indicated phrase.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym

Nowhere in its definition is there a qualification that the acronym must go through a "phase of becoming culturally acceptable and commonly used" in order to be considered what you call "correct." DSR's abbreviation is "correct" insofar as it refers to that of which he speaks--in this case, downloadable characters.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Remember guys he said POSSIBLE SOLUTION!" "POSSIBLE" IT COULD HAPPEN!

Ah who the hell am I kidding...it aint happening..

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I saw this coming a mile away. Anyone who knew anything about anything would have saw this coming.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
*facepalm*

I'm going to have to disagree with you and your oh-so vast knowledge of the English language and its rules. (Funny, then, that the flourishing of acronyms is largely a contemporary linguistic phenomenon, one that neither breaks rules nor abides by them. The only "rule," if you will, that these numerous acronyms follow is the textbook definition of "acronym" itself, which says nothing about "correctness" or "cultural acceptance.") If I may quote you (and bold for emphasis):

SWF is a community. Why, this thread in and of itself is a community, albeit a very small one. By this statement, DSR's use of DLC is technically "correct" (or what you deem "correct" according to your own standards). I was not "dodging" your statement, but was instead reiterating a point that I had already made in regard to your statement earlier on.

DSR openly admitted that he understood DLC to also mean "Downloadable Content" in more "conventional" usage, but he also clarified his own usage of the acronym in this context to mean "Downloadable Character." And indeed, IGN's interview specifically references the idea of characters as downloadable content. It's simply an abbreviation--nothing more, nothing less.

Since you're so desperate to deal in semantics, we can likewise take "correct" to have two different meanings: 1) conforming to generally accepted standards, and 2) accurate.

DLC as "downloadable character" does not necessarily conform to a generally accepted standard, but it is nonetheless an accurate acronym / abbreviation for the phrase in question. So simply because his abbreviation is not "conventional" does not prevent it from being "correct." The only way I could see his acronym as being glaringly incorrect is if he abbreviated "downloadable character" as DLQ or DKZ--something completely nonsensical, and something that does not refer to real words / parts in the indicated phrase.

Nowhere in its definition is there a qualification that the acronym must go through a "phase of becoming culturally acceptable and commonly used" in order to be considered what you call "correct." DSR's abbreviation is "correct" insofar as it refers to that of which he speaks--in this case, downloadable characters.
Winner Aeris is winner

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
*facepalm*

To easily respond to your whole post, you do know every form or set of lettering (acronyms and words) HAS to actually be culturally accepted by many people before it's an actual correct definition, right? This applies to just about any new word or new usage of the language in ANY language and contributes to the continuous change in the structure. That's just a common fact and, yes, even applies to acronyms considering each one has a set definition and can officially stand for many different things. While it's possible for any acronym to stand for something, it still isn't correct as a legit acronym like, say, if a company name was an acronym or a phrase is a commonly used acronym.

That's my point, DSR's (and yes, any acronym relating to names is correct considering that's a cultural acceptance you see everywhere) claim was that DLC does, legibly, in every correct form, means both downloadable character and downloadable content, which I pointed out to not be true. Legibly DLC means downloadable content and only downloadable content in the gaming communities, while his definition that he claimed to be 100% liable and highly used (which it isn't) isn't highly used and was only used by one person which is non other than him.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
ITT: LG is a moron who cannot accept that I use DLC as a short abbreviation for this bloody thread.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
ITT: LG is a moron who cannot accept that I use DLC as a short abbreviation for this bloody thread.
More like you can't accept the fact that you're wrong. I mean, geez, you could've just said in the first place, "Mybad, I thought it meant downloadable characters." and it would've been perfectly fine but all you did was claim it legibly meant downloadable characters.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
More like you can't accept the fact that you're wrong. I mean, geez, you could've just said in the first place, "Mybad, I thought it meant downloadable characters." and it would've been perfectly fine but all you did was claim it legibly meant downloadable characters.
I don't give a flying rats ass about your god****ed bloody BS. Understand me you moron? I DO NOT CARE NOW SCREW OFF.

I NEVER CLAIMED IT MEANT ANYTHING I SAID IT CAN MEAN IT BECAUSE ITS AN ABBREVEATION! NOW PUT UP OR STFU OR GTFO MY THREAD!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Luke, just stop adding fuel to your fire. This is going nowhere.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
wait so there are no downloadable AT's in brawl
(AT=assist trophys)

so i guess this thread main topic is dead, since DSR(DarkShadowRage) isn't posting anythng usefully related anymore.

please, /thread

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Cry Moar...loser
???????????
I don't give a flying rats ass about your god****ed bloody BS. Understand me you moron? I DO NOT CARE NOW SCREW OFF.

I NEVER CLAIMED IT MEANT ANYTHING I SAID IT CAN MEAN IT BECAUSE ITS AN ABBREVEATION! NOW PUT UP OR STFU OR GTFO MY THREAD!
Luke, just stop adding fuel to your fire. This is going nowhere.
Not until the fire burns as brightly as my victory.

LET IT GO.

This has crossed into the realm of sadness. Do you want to know what an acronym is? Here!

Acronyms, initialisms, and alphabetisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO), or syllables or parts of words (as in Benelux). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see Nomenclature), nor on written usage (see Orthographic styling). While popular in recent English, such abbreviations have historical use in English, as well as other languages.

BAM! Wikipedia. Done.

Argument over.

Top Bottom