• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't stand for camping online

Sliq

Smash Master
Whenever someone opts to camp online, disconnect and stop playing them. We need to boycott campers

I'm not here to say camping is bad. I'm here to say that it is RIDICULOUS not only to camp in a FRIENDLY, but in an ONLINE FRIENDLY? Are you serious? Why even play? Is mashing B that fun?

Don't put up with bull**** camping online.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Whenever someone opts to camp online, disconnect and stop playing them. We need to boycott campers

I'm not here to say camping is bad. I'm here to say that it is RIDICULOUS not only to camp in a FRIENDLY, but in an ONLINE FRIENDLY? Are you serious? Why even play? Is mashing B that fun?

Don't put up with bull**** camping online.
I think I rather be a camper than a quitter

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
qft.

Srsly. I understand that its annoying, but I do it. Why? A) because I like winning. B) a friendly is supposed to be fun and goofy... so just random camping is fun if you just relax. The same logic of "Really? Camping? In a FRIENDLY?" that you use can be used against you: "Really? Getting *issed? About Camping? In a Friendly?" Or, more directly applicable to your obviously preferred playstyle. "Really? Like... non-stop agression and attempting at ridiculous combos, chaingrabs and infinites? In a friendly?"

I should call for a boycott of super aggressive play online, because, after all-- it is just a friendly. Of course, this would never work because people <3 super flashy combos and extreme aggressiveness and fast paced action. They generally hate the slow, almost chess-like nature of camping.

Chill out. Its all for lulz newayz. If someone camps ya in a friendly, odds are they are chuckling and having a good time watchin you get eat up by their projectiles. Just as you would be laughing or smiling to yourself if they got caught up in some offensive onslaught.

Just bcuz its online, and a friendly, doesn't mean you don't want to win. Besides, some characters just have a better camping game than an offensive one, not to mention personal playstyle preferences. If its fun for an aggressive player to be aggressive, then its fun for a camper to camp. You having fun in an online friendly isn't valued any more than someone else's desire for entertainment.

/end rant.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
Camping is an acceptable strategy, but in online button delay lag, its stupidity at its finest. I love getting shot by a camping falco's lasers, and when I try to jump I can't because of the delay so I end up having to mash jump and end up the air with no plan, because I was so focused just trying to get out of the spam. Oh and that brings up another great thing. Play Falco online and just camp the edge and shoot lasers, when they approach you from the ground use Down B, if they approach you from the air use Over B. With this strategy you can remain unurt and unleash a fury of camping spam.

Sliq

Smash Master
qft.

Srsly. I understand that its annoying, but I do it. Why? A) because I like winning. B) a friendly is supposed to be fun and goofy... so just random camping is fun if you just relax.
I didn't say I don't beat campers. I just have subtantially less fun having to chase them the whole time, so I stopped playing campers. End of story. Furthermore, they aren't going to learn anything if you stand across FD and mash B.

The same logic of "Really? Camping? In a FRIENDLY?" that you use can be used against you: "Really? Getting *issed? About Camping? In a Friendly?"
I don't get pissed, I get annoyed. You can ****ing get annoyed while getting blown. That doesn't make the thing being annoying ANY LESS ANNOYING. And when I'm annoyed, I'm generally not "happy," or "having fun." So I'll play someone who won't camp, so I can HAVE FUN.

"Really? Like... non-stop agression and attempting at ridiculous combos, chaingrabs and infinites? In a friendly?"
Yes, because we all know about those people who like to get camped. Even if they hated what you are mentioning, they would prefer it. Lesser of two evils.

Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that 90% of people on SWF would prefer an aggressive fight as opposed to a campfest.

Furthermore, landing the moves that lead into the combos is difficult and requires a thought process. Choosing Pit and mashing B does not.

Chill out. Its all for lulz newayz. If someone camps ya in a friendly, odds are they are chuckling and having a good time watchin you get eat up by their projectiles. Just as you would be laughing or smiling to yourself if they got caught up in some offensive onslaught.
Someone who gets pleasure from pushing a button over and over should just turn the gane off and push the button. It'll save us some electricity, and green is the new black.

Seriously, by your logic torturing is ok because the one guy really likes to do it. Sure, the other guy would prefer to NOT be tortured, but since one of them is having a good ole time its all right.

Just bcuz its online, and a friendly, doesn't mean you don't want to win.
Once again, I beat most of the campers I play. I just have substantially less fun. So I stopped playing them, and I propose other people do the same. Then after people get sick of getting disconnected EVERY MATCH because they camp, they'll stop. I play online for a little practice and to have fun.

Online is a joke, and to camp online simply means you have no *****, and will die alone, simple as that.

Besides, some characters just have a better camping game than an offensive one, not to mention personal playstyle preferences
Which character could this be, because as far as I know, every character that can successfully camp also has amazing approach and combo ability. Rob, Pit, Toon Link, etc.

Well, after the get disconnected seventy billion times, maybe they'll run into someone else who likes to camp. OR they could simply put something along the lines of, "Hey, I camp," in their profile so I know not to play them.

If its fun for an aggressive player to be aggressive, then its fun for a camper to camp.
Yeah, but the thing is, when you camp back, they quit out the match. WHY? BECAUSE GETTING CAMPED ISN'T FUN. If everyone had to win every online match like it was the grand championship, all it would be would be people spamming ****ing projectiles, AND NO ONE WOULD HAVE FUN.

Furthermore, it can't be too much fun when I disconnect and they have to find someone else to play, and then they disconnect.

You having fun in an online friendly isn't valued any more than someone else's desire for entertainment.
I don't see why they can't have fun shooting a computer over and over from across FD.

The fact of the matter is, almost no one ENJOYS camping, and only do so to win, which is ridiculous when playing a FRIENDLY through a ****ty ONLINE SERVICE.

In tournament, anything goes, and camping is slightly more acceptable IRL friendlies because you can actually do **** like power shield. But online, come on.

Camping is an acceptable strategy, but in online button delay lag, its stupidity at its finest. I love getting shot by a camping falco's lasers, and when I try to jump I can't because of the delay so I end up having to mash jump and end up the air with no plan, because I was so focused just trying to get out of the spam. Oh and that brings up another great thing. Play Falco online and just camp the edge and shoot lasers, when they approach you from the ground use Down B, if they approach you from the air use Over B. With this strategy you can remain unurt and unleash a fury of camping spam.
If anyone does this, I'll find you and end your life with a claw hammer.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy when people try to camp me in friendlies because learning to beat campers is such a major part of the skill in Brawl. If you don't understand that then play a new game.

The fact that it's online doesn't mean you shouldn't play to win. Seriously, stop being a scrub.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I didn't say I don't beat campers. I just have subtantially less fun having to chase them the whole time, so I stopped playing campers. End of story. Furthermore, they aren't going to learn anything if you stand across FD and mash B.
And I never said that you couldn't beat campers. So... I don't know what that has to do with anything. But, that being said, a *good* camper, just doesn't mash random specials for the most part. Just like with zomg flashy combos, it takes skill to execute properly. More on this a bit later in the post.

Yes, because we all know about those people who like to get camped. Even if they hated what you are mentioning, they would prefer it. Lesser of two evils.

Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that 90% of people on SWF would prefer an aggressive fight as opposed to a campfest.
So, just because the majority of people like something, it is automatically the correct way to do things, without any assessment of any other variables?

Furthermore, landing the moves that lead into the combos is difficult and requires a thought process. Choosing Pit and mashing B does not.
True, to an extent. But as I alluded to above, a *GOOD* camper, puts thought into their camping maneuvers. I'm a ROB player, and I do camp until the opportunity presents itself, and then be as aggressive as possible for as long as its prudent, and then I stop, and camp again.

It takes time to learn how to effectively and skillfully camp. It takes time to learn the various trajectories for different strength of gyro throws at different levels of 'charging'. Same thing for the use of his laser. There's a lot of thought involved in it: "Should I bounce it off the ground? At what angle? Should I shoot straight forward? Should I laser-> gyro, or vice versa? What about the platform, can I bait him with the gyro to jump onto the platform, and bounce the laser off of the ground at such a trajectory to hit him from below? These are just a few questions I ask myself while playing. How is that process any less thoughtful than running forward, SH with Marth, and F-air chain? Or dancing blade?

Someone who gets pleasure from pushing a button over and over should just turn the gane off and push the button. It'll save us some electricity, and green is the new black.
People don't get pleasure from pushing buttons. Effective campers get pleasure from seeing the 'traps' they laid out using their spammable attacks coming to fruition.

Seriously, by your logic torturing is ok because the one guy really likes to do it. Sure, the other guy would prefer to NOT be tortured, but since one of them is having a good ole time its all right.
Actually.... the word logic should not be used AT ALL in this statement. What you have presented is a logical fallacy, the 'Strawman Fallacy'; essentially dumbing down the oppositions argument to a simple base that can easily be refuted- making it as easy as a 'straw man' to topple. Doing so is illogical, and therefore makes the argument invalid. So, try again? Pls? Kthx.

Once again, I beat most of the campers I play. I just have substantially less fun. So I stopped playing them, and I propose other people do the same. Then after people get sick of getting disconnected EVERY MATCH because they camp, they'll stop. I play online for a little practice and to have fun.
This is a personal attitude, to which you are entitled to and am in no way suggesting that you aren't. But proposing that OTHERS change how they play, or who they play, just to get something to stop that YOU don't like is childish. Its no different than you not liking how one person in the game of tag is faster than you and always gets you, so you try to get all the other kids to stop playing with that kid. This is *not* a straw man fallacy, just to stop you before you try to use it against me, because it is essentially the same. Two trivial, essentially meaningless, GAMES- wherein the circumstances and outcomes are similar. Its a valid metaphor, if you will.

Online is a joke, and to camp online simply means you have no *****, and will die alone, simple as that.
Really? Personal insults? For shame. I thought we were adults here. I could very well say the same about people who: "Take online play so seriously that they want to limit how people play online because it makes them mad. Basically... they are loser 40 year olds who live in their mom's basement and live/eat/breathe smash and the internet culture as a whole- are unwashed, unkept, lack social skills, and will also die sad, alone, and with rampant, incurable acne.

Well, after the get disconnected seventy billion times, maybe they'll run into someone else who likes to camp. OR they could simply put something along the lines of, "Hey, I camp," in their profile so I know not to play them.
So, you expect them to let you in on their strategies? So, D3 and IC players should have tags that say "I chaingrab" or Marth players should have tags that say "Dancing blade is what I do... and of course F-air", or Fox players saying "All I do is drill, u-tilt"? That's just silly.

Yeah, but the thing is, when you camp back, they quit out the match. WHY? BECAUSE GETTING CAMPED ISN'T FUN. If everyone had to win every online match like it was the grand championship, all it would be would be people spamming ****ing projectiles, AND NO ONE WOULD HAVE FUN.
No, it has nothing to do with fun in the above example. It has everything to do with maturity level. If you can't take, then don't dish. If I get out-camped, then I simply say "gg" and commend the person on their play and sportsmanship- like mature, competent adults would. People who quit out of matches simply because they don't like the way it is being played by the opponent *seem* to be the type of people who whined and cried and threw a fit when they didn't get their way as a child. Again, that's just conjecture.

Furthermore, it can't be too much fun when I disconnect and they have to find someone else to play, and then they disconnect.
Again, asking TONS of people to change the way they go about playing just to sate your appetite for a super fast and action packed battle.

I don't see why they can't have fun shooting a computer over and over from across FD.
Same reason you can't have fun doing the same ol' combos on computers on FD.

The fact of the matter is, almost no one ENJOYS camping, and only do so to win, which is ridiculous when playing a FRIENDLY through a ****ty ONLINE SERVICE.
I enjoy camping. Its really rewarding to see my efforts of measuring distances, charge times, angles, and distances pay off.

If anyone does this, I'll find you and end your life with a claw hammer.
Any valid points you could have made are instantly negated by the blatant immaturity shown in that statement. Its silly. And, if you mean it- then for your own sake I suggest you enlist in anger management courses, or even seek psychiatric help.

Essentially, it all boils down to how people WANT to play. Some people don't mind campers, others do. 'Everyone' (in the 'social other' sense) loves combos because they are FLASHY, and they use the 'skill' argument to justify an otherwise baseless claim.

But, everyone is entitled to play how they want. If YOU want to d/c matches with campers, go ahead. If *I* want to camp, I will. But trying to recommend cutting out an entire style of play simply because you find it displeasing is ludicrous at best.

End.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I personally hate getting camped, it's really the most annoying thing in Smash ever...especially online, when I can't really do anything about it because of the delay.

Meh, whatever.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Someone who does it intelligently and strategically has the right to play too. It's not like it's bad to play defensively now and then. But the strategy is often confused with what noobs do, so I understand why you don't want to play with them. Just saying, you know.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm happy when people try to camp me in friendlies because learning to beat campers is such a major part of the skill in Brawl. If you don't understand that then play a new game.

The fact that it's online doesn't mean you shouldn't play to win. Seriously, stop being a scrub.
Yeah, I'll wreck you, so stfu you nobody. I play to win in TOURNAMENT *******. IF you play to win ALL OF THE TIME you won't learn anything. There is a difference between play to win and play to learn. That is why I placed 17th at Pound 3 and no one knows who the **** you are.

I agree.

But seriously, why can't you camp back at them? Surely, if you combine camping + good skills you can seriously beat them at their own game.
1.) I main Ganondorf
3.) I don't like camping

I could beat them at their own game. Of course, instead, I could have as much fun cleaning my room or doing my laundry. You know, productive stuff.

Sliq

Smash Master
And I never said that you couldn't beat campers. So... I don't know what that has to do with anything.
You posted, Why do I camp? 1.) Because I like winning. You wouldn't win if we played. You would just irritate me. Almost none of the campers would beat me, because almost everyone that camps is a scrub. Go to a tournament, you'll see what I mean.

But, that being said, a *good* camper, just doesn't mash random specials for the most part. Just like with zomg flashy combos, it takes skill to execute properly. More on this a bit later in the post.
The only problem is, all the people I've played so far are predictable scrubs. The only good camper I've played so far is Overswarm.

Combos take mindgames to set up and tech skill to execute, not to mention reading your opponent. Spamming projectiles does not. If you have some brain power, then projectiles can be used well. However, that is not the case with almost any online match.

So, just because the majority of people like something, it is automatically the correct way to do things, without any assessment of any other variables?
I had a feeling someone was going to bring this up. I didn't say anything about right or wrong assface. A majority of people would rather not camp. Doesn't mean camping isn't right, it simply means its not preferred. So why choose camping when you could have the better option?

True, to an extent. But as I alluded to above, a *GOOD* camper, puts thought into their camping maneuvers. I'm a ROB player, and I do camp until the opportunity presents itself, and then be as aggressive as possible for as long as its prudent, and then I stop, and camp again.
Congratulations on camping. I don't know the point of this. I never said it wasn't a good strategy. I said, why do it online? Why are you so serious about online play? The lagi s horrendous, and all it is good for is learning.

It takes time to learn how to effectively and skillfully camp. It takes time to learn the various trajectories for different strength of gyro throws at different levels of 'charging'. Same thing for the use of his laser. There's a lot of thought involved in it: "Should I bounce it off the ground? At what angle? Should I shoot straight forward? Should I laser-> gyro, or vice versa? What about the platform, can I bait him with the gyro to jump onto the platform, and bounce the laser off of the ground at such a trajectory to hit him from below? These are just a few questions I ask myself while playing. How is that process any less thoughtful than running forward, SH with Marth, and F-air chain? Or dancing blade?
Just because you over complicate things doesn't mean everyone does, and doesn't make camping any less annoying regardless.

I'm done with this. Just let you know, if you stand across FD and refuse to advance even when I'm winning, I'm not playing you, and I advise everyone that hates camping to do the same. I don't know where this right or wrong bull**** came along, but camping is fine in a tournament match. NOT A FRIENDLY. IT IS CALLED A FRIENDLY FOR ****S SAKE. It shouldn't be like the grand championships of a ****ing tournament when you are playing ONLINE IN A FRIENDLY. Play someone IRL in a friendly if you want to practice being a faggot.. Then the person will at least be able to fight back.

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice

yeah qffttt

If you dont like camping then you might as well not eveen try to get better, because I guarentee you that the better you get, the more campers youll experience.

btw I hope i get you in a gb match and I will camp the crap out of you...ty in advance for the free win though.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
You posted, Why do I camp? 1.) Because I like winning. You wouldn't win if we played. You would just irritate me.
Never said I could beat you. I was merely asserting that if you take into account the mechanics of the game, that it is obvious that camping will garner *more* wins against *more* people. I never once said I was good, decent, great, bad, miserable. I'm just an average player. Therefore, this ridiculous superiority complex you have means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't bother me in the least.

As far as my allusion to 'good/smart' camping, I was merely stating that that it does in fact require a thought process to do effectively. I didn't say I was awesome at it, I just stated the thoughts that go through my mind. Once more, your claim of being better than me in the game is irrelevant.
The only problem is, all the people I've played so far are predictable scrubs. The only good camper I've played so far is Overswarm.

Combos take mindgames to set up and tech skill to execute, not to mention reading your opponent. Spamming projectiles does not. If you have some brain power, then projectiles can be used well. However, that is not the case with almost any online match.
But what you are describing happens to everyone, whether or not the opponent is or is not a camper. I find it annoying to play against someone of far less skill. I'm a nice guy, and I don't take pleasure in 3-stocking someone who can barely play the game. They are entitled to play it as much as I am; and it just so happens that I happened to have picked someone not so great to play against. The same can happen at any tournament, or in any friendly.

Congratulations on camping. I don't know the point of this. I never said it wasn't a good strategy. I said, why do it online? Why are you so serious about online play? The lagi s horrendous, and all it is good for is learning.
I hate to pull out the whole "Bla bla I have a life" John, and let me make it pointedly clear that I'm not doing so. I simply go to college, have a job, on top of an internship that keeps me busy, usually throughout the weekend. So, at the moment, online play is about as close as I'll get to competition. Instead of me whining and saying "Boo, I never go to tournaments so I can never play anyone and that's why I suck" I am seeking to remedy it to the best of my abilities.

Just because you over complicate things doesn't mean everyone does, and doesn't make camping any less annoying regardless.
So, what I've garnered from this statement is that because *I* camp, the thought processes *I* go through, is considered 'overthinking' and is a bad thing. BUT, when someone who loves to play offensively puts thought into their maneuvers, assessing the outcomes of those decisions, attempt to predict their opponent, etc... its called 'skill' or 'mindgames'. Hmm. Pot, meet kettle.

As I said several times, I really don't have a problem with whatever your personal opinion is. But, drawing from psychology; I can ascertain that the underlying motive (again, simply conjecture) about this topic in general- is that you've experienced something that frustrates you, and puzzles you. But, at the same time, you know that its quite silly in the grand scheme of things to be as irked about it, and so to justify this you seek support and like-minded opinions. Again, I'm no psychiatrist, just drawing off the minor I have.

Either way, I'm sure you're a very skilled player, and far better than I, and generally a stand-up guy. I just simply disagree with you on your opinion in regards to wanting to create this... 'anti-camping' regime. So, nothing personal. ^_^"

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll wreck you, so stfu you nobody. I play to win in TOURNAMENT *******. IF you play to win ALL OF THE TIME you won't learn anything. There is a difference between play to win and play to learn. That is why I placed 17th at Pound 3 and no one knows who the **** you are.
Do you honestly think I care that you are a better player than me?

But yeah, I was wondering how a well-established tournament player could be such a scrub, but that's exactly what you are when it comes to online brawl. Maybe a player won't get better if he camps all the time, but camping is such a huge part of Brawl that you should expect to see a lot of camping from people who are trying to improve. This isn't rocket science: practice the winning strategy if you want to win.

Think about what you're saying for a second: you've come up with this arbitrary definition of "skill" that is different from "the person who wins," and you're trying to force some imaginary, arbitrary rules onto a game for this reason (where in the manual does it say "YOU CANNOT CAMP ONLINE?").

Vintage scrub behavior.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
person who posted above me, Sliq wins.

He wins online.

he wins in real life.

Camping doesn't beat him, he just finds it annoying. It is annoying. It is neither fun to camp nor to be camped. that is all he is trying to say. He is really not a scrub at all, he just gets annoyed when a bunch of n00bs do the same boring thing over and over again because they think it will net them a win.

Before you call someone a scrub, make sure you really understand what they're trying to say. Sliq isn't assigning a definition to the word skill other than "one who wins" because he does win. He is just saying that beating the same lame annoying tactic over and over again isn't fun, and he's asking the online community to not support campers.

My personal opinion is that campers may actually be looking for a disconnect for a free win, so the only way to make them stop is to repeatedly beat them mercilessly even though it's boring. This is why I don't play online.

Sliq

Smash Master
Never said I could beat you. I was merely asserting that if you take into account the mechanics of the game, that it is obvious that camping will garner *more* wins against *more* people. I never once said I was good, decent, great, bad, miserable. I'm just an average player. Therefore, this ridiculous superiority complex you have means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't bother me in the least.
I would be more humble if I weren't so awesome. Me being humble would be an affront to the great creator himself. Like putting the Mona Lisa in a garbage bag.

As far as my allusion to 'good/smart' camping, I was merely stating that that it does in fact require a thought process to do effectively. I didn't say I was awesome at it, I just stated the thoughts that go through my mind. Once more, your claim of being better than me in the game is irrelevant.
The only problem is that good/smart campers are terrible at everything else, and when someone gets around their camping, they get their **** wrecked because camping is all they did online. GG NO RE.

Furthermore, skill and tournament placement is a large portion of "credibility," something that you and a lot of people posting in this thread lack.

But what you are describing happens to everyone, whether or not the opponent is or is not a camper. I find it annoying to play against someone of far less skill. I'm a nice guy, and I don't take pleasure in 3-stocking someone who can barely play the game. They are entitled to play it as much as I am; and it just so happens that I happened to have picked someone not so great to play against. The same can happen at any tournament, or in any friendly.
The amount of relevance this has to the topic is equivalent as to the amount of patience I have with everyone on these boards (i.e. none).

I hate to pull out the whole "Bla bla I have a life" John, and let me make it pointedly clear that I'm not doing so. I simply go to college, have a job, on top of an internship that keeps me busy, usually throughout the weekend. So, at the moment, online play is about as close as I'll get to competition. Instead of me whining and saying "Boo, I never go to tournaments so I can never play anyone and that's why I suck" I am seeking to remedy it to the best of my abilities.
Dear arrogant *** face. Way to assume other people don't have other things going on in their life. Oh, and by the way, the universe doesn't revolve around you, so you can feel less guilty when you masturbate to amputee porn, because no one is watching or cares what you do.

Plus, there is such a thing as online tournaments. BOOSH! I'm wrecking your **** left and right.

So, what I've garnered from this statement is that because *I* camp, the thought processes *I* go through, is considered 'overthinking' and is a bad thing. BUT, when someone who loves to play offensively puts thought into their maneuvers, assessing the outcomes of those decisions, attempt to predict their opponent, etc... its called 'skill' or 'mindgames'. Hmm. Pot, meet kettle.
No, you ASSUMED that everyone that camps puts as much effort or thought into mashing B, which they don't.

And projectiles take skill, but far less. It isn't hard to sit across FD and spam projectiles. IT really isn't and to think it is is ludicrous. Running away and camping is easy online, when there is so much lag that countering it is hard.

As I said several times, I really don't have a problem with whatever your personal opinion is. But, drawing from psychology; I can ascertain that the underlying motive (again, simply conjecture) about this topic in general- is that you've experienced something that frustrates you, and puzzles you. But, at the same time, you know that its quite silly in the grand scheme of things to be as irked about it, and so to justify this you seek support and like-minded opinions. Again, I'm no psychiatrist, just drawing off the minor I have.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, that, wow, that is good. PHD "DuLL_RaZer" has got me pinned with his degree in not only Psychology, but bull**** as well. Way to pull out psychology on a VIDEO GAME FORUM. This assures me you are an immense tool.

Either way, I'm sure you're a very skilled player, and far better than I, and generally a stand-up guy. I just simply disagree with you on your opinion in regards to wanting to create this... 'anti-camping' regime. So, nothing personal. ^_^"
Anti-Online Camping Regime.

Camping Online won't teach you how to camp well, because online it is harder to punish. So what is going to happen is, you are going to try and camp IRL, and they are going to **** your face when they powershield all of your ****. And of course, since all you do is camp online, you don't know how to "fight," so you get your *** destroyed.

There is a difference between camping and using projectiles. Sitting across FD, REFUSING to approach at all: camping. Using projectiles for set ups and approach: NOT camping.

I will not tolerate someone REFUSING to approach, and no one else should either. Simple as that.

Do you honestly think I care that you are a better player than me?
Yes.

But yeah, I was wondering how a well-established tournament player could be such a scrub, but that's exactly what you are when it comes to online brawl.
And I'm wondering how a non-established nobody would come here and give out his opinion, expecting people to give a **** about it, especially when it is ********.

Maybe a player won't get better if he camps all the time, but camping is such a huge part of Brawl that you should expect to see a lot of camping from people who are trying to improve. This isn't rocket science: practice the winning strategy if you want to win.
Practice the winning online strategy if you want to win...online. Go to a tournament, get rocked when someone powershield all of your ****, then come back here and BAWWWW that powershielding is broken. GG NO RE.

Also, how is camping the winning startegy when I beat all the campers I play? O SHI

Think about what you're saying for a second: you've come up with this arbitrary definition of "skill" that is different from "the person who wins," and you're trying to force some imaginary, arbitrary rules onto a game for this reason (where in the manual does it say "YOU CANNOT CAMP ONLINE?").
Actually, I think you came up with that, like, when you posted it and I didn't.

Vintage scrub behavior.
Irony levels through the ****ing roof. Kill yourself son, you suck ***.

person who posted above me, Sliq wins.

He wins online.

he wins in real life.

Camping doesn't beat him, he just finds it annoying. It is annoying. It is neither fun to camp nor to be camped. that is all he is trying to say. He is really not a scrub at all, he just gets annoyed when a bunch of n00bs do the same boring thing over and over again because they think it will net them a win.

Before you call someone a scrub, make sure you really understand what they're trying to say. Sliq isn't assigning a definition to the word skill other than "one who wins" because he does win. He is just saying that beating the same lame annoying tactic over and over again isn't fun, and he's asking the online community to not support campers.

My personal opinion is that campers may actually be looking for a disconnect for a free win, so the only way to make them stop is to repeatedly beat them mercilessly even though it's boring. This is why I don't play online.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
How are you not trying to enforce arbitrary rules on the game? Look, here's what happens: noob A tries his hardest to win, and you try your hardest to win. Repeat this process until someone gets bored. Everything else is just scrub whining about making games exciting.

If a tactic is more effective online then players should be MORE inclined to use it if they are playing to win, not less. If I want to be the best I can be I'll find the best tactics for online and use them online, and I'll find the best tactics for live play and use them live. I won't baaawwww when someone uses the best tactics for ONLINE in an ONLINE match, just like how I won't complain when someone uses the best tactics offline for an offline match.

Think about the absurdity of me coming to a tournament and whining that powershielding is cheap because it would never work online. Well, that's what you're doing now.

Scrub behavior = saying that someone should not play to win. Not camping online = not playing to win. Again, this isn't rocket science.

Sliq said:
Dear arrogant *** face.
And you think my statements are ironic.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I would quote the entirety of Sliq's post, but in all honesty it is nothing more than a waste of space. Obvisouly Sliq, you can't carry on any mature discussion and instead you have to infuse it with pointless sarcasm, because you believe it is more conducive to getting your point across. Essentially: "Oh, I can't really come up with any mature argument, so I'll proceed to cuss, call people scrubs, make fun of them for no real reason, and use 'witty' (used loosely) comments. That will make me look so bad *** that everyone will be too busy pulling the obligatory "AWWW **** SON" a la something like 'Wil'n Out' to actually be concerned with whether or not anything is actually properly addressed.

You ASSUME everyone puts no effort in camping, while the fact of the matter is a lot of people do. You say good/smart campers are bad at every other facet of the game- again, and assumption obtained through having poor luck when it comes to your opponents.

And furthermore, at no single point in this thread have I said anything remotely derogatory or personal, and in fact I have given you compliments on your skill at the game, and have simply attempted to engage in a civil discussion, while on the flip side it seems impossible for you to post without trying to harass someone with insults. You're begging for a flame war, and it is obvious that you won't stop until you get someone to stoop to your level of childish insults best served for use in a playground setting.

Dear arrogant *** face. Way to assume other people don't have other things going on in their life. Oh, and by the way, the universe doesn't revolve around you, so you can feel less guilty when you masturbate to amputee porn, because no one is watching or cares what you do.
If you payed any attention to what I said- I ended it with "Im attempting to remedy it to the best of my abilities"... anyone with the cognitive capacities of a common house sponge could ascertain that playing online-- and consequently online tournaments are the substitutes that I find as 'best of my ability' (to remedy the aforementioned problem). Again, far too concerned with name-calling and sarcasm to actually read and infer meaning.

And, did I say at any point that other people don't have things to do? In fact, I prefaced it by saying "Im not meaning it as a 'I have a life, bla bla' John" which again- to anyone with any semblance of civility and maturity would put together with the rest of the statement's context to obtain the point I was trying to make; that online play is as close of a substitute to live play as some people can get because of other circumstances. Once more, you focused more on trying to berate me verbally than actually take the time to deduce the point.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, that, wow, that is good. PHD "DuLL_RaZer" has got me pinned with his degree in not only Psychology, but bull**** as well. Way to pull out psychology on a VIDEO GAME FORUM. This assures me you are an immense tool.
Again, reverting to insults and sarcasm to dodge the point. Psychology is the study of human behavior and mental processes. So, it is a relevant topic in any discussion, be it on... sandwhiches, lifespan development, and even video game forums when it comes to attempting to understand where the other person is coming from. Again, you've once more missed the point.

But, really-- why should I even bother trying to speak intelligently to you? I forgot whose signature it was that read (to paraphrase): To refuse to get into a discussion with idiots, because they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I find this extremely relevant to each and every statement you make.

Aside from that, I submit the thread be closed on one fact alone: Because obviously, in all his delusions of grandeur and megalomania, which are obviously to be taken as fact- the great and unconquerable Sliq in all his majesty has deemed that he is correct, and therefore his will and decisions are unquestionable to such a degree that if he were to say that the sky is purple and the grass is blue, Crayola should immediately discontinue any color that refers to the sky previously being blue, or the grass green. Oh, blessed are we to be enlightened in His majesty! /sarcasm

At any rate, I'm done with this 'discussion'. I've made my points, and they have been countered only with: "Bah, you suck. Im better, so I'm right!", "Haha, I made jokes that in no way address anything in a civil manner, under the auspices that people will find my statements correct because of aforementioned lame attempt at sarcasm" which leads to me winning the internet!"

In closing, I'll be free to discuss this and whatever else you'd like at any time whenever it is that you learn simple civil discourse.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I can tolerate camping but sometimes it gets ridiculous. Like, once I was in a friendly match with a camping spamming Wolf who was just shooting lasers and swatting me away with his impossible-to-punish-online smashes. He was literally just standing there shooting and I couldn't approach him and get more than attack off. So, I decided to just walk to the other side of the stage and start taunting to see what he would do. Lo and behold, he was completely unphased by that. He continued to just stand there on the side of the stage, motionless, pressing B over and over. That continued for like a minute then I got bored and started approaching again and got owned.

I don't really get it.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Dull_Razer could win an argument on articulation alone, his typing is very easy on the eyes. Battle Sometime?

Anyways as for problems camping, get a character to punish campers like Spacies, Pit, Lucus, Ness, Game and watch, Mario or even someone like Peach or the Links and make them pay for their sins.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i agree with sliq in that i find it completely useless to camp a friendly match, let alone a lag-prone wifi friendly. that being said, dull razer completely had sliq's number in that sliq has a very bad habit of turning his side of a debate based argument into a insult ridden flamewar. from everything ive heard, you're a life of the party at tournaments and nobody has a reason to hate you in person; in these internet arguments, however, the disrespect you show for others is beyond understandable.

Sliq

Smash Master
Let's side with the guy that didn't place 17th at Pound 3. He must know what he is talking about, as he was good enough to do place high in many major tournaments, only losing to Mango and Mew2King in Bracket at Pound 3, you know, the guys that got first and second. Let's listen to him. He has the experience to back his claims.

Playing to learn and playing to win are 2 different concepts. But ignore me, what do I know, I was only the Midwest's best Jigglypuff after Prime retired. That other dude, the one know one has heard of, hes going to try and logic his way to the top. OR probably not, because he sucks.

Really long rebuttal.
I didn't read your post because it seemed entirely irrelevant, as you try to take the high road by insulting me for insulting you, which is mind boggling, as I did it for teh lulz, but you believe your own **** and take the internet seriously.

But trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Once again, I rocked faces at tournaments while you guys were writing naruto fanfic and masturbating to the naruto fanfic you just wrote.

Play to learn in friendlies, play to win in tournaments. OR don't listen and be awful. I really don't care. I just figured I'd try to rally me some troops to put the bed the massive failure that is online Brawl.
Dull_Razer could win an argument on articulation alone, his typing is very easy on the eyes. Battle Sometime?

Anyways as for problems camping, get a character to punish campers like Spacies, Pit, Lucus, Ness, Game and watch, Mario or even someone like Peach or the Links and make them pay for their sins.
You are under the impression I have a problem punishing camping, and don't just find it annoying, and worthless.

i agree with sliq in that i find it completely useless to camp a friendly match, let alone a lag-prone wifi friendly. that being said, dull razer completely had sliq's number in that sliq has a very bad habit of turning his side of a debate based argument into a insult ridden flamewar. from everything ive heard, you're a life of the party at tournaments and nobody has a reason to hate you in person; in these internet arguments, however, the disrespect you show for others is beyond understandable.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VDfJw6tVWU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EWg2ZtzsrDA

GG NO RE.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
If online wasn't a ridiculous lag fest where everything you tell your character to do happens 1-2seconds afterwards, I wouldn't care about camping. But thanks to the defensive nature of Brawl, you have to time your attacks in order to punish their openings, but that is next to impossible thanks to the button lag.

I just don't understand the fascination with camping online. NEWS FLASH, 70% of the games player base are not very good. So not only did you beat a bunch of random noobs, you did it in a laggy environment. That sure is some skill...

Don't get me wrong, it can take skill to camp, especially to make it so you have a great wall set up. But for everyone else's sanity I'd appreciate it if you didn't camp. Play how ever you want, but just remember to be a good sport. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you need to make the lead larger, if that makes sense.

Meh, that's my 2 cents. I gave up with playing online seriously about a week ago. Now I play as Wario and Bike Spam or Capt. Falcon and Punch Spam.

"FALCON PUNCH"
"Show me your moves!!"

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
This is why I think Brawl fails to an extreme level.

Anyone know the game RAKION?

Best free fighting online game ever. At least, when no one goes camping.

Any game where camping and defending yourself is always an advantage over going on the offensive fails automatically. Unless you play with people you know won't do it.

Which is why I love Brawl only with my friends. Thats all Brawl is about now. The camping stinks and is completely ********, I don't care if it makes people win, and it'll be everywhere. This will be the death of the game, same as Rakion, which died because of this. Not that it is entirely dead, but its not worth playing anymore.

If I did play online, thats what I would do. Want to camp? Go suck a lemon and leave, I'm here to have fun, not to have some ******** camping fight. End of the line.

Sliq

Smash Master
*record scratch*

Good lord man. Why? No wonder you hate camping lol

I have broken campers' shields online with Ganon :laugh:

Side B still goes through some projectiles >.>

SH dair those hoes
Ganondorf is way better than people give him credit for, and I'll prove that soon enough.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
No doubt about that, I play Ganon too. He's underrated imo. You're talking about projectile camping/spam right? I just think he has a much harder time than most characters when it comes to dealing with spam and camping.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ganondorf is way better than people give him credit for, and I'll prove that soon enough.
He has no priority, he's slow as heck, all his attacks are really obvious when you start them, and he has no jump range. In addition, his hotbox is large and he's heavy, which means that he's pretty easy to KO if you hit him horizontally.

So, uh, how is he good again?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Well it helps if you actually know something about Ganon

Do you know what priority is? From what I can see Ganon does not have a significantly high amount of priority nor does he lack it. Side B is a grab, take that for what it's worth. Grabs have very high priority btw.

Slow? Running left to right, sure he's slow. His attacks come out very quickly though. There aren't many characters with attacks as fast as Ganons that have as much power. Ftilt for example. His attacks are no less obvious than anyone else's, not counting Warlock Punch. rofl. And there's this really cool thing called auto-canceled aerials. Ganon benefits from them greatly. Short hopped aerials with zero landing lag? I'll take it!

Because Ganon is heavy, it's HARDER to kill him horizontally.

Nobody's saying ROFL TOP TIRE, but I agree with Sliq, Ganon is much better than people give him credit for.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
This thread makes me lol. Know your options and camping won't be an issue. Well, it may still be for Ganon, but a Ganon player should have a developed defensive game anyway.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Why do people have a problem with zoning? That's all it is.

Yes it's done with projectiles now, yes it's annoying, and yes it's boring; but people wanted a new game and they got it.

Why in gods name would you ask somebody not to do what wins? I mean sure smash was not made to be competitive (yes smash, not brawl, not melee, smash as a whole), but it is, and that's how you win.

If camping is really that boring, and it doesnt mean anything; then come slap me in the face with this thread when you win EVO.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
This thread is ridiculous since combos aren't even existent in this game, it isnt very fun to play aggressively anymore because you dont see excellent or worthwhile results. Its a matter of hitting buttons faster than the other player now to hit them because of lack of much stun time. Brawl is a button mashing game. Camping and spacing are how you compete now. Thats why I play Melee cause other tactics exist.

Playing to win is how you should play it makes you better and learn more that way.

Sliq

Smash Master
He has no priority, he's slow as heck, all his attacks are really obvious when you start them, and he has no jump range. In addition, his hotbox is large and he's heavy, which means that he's pretty easy to KO if you hit him horizontally.

So, uh, how is he good again?
Yeah, you joined a month ago. No response necessary on my part.

56k basically owned you for me anywats. BOOSH!

Where is all this stupidity coming from? I never said you shouldn't camp...WHEN IT MATTERS.

A friendly, let alone an ONLINE FRIENDLY, shouldn't be taken as serious as the finals of a tournament. Why? Because you don't experiment in a tournament match. You execute what works. And if what works doesn't work, you have to throw out the **** that you painstakingly drove into your head and think up something on the fly.

If you EXPERIMENT in friendlies, you can figure out new ****, and thus have MORE OPTIONS TO YOUR DISPOSAL. Therefore, if one doesn't work, you have another to fall back on, and aren't pulling **** out of your *** desperately.

Camping in friendlies is a sure fire whay to completely limit yourself as a player. But lets not listen to me. I mean, I definately don't have experience on my side, plus I was a terrible Melee player that hardy ever placed well or beat anyone well known. Wait a second...

Also, ONCE AGAIN, I don't have a problem beating camping and spam. It is just annoying and unfun. Why you guys keeping bringing ti up I'll never understand.

Oh, and I will win Evo.

Nato.

Smash Cadet
My way to deal with camping :
-Set item drop to High
-Disable everything except Franklin Badge
-Have fun !

Top Bottom