• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Reading comprehension, he's saying he doesn't like the affect being f2p has had on league, not that he thinks DotA 2 being f2p is affecting league and it makes him sad.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Reading comprehension, he's saying he doesn't like the affect being f2p has had on league, not that he thinks DotA 2 being f2p is affecting league and it makes him sad.
Reading comprehension.

Yes.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
whatever league can go die in a fire
I don't understand the distaste people have for other games. They are OTHER games. Just because you prefer one over the other doesn't mean its better. =/

Lovage

Smash Hero
um here's what they CAN'T do.

they can't adopt the league of legends one hero at a time as you go model because that's ****ing ********

they're probably gonna give you all heros at the start cuz its dota. there will be vanity skins/hats/accessories + vanity couiers stuff like that you can buy with real money. but i'm guessing there's gonna be some little thing that most of us will buy for 20 bucks at launch. they will prolly think of something.

edit: and lol @ dangr being sad its not pay to play. going f2p was the only shot in hell they had at being a relevant game/competing with league

wezai

Smash Journeyman
^ Yes.

Custom couriers will be so cool, specially when you play support a lot. Also... There will be customized HEX FORMS!!! Yes! YESSS!! So cool, now that is a smart f2p model. It's fair for everyone and it will not affect the game-play at all. I've seen a few cool couriers on cyborgmatt. :)

Another thing I love about Dota and Dota 2, you always know what heroes can do and that will never be altered by something you can't see. More like, Riot always complain that Dota or Dota 2 have too much burden of knowledge, that's bull****. You need to learn what all heroes can do, don't expect to play a game where everything is as informative as possible, in fact, you can watch replays, hover your mouse above the enemy hero and read the skill description as well or spectate a game at any time you want. That is pretty intuitive.

Burden of knowledge is playing a game where you have no idea what your enemy heroes will do because they have hidden runes going on for them. Yes! So what game has more burden of knowledge? You never know if your enemy champion will hit a critical strike or hit faster, or have a faster mana regen or stuff, whereas in Dota or Dota 2, you will always know what they can do because aside from the basic way the hero works, you can always see their item. Once you learn the game, it's always a step upwards.

Another thing I love about having all heroes unlocked all the time which I commented with my friends about, is that Dota 2 and LoL are like chess games. Needs a lot of deep strategical thinking where every piece is fundamental in the match. However, when you play Dota you always have all the pieces available for you on the get go, so you can start building up strategies pretty much on the picking phase. Counter your enemy very hard and make the most out of all your pieces. While in LoL, you need to buy towers, bishops and knights if you want to start making good strategies around a team, and you need to grind so hard for that too. So as a team-captain, I prefer Dota 2 over LoL any day (I hate comparing games, but that's just a bit of a rant that I have with MOBA games, LoL and HoN did it wrongly :/).

What do you guys think? Also, how many achievements do you guys think Dota 2 will have in Steam? I hope more than TF2! :D

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If they put Achievements in DotA2, I won't play it.

God forbid I want to play a match where some morons aren't going for achievements instead of trying to win for cosmetic items.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I don't understand the distaste people have for other games. They are OTHER games. Just because you prefer one over the other doesn't mean its better. =/
man

people infer way too much over the internet

i dislike LoL, the playstyles/mindsets that it fosters (among other things), hence the statement that "it can go die in a fire"

whether it is a good/bad game competitive/casually is a topic that i don't care much for discussing anymore

ok **** whatever

lol is an inferior competitive game

casually its probably better

Vyke

Smash Champion

God forbid I want to play a match where some morons aren't going for achievements instead of trying to win for cosmetic items.
I don't there's a game on Steam released in the past 3 years that doesn't have achievements, man. That's a sweeping generalization of course, but there's a good chance it'll have some quirky on the side stuff. Something like "Getting a Rampage with CM ult" or something, haha.

And what can we do but assume when you don't give us any info other than "lol hatehahtehate?" Of course we'll assume you hate it for any number of reasons. o_O

Miharu

Smash Hero
yeh its too much to ask people to say "why do you hate ____" instead of jumping to conclusions

its unexpected (not really) to see people jump out so eagerly to make an example out of a rather harmless comment

also i dont see a problem with having achievements; they're just some neat extras i wouldn't mind having. there's also no reason to immediately assume that people will play for achievements only, and even if they do, it'll be no different from someone just game ruining "normally"

fkacyan

Smash Hero
LoL is clearly competitively fine because the better teams win consistently.

If you want to talk about burden of knowledge / potential skill depth, that's another story entirely.

hubble

Smash Ace
I REALLY hope there is an option to disable other peoples cosmetic stuff on MY screen. I'm not interested in it at all.

wezai

Smash Journeyman

You shouldn't worry about that, seeing as things are going, Valve will want to make achievements that make sense, for example: Buy XXX amount of wards as Crystal Maiden; Heal XXX of your teams playing as Dazzle and so forth and so on.

I don't believe they want to ruin it with things like "Donkey Master: buy 10 couriers in a game" or "Cold Blood: Kill 10 enemies in a match as CM".

Achievements will be so cool if they make sense, it's another thing to look into IMO. :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Based on my LIMITED Dota knowledge, league has a much lower skill floor then dota, however their skill ceiling seems very similar.

Granted, I'm still at the dota skill level where I'm very much concerned with mastering mechanics, but still, I've been doing a fair amount of research.

Regardless, does the OP ever get updated, I'd like my name there.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
All you have to do is post a link like the ones in the OP and it'll be there.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Doing games every night starting at 2100 MST(-7 GMT) Feel free to join me. If we have enough i will host inhouses

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I apparently still have 5 heroes with a 100% win rate: Dark Seer, SS, Viper, Clinkz, Silencer.

Although that's mostly because of low games played with all of them, the most being DS at 4.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I have a win rate below 50%, it's 48.8% with a total of 209 matches played! Looks like I have to play more as it's easy to get to 50%!

And wow, Lich has a good winning rate overall, almost 60% of 895k+ of matches.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
So in a Q&A Tobi has said Valve plans to have all but 5-10 of the heroes in game by this years International, and I've been really stumped trying to figure out who it will be. Obviously Techies has no shot, but the other 4-9 I can't decide. For reference here's a chart made by someone somewhere that isn't me.

I'm gonna say my 4 picks aside from Techies are: Tauren Chieftain, Slark, Skywrath Mage, and Rubick.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I've heard The International 2012 be based in Seattle. Is there a date set for the event?

Going by the chart, there are 34 heroes left, 24 if you minus the 10 not making the date. Hopefully this means we'll be seeing 1 or 2 heroes added to the game every week :)

Jacked from You Laugh You Lose thread.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
i barely played dota 1, what's up with techies and why won't they be in dota 2 any time soon?
I personally don't see anything wrong with Techies and I find them pretty fun, but based from my experience, their playstyle changes the game too much:

When there are Techies in the match, it's hard early to mid game to aford setting up Sentry Wards and it's too easy to lose a Gem, that little group of bombers just dominate. They are the only heroes who are capable of getting you scared of crossing ramps, rivers, jungle, making a push and etc. Causing a different mentality which will lead you to play the game in a total different way than the other 100+ heroes (even though I agree that each hero you are playing against changes the way you play, however Techies change it too much).

Thanks to their mines, they can fast farm and push like crazy. If their team is pushing, Techies can set-up mines in the lane, making it safe for the team to just retreat close to the mines if they get chased (which happens a lot and the enemy team will never end a clash with "advantage").

I don't mind all those stuff though, I think it adds an extra flavor to Dota and getting exquisite things like that should be beneficial as long as they don't go way too overboard with future hero releases.

OT: I think Valve and Icefrog will plan to implement heroes that are used in tourneys often. So that teams would feel comfortable with picking and banning heroes they are already used with. They somewhat did that with the first The International, I think they are going into the same direction.

hubble

Smash Ace
i think all the heroes that are currently NOT in cm mode wont be released in dota2 before the international 2.

i cant wait to play dota2 rubick!!!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
The issue Techies has is gem just crushes him. And then you need to try to put it in uphill places where it'd stay fogged till it's too late, but them gem carrier can just run around with the crow and it's basically a 4v5 because you can't do anything, unless you somehow manage to be near enough to them to force staff them into the trap.

He's still really fun though. I've seen him used twice in competitive games and won both of them. They ran push comps, didn't have him plant mines on the towers/waves but rather on the gank paths that would stop their push. Worked out well.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is there a way to get the camera to center on my main Hero with out it following my character afterwards? I want to do this in one click.

I have access to autoexec, and I know how to make scripts and such. I just don't know the console commands, and this library doesn't have the commands labled.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Is there a way to get the camera to center on my main Hero with out it following my character afterwards? I want to do this in one click.

I have access to autoexec, and I know how to make scripts and such. I just don't know the console commands, and this library doesn't have the commands labled.
I just re-configure it in the hotkeys section. It's somewhere on there. From F1 to Spacebar is what I did. At least I think. You need to double tap instead of pressing down once, though.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I really don't like the new UI. It really hurts streamers and tournaments. The old UI had amazing space for streamers/tournaments while this one eliminates it. However, I do love the new icons(aside from a few)

edit: new lion stuff

Top Bottom