• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down smashing in mid air?

Trillion

Smash Ace
This may belong in a video thread, so apologies if I shouldn't have made a new thread for this. Anyway!

I was watching random videos on youtube and I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3I3nSsR1M&feature=related

At 13 - 14 seconds, if you watch very closely you can see that this cpu G&W somehow is doing a down smash in midair, but cancels it into a 9 Hammer somehow. It may be hard to see exactly the right spot, so I got a pic of it.

How did this happen? Can this be duplicated? Can the down smash animation be finished? Does doing this somehow effect the likelihood of judgment for being a 9? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Look at the pic. Both hammers in the down smash animation are out and he's not on stage. Then he somehow cancels them into being a hammer. It doesnt make sense.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Now that's a mystery. I have no clue what the hell is happening here. But hey this is brawl, anything crazy can happen. So let's start an investigation.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if there was a dsmash hitbox or not. This isn't even my video, just one that I happened to see on youtube. But yeah, if it could be duplicated and used to ledge guard it could have huge implications for the G&W metagame.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
I think he just b reversed side b and the video quality and lighting made it look like down smash.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Guys, seriously, I know what G&W's side - b looks like, I know what a b-reversal looks like, I know what a wavebounce looks like. The picture SHOWS a down smash animation and he isn't standing on the stage.

Judo777

Smash Master
Yea I was gonna point out the nose. I think its actually a combination of bad quality and the wave bounce. When you B reverse some moves (often side B's) you see the object on both sides tho I'm not sure if its ever at the same time. For instance if you B reverse Ganons flame choke you see the purple flame in his hand before take off appear twice (once on the side of the first input and one on the side you B reversed to.) They might both be present at the same time during GW's or the quality might not display the slight difference in timing between each side.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Mind you, that's a CPU.
Can a CPU b reversal? That's almost like a lvl 9 snake pulling off a dacus.
Or a CPU ICs (I'm bias ;)) doing a chain grab.
What if, that photo is taken at the excact point the judge cancels the dair, having two hammers and a nose apear.
The fact that judgements a 9 is basicly 100% a coincedence, but wouldn't it be sick if we could dsmash the side of the stage and they air dodge it, coming out of the air dodge they get an auto 9 judgement?

:phone:

EDIT: upon further inspection of the video, if you watch it back a few times and try and slow it down a bit, I think you see 2 hits happen to falcon.
I'm pretty sure of this, looking at falcon, he was in animation of being hit and moving towards the stage before judgment froze him and killed him.
I'm almost positive there are 2 hitboxes.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
CPU's copy human inputs from previous matches played on it.

There was a Samus CPU that spammed missles and charged shots for a good 30 seconds on youtube.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I thought people proved that wrong?
Icies looked at it a bit as a way to train nana. But she can't be transferred from wii to wii :(

I'm pretty positive there is a dsmash and a judgement. And 2 hitboxes.
That's all I can do :3

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
My CPUs suck then.
But I never fight CPU ics...
But you guys are eating the points I'm making that have nothing to do with the op.
There's two hitboxes.
UTDzac
hope he's as summonable as dojo.
Zacs input would be nice on this

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
This is really simple and I'm surprised you guys couldn't figure it out (well K Prime was right, but yeah). I mentioned what this was back when it first surfaced.

This is NOT G&W's dsmash. The proof is in the nose. Not in this image you can see G&W's nose? If you play a game and use G&W's dsmash you will notice there is NO nose. However, if you use Side-B you'll see a nose.

Case solved.

EDIT: Makke got it right in post #11.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
In your first example (the video from the OP) Captain Falcon is at 14% before the 9, and 48% after the 9.

48 - 14 = 34

In your second example it's 27% before and 60% after

60 - 27 = 33

Why is it off by one percent? Judgment (the 9) does approx 33.33% dmg. Most attacks have damage up to three decimal places, something like 00.000

To test it's 33.33%, play a game with 4 players. Now Judgment all three at the same time. End the match and look at how much damage you dealt. It will be 100%

Splice

Smash Hero
1) His nose is there so its not Dsmash
2) It has 2 hammers... but the reason that you can see two hammers at once is because the TV was probably an LCD or the device lagged a tiny bit so there would be mild frame overlap on the visuals. Happens at the TV at my local EB games.

oh, what could have been! :p

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Maybe there were 2 Game and Watches. like really close to each other. yeah?

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Maybe there were 2 Mr. Game and Watches. like really close to each other.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
like everyone else has already said. The video is interlaced and bad quality thus when the side b is revered both the left and right versions look like they are out at the same time.

Top Bottom