• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

down+b aka kirby's rocksmash.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yo, its good. use it.
- super armor while doing - yayuhz
- stronger - hell yayuhz
- easier to get out of - woot

so after doing the down+b on the floor, immediately press down+b again and when your popping out of the rock you can air dodge out of it or attack. its harder to get punished from the rock this time around, so dont be scared to use it more often. its a good move.

-hiro

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I'd also recommend it for dropping to the ledge to get in range for Final Cutter.

Remembering that Final Cutter spikes edgeguards, it's actually pretty cool, making Stone viable for some great recovery in Brawl. It suffered severely in Melee because of the lag after getting out of it, I'll give you that, as well.

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
The lag in the rock is much, much better than in melee, and might be better than in 64 with the ground stun.

It's actually a bad habit of mine from 64, to unrock just before hitting the ground into a back air to mess with timing. But in Brawl, the ground stun is quite awesome, and worth waiting for.

We should probably do some testing with the rock/unrock/rock chain. It's quite fast with the rock+ground stun. It's quite slow as well, with like 1/2 a second of vulnerability, but there could be quite a few characters that just can't react that quickly on certain platforms.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
There's no super armor on Stone. I've managed to hit Kirby out of his stone transformation on(or extremely close to) the final frame before he's fully transformed and right as he gets out.
there is super armor, WHILE YOUR A STONE. during the transformation you can get hit out of it. i just recorded 61 vids of my kirby last night. in a lot of occasions, falco would jump up and uair me, before i could transform, you are correct on that front. but once your IN the rock, your golden. i should have worded it better.

ALSO, sadly rock, to unrock, to rock again in place doesnt work too well. i was messing with it yesterday, and they can grab you out of it pretty easily before you can rock again. it was worth a try.

- im constantly looking for new kirby tech so look out for all that stuff.

-hiro

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
I thought Super Armo(u)r was that you got the damage, but not any knockback. The stone works more like the shield, in that it makes you invincible for everything but grab priority.

Sejita

Smash Cadet
I've found (pretty much by accident) that Kirby's stone blocks a lot of the Final Smashes. Those like Sonic and Pikachu are blocked, you just have to make sure when the rock fades off, you get right back into it.

Synerate

Smash Cadet
Its great but it was pretty broke in 64. We would do bomb only matches and i was always sett off groups of 4 with his D-B, but in mele and Braw[ it doesnt take that much damage to hurt him.
But it is still a good move, you can also come out swinging instead of air dodging.
Also a map with a slant is a great way to get around and most players dont rlize if you slide off an edge and they are under it, they get hit just as bad as if you were just above them perfroming D-B

Doval

Smash Lord
Super armor =/= Invincibility. Your invincible in the stone, you take no damage and no knowckbacik.
It's not even Invincibility, strong enough hits will knock you out of Stone. You won't take any % but you'll still take knockback according to the % you already have. Happens all the time in Adventure Mode but it can still happen in normal Brawls if you, say, a charged Dedede F-Smash, Lucas D-Smash, or something else with huge power. Plus, Invincibility renders you immune to grabs anyways, while Stone doesn't.

It's more like a shield that doesn't decrease over time but can break with a strong enough hit, similar to Reflectors (have you guys noticed that you don't get the shield break animation when reflectors break anymore, you just get hit?) More proof that it's like a shield is that enough lesser hits will also break Kirby out of Stone (example: Dedede's uncharged F-Smash doesn't break Kirby's Stone. However, if a second Dedede does F-tilt before the first Dedede does the F-smash, the F-smash WILL break Stone.)

Sejita

Smash Cadet
Lmao, I just read my post, and was like: Wtf, I didn't type any of that. I get it now, haha.

But yeah, his rock is good, just don't over use it, lol.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I have to agree with everyone, the B-Down is alot better, I actually found myself spamming it against the computers when I first got the game. XD

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Ikee's F-smash seems to break Kiirrrbbyyy'ss rock move, anyone know of any other characters that easily do that?

Btw whose Stafy <__>? Geez this filter is annoying x_x

Doval

Smash Lord
Ike's uncharged F-Smash won't break Stone's "shield" on its own. If it's charged enough OR if your Stone had taken other hits beforehand, then it could happen. All it takes is to be hit with the first two hits of his AAA combo for your Stone's shield to be weakened enough that his uncharged F-Smash would break it.

Warlock Punch will always break Stone. Falcon Punch, like Dedede and Ike's Forward Smash, doesn't break it, but brings it very close to breaking.

Most attacks can't break Stone without charging so it's still mostly safe from breaks.

Doval

Smash Lord
It can't be thrown out arbitrarily but it's not that useless. Stone's virtue is that it has "infinite" priority, since in most cases the opponent can hit you but nothing will happen to you, which means there's practically no way to stop it with an attack. Airborne opponents only have 3 options against Stone: 1) Air Dodge, 2) use a Special Move that's a grab (e.g. Ganondorf's forward B or Up B) or 3) take it and possibly die (Stone has practically the same killing power as Kirby's Up Smash, and that can be very fatal if the foe is above stage level.) Characters without Special grabs are only left with options 1 and 3.

Every now and then, aggressive opponents with high priority aerials will forget that it's relatively unsafe to approach Kirby directly from below and slam face-first into a Stone. Some characters with restricted recovery options may have a hard time avoiding Stone as well. It's not a move that's effective against every character, nor can it be used frequently, but it's not useless either.

Synerate

Smash Cadet
Its great for recovery from above. most people dont pay attention to the little circle the put around you when you get off the map so they are usually waiting to up smash you.

SparkZ

Smash Cadet
What about the earthquake glitch? To do it, get onto the right edge of Pictochat,(preferably by rolling) and do down-B. kirby will stay on the edge in rock form, and there will be dust around him, and your controller will start shaking like crazy. Anyone who comes near will take 14 damage. And when it is done, you can retransform. Easy to do, pisses people off, and great for stalling.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
There are basically four times when I use a stone:

1: I get hit high above the stage and want to get back down fast. This is usually only clever if your opponent gets hit far away in the same time than you and you want to get back on the ground before him.

2: I´m above my opponent and he starts charging some move. Sadly this never happens :cry:

3: My enemy tries to juggle me with Uair (or some other move) when I´m coming down. This is sometimes a bit tricky but it´s really great tactic sometimes since rock stops your movement and causes your enemy sometimes to miss you, leaving him completely helpless against your rock.

4: As a surprising/flashy/effective edgeguard. If you can predict your enemy´s recovery you can smash right onto them with your stone without worrying their Up-b attack hitting you (except for Ganondorf and C. Falcon) and then turn back to normal and fly back to stage.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I've been using this for a lot of things mentioned before. Just be wary about over-using it as also said before. For example, the obvious use would be if someone is juggling you in the air and you want to come back down. It's really easy to evade because of the start up lag, but if you just want to fake them out, you can stone fall until you hit right out of their reach. If they were juggling you with air attacks, you might be able to land a dair with fast fall before they hit the ground. If they were doing it with ground attacks, it just prevents you from getting owned by a grab or charged smash as they come out.

Anyways, it's a half-way decent mindgame if you use it a bit more than expected. It lessens the chance that they'll attempt to juggle you because they know they have to get right under you =].

RushHour1049

Smash Rookie
Don't ever use stone if your opponent is on the ground. I know it's hard to resist, but if you try to stone him on the ground he will just roll out of the way then grab you (or u-air if you un-rock above the ground)

But yeah it's an amazing ko move if you use it sparingly when you are high in the air and metaknight or something is trying to u-air to you and don't expect it.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Use stone sparingly. You should try to cancel it off of your opponent's shield while you're still in the air so they can't shield grab you and you can cancel with a B-air or N-air. I used to do hammer out of stone, but it didn't work nearly enough. It's a good attack, but not spammable.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I hardly use it... And when I find the chance to do so, my friend will airdodge in the air, run away on the ground and dash back before I can fully get out of it. Either case, it's punishable always once someone figures out an approach...especially one that works everytime no matter what.

antonyhawk65

Smash Rookie
Er, I'm sort of guilty of using this move a little too much when I main as Kirby (spamming?), but I am working not to do it anymore! That's good, isn't it?

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Hiroshi, no actually, its just that strong, they'll die up, or to the side with bad DI, but their DIing up most of the time since their recovering, so chances are its a good up kill at at least 120 or so on most characters.

Its a better edge guard on some more than others, i'll let u figure that one out

Top Bottom