• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I constantly wonder if his grab shenanigans will get patched out. It seems like it'd be the type of thing to get patched if it were in vanilla, but the fact that they patched it in and must of tested it makes me unsure if they will. I hope they don't.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Anyone have any thoughts regarding the DK vs Knuckles Death Battle? I'd like to post my opinion, but don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Anyone else excited for the new patch? The Mario Maker level is going to be amazing, but I am personally hoping for c-stick set to smash to get fixed along with untechable grounded spikes, techable footstools, and Sakurai unlocking all custom moves. Some DK QoL buffs would be cool too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Has anyone here played DK in Skylanders? He's super fun. I made the mistake of going TNT path when spike path is clearly better for Nightmare runs though.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone here played DK in Skylanders? He's super fun. I made the mistake of going TNT path when spike path is clearly better for Nightmare runs though.
No I haven't, but I do wan't to try the game out sometime. If only just for DK and Bowser, those figures look amazing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So I just discovered that when DK blinks it looks like he's wearing shades

DK with the ****en swaglord blink-shades

a dog

Smash Cadet
Hello all, a dog here. I'm playing DK as a secondary. I used to main him in Brawl (not the most fun game to play DK), but that was before dog was a part of the roster. He's the only one of my old mains that I feel is still good - in fact, I think I like him better here than in Brawl. Great all-around character.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Got first at my monthly going all DK! I'll have videos up soon. Proud to rep the leader of the bunch

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Hey guys is there a DK Discord chat?
Just wondering - i really want to level up my DK and chat with other DK mains about how to inflict dank memes on everyone. :p

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
DK was featured in the latest episode of My Smash Corner. It's got some great info for us:
Anyone else not know that Giant Punch is actually STRONGER at 8-10 wind-ups than when fully charged?

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
DK was featured in the latest episode of My Smash Corner. It's got some great info for us:
Anyone else not know that Giant Punch is actually STRONGER at 8-10 wind-ups than when fully charged?
There was a lot of stuff he didn't mention

For example-
Double bair is sometimes true
Uthrow-Bair-upb being true on some characters
Uthrow-upb
Uthrow-nair-upb
Uthrow-fair spike near the ledge

There's probably more stuff missing that I can't think of right now

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm starting to succumb to the king of swing. I've been playing him more than usual. The amount of spikes I've gotten is ridiculous.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Don't think DK got any changes in version 1.1.3, last I read.

Anyway, you guys have any advice on playing DK in doubles?

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
If i were you I would watch DKWill's doubles sets, DK plays very defensively in doubles since you can get comboed to high %s easily and his size gets him hit by stray attacks all the time. He basically just a high punisher and edge guarder so be patient and get you hard grab punishes and edge guards when the opportunities arise and try and tank stocks as much as possible.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Not gonna Lie I've recently picked up DK ( about a month or so ago ) and I must admit he's fun to use. Still improving with him as he's the first heavy character I actually ever put time into so it's gonna take some time to get use to...

Jya

Smash Rookie
Hey whats up DK boards I have a question about some DK tech. Can you jump b reverse your giant punch charge in the air? I've definitely seen it done on stream but I can't replicate it myself. I've been able to b reverse pretty much everything else under the sun. Did I see it wrong? Am I a scrub? Help me DK mains! I can also provide a video if need be.

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
I figure it's probably not okay to **** post like this to find one person but I've been sifting through profiles for a while with no luck. Was disappointed to see there wasn't a dong locator thread made yet.

Just want to find this guy for more dong enlightenment since he was bodying me in dittos. Would love some more matches man.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I figure it's probably not okay to **** post like this to find one person but I've been sifting through profiles for a while with no luck. Was disappointed to see there wasn't a dong locator thread made yet.

Just want to find this guy for more dong enlightenment since he was bodying me in dittos. Would love some more matches man.
You are probably better off searching for Eddo in this thread.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I played DK a lot earlier, but then started to focus mainly on Ganondorf and Wario. Then, lately, I starte playing DK agiain. I forgot just how fun he is. He is a big guy, powerful, yet he has so goo combo potential with his fast areals, down tilt, etc. He is one of the few characters who can bury opponents, and his Cargo Throw... oh god, his Cargo Throw. The fact that he can actually pick up opponents and carry them is insanely fun. He has 7 different throws, all of them look so brutal, hilarious and awesome. He's the king of meteor smashes, having friggin' 4 different ones.

And his taunts are, imo, the 3 best in the game.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Yo. What's up, everyone? (. . . Kind of dead here, isn't it?)

Anyway, I felt like I'd share this video I made for the heck of it; Enjoy playing Donkey Kong, I always have, but only recently have I started developing him a little more seriously (this video being day 1). It's nothing too serious, really, just a small, fun excerpt of clips from the hour-long or so lab session I had, edited into a video. Really enjoy expressing this character! ;w;

* Note: I was going back and forth with myself on whether or not to post this in the DK video thread, but I figured it not being something like a combo video and / or match content, it'd be more appropriately placed here for now, at least until I decide to upload some of my 1 vs. 1's to the video thread, perhaps in the near'ish future.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

Anyway, I felt like I'd share this video I made for the heck of it; Enjoy playing Donkey Kong, I always have, but only recently have I started developing him a little more seriously (this video being day 1). It's nothing too serious, really, just a small, fun excerpt of clips from the hour-long or so lab session I had, edited into a video. Really enjoy expressing this character! ;w;

* Note: I was going back and forth with myself on whether or not to post this in the DK video thread, but I figured it not being something like a combo video and / or match content, it'd be more appropriately placed here for now, at least until I decide to upload some of my 1 vs. 1's to the video thread, perhaps in the near'ish future.

Nice clip. I hope you enjoy messing around some more with DK in the future. Don't think too hard about posting stuff in here, mostly because the point of this thread is to be able to post pretty much anything that isn't spam. Feel free to post more stuff and more often.

DanDanChan

Smash Rookie

Dude... what even are these shenanigans?! Your lab vid is amazing, and it makes me want to improve my Kong! How do get such crisp flowing movement like that?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Nice clip. I hope you enjoy messing around some more with DK in the future. Don't think too hard about posting stuff in here, mostly because the point of this thread is to be able to post pretty much anything that isn't spam. Feel free to post more stuff and more often.

I appreciate it, friend, and I will keep that in mind from here on out.
As for posting things, at least when it comes to my own game-play or what-have-you. . . It is going to have to wait, unfortunately; I didn't break it, but I messed up one of my knuckles (index finger) recently, so holding a controller (amongst other things I cannot due at the moment now, either) isn't the most comfortable thing in the world right now. Ha ha. Just need to take the time to recuperate.

Dude... what even are these shenanigans?! Your lab vid is amazing, and it makes me want to improve my Kong! How do get such crisp flowing movement like that?
Really appreciate the comment, yo! When I hear I inspire someone to improve or what-have-you in anything (SSB aside), it honestly kind of gives me my own self-inspiration in a way too, so I am grateful. ^_^

Anyway, to answer your question as bluntly as possible, it just comes down to knowing what you are doing, and developing it in a repetitious manner; I'm a firm believer (especially since I dance as a B-boy in my personal life as well) that a flowing motion comes about after training said motions / movements (correctly) over and over again. The more you do something, the more natural and 'second-nature' it then becomes, whether it be a sequence of movements, or one movement in of itself (your own combos / strings, punish reactions, etc.). I kind of look at things from more kinesiological, philosophical and anatomical standpoints, in all honesty, so I'll try to keep it tame here when I say that I believe the true expression of a character comes from knowing how they operate in all aspects (movement, their physical properties and et cetera (although when it comes to something like frames or whatever, I just look at it as "this is fast, this is not", lmao)). . . Not to say that it is necessary of you or anyone else to have to perceive things this way or that way; It is not, but I'm just giving my own answer to you, is all. It's less complex than it sounds, but I could understand if not so much for others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom