• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't stand for camping online

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Sliq, saying, "you should experiment if you want to improve" is a lot different from saying "Don't stand for camping online." One is good advice; the other is an illogical command.

It doesn't matter how many tournaments you've won; you still don't have the authority to tell people that they can't camp online. And don't give me any more sermons on "fun" either. That's scrub talk, pure and simple. Items are fun! they should be allowed at tourneys. Fox vs. Fox mirrors aren't fun! We should ban Fox.

Sliq

Smash Master
Sliq, saying, "you should experiment if you want to improve" is a lot different from saying "Don't stand for camping online." One is good advice; the other is an illogical command.
I didn't say "don't camp online." I said, "don't play with people who camp online." Then, the campers have no one to play.

And doing the opposite of something just because of the way that I said it is extremely immature, and only proves my point that most campers are *******.

It doesn't matter how many tournaments you've won; you still don't have the authority to tell people that they can't camp online
Once again, telling people to not play campers so they stop camping. It is different.

And don't give me any more sermons on "fun" either. That's scrub talk, pure and simple. Items are fun! they should be allowed at tourneys. Fox vs. Fox mirrors aren't fun! We should ban Fox.
Did you read any of my posts, like any of them at all? Seriously?

Bottom line, I'm not going to play 8 minute matches chasing some noob around FD when I can play 3 matches in that time and learn all sorts of ****. Kill yourself, son, you're completely brain dead.

And Fox is overrated in Melee.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Bottom line, I'm not going to play 8 minute matches chasing some noob around FD when I can play 3 matches in that time and learn all sorts of ****. Kill yourself, son, you're completely brain dead.
word Sliq. I only justify camping as a legitimate strategy if you are a stock or two behind but have a chance at coming back and winning. obviously this is harder to judge online than anything else, and even then I still don't do it. As a dedede player I get camped a lot (by falco's and olimar's mainly), but I have found ways around it, and I'm sure most people have the brains to do that themselves.

Sliq

Smash Master
word Sliq. I only justify camping as a legitimate strategy if you are a stock or two behind but have a chance at coming back and winning. obviously this is harder to judge online than anything else, and even then I still don't do it. As a dedede player I get camped a lot (by falco's and olimar's mainly), but I have found ways around it, and I'm sure most people have the brains to do that themselves.
Camping is only acceptable IRL. End of story. In a friendly with some random dude, it is a pretty big **** move. But if you are playing with your crew mates, it can help strengthen your camp game, and teach them how to get around it (and help with timing powershields).

Online is all about developing your ability to read your opponent and punish accordingly, something you won't get by camping.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
I lul'd.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Dogy, I'm sorry to say that the days of your loud, raspy black voice are numbered. Georgia will have to find a new person to shut everyone up and announce matches, because your ass is grass.

also, please teach me guilty gear

Sliq

Smash Master
Dogy, I'm sorry to say that the days of your loud, raspy black voice are numbered. Georgia will have to find a new person to shut everyone up and announce matches, because your ass is grass.

also, please teach me guilty gear
Me too. I wanna play Johnny and throw coins at people, and by like, NICKEL FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, and HOW ABOUT SOME SPARE CHANGE, or, CALL IT, YOU STAND TO WIN EVERYTHING.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
yeah qffttt

If you dont like camping then you might as well not eveen try to get better, because I guarentee you that the better you get, the more campers youll experience.

btw I hope i get you in a gb match and I will camp the crap out of you...ty in advance for the free win though.
LMAO this is coming from a guy who only mains spammers, camping is different from spam, see our in experienced friend here "repulse" is a spammer,
example of a skilled player who uses projectiles.
Tlink who uses projectiles for SETUPS, projectiles are for SETUPS, if you didnt play melee you dont know what im talking about, basically if you shoot an arrow, the enemy must shield or take the damage, you can control what they do when you use projectiles, and rush in with a shfair when they let their shields down....

i cant explain skill to noobs, it doesnt compute.
i cant believe how many new low skilled players registered on SWF, so you people basically agree that mindless spamming is a gameplan?

try that in a tourney, hahahaha i shouldnt even tell you what will happen.
(youll get beaten, horribly embarassed in front of competitive players, and end up looking like the fool you are)

former melee players, best recognize this, new players to brawl dont know what projectiles are for in smash, they think theyre "DAMAGE RACKIN" smash isnt like soul calibur, you dont use projectiles to rack up damage solely.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Sliq, I am sorry to say this, but I am Azen, and I am far better than you at Smash.

See? Proof of your placing in this tourney please Otherwise I am Azen, and I say camping is fine. And no, kicking my butt on brawl is not proof of youyr placing in the tourneys.

Also, if I camp online, it can mean I can experiment with Camping. I can mix it up, not just stand and shoot with Falco.

Sliq

Smash Master
Sliq, I am sorry to say this, but I am Azen, and I am far better than you at Smash.

See? Proof of your placing in this tourney please Otherwise I am Azen, and I say camping is fine. And no, kicking my butt on brawl is not proof of youyr placing in the tourneys.

Also, if I camp online, it can mean I can experiment with Camping. I can mix it up, not just stand and shoot with Falco.
http://allisbrawl.com/history.aspx?id=117

At least make it hard for me to make you look like a ******. Where's the fun in making a ****** look like a ****** when he does it for you?

Furthermore, these are only the tournaments that utilized tio. I've gone to a lot more than is evev on that list. I also played the REAL Azen at Pound 3, and I could have beaten his Marth if I didn't SD 3 times. He would have won the set regardless, but I wanted to win that one match. Azen is too good, and I'm only good.

Who are you again? A big fat nobody?

Also, nice name. Couldn't think of anything more generic?

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather camp them back, but considering some spammers have good anti projectile moves I'm just going to IC chaingrab them until they leave (the only reason I'm practicing it).

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
No johns or better yet..no whining..? part of the game to overcome? mind you that the person who just sits there and dodges all the time and kos a few people at high% wins..play to win? And camping isnt really too hard to counter..

Sliq

Smash Master
No johns or better yet..no whining..? part of the game to overcome? mind you that the person who just sits there and dodges all the time and kos a few people at high% wins..play to win? And camping isnt really too hard to counter..
Good job not reading like any of the posts. I never said I couldn't overcome it or counter it you dimwit. I said it is annoying online, when you can't effectively powershield. Learn to read or kill yourself. I don't care which.

Furthermore, as stated previously, camping online only hinders your developement as a player. GG NO RE.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
that sucks, but if you can beat the campers, then beat the campers...beat their *sses

you'll only become more and more effecient at handling their BS. besides, refusing to play them won't make them think "Gee, that guy must've disapproved of my strategy! Maybe I should stop!". no way, Jose...they'll just play someone else and camp someone else; in other words, you'll rid yourself of the problem, but not the rest of the world and it will come back around to you at the worst time. the more wnis you score against them, the more likely the strategy of spamming will be dumped by some for other options

I say constant vigilance! :mad:

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Camping vs a computer or with the system off is all fine and dandy for most people, but what about the people who enjoy having an opponent get pissed off at the game but have no locals around to play with? :grin:

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Pick G&W. Problem solved.

And no, G&W can not and does not camp with bair. That's the worst john I've ever heard.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
I gather what sliq is saying, but is he seriously a skilled competitive player? Friendlies are only for learning? I could sandbag against scrubs and noobs in friendly matches but it certainly isn't going to improve my game any. Whereas, if I keep my intensity and play style the same against some 13 year old kid as I do in a cash tournament, I will be doing something positive on many levels. Also, Sliq may consider online play as exclusively friendlies, but other people who don't have the freedom to attend competitive events may be playing their hardest to win.

1) I am treating the kid with respect, no one wants to get owned by someone's 8th best character or whatever.
2) Playing less than my best may be more fun for the kid, but will do absolutely nothing to improve my game. Meanwhile, if I play as hard as I can, I am training own keeping up my intensity, which is something you need to be able to do in high pressure tournament situations.
3) Getting your *** handed to you is the best way to learn how to play better.
4) Seriously, if I beat this kid as fast I can move on to playing someone who is worth my time.

Sadly, Sliq's other points are all completely flaws in Brawl game mechanics. Sadly, camping is an extremely effective strategy. It becomes even more effective online with input lag hampering approaches. There are simply too few options for nonpunishable aggression against a competent camper. I would suggest he simply return to playing melee or as he said only play against people who don't camp, that way he can have all the fun he wants. I'm sure he knows there isn't really a point telling people on the internets to stop doing whatever they want to.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
There are players like Overswarm and other ROB players who use camping as a STRATEGY, as in using projectiles effectively and actually thinking how to incorporate projectiles into their games. These people you should commend, challenge, and expect a good game from them. They will also be those that are most likely to have a clue what to do once you get past their projectiles.

Then there are the millions of scrub Pits, Wolfs, Metaknights who go online and think that they can have a fantastic e-peen by spamming the same moves over and over again and using the internet lag to protect their peens from being hurt. These guys you can **** at any time if you didn't have the disadvantage of lag. These are the guys that you should not tolerate playing with and disconnect from.

Sliq, you are right. There are too many players that think they can be hotshots by spamming unstoppably. There are players that actually use camping as some sort of strategy when they fight, and you should be careful to know who's doing it to experiment (as in how one camping playstyle differs from another) and who's just doing it to be jerks. If we can cut ourselves off from the IGNORANT population, then our online community will be a lot happier.

By the way, the video on the signature holds all the reasons why Ganondorf is beast. I'd like to ditto you some time.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yeah, you joined a month ago. No response necessary on my part.
Translation: I don't actually have any logical response, so I'll use some arbitrary and useless measurement of your worth to dismiss you while not looking like an idiot to the majority of people. Hint: The amount of time this account has existed is not equal the the amount of time I've read these forums, nor the amount of time I've been playing Smash (Though I admit a lot of morons joined during the Barawl rush).

It looks like the rest of your argument is equally illogical, but let me throw my two cents in:

Learning how to deal with campers is also learning.

If you have this much trouble with campers that it annoys you enough to tell people they shouldn't deal with campers at all, I think you may need to reevaluate how you're playing rather than telling the rest of us what we should do. Just a thought.

Sliq

Smash Master
CAMPING IS A LEGIT STRATEGY WHEN NOT PLAYING ONLINE. I AM NOT SPEAKING OUT AGAINST CAMPING, I AM SPEAKING OUT AGAINST CAMPING ONLINE.

Jesus Christ, read my posts. No one has tried to argue any of my points, you just spew the same **** over and over, the **** I am not EVEN ARGUING AGAINST.

Brawl is tailored toward camping

My question to you is why wouldn't everyone camp?
1.) It is a friendly, and nothing is at stake 2.) to learn your character and various tricks and mindgames.

If you camp online, you learn nothing.

I gather what sliq is saying, but is he seriously a skilled competitive player? Friendlies are only for learning? I could sandbag against scrubs and noobs in friendly matches but it certainly isn't going to improve my game any. Whereas, if I keep my intensity and play style the same against some 13 year old kid as I do in a cash tournament, I will be doing something positive on many levels. Also, Sliq may consider online play as exclusively friendlies, but other people who don't have the freedom to attend competitive events may be playing their hardest to win.

1) I am treating the kid with respect, no one wants to get owned by someone's 8th best character or whatever.
2) Playing less than my best may be more fun for the kid, but will do absolutely nothing to improve my game. Meanwhile, if I play as hard as I can, I am training own keeping up my intensity, which is something you need to be able to do in high pressure tournament situations.
3) Getting your *** handed to you is the best way to learn how to play better.
4) Seriously, if I beat this kid as fast I can move on to playing someone who is worth my time.

Sadly, Sliq's other points are all completely flaws in Brawl game mechanics. Sadly, camping is an extremely effective strategy. It becomes even more effective online with input lag hampering approaches. There are simply too few options for nonpunishable aggression against a competent camper. I would suggest he simply return to playing melee or as he said only play against people who don't camp, that way he can have all the fun he wants. I'm sure he knows there isn't really a point telling people on the internets to stop doing whatever they want to.
You see, if you play to win all the time, you go through the motions. You do the the things you KNOW work. As opposed to experimenting with new ****. It doesn't matter if you win friendlies. No one cares. But if you learn a lot from them, then you're set.

Camping online is a bad strategy because you aren't even learning how to camp properly, due to lag. You don't have to deal with powershielding, at all, and that is something you are going to see at tournaments. However, you can learn spacing and setups for other ****.

Why do you guys argue with me about this, I've entered more tournaments than days you have had your account. WTF.

There are players like Overswarm and other ROB players who use camping as a STRATEGY, as in using projectiles effectively and actually thinking how to incorporate projectiles into their games. These people you should commend, challenge, and expect a good game from them. They will also be those that are most likely to have a clue what to do once you get past their projectiles.

Then there are the millions of scrub Pits, Wolfs, Metaknights who go online and think that they can have a fantastic e-peen by spamming the same moves over and over again and using the internet lag to protect their peens from being hurt. These guys you can **** at any time if you didn't have the disadvantage of lag. These are the guys that you should not tolerate playing with and disconnect from.

Sliq, you are right. There are too many players that think they can be hotshots by spamming unstoppably. There are players that actually use camping as some sort of strategy when they fight, and you should be careful to know who's doing it to experiment (as in how one camping playstyle differs from another) and who's just doing it to be jerks. If we can cut ourselves off from the IGNORANT population, then our online community will be a lot happier.

By the way, the video on the signature holds all the reasons why Ganondorf is beast. I'd like to ditto you some time.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Look, someone who READ MY POSTS!

Yes, I play with Overswarm. Look at my sig for Christ's sake. Now go to youtube and watch the latest videos of Overswarm's Rob. I PLAY THAT GUY. Playing against his camping IRL is a way for me to get around camping, and a way for him to practice it. Practicing **** online that won't work IRL is a sure fire way to get your *** wrecked.

My point is that Online should not be camped because of lag. I'm not saying it unethical. I'm saying it is pointless. If you are bad you are just going to lose, and if you are good you aren't camping in an online match because you are there to learn, not be some random ****er, and win NOTHING.

Translation: I don't actually have any logical response, so I'll use some arbitrary and useless measurement of your worth to dismiss you while not looking like an idiot to the majority of people. Hint: The amount of time this account has existed is not equal the the amount of time I've read these forums, nor the amount of time I've been playing Smash (Though I admit a lot of morons joined during the Barawl rush).

It looks like the rest of your argument is equally illogical, but let me throw my two cents in:

Learning how to deal with campers is also learning.

If you have this much trouble with campers that it annoys you enough to tell people they shouldn't deal with campers at all, I think you may need to reevaluate how you're playing rather than telling the rest of us what we should do. Just a thought.
I looked at your join date and then just put you on my ignore list.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
You see, if you play to win all the time, you go through the motions. You do the the things you KNOW work. As opposed to experimenting with new ****. It doesn't matter if you win friendlies. No one cares. But if you learn a lot from them, then you're set.

Camping online is a bad strategy because you aren't even learning how to camp properly, due to lag. You don't have to deal with powershielding, at all, and that is something you are going to see at tournaments. However, you can learn spacing and setups for other ****.

Why do you guys argue with me about this, I've entered more tournaments than days you have had your account. WTF.
We seem to be following a selective route of logic. If you can't learn anything from camping online, because input lag creates an environment that is different from what you would experience in tournament, how would you learn using any other tactic in that type environment. People can powershield your melee attacks as well, allowing them to punish you out of shield faster than they would online. Also, why wouldn't you use the stuff you KNOW works. The game doesn't care if you were creative or not, it cares that you had the most stocks when the match is over.

I don't personally play online that much (I have a good amount of people I can play locally) but when I do, I like to camp - *gasp*. It brings me immense enjoyment to put 100% on someone without having them touch me once. Also, I do learn from camping online, just the other day I got down the precise range I need to keep to punish a G&W who thinks he can bucket me. As you said, "you can learn spacing and setups for other ****". Isn't that a good argument for camping online?

I'm sorry Sliq, but lets face it, the sucky camper you are talking about will probably never go to a tournament, never get any better. They bought their copy of Brawl to have fun in their own way. Why is your interpretation of fun any more important than theirs? Is it because you were good at melee, have an earlier join date, or any of the other crap you were using to validate your arguments?

orintemple

Smash Lord
Lol Sliq is totally arrogant as hell but he is right guys. In fact, I would take it one step further and almost say that playing online only makes you good at playing online, because timing for things is different in the real world.

Playing online will not help you get better at playing in real time, without lag, the timing is just too different. Maybe if they ever get off their lazy *** and fix this **** then we could have some real practice online.

I know this first hand because I was really good online then after my spring break I went to school and played people in real time, and I sucked hardcore compared to my beastly online playing. Now I try to avoid playing online unless someone really wants to play. And I would never try to prove my skills to someone over WiFi because that is not how skilled a player you really are.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Lol Sliq is totally arrogant as hell but he is right guys. In fact, I would take it one step further and almost say that playing online only makes you good at playing online, because timing for things is different in the real world.

Playing online will not help you get better at playing in real time, without lag, the timing is just too different. Maybe if they ever get off their lazy *** and fix this **** then we could have some real practice online.

I know this first hand because I was really good online then after my spring break I went to school and played people in real time, and I sucked hardcore compared to my beastly online playing. Now I try to avoid playing online unless someone really wants to play. And I would never try to prove my skills to someone over WiFi because that is not how skilled a player you really are.
There is something we can all agree on. Brawl online sucks and nintendo doesn't give a **** once they can fill their swimming pools with money. We just have to resign ourselves to the ****ty turtling gameplay in Brawl, and pray that no one lets Sakurai near SSB4.

Sliq

Smash Master
We seem to be following a selective route of logic. If you can't learn anything from camping online, because input lag creates an environment that is different from what you would experience in tournament, how would you learn using any other tactic in that type environment. People can powershield your melee attacks as well, allowing them to punish you out of shield faster than they would online. Also, why wouldn't you use the stuff you KNOW works. The game doesn't care if you were creative or not, it cares that you had the most stocks when the match is over.
Well, because if the stuff you know isn't winning you the match, you lose because "what you know" is more limited because you didn't bother ******* around and coming up with new stuff.

Furthermore, do you know you can cancel the lag on Ganon's down b? Bet you didn't, and I didn't either, until I FIGURED IT OUT ONLINE. See, I was free to do whatever moves I wanted, because I wasn't trying to avoid projectiles and space ****.

Furthermore, WINNING ONLY MATTERS IN TOURNAMENT PLAY OR IN A MONEY MATCH. IF you don't play in tournaments, then this really doesn't apply to you.

I don't personally play online that much (I have a good amount of people I can play locally) but when I do, I like to camp - *gasp*. It brings me immense enjoyment to put 100% on someone without having them touch me once. Also, I do learn from camping online, just the other day I got down the precise range I need to keep to punish a G&W who thinks he can bucket me. As you said, "you can learn spacing and setups for other ****". Isn't that a good argument for camping online?
Except for when he runs straight at you, powershields every projectile, then ****s you up in the your lag. Minus that whole little number impossible online.

And I'm sure you do get enjoyment from hitting b over and over again. OOOOOO a shiny button, lets push it, so satisfying.

I'm sorry Sliq, but lets face it, the sucky camper you are talking about will probably never go to a tournament, never get any better. They bought their copy of Brawl to have fun in their own way. Why is your interpretation of fun any more important than theirs? Is it because you were good at melee, have an earlier join date, or any of the other crap you were using to validate your arguments?
Well, seeing as how I play people through SMASHBOARDS and ALLISBRAWL, I assume they KNOW about the competitive community. Why not just play with random if its just for fun? It is much easier then finding someone whop plats 1v1, 3 stock, all neutrals. I simply assume that everyone I'm playing is in the tournament community. I can tell really quickly if they aren't.

Where are you coming at me with this? I don't like camping, I quit the match. I said, "Hey, if you don't like camping, don't put up with it." Then your like, lol camping is fun for some. Yeah, will it can be fun as they find another person to play.

Furthermore, if they are that bad, you aren't going to want to play them anyways, and will disconnect after a few matches. Same result.

IT has a lot to do with EXPERIENCE. See, I got good enough to place well in tournaments, while people who played the game longer than me were placing below me. I had to have SOME idea of how to get better, seeing as I did and they didn't.

You can't fake experience, and it seems anytime anyone with experience tries to explain something, newbies just scream, NUH UH I KNOW A LOT! Wavedashing is a glitch, Link is cheap, etc. over and over. Nothing has changes. Newer members are worse then older members, if only because of the mindset we've established throughout the years.

This isn't entirely true. A lot of the time I start an attack or position myself WAY before may opponents even do anything. I already know what I'm going to do, and I'm reading them as they do what I thought. Online is bad for increasing reaction time, but it helps you learn how to read people, and how to punish those reads. It is basically training yourself to be psychic. Especially with Ganon's tech chase after the Flame Choke.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Several of the points you made was correct, Sliq. It seems we both think online brawl isn't a medium for competitiveness, so my argument is rather pointless. I guess it really doesn't matter Sliq, it just seemed that you found online campers so offensive you made the point to insult anyone who camps except Overswarm. It seems silly to me to dislike a specific tactic, when certain characters are tailor-made and may have to rely on camping to a certain degree (Toonlink, Pit, Falco). However, you are absolutely right, if someone is camping in one of your matches, you have no obligation to play them and in your case you have decided to simply leave.

Personally, for me I leave ******* around for training mode, I use that to find out all the unique quirks to characters I play. Then when I play an actual live human I also agree with you on how playing online can help train you to read opponents. I've seen people get *****, making predictable techs out Flame Chokes instead of just laying still or switching directions. Also, I'm not an idiot, I don't camp lasers or arrows 2 inches from someone's face. I understand how you have to react to someone approaching your camp, not just sit in one spot till someone is close enough to punish your lag. And if you think the wall of pain that is Toon link's camping game, only requires pressing a "shiny button" over and over again, you are very wrong.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Nobody really likes camping, but it is a tactic that must be dealt with as it will never be banned. This thread, along with every other thread complaining about camping are not needed.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
:lick::
Yeah, I'll wreck you, so stfu you nobody. I play to win in TOURNAMENT *******. IF you play to win ALL OF THE TIME you won't learn anything. There is a difference between play to win and play to learn. That is why I placed 17th at Pound 3 and no one knows who the **** you are.
You are ....Full of yourself. Were do you get off acting all high and mighty? Not everyone whose good at smash bros is gonna drive across the fn country to get 17th at some tournament just so they can brag about how big of a tournyfg they are. I really don't know who you are nor do I care cause your and utter douchbag. What you need to do is go back to your little training session and stop humiliating yourself in front of actual people.

:uzi:_________________________________________________ :mad:

Haha

orintemple

Smash Lord
You are ....Full of yourself. Were do you get off acting all high and mighty? Not everyone whose good at smash bros is gonna drive across the fn country to get 17th at some tournament just so they can brag about how big of a tournyfg they are. I really don't know who you are nor do I care cause your and utter douchbag. What you need to do is go back to your little training session and stop humiliating yourself in front of actual people.

*stands at edge of Bridge of Eldin and spams blaster at sliq as he attacks in an angry rage”
I'm not gonna say anything to this besides you are about to get flamed to high hell...

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Brawl is tailored toward camping

My question to you is why wouldn't everyone camp?
Stop sucking. You can rush down in Brawl. Not with every character though. I can be aggresive with Pit. I can't rush down with him, but I can properly space in and out using those arrows to my advantage. Proper ftilt spacing with Pit can be very effective.

Rushdown is possible with Marth and Metaknight, and some other characters (to varying degrees of success). I love playing Marth and would prefer to play him. When there's no lag, I can rushdown and catch the camper with relative ease. Once you add lag, rushdown becomes impossible, and the camper wins.

Top Bottom